geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] Keebsake Artisan Tray - (6.5.21 Update)

(1/13) > >>

KevenKeys:
Keebsake Artisan Case / Tray
The Keebsake is a premium artisan display case / tray with a small footprint, 2.25u support, and modular inserts (aluminum only).

***Updates***
8.11.21 - LIDS!

Hope everyone is having a great summer so far! I really appreciate all of the feedback and hearing how eager many of you are for this case! I apologize for the length of time between updates and had planned on posting an update a few weeks ago. I got caught up with life, back end planning, adjusting the lid design, prototyping multiple lids, and finding other manufacturers to bring a quality lid that costs less.

The initial lid I ordered felt too flimsy (and eventually even cracked in 2 corners) and I wasn't 100% happy on the fit. The photo above is of the new thicker designs. They came out really nice and I've been using them for about 3 weeks . They are holding up perfectly but I can't decide which one I like more. Since it was all of you who asked for a lid, I'd like to ask for your input on the lids and the premium inserts (brass & potentially copper). Please fill out the form here (will leave open for a week): https://forms.gle/UnDmUpF9H3Gzvrnx9

I have taller lids arriving in a week or 2, to test accommodating taller artisans like Mervin (Crafted by Annie), Apollo (Clackeys) & Ori (ArcanaKeys). Currently everything else fits even knobs! No promises on whether the taller lids will make the cut but I will update you once I see them.

As for the results of the last round of feedback. The colors are now updated below. I decided to call the aluminum purple case Orchid. I recently picked up a lilac Devastating TKL and my purple color feels closer to orchid.

I should have another update once I close the feedback form in a week. Pricing & GB dates are around the corner. More info to come!

Had a brass insert made for those who are interested in a brass insert as either their primary insert or as an additional one. Came out pretty epic!

The latest aluminum prototypes arrived! These reflect the final product for the aluminum Keebsake with modular inserts to provide compatibility for different artisan sizes.
Looking for one more round of feedback before running the GB. Greatly appreciate the input! IC FORM: CLOSED

I am exploring a lid but this may come down the road. Prototype ordered.

2nd round of polycarbonate prototypes arrived. These are not dyed but rather painted.
Manufacturer remaking the smoke color due to some finish issues. The remade version should arrive in a few weeks.
This polycarbonate version will become a budget option vs. the aluminum at the expense of not being modular. In addition to color, 2 formats will be offered for selection – 1u and 2.25u

ABOUT ME, DESIGN INSPIRATION & INITIAL PROTOTYPES:
More

About Me:

* Hello everyone, my name is Kevin and outside of my career I dabble in music production, photography, and wood-working among other things.
I’ve been in this super fun hobby for a year. It started with a friend raving about his Key65 which led me to buy my first 60%.... an AnnePro2. I then moved on to an acrylic Tofu and a few weeks after that I was buying everything in sight. In the process, I fell in love with RAMA artisans and handmade artisans.
Why Did I Make This Case?

* I wanted a small display for my artisans that had support for 2.25u artisans. Design Inspiration:

* Stream deck / Macropads / WKL …………..let me explain
* My initial prototype was smaller and was inspired by Macropads and stream decks for their angle. I loved the way Alexotos and Taeha would have their macropads sitting on their desks with fun artisans.
* I wanted to find a way to elegantly support 2.25u artisans and match my boards. Enter one of my favorite aesthetics in the keyboard scene… WKL.There Is Another Project With This Name!

* After coming up with what seemed like a great name (a play on keepsakes) months ago, it turns out an awesome person came up with it 2.5 years ago for a neat way of storing their keycaps! JwordFish was kind enough to let me share in the name for the product. Check out his project at www.Keebsake.com which will lead you to his project on Instagram! He is still very much interested in making them a reality and plans to continue prototyping new sizes! He has other ideas up his sleeve as well! Check it out and let him know if you like his project!

Details / Roadmap
Features:

* Designed to hold 14 1u artisans or ten 1u PLUS two 2.25u artisans. The slots run larger than the typical keycap size to make room for larger artisans like Ookeys from Hungry Hustlers (They are thicc)
* Aluminum + Polycarb variants will be offered. The aluminum version is modular to allow for customization and increase compatibility down the road.
* The aluminum version is made of 6063.
* The polycarb versions are painted vs. dyed. The finish is great and durable. This is how I am attempting to achieve a budget option.
* ”Keebsake” logo has different placement on polycarb (back of the top piece) vs aluminum (bottom side).Pricing

* TBD but poly will be budget option vs. aluminum QTY

* Based on feedback I believe we will hit at least 100 units. I will leave the GB open for 2 weeks. Colors:

* Aluminum - E-white, Black (anodized) & Orchid (anodized)
* Inserts (anodized) - Silver, Black, Orchid & Gold
* Premium inserts TBA
* Poly - Clear, Smoke & Lilac (these are painted, NOT dyed) Next steps / Road map

* Looking to obtain feedback from the community before running the GB
* If there is international interest please fill out the form and let me know where you are from <3
* Hoping to run May sometime between June - early July but I have to make sure I am 100% satisfied with the project Contact:

* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevenkeys/
* Feel free to chat with me about the project and let me know your thoughts! Or just say hello…. That’s fun too!

MIGHTY CHICKEN:
Chicken enjoys

Arila:
Oh my God, YES!! I need this!!! Beautiful case, very elegant -- definitely getting one  :D

KevenKeys:
*Update* So I am hoping to get more feedback in the google forms so I have a larger sample size to go off of BUT so far It looks like I need to offer E-white and need to change fonts. I am 100% in support of that. I only used the font I had to test the idea of having the engraving in the first place. Now is a good time to play with some changes since I have a few days before the factory returns from CNY and begins my 2nd round of prototypes. I am going to swap E-white in and pull the gray one out. Also in the feedback form someone suggested what turned out to be an awesome font. Here are some screenshots of the model with the new font:

I love this new font. Can you guys tell me what you think of this font please?

--- Quote from: MIGHTY CHICKEN on Fri, 12 February 2021, 18:57:47 ---Chicken enjoys

--- End quote ---

Thank you :)

--- Quote from: Arila on Fri, 12 February 2021, 19:00:07 ---Oh my God, YES!! I need this!!! Beautiful case, very elegant -- definitely getting one  :D

--- End quote ---

Haha thank you!

Cer4sum:
Haha,  SO SICK. Good job :)

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version