Author Topic: [IC] Aluminum Fullsized Filco Cases  (Read 7010 times)

Offline ohgodpleaseno

• Nonononono please no
[IC] Aluminum Fullsized Filco Cases
« on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 16:52:18 »
9/18 Update:

This project is still in progress, but there won't be any updates until I can sort out proper requirements with this local shop. There's some weird back and forth going on with them so I'm not going to commit until I can figure out if they're even reasonable.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 September 2013, 23:14:25 by ohgodpleaseno »

Offline pasph

Re: [IC] Aluminum Fullsized Filco Cases
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 17:23:47 »
Have you made the CAD drawings of those?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline ohgodpleaseno

• Nonononono please no
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 17:49:12 »

I'm bringing the physical case to their shop. This is a small town place so I really need to get an idea of cost before I do anything else.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 17:53:12 »

I'm bringing the physical case to their shop. This is a small town place so I really need to get an idea of cost before I do anything else.
Which physical case? You can't just make an alu copy of the filco case, and you can't easily do a similar one either.. doing a standoff design like the stock case will be a PITA.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline ohgodpleaseno

• Nonononono please no
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 18:06:01 »

Which physical case? You can't just make an alu copy of the filco case, and you can't easily do a similar one either.. doing a standoff design like the stock case will be a PITA.

I'm not just having them copy the stock case. I'm going in to find out if they have the ability/tools to manufacture something similar in size and shape, I don't think they've done something like this before. After I meet up with them I'll sketch out the design I have in mind with them and go from there. Like I said the shop could go either way in terms of cost so I'm not making any commitments until after the meeting. The only real requirements I'm thinking of for the design is to make the bottom a bit deeper than stock. Not sure which way to go yet. I'll post an update tomorrow after the meeting. :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 18:08:39 »
Where are you at btw? I'm interested in this.

Offline ohgodpleaseno

• Nonononono please no
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 18:11:43 »
Where are you at btw? I'm interested in this.

California.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 18:13:27 »
Interested.

May be worth actually buying a Filco, if this goes through.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 19:35:26 »
Would love to see this take off.

Definitely would be interested in a HEAVY-ASS case design that looks cool on the table.

I hope you'll provide pics of this including the actual design of the keyboard itself.  Hoping your US Manufacture picks this up and makes some real fine cases for the Filco lovers out there.

Remember it only needs to hold the pcb and switches of a Filco.  Don't make a case that will take the whole keyboard, like what some other Chinese/Taiwanese manufacturers have done in the past.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 September 2013, 19:38:22 by Elrick »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 19:37:17 »
Would love to see this take off finally.

Definitely would be interested in a HEAVY-ASS case design that looks cool on the table.

I hope you'll provide pics of this including the actual design of the keyboard itself.  Hoping your US Manufacture picks this up and makes some real fine cases for the Filco lovers out there.
If you want something truly heavy you'll either have to make it massive (5cm at the front or something ridiculous) or add brass/steel weights.
github

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 19:40:34 »
If you want something truly heavy you'll either have to make it massive (5cm at the front or something ridiculous) or add brass/steel weights.

Now you're talking  8) .  Nice to have something coming in at 5kgs minimum weight.  It has to be strong enough not to twist or strain under that weight but look menacingly vicious, sitting there on the table top.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 19:41:56 »

Now you're talking  8) .  Nice to have something coming in at 5kgs minimum weight.  It has to be strong enough not to twist or strain under the weight but look menacingly vicious sitting there on the table top.
5kg.. You'd need to go absolute crazy with the size of the brass/steel weight man.. I think it's a bit too high.

See the TEK-80 in my sig, 2.7cm at the front with a fairly large brass weight. Still doesn't reach 3.4kg.
github

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 19:46:23 »
5kg.. You'd need to go absolute crazy with the size of the brass/steel weight man.. I think it's a bit too high.

Not really considering it will absorb all the most furious typing without buckling or moving around the table top.  Most full-size keyboards are built like cheap toys now, and have almost no weight to them.  Plus they creak and twist when used.

Just want something that supports the internal pcb of a Filco but will not move or deform when used.  Wouldn't move even when you stand on the keyboard and type with your toes  :thumb: .

Offline ohgodpleaseno

• Nonononono please no
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 20:14:29 »
I'm really wanting to make the case a decent weight but not to the point of being ridiculous.

Edit: I'll look into possibly incorporating designed weights. No promises on that one but it seems like a good option.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 September 2013, 20:16:23 by ohgodpleaseno »

Offline pasph

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 20:49:22 »

Not really considering it will absorb all the most furious typing without buckling or moving around the table top.  Most full-size keyboards are built like cheap toys now, and have almost no weight to them.  Plus they creak and twist when used.

Just want something that supports the internal pcb of a Filco but will not move or deform when used.  Wouldn't move even when you stand on the keyboard and type with your toes  :thumb: .

It seems you want something like that
http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/cherry-g81-with-aritifical-stone-case-t6475.html
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline kwago

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 23:21:01 »
Remember it only needs to hold the pcb and switches of a Filco.  Don't make a case that will take the whole keyboard, like what some other Chinese/Taiwanese manufacturers have done in the past.

this

Offline ohgodpleaseno

• Nonononono please no
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 23:28:46 »

this

So you two are looking to get something that is just a base rather than a full enclosure?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 23:37:12 »
So you two are looking to get something that is just a base rather than a full enclosure?

Basically what I am saying is that the actual Filco keyboard comes with it's own cheap plastic case.  We (you) need to remove the pcb/switches (it's guts) from that original case and replace it into your NEWLY designed Case.

YES, we need to have a full enclosure but I wouldn't mind a flat case similar in design to one of GON's beauties.  But please don't rip off his exact design, because it wouldn't be fair on him.

Also look into other metals like normal carbon steel or stainless steel that can be successfully milled/lazercut.  Also how you would finish the final case either by powder coating it or anodizing.

Offline ohgodpleaseno

• Nonononono please no
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 00:05:52 »

Basically what I am saying is that the actual Filco keyboard comes with it's own cheap plastic case.  We (you) need to remove the pcb/switches (it's guts) from that original case and replace it into your NEWLY designed Case.

YES, we need to have a full enclosure but I wouldn't mind a flat case similar in design to one of GON's beauties.  But please don't rip off his exact design, because it wouldn't be fair on him.

Also look into other metals like normal carbon steel or stainless steel that can be successfully milled/lazercut.  Also how you would finish the final case either by powder coating it or anodizing.

I'll take a look at the cases GON has made and see what you're talking about exactly. I'm pretty sure I understand but I'm interested and obviously I'm not going to just rip off his work. Secondly,  i'm actually already planning to ask about their in house options for finishes and they do offer stainless steel fabrication. I'll be asking about pricing for the different options tomorrow and I'll do an edit to the OP with the info.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 01:20:50 »
Secondly,  i'm actually already planning to ask about their in house options for finishes and they do offer stainless steel fabrication.

The good thing about GON is that he already told me he will never make a full-size keyboard.  Hence the road is open for you, due to no one offering a full size keyboard casing for Filco's.  You will be the only one offering that here on Geekhack.

The STAINLESS STEEL is God's material.  Forget about Resins, Plastics and Aluminum this is the metal to make a very special keyboard.  It's the only material that never needs paint or any finish because it's PERFECT.  All you need is to rub it from time to time to remove any dust particles/stains.

Although the cost might be high it doesn't need any finishing other than to sand off any rough edges.  If you could design an all Stainless Steel Case, I'll hand you the money straight away.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 September 2013, 01:22:32 by Elrick »

Offline ohgodpleaseno

• Nonononono please no
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 03:00:48 »
Secondly,  i'm actually already planning to ask about their in house options for finishes and they do offer stainless steel fabrication.

The good thing about GON is that he already told me he will never make a full-size keyboard.  Hence the road is open for you, due to no one offering a full size keyboard casing for Filco's.  You will be the only one offering that here on Geekhack.

The STAINLESS STEEL is God's material.  Forget about Resins, Plastics and Aluminum this is the metal to make a very special keyboard.  It's the only material that never needs paint or any finish because it's PERFECT.  All you need is to rub it from time to time to remove any dust particles/stains.

Although the cost might be high it doesn't need any finishing other than to sand off any rough edges.  If you could design an all Stainless Steel Case, I'll hand you the money straight away.

As much as I would love to give you a stainless steel case considering your enthusiasm I'm not really sure that everyone in the GH community shares the sentiment. I'll look into just providing a single design and possibly offer different material options at varying costs.

Offline kwago

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 07:55:36 »
GON's case design is what I had in mind as well : )
That guy's stuff is too good

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 September 2013, 07:58:57 by kwago »

Offline ___q

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 10:22:58 »
Wouldn't a GON-style board be a huge pain to put on a filco? The plate that the switches are held in in one of GON's boards is the top of the case, so you would either (1) make it somehow fit the stock filco plate or (2) desolder all of the switches, at which point you're basically making a custom keyboard, except reusing the filco PCB (and you cant program it etc.)

Also, a fully-SS case would be amazing.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 11:30:17 »
Stainless steel case would be cool.

Not so hot on the GON lefty style. Although the bottom case/plate that kwago posted looks gorgeous.

Offline ohgodpleaseno

• Nonononono please no
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 14:18:43 »
Visited the shop. Edited the OP with info.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 09:11:58 »
Layers would be cool with me. Also, raw aluminum is cool. I like the machined look, and wouldn't mind polishing up one either.

Offline grave00

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 22:58:25 »
Sounds good to me.  I only use full size.  Stainless doesn't kill it for me.  I'm open minded either way although if aluminum is the way to get color...put me down for red.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 19:48:45 »
Interested in full size!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 16:59:55 »
Interested !

If you can post some kind of design renders that would be cool.  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 18:19:09 »
vortex has one made. it's in their caps photos.

we just don't know if they'll sell it since the demand isn't as high as tkl.

Offline ohgodpleaseno

• Nonononono please no
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 19:47:21 »
vortex has one made. it's in their caps photos.

we just don't know if they'll sell it since the demand isn't as high as tkl.

This is actually something I hope goes through so that I don't have to try and haggle with the shop I've been talking with.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 22:00:15 »
I'm entirely in favor of this.