Author Topic: Hello there  (Read 2235 times)

Offline ZenMaverick

Hello there
« on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 19:48:34 »
Just recently converted into pc gaming, with that I'm in the process of building a pc. I've done a lot of lurking around here and other forums and my last component leads to a keyboard. I am interested in a mechanical keyboard and I heard geekhack was a more knowledgeable place for this. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to this but I've narrowed it down to Leopold or Filco, preferably a Tenkeyless (brown switch). As of right now Filco boards aren't as accessible to me as a Leopold. My one friend who owns a Leopold (red) urges me to go with Leopold, but I read here and other places that Filco is the way to go. If Filcos are really worth it should I just wait until they become available? Should I just go with a Lepold since they are readily available? Help is much appreciated.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello there
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 19:53:12 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Leopold has a non-standard space bar if you are looknig at replacing it with a custom one at some stage.

Or a CoolerMaster QuickFire Rapid is a good board, TKL, possibly available in MX browns.  And, for me at least, is one of the cheaper but good boards available.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ZenMaverick

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 20:15:42 »
Thanks for the quick response! I also considered a Cm qfr brown. I read they are more or less the same quality of a Filco board, don't quote me on it, can anyone confirm this? Also Filco and the cm qfr share the same oem- costar. As for the spacebar on the Leo, the tkl has a replaceable space bar available. There is an available option for a used Filco tkl, but I'm hesitant to buy it. In comparison to the Leo and Filco would the qfr be the best buy?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 20:22:05 »
Yes, QRF <=> Filco quality-wise (from what I have read).

Dunno about Filco, but QFR has Costar stabilisers.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 20:56:02 »
so does filco
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline ZenMaverick

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 21:35:54 »
So the consensus would be to go for the *Qfr since it's more or less the same quality as the Filco?
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 October 2012, 21:54:16 by ZenMaverick »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 21:47:09 »
If two people can form a consensus, then yes, it appears so.

My QFR (disclaimer: only had it for a couple of weeks) seems a good, solid board.  I got it because my Filco order was cancelled as the board I had ordered was no longer available.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 23:08:39 »
Both Filco and the CM Quickfire Rapid (but not the PRO version) are made by Costar, so the quality is quite similar actually.

Anyways, feel welcome in here, mate!
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline ZenMaverick

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 08 November 2012, 16:32:24 »
Not sure where else to post this... I can show pics but the camera quality on my phone is mediocre, but today I just received my Quick Fire Rapid brown switch. I'm typing on it as I post this. I'm super happy with it, I heard the delivery truck outside then I jumped up off my seat and ran to the door like a little kid waking up on Christmas. Then I opened the door and saw the package I've been waiting all day for. After opening the package I started typing on the keys and I have to say that mechanical keyboards feel so good to type on. Sure beats the keys on my laptop. Also I seemed to have receive a keyboard with much less branding than depicted in the pictures. Thank you WhiteDragon and Rowdy for helping me with deciding what keyboard to purchase. You people here at GeekHack are pretty awesome. Now I'm tempted to try reds and blues...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 08 November 2012, 16:40:54 »
Congratulations!

Once you go mechanical, you can never go back.  I am still very happy with my QRF, but wish I had more opportunity to use it.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 23:22:17 »

Grats on your board. It must feel orgasmic right?
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers