Author Topic: Massdrop, a group buying service  (Read 30053 times)

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
Re: Massdrop, a group buying service
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 13:41:00 »
I'm actually in negotiations with John of JDS labs right now. I've also finished negotiations with Bottlehead for the Bottlehead Crack OTL Kit. That's a pretty great amp and project if you've ever heard it. Depending on how things go with JDS, one or both of those products will be up this week. How do you guys feel about the DIY kit?

DIY kit of which? I'm not really interested in the Crack.

AFAIK there is no DIY kit for the ODAC since the design is not open source, but there can be one for O2. Personally, I would rather not have to solder anything and would be willing to pay a little bit extra for that convenience. I'm not sure if this is possible, but I think having a few choices in case color would be amazing.

Haha I know how that is. I'm looking into a few other fully assembled AMP options as well.

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 01:49:36 »
Any interest among GHers for the O2 DAC without the amp?

Also, check out our new poll page, massdrop.com/poll. Need to get interest together for a group buy? Make a poll and gather votes in real time for an accurate headcount. 

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 02:34:27 »
Why no full ODA?

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 03:35:31 »
Not saying there won't be an ODA. Just gauging interest :D

How's that kit of yours coming along? 
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 October 2012, 03:37:43 by BaudlyDamage »

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 03:48:24 »
Still being beta tested, I'll let you know as soon as it is final.

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 04:14:56 »
Any interest among GHers for the O2 DAC without the amp?

Also, check out our new poll page, massdrop.com/poll. Need to get interest together for a group buy? Make a poll and gather votes in real time for an accurate headcount. 

Just to make a correction O2 is the amp, ODAC is the "portable" DAC that can be either standalone or combined into a single case with the O2. ODA is the upcoming desktop DAC that NwAvGuy has yet to release.

Personally, I'm more interested in the O2 amp than the ODAC but figure if I already buy one I may as well opt for the full package. With that said, I'm somewhat inclined to wait until the ODA is released but would buy the O2 + ODAC if there was a group buy carrying some discount on it. I would not be interested in buying just the ODAC on its own.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 04:44:46 »
Depending on the price break you get, Objective 2 amp/ and ODAC combo would be tempting

Offline sordna

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 20:36:41 »
hint: chrome > open the web console (ctrl+shift+j) > paste the following:

Code: [Select]
var delock=document.getElementsByClassName('blockUI');for(var i=0;i<delock.length;i++) delock[i].style.display='none';
hit enter and enjoy :)

What's that supposed to do? I just tried it and it did nothing at all.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 20:37:26 »
They revamped their site to not allow that trick to work anymore. It used to bypass their login UI.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 20:45:01 »
I'm not interested in signing up for another website before I even know whats in it.  Hate it when people do that.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 20:46:25 »
Just use Facebook integration then.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 21:15:59 »
Just tried that.  I got sent to an app that requested massdrop have permision to post on my behalf..... uhhhh, no thanks!!!

Offline sordna

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 21:35:15 »
I feel the same but decided to register (without facebook of course); it doesn't really ask for any info other than name and email address, and you can use some userid as your name... I mean you don't have to provide a full name and address until you actually order stuff. So it's not painful to register just for browsing the site. I plan to order 1-2 ErgoDox keyboards in a few days.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 22:29:45 »
Read the thread guys, we've been over this.  The account wall is unfortunate but necessary.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 00:27:53 »
Read the thread guys, we've been over this.  The account wall is unfortunate but necessary.

why do you think its necessary?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 00:55:27 »

why do you think its necessary?
From what I gathered, it's something to do with getting around the MAP (Minimum Advertised Price, I believe). Since MD exists to get super-low prices for a select few, it has to be all concealed-looking, so that the manufacturers don't get all upset. I wondered why they can't just show what items they have, and just have a "log-in to see the price", but I think even doing that is going too far.

Sounds like a cool idea, but I wasn't able to view the site without creating an account. If that's intentional, I suggest you reconsider.

Yea, we're sorry about that but its a necessary evil. A lot of the products we sell have minimum advertised price policies imposed by the manufacturers. They feel that low advertised prices equate to brand degradation. Since our site is  "private" we can list whatever prices we want without fear of non-fufillment.

TL;DR You need to sign up so we can keep prices low and save you money.
We'd love to do that but right now we have to stay as close to MAP policy as possible inorder to keep the manufacturers happy. This will change as we grow but for now its going to stay like this for at least a little while.

You aren't required to activate your account if thats any help.

And he's not even able to explain why!
I remember being annoyed by the account requirement when I saw your site a few months ago.  Is there a prominent "Why do we require an account" link that offers the explanation you just gave?  As I'm sure you know, requiring registration to see things that seem like they should be freely available is a huge, immediate turn-off for most people.  But most people are familiar with the "see price in shopping cart" thing as well.

edit: clarified and expanded :)

Thats an excellent suggestion. We've had discussions with manufacturers about ways to make this more clear but generally they want as little attention brought to MAP policy as possible.

I had to edit out the two middle paragraphs of this post because the content was too revealing with regards to MAP. I urge you to google MAP and read about it.

This is one of the few things that really rustles my jimmies. We're in the planning stages for dealing with this problem, its just not quite ready yet. 
I suspect doing as he suggests and reading about MAP on Google will be more forthcoming.

---
Aside from the inconvenience of having to actually make an account, (which as I understand it, isn't really MD's fault), I have thus far been really impressed with MD.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 04:10:57 »
I will be starting a GB for assembling ErgoDox's later today so if you interested keep you eyes posted prices will be similar to my phantom GB.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 14:53:53 »
groupbuy and form up for assembly http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39263.0
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 January 2013, 14:56:05 by TheProfosist »

Offline Phil21

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 16:39:53 »
I think it's a great idea.  So great in fact, that I did indeed order an ergodox not so much because I want one, but because I love the organized idea of running GB's, vs. forcing some poor guy to ship things out of his house after work.

However, I'm kind of regretting that - now that I see the explanation for the signup form being required.  I thought it was just a new site, beta, etc.  I didn't know you were giving into the Manuf. minimum pricing cartel. :)

Don't get me wrong - I understand the necessity of doing things to placate "big" businesses when you're smaller.  However, it could be implemented in a much less... community killing.. manner.

Make the *entirety* of the site open and viewable to everyone - simply hide the prices (and require signup to view them).  Amazon and myriad other on-line etailers do this, and should be more than enough (most etailers simply hide the price superficially, letting you view it by clicking on it or adding it to your cart) to get around the restrictions mentioned.

Unfortunately, simply out of principle, I won't be ordering on the site again until that is fixed.  I think we can demand better.

I think you will find order totals will increase substantially as well.  I almost missed out on the Ergodox for this exact reason.  Every thread I saw about it, only linked directly to the site - with almost no other information available.  I'd click the link, get the signup form, and say **** this.  Only because someone linked a PDF, coupled with incredible boredom sitting in an airport, did I eventually order.  I'd still be wondering wtf an Ergodox is due to the signup wall.

Otherwise, great work!  Definitely a good idea, and something that with tweaking and TLC is going to be an awesome service!
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 January 2013, 16:57:46 by Phil21 »

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 20:16:27 »
I think it's a great idea.  So great in fact, that I did indeed order an ergodox not so much because I want one, but because I love the organized idea of running GB's, vs. forcing some poor guy to ship things out of his house after work.

However, I'm kind of regretting that - now that I see the explanation for the signup form being required.  I thought it was just a new site, beta, etc.  I didn't know you were giving into the Manuf. minimum pricing cartel. :)

Don't get me wrong - I understand the necessity of doing things to placate "big" businesses when you're smaller.  However, it could be implemented in a much less... community killing.. manner.

Make the *entirety* of the site open and viewable to everyone - simply hide the prices (and require signup to view them).  Amazon and myriad other on-line etailers do this, and should be more than enough (most etailers simply hide the price superficially, letting you view it by clicking on it or adding it to your cart) to get around the restrictions mentioned.

Unfortunately, simply out of principle, I won't be ordering on the site again until that is fixed.  I think we can demand better.

I think you will find order totals will increase substantially as well.  I almost missed out on the Ergodox for this exact reason.  Every thread I saw about it, only linked directly to the site - with almost no other information available.  I'd click the link, get the signup form, and say **** this.  Only because someone linked a PDF, coupled with incredible boredom sitting in an airport, did I eventually order.  I'd still be wondering wtf an Ergodox is due to the signup wall.

Otherwise, great work!  Definitely a good idea, and something that with tweaking and TLC is going to be an awesome service!

you have to keep in mind the project is more than a year in the making. Many of those who have been around for quite some time knew that post the GH crash of this summer, much of the discussion moved to DT. Sorry about that, but there was nothing to be done at the time.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White