geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] BnB87: Gasket Mount TKL

(1/23) > >>

Lbibass:

no longer working with alf as of 5/2/19. Will have more info soon.
update: 4/8/19: paid for prototypes from Alf. Should be done in ~20 days?

Update: 4/4/19: I have received pricing from Alf. Right now, I am thinking about how I want to price this board. But expect it to be less than $400.

Oh yeah: And the prototype has been ordered.  ;D

Update: 3/29/19

Still waiting to hear back from Alf.

Update: 3/23/19

I sent the files to Alf. Currently waiting for quotes on pricing.

Update: 3/2/19
So I am back again. I've made some minor changes (well not really, they are pretty major). As of right now, unless there are some major pushbacks, I am going to be limiting the options for this GB. It's a small one, at least for the US, so it makes sense to me at least that the fewer options the less chance of either me or the factory making a mistake in the orders. Right now, my plans are for a polycarbonate only GB. There will be a relatively small brass weight in the center.

Right now I am trying to make two decisions: Whether or not to have WKL blockers. In terms of aesthetics, WKL blockers are really nice. However, it restricts options for more layouts, like a 6.25u spacebar if people want it. Because of this, I am going to let people vote on what they would want. The link can be found in the following Strawpoll. https://www.strawpoll.me/17534211

In addition, I've heard some people say that they would want some cutouts in the plate, in the arrow key area, and underneath the WKL blocker area, if that is the most popular option. The Strawpoll is here. https://www.strawpoll.me/17534621

Like before, this is going to be produced by ALF Studio. The plate files will be open sourced. The PCB is alps and MX compatible, and it supports ISO.

PCB Specs:
     MX and Alps compatible. RGB underglow. Split backspace, split right shift, and ISO compatible. Tsangan (aka 7u) bottom row and a standard ansi, (6.25u spacebar) bottom row. It uses mid mount USB Type-C. QMK Compatible.

Case Specs: Gasket mount, like the GSKT-00/356Mini/E6.5. The gasket wraps around the switches, and the gasket rests on protrusions in the case. The top case sandwiches the plate and the bottom half together, with the gasket in between the plate and the bottom housing. To avoid stripping of the polycarbonate case, and for general aesthetics, the board will use inserts for the screws.

RENDERS (done by the wonderful Tesletron):

If you have any questions, please ask them!

Old IC here, with some old rendersHey all! This is Lbibass here, and I am happy to announce a new keyboard that I have been working on for the last couple of weeks. The BnB87.

This is a gasket mount TKL manufactured by ALF and designed by me. It uses a gasket mount similar to what the 356mini used, with a gasket wrapping around the switches, and the gasket resting on protrusions in the bottom case. It will use a 6.6º angle. These BEAUTIFUL renders are by Tesletron.

Options for plates will include half plates and full plates. Still deciding on layout support and the material, but for sure the PCB will support a 7u spacebar. It has options for split backspace and split right shift, in addition to the standard 7u layout.
I am still deciding on whether or not to support 6.25u layouts, as it would compromise the plate. If interest is high enough, then I will add an option in the GB for a 6.25+7u spacebar plate. You can vote on what to have here.

In addition, I am still unsure as to what connection will be used, either Mini-USB or USB Type-C. You can vote for that here.

Right now I have no plans for ISO. Sorry Jae! I feel like it compromises the PCB too much, and right now there are no plans to launch in the UK. That could change if I feel enough people are interested, and a proxy steps forward.

I am also planning on having Alps support, for those who enjoy that. Right now I am planning to only support 7u Alps layouts, as that is the most common.

In terms of case material, the two options I am planning on having produced are Polycarbonate and your regular old aluminum, with a brass weight. On the polycarbonate model, there will be brass screw in inserts, so no need to worry about stripping your brand new case. Thanks for reading, and down below I have a link to a bunch of renders with different keysets, also done by Tesletron.

PRICE AND RELEASE DATE TBD.

EDIT: 12/11/18: The PCB has been decided on, and it will use USB Type-C. Said USB port will also be mid-mount for better durability.

EDIT: 12/12/18: Added another poll that you can vote on for ISO/ANSI options for the PCB and the plate. Vote with this link.

RENDERS HERE
https://imgur.com/gallery/NhS7rOW

dimo:
gasket alps interest

Remsky:
Just a follow-up with my response from keebtalk, I really think you should go with a bottom side USB port for the pcb. Hiney is going to introduce a model like that eventually anyway, I don't think it would be a bad idea.

wixxzblu:
Id love to see some AEK 6.5u support on the alps plate/pcb  :thumb:

edit: handles are underrated  :))

Lbibass:

--- Quote from: Remsky on Mon, 10 December 2018, 12:33:14 ---Just a follow-up with my response from keebtalk, I really think you should go with a bottom side USB port for the pcb. Hiney is going to introduce a model like that eventually anyway, I don't think it would be a bad idea.

--- End quote ---

That might be something that I will look at in the future, however, it will require a change to the aesthetics of the bottom, as I would need to lower the bottom chamfer to cover for the lowered usb port.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version