geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

TMK USB to USB keyboard converter

<< < (171/184) > >>

suicidal_orange:
Great!  So if Lucky_Marsupial loads the attached firmware then applies his(?) home row modifiers the tapping term change will still be in effect?  That's much easier than him setting up some way to compile :)

Lucky_Marsupial:
@suicidal orange, thank you for trying!

Hasu, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to set up a VM or WSL for this—just seems beyond my skill set. But I'm wondering—since the website is somehow compiling the hex file on the backend, is there a way you could have a form on that page that would allow users to add variable settings like tapping term that would overwrite the defaults, and the site could just check for those before compiling? I really don't know how the compiling aspect works, but if I can define keymaps on the website, then maybe it could let users define some variable settings also? Or (and I know this is more work for you) there could be an optional section that lists all of the variable settings in the default and lets users edit them before downloading a compiled version? You could even start by just doing this for tapping term and any other settings that are commonly requested to change.

Lastly, "load keymap from firmware" after uploading a hex file is not working for me and "Keyboard output for debug" is always blank (I assume it is supposed to show something when you have the cursor in the box and type something). This is on Win 10 and Firefox 104. Any ideas on what to try to load the keymap? What is the keyboard output supposed to do/show?

Thanks for the help!

hasu:
Keymap Editor doesn't compile firmware on line, it just replaces keymap portion in prebuilt firmware.
It is difficult or impossible to change the setting on current Keymap Editor.

I think "load keymap from firmware" should work with 'Unimap' firmware somewhat. Default prebuilt firmwares available on Keymap Editor or github are buillt as Unimap firmware by me.
Where does your firmware come from? (TMK firmware can be compilied with 8-bit 'keymap' and actionmap, in addition to unimap.)

And can you describe in detail about "after uploading a hex file is not working"? Screenshots of Keymap Editor would be helpful for me to understand the issue.

And you can upload your hex fire here or other place so that I can try it on Keymap Editor.

Lucky_Marsupial:

--- Quote from: hasu on Wed, 07 September 2022, 20:35:17 ---I think "load keymap from firmware" should work with 'Unimap' firmware somewhat. Default prebuilt firmwares available on Keymap Editor or github are buillt as Unimap firmware by me.
Where does your firmware come from? (TMK firmware can be compilied with 8-bit 'keymap' and actionmap, in addition to unimap.)

--- End quote ---

Sorry if I am not following, but I am using the USB to USB converter. I didn't try to load firmware specific to my keyboard, because I thought that was only for keyboards that had the ability to be programmed directly. I just plug my keyboard (Unicomp) into the converter. For the TMK hex file and keymap editor, I chose the usb-usb converter firmware. I don't know what "unimap" is even though I see it mentioned on the editor page.

--- Quote from: hasu on Wed, 07 September 2022, 20:35:17 ---And can you describe in detail about "after uploading a hex file is not working"? Screenshots of Keymap Editor would be helpful for me to understand the issue.

And you can upload your hex fire here or other place so that I can try it on Keymap Editor.

--- End quote ---

I use the Keymap editor, dowloaded a firmware hex file, and used it to flash my usb-usb converter successfully. Later I closed the browser and restarted the computer. I opened the Keymap editor page and selected the radio button "File" under "Base Firmware File". I chose the hex file that I downloaded earlier and clicked "Load keymap from firmware". I expected to see the keymap that I created earlier appear on the Keymap Editor webpage so I could change a few key mappings. But, the keymap that I see on the Editor is the default map that the usb-usb converter ships with, rather than the new layout I created and flashed to the converter.

I will attach the hex file here. Thanks for the help.

hasu:
Hi,
Yes, you are using correct firmware file. Firmware file that you attached is valid (unimap firmware) file for Keymap Editor.
I confirmed Keymap Editor loaded keymap from your firmware, see pictures below. I used Chrome(105) and Firefox(104) on ubuntu Linux to test it. In the pictures Chrome is shown on left and Firefox on right.

--- Quote --- I opened the Keymap editor page and selected the radio button "File" under "Base Firmware File". I chose the hex file that I downloaded earlier and clicked "Load keymap from firmware".

--- End quote ---
This seems to me be correct procedure to load keymap from your firmware file. And this is exactly what I did for the test.

I don't know why this doesn't work on your site. This may be specific to Windows?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version