Author Topic: Hello from Spain  (Read 2027 times)

Offline AlonsoQuijano

Hello from Spain
« on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 15:16:24 »
Hi all,

I'm Alonso and I arrived here searching for information regarding keyboards.
I didn't expect a keyboard enthusiast forum to exist, but here we are.
This week I'm receiving a new (to me) IBM Model M. My father had one that I sometimes used and now it's time to treat me well also :-)
I hope this don't spark any gear adquisition syndrome...

Best regards to all

Offline Maledicted

Re: Hello from Spain
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 16:22:40 »
Hi Alonso. Welcome to Geekhack.

Yeah, Geekhack is a wonderful hidden gem, isn't it?

Nice. What part number/manufacturer/year M are you getting?

Don't worry, this is only the beginning. I guarantee it. *cue sinister music*

Have you tried any other mechanical keyboards? Had you tried your father's M?
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2020, 16:29:50 by Maledicted »

Offline AlonsoQuijano

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 13:31:24 »

Thanks for the reception.
I've already received the keyboard, its a IBM Model M - 1391405 - circa 1.986, that I belive is the same as my father's
It's in very good condition, but I have to clean it a bit, though. I've ordered the 5.5mm tool to dismount it and a new SDL to USB SOARER'S cable.
I really haven't tried much other keyboards, apart from gaming ones, so it could be really the beginning  :cool:

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 14:23:08 »

Thanks for the reception.
I've already received the keyboard, its a IBM Model M - 1391405 - circa 1.986, that I belive is the same as my father's
It's in very good condition, but I have to clean it a bit, though. I've ordered the 5.5mm tool to dismount it and a new SDL to USB SOARER'S cable.
I really haven't tried much other keyboards, apart from gaming ones, so it could be really the beginning  :cool:

86, so you've got a nice heavy early one then. Metal badge, right? Using it with a computer that doesn't have a ps/2 port? I have one of the cables you speak of, they do work pretty well, but there's something nice about using the original cable too.

If you like the Model M, you need to try an F.

Offline AlonsoQuijano

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 01:18:43 »
Yes, I'm using the original cable through a PS/2-USB converter.
Damn! One week with the model M and now exploring the web for an F  :rolleyes:

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 03:05:01 »

Well, you've got your dad's keyboard, that's still something special to have even if you end up preferring an F. If you try to save money and get an F XT, be absolutely sure you're going to be able to adjust to the layout. It is too weird for most people, including myself. You can still find F ATs (which can be ANSI modded) for $200, or less, from time to time, but most people seem to be looking for at least $300 on Ebay lately. Mechmarket and the classifieds section on here may be your friend in that regard.

Then there's also these monstrosities:

Brand New Model F Keyboards

If you feel that you need F keys and/or both a nav cluster and number pad, like an M, then you need to try to find an F107 or F122, which are both quickly becoming more expensive than the rest.

Offline AlonsoQuijano

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 11:25:30 »

Well, you've got your dad's keyboard, that's still something special to have even if you end up preferring an F. If you try to save money and get an F XT, be absolutely sure you're going to be able to adjust to the layout. It is too weird for most people, including myself. You can still find F ATs (which can be ANSI modded) for $200, or less, from time to time, but most people seem to be looking for at least $300 on Ebay lately. Mechmarket and the classifieds section on here may be your friend in that regard.

If you feel that you need F keys and/or both a nav cluster and number pad, like an M, then you need to try to find an F107 or F122, which are both quickly becoming more expensive than the rest.

Thanks for your help. At the moment, I've completely dismantled and cleaned the keyboard (soooo much dust inside) and I'm loving it, plus the sentimentals...
So I'll put the model F on hold for a while. But thanks again, anyway.   

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 18:15:01 »

Thanks for your help. At the moment, I've completely dismantled and cleaned the keyboard (soooo much dust inside) and I'm loving it, plus the sentimentals...

Absolutely, any time. Any broken plastic rivtets on the plate sandwich?

Offline AlonsoQuijano

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 00:22:20 »

Absolutely, any time. Any broken plastic rivtets on the plate sandwich?

No broken anything, fortunately. Two black caps (or al least made from a lighter grey) underneath a couple of keycaps was the only thing to mention.
I'm an engineer and alwaya is a pleasure for me to watch things made "as it should be", with that sturdy frame and innovative solutions at the time like the curved metalboard for the keys to be identical.
The thing puts the actual plastic keyboards to shame. It's a beauty and the aspect that gives to the whole computer setup is magnificent.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:58:25 »
No broken anything, fortunately. Two black caps (or al least made from a lighter grey) underneath a couple of keycaps was the only thing to mention.
I'm an engineer and alwaya is a pleasure for me to watch things made "as it should be", with that sturdy frame and innovative solutions at the time like the curved metalboard for the keys to be identical.
The thing puts the actual plastic keyboards to shame. It's a beauty and the aspect that gives to the whole computer setup is magnificent.

That's good to hear. I have some Unicomp stems that have black sliders. I think all of my original M caps have grey sliders, but I'm far from an expert on the subject. Maybe some are Unicomp replacements?

That curved plate is wonderful, to be sure. It is especially nice now, for enthusiasts, because we can buy caps with whatever we like printed on them and place them anywhere, without having to worry about conforming to a row's profile.

You're not wrong. The Model M is a dead breed, one that was already dying in its heyday. It was from a time when it was mainstream to value the experience when typing on a keyboard, and a minimum of quality was all but demanded by users of all kinds. Now we've devolved to the point that a significant portion of the population seems content with Apple's paper thin scissor switch "keyboards".