Author Topic: Recommendation needed: coming from an MS wireless natural multimedia keyboard  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Nocturnal

The keys on this kb are amazingly soft.  I have tried the 4000 but found the key presses to be extremely hard to press and my fingers more often than not become tired.  I also tend to have a lot of typos using that keyboard.

I am looking towards moving to a wired mechanical keyboard.  I have been hearing a lot lately about all the different types of mechanical switches and I'd love to see if I can get a recommendation for something extremely soft on the fingers.  If you've used the MS wireless natural multimedia keyboard, you probably know what I am talking about.  Also if you've used the MS elite ergo keyboard brand new, you'll also know what I mean when I like really soft key presses.

Thanks in advance :)

Offline slueth

Recommendation needed: coming from an MS wireless natural multimedia keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 02:40:33 »
Probably get a topre, or get a cherry red keyboard.  Cherry blacks are soft, but some people say that it's too heavy for them.  I would try to get in on that switch tester that is available and trying the switches before you buy.  Maybe check if any Geekhackers are in your area would be your best bet.

fossala

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 02:41:12 »
If you want soft you will want either 45g topres or cherry reds.
EDIT: ninja'd by slueth
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 January 2012, 02:41:59 by fossala »

Offline Gawkbasher

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 02:49:13 »
If you want something with a split layout, you're probably limited to the Kinesis Advantage LF or the Truly Ergonomic (as far as I know), but if not, yeah any Cherry Red or Topre would be nice.
Topre Realforce 87U 45g / Logitech G9x / Razer Scarab
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

fossala

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 02:51:00 »
You forgot the uTron, it never gets any love.

Offline Gawkbasher

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 02:55:10 »
well, it's hard to find outside japan and 52,500 JPY :P  (Also, holy **** now I want one.)
Topre Realforce 87U 45g / Logitech G9x / Razer Scarab
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline boli

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 03:04:08 »
While I haven't used any of the keyboards you mention I am using keyboards with Cherry brown and Cherry red switches, and can also vouch for the red Cherries.

Are you looking for a similar non split but angled design? Then I guess the TrulyErgonomic might be an option. Or if you'd consider something more extreme I'm a big fan of the Kinesis Advantage (see sig). Both are available with red switches, but are quite expensive. You can find extensive opinions on either in the Truly Ergonomic Unboxing thread.

Update: I never heard about the uTron before. Interesting idea with the reverse stagger on the left hand, though I don't see any point in staggering when you can angle the halves whichever way you like. A quick search found Where can i buy uTron keyboard?. 52'500 YEN is roughly $684, ouch.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 January 2012, 03:20:53 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com