Author Topic: KeyCon Chicago plans?  (Read 173420 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: KeyCon Chicago plans?
« Reply #250 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 04:02:38 »
So, er, okay, KeyCon. You've got special shirts. And there are cool KBs to see. And I assume you bring along some of your own KBs to show each other.

But then what do you do? Sit around and type? Couldn't you do that at home?

I love KBs as much as anyone here. I'm just  trying to picture this, though... In the long run, wouldn't it be sort of like a solitaire convention?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #251 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 12:41:33 »
So, er, okay, KeyCon. You've got special shirts. And there are cool KBs to see. And I assume you bring along some of your own KBs to show each other.

I love KBs as much as anyone here. I'm just  trying to picture this, though... In the long run, wouldn't it be sort of like a solitaire convention?

There's a whole other dynamic to it in that you're hanging out with people just as passionate about keyboards as you are. There's a lot of camaraderie and shared interests beyond keyboards that make the trip worthwhile. You're hanging out with your friends, swapping stories and making new ones.

Even if you're new to the community, I highly encourage attending if you can. It's a ton of fun.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #252 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 13:05:28 »
jcrouse's stack was insane @.@. He must have made like 6 trips to get all his boards upstairs.

Some things you never forget.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #253 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 14:40:37 »
jcrouse's stack was insane @.@. He must have made like 6 trips to get all his boards upstairs.

Some things you never forget.

Yeah, the wife has forbidden me from taking my entire PC again.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #254 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 15:35:41 »

Dude I was in the same boat as you but then I was able to attend a small meetup that Hoff hosted and it was great, we talked about way more than keyboards. Everyone I've talked to from GH has some other hobby in common with me other than keyboards, also they've mostly been really cool guys.  :thumb:
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #255 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 15:57:37 »

Dude I was in the same boat as you but then I was able to attend a small meetup that Hoff hosted and it was great, we talked about way more than keyboards. Everyone I've talked to from GH has some other hobby in common with me other than keyboards, also they've mostly been really cool guys.  :thumb:

:thumb:
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #256 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 09:32:09 »
Quote from: mashby
Quote from: Ander
So, er, okay, KeyCon... Then what do you do? Sit around and type?... Wouldn't it be sort of like a solitaire convention?

There's a whole other dynamic to it in that you're hanging out with people just as passionate about keyboards as you are. There's a lot of camaraderie and shared interests beyond keyboards that make the trip worthwhile...

I suppose people who're obsessed with KBs might be more likely to obsess over similar things, too—accordions, or dominoes, or those pill containers people use who need to organize their medication by days of the week... Or Necco wafers you unwrap and line up by colour... Or those doorbell demo displays they have in hardware stores...

Quote from: mashby
Even if you're new to the community, I highly encourage attending if you can. It's a ton of fun.

That'd be great. However, I can just imagine myself saying to my wife, "Hey, Sweetie, I'm thinking about spending $1K or so flying to Chicago and staying in a hotel and eating out all the time so I can hang around with some other guys and talk about computer keyboards." And then wondering why I've had my credit cards confiscated.

Quote from: Joey Quinn
Dude I was in the same boat as you but then I was able to attend a small meetup that Hoff hosted and it was great, we talked about way more than keyboards. Everyone I've talked to from GH has some other hobby in common with me other than keyboards, also they've mostly been really cool guys.

I totally get that. And actually, I'd go even if all you did do was sit around talking about KBs for days and days. I was just pretending to be non-obsessive. It was a novel experience, but not something I'd want to do very often.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 09:34:02 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #257 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 23:33:23 »
I need to make a new t-shirt design soon...or maybe perhaps something other than t-shirts. :]

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69176.0

Offline dante

« Reply #258 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 09:53:19 »

At the first keyboard gathering I've been to (dangwang) it was held at a bowling alley..  Sometime after wards some guys came up and said "what are you doing with all the keyboards here?"  Like a group of introverts I don't remember anyone replying to them.

Afterwards I came up with what could have been an awesome reply: "The local drug cartels are running a contest to see who can smuggle the most narcotics in a keyboard without being detected."
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2015, 10:04:33 by dante »

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #259 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 11:36:56 »
Is anyone here a student at UIC or any other Chicago university where we could secure a room?  Please PM me.

I have some options, but they are pricey.  I would much rather get some free space from a university.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #260 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:05:41 »
Is anyone here a student at UIC or any other Chicago university where we could secure a room?  Please PM me.

I have some options, but they are pricey.  I would much rather get some free space from a university.

I wonder if there was a way to get a cheap meeting space on Craigslist or something.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #261 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 00:12:33 »
It's looking like DePaul doesn't have any rooms for us to use but I'm talking to a dean later this week to figure out for sure.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #262 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 07:56:43 »
http://www.evenues.com/Meeting-Spaces/Chicago/Illinois/?id=5c6f7575-bb36-4a5c-ac45-f859d612b925

Looks like we can get rooms for the day for $250? Someone could local could start calling and scoping places out. I don't know the area at all so it wouldn't be much good if I cold called and booked a place.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #263 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 09:20:32 »
http://www.evenues.com/Meeting-Spaces/Chicago/Illinois/?id=5c6f7575-bb36-4a5c-ac45-f859d612b925

Looks like we can get rooms for the day for $250? Someone could local could start calling and scoping places out. I don't know the area at all so it wouldn't be much good if I cold called and booked a place.

It wouldn't take much for Geekhack to crowdfund $250 for a meeting space.  Not like we don't have money laying around.  Although some places charge extra for AV equipment, and may not allow outside food.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #264 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 09:22:42 »
It's looking like DePaul doesn't have any rooms for us to use but I'm talking to a dean later this week to figure out for sure.

DePaul would be awesome please let me know what you find out.

I'll take a look through here - thanks for the link.  I really want to get something booked this week.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #265 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 09:55:17 »

I'll take a look through here - thanks for the link.  I really want to get something booked this week.

I recommend low balling venues on their stated price, or asking for free add-ons.  Worth the try.  From their perspective, if they are having trouble filling the space, any money they make is better than nothing.

Offline RavenII

« Reply #266 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 09:00:39 »

I recommend low balling venues on their stated price, or asking for free add-ons.  Worth the try.  From their perspective, if they are having trouble filling the space, any money they make is better than nothing.

He's 100% correct, I used to work for the Swissotel Downtown (IT) and dude, you wouldn't believe...multibillion dollar corps. would have that one twat that would haggle for EVERY little thing. Knock off 20-30 grand off their bill...it was unreal. They expect it to be honest.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #267 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 10:39:59 »
So I've got good news and bad news about DePaul.

Good news is we can get a room. Bad news is it'll cost money unless we get a student organization to host it. I'm currently working on getting the exact price.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #268 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 10:44:53 »
Yeee! Finally a lead!

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #269 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 10:56:08 »

Good news is we can get a room. Bad news is it'll cost money unless we get a student organization to host it. I'm currently working on getting the exact price.

PM sent - I have a quote for a room in a nice hotel in the suburbs - that is my backup plan right now, but if this is cheap enough maybe we can make it happen.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #270 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 10:59:00 »

Time to get on your knees ;)
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #271 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 11:03:58 »

Time to get on your knees ;)

Am I doing it right?

Sorry this is my first time.  :-[

Offline apathy3cs

• Glorious Leader
  • その目だれの目?
« Reply #272 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 00:58:10 »
Maybe worth digging around to find information of their organizations as well?
http://www.cdm.depaul.edu/Current%20Students/Pages/StudentOrganizations.aspx

It looks like the Linux Community is on facebook.  surprisingly can't find the Gaming Club around.
https://www.facebook.com/depaul.linux

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #273 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 20:25:57 »
Anyone interested in going climbing on the friday night before keycon? There's a great gym near chicago.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 20:26:48 »
Anyone interested in going climbing on the friday night before keycon? There's a great gym near chicago.

* HoffmanMyster needs to get in shape...  :|

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #275 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 20:37:21 »
Sorry, what are the dates?  I sometimes travel up there.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #276 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 20:39:46 »

* HoffmanMyster needs to get in shape...  :|

So do I, I lost a ton of strength and endurance after my... um... break...

:p

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #277 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 20:49:48 »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #278 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 21:16:18 »
Aw shucks I will be in Peru May 16th.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #279 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 22:07:16 »
Apparently the wife has already booked our hotel.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #280 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 22:25:21 »
Guess I should officially withdraw my RSVP. I got a new job and will be moving that week now. Ridiculously sad, but this job means that I should be able to make the next few events!

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #281 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 22:40:42 »
Guess I should officially withdraw my RSVP. I got a new job and will be moving that week now. Ridiculously sad, but this job means that I should be able to make the next few events!
:( You'll be missed.

I'll bring the kingsaver for you. ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #282 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 18:31:42 »
:( You'll be missed.

I'll bring the kingsaver for you. ;)

:(  Shame you can't come, exit... Next time though!

Joey, if you need a hand with the Kingsaver, let me know.   ^-^

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #283 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 08:08:14 »
Aw shucks I will be in Peru May 16th.

The country or the one in Indiana?  Because the country is overrated, I would just skip it.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #284 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 00:42:47 »
My 1 year GH anniversary is the day before keycon, sounds like a reason to party. Who's in?  :thumb:

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #285 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 11:55:53 »
Just found out I have to travel to Chicago for work from 4/30 to 5/4. So close :(
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #286 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:21:37 »
Just found out I have to travel to Chicago for work from 4/30 to 5/4. So close :(

If you want to see some cool boards n **** hit me up while you're in Chicago and we can get lunch.

Offline RavenII

« Reply #287 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 17:15:12 »

If you want to see some cool boards n **** hit me up while you're in Chicago and we can get lunch.

Dude, I AM in Chicago, and want to check out some boards!...Wait, do you happen to have a HHKB?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #288 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 17:16:40 »

Dude, I AM in Chicago, and want to check out some boards!...Wait, do you happen to have a HHKB?
I'm not currently in Chicago but I will be all summer.

Offline RavenII

« Reply #289 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 17:20:01 »
I'm not currently in Chicago but I will be all summer.

No worries, I'll see most of you guys at Keycon....if you're coming.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #290 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 17:29:01 »

Can I come??   ^-^ ^-^

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #291 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 17:30:34 »
Need to get my hotel arrangements set up.... Everything close to venue so expense.

Maybe I can stay where I did last time and make hoofverso or cba give me plentiful rides...

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #292 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 17:45:37 »
Need to get my hotel arrangements set up.... Everything close to venue so expense.

Maybe I can stay where I did last time and make hoofverso or cba give me plentiful rides...

:thumb:   I can give rides if needed.  Only downside might be that I'm staying pretty close to the venue so I'd have to drive out to wherever you'll be, but I'm not sure how far that would be.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #293 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 17:53:12 »

:thumb:   I can give rides if needed.  Only downside might be that I'm staying pretty close to the venue so I'd have to drive out to wherever you'll be, but I'm not sure how far that would be.
If Hoff or CPT is driving you, the Sheraton and Renaissance are close to my house.

Offline RavenII

« Reply #294 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 19:10:22 »

I'd be willing to give rides also, I also live about 10 minutes away from there, but I don't mind driving...

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #295 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 19:50:22 »
I think the only spot in my car is claimed but I could use a larger on if necessary.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #296 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 23:58:47 »
I'll be driving up as long as the gas prices stay below $3. Actually I'll probably drive up anyways just so I can bring the collection and have room to buy other stuff if that option comes up.

Offline RavenII

« Reply #297 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 12:13:40 »
I'll be driving up as long as the gas prices stay below $3. Actually I'll probably drive up anyways just so I can bring the collection and have room to buy other stuff if that option comes up.

Buy?...I didn't even consider that there'll be buying and selling of stuff...crap. Gotta start saving for that now....

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #298 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 21:53:27 »
Going to see if I can drive down from Milwaukee that weekend, but I don't know yet if I'll be in Milwaukee that weekend, or free.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #299 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 17:24:12 »
I rented a car and will have 3 seats available if need be.  I'll be getting in late Friday night.