Author Topic: Matias, is this RGB keyboard using your switches?  (Read 89696 times)

Offline dante

Matias, is this RGB keyboard using your switches?
« on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:29:34 »

Offline macdude22

Re: Matias, is this RGB keyboard using your switches?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 15:32:42 »
Man I hope so. I've been wanting a backlit board with matias switches. Edgar did say during his AMA there was an OEM working on a backlit keyboard with their switches.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 15:45:39 »
It sure looks like it. Who's the manufacturer of that keyboard?
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 15:51:37 »

Video was posted by Ducky Nordic. I'm hoping ducky. Love their build quality.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 15:58:38 »

Video was posted by Ducky Nordic. I'm hoping ducky. Love their build quality.

That's what I thought too, but shouldn't there be a Ducky logo somewhere on the spacebar/win keys?

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 16:22:41 »

They certainly look like ours...  :-)

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 16:32:33 »

They certainly look like ours...  :-)

Teaser!!!

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 15:43:54 »
Any more info on this board?

I've been using Cherry MX in various flavors (settled on Brown and Red as my current favorites), but I'm looking to branch out and try some other switch types.  I really want to try the Matias keyboards, but I want a backlit board.

Offline Matias

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 19:21:30 »
They certainly look like ours...   :)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 02:35:42 »
Yeah, but that was back in June of last year. I haven't been able to find anything since.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Matias

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 02:46:05 »
Yeah, but that was back in June of last year. I haven't been able to find anything since.

I haven't heard anything either.

Offline Squall

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 04:46:13 »
Matias please make a backlit keyboard, I've tried many Cherry and other switches but my favorite is your quiet tactile swtich. Would buy a backlit quiet matias in a heartbeat.

Offline Matias

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 22:40:41 »
Matias please make a backlit keyboard, I've tried many Cherry and other switches but my favorite is your quiet tactile swtich. Would buy a backlit quiet matias in a heartbeat.

This has come up before.

Just out of curiosity, we did do a backlit one, would you prefer 60%, tenkeyless, or the standard layout with numpad?

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 10:09:09 »
Most people here will obviously answer 60%, but I think a TKL would sell the most(standard fullsize user doesn't care about backlight).
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline Matias

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 16:15:48 »
Most people here will obviously answer 60%, but I think a TKL would sell the most(standard fullsize user doesn't care about backlight).

My general impression is that it's mostly gamers who want backlighting, and they usually want fullsize -- which make it less comfortable for mouse use, which makes no sense for gamers. 

Go figure...

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 17:00:31 »
gamer-dudes like TKL too, because many professional gamers use them, possibly due to the lack of space available at some LAN-based tournaments. I'd quite like to see a backlit TKL with Matias switches, but really I can take or leave the backlighting. Maybe wait and see what KBParadise come up with for their v80-MTS, then do the opposite? Also, the curvy case design most of your current boards use is probably a bad idea for a gamer-focused keybaord.

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 21:20:41 »

This has come up before.

Just out of curiosity, we did do a backlit one, would you prefer 60%, tenkeyless, or the standard layout with numpad?

I'd chose 60 if programmable ( I seek easy arrows like HHKB and F-lock for the number row when debugging). I also like 75 if partially or non programmable.

TKL eludes me still: just seems to make the mouse further away.   
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline KRKS

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 02:11:07 »

I'd chose 60 if programmable ( I seek easy arrows like HHKB and F-lock for the number row when debugging). I also like 75 if partially or non programmable.

TKL eludes me still: just seems to make the mouse further away.   

Yeah I'd love a 75%, especially since that 5,5 space solves the centuries old "how do I 13u bottom row"

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/96a98c3c77ddea27463e391c24af23cf
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 06:07:08 »
I vote full size, since I do use the numpad quite often for my work as well.  It would be nice if you could do both TKL and full-size with a nice backlight (RGB if possible, but I'm not picky and even a solid color backlight would be great).

Offline Squall

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 06:23:34 »
I would use buy either TKL or full size, but I prefer TKL .

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 18:54:00 »
I vote full size, since I do use the numpad quite often for my work as well.  It would be nice if you could do both TKL and full-size with a nice backlight (RGB if possible, but I'm not picky and even a solid color backlight would be great).

How about a separate numpad? I prefer them as I can move it around, switch hands, displace the keyboard but keep the numpad in position, e.g. when using pen/paper w/ numbed, etc. All without making the mouse further to the right (straining my shoulder).

I find this arrangement quite preferable. So much so that I often wonder why it isn't more commonly done. Is there something desirable about the attached numpad that I'm not seeing?
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline Matias

« Last Edit: Mon, 11 May 2015, 20:51:45 by Matias »

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 01:01:34 »

How about this...?

I like it. It's kinda similar to the coolermaster TK, and whenever that shows up over on r/mk a bunch of people say things like "that's great why aren't there more keyboards with this layout?" But it doesn't show up that often which makes me wonder how popular it really is.

The main thing that would slow me down would be the nonstandard bottom row,  meaning there's only one potential source of replacemwnt or upgraded keycaps.  But with translucent backlit caps that's less of an issue.

Offline Squall

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 08:07:22 »
Any chance for ISO layout or it's not being considered at the moment ?

Offline Squall

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 08:52:42 »

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 12:15:01 »
Just some FYI:

I posted a link of that YouTube video on Ducky's Facebook page (I thought they made the prototype) and they actually responded.  They said it was made by Datacomp and had the link to the company in Taiwan. 

http://www.datacomp.com.tw/
http://www.datacomp.com.tw/keyboard.htm

But the RGB keyboard is not shown.  You can't click the links to the other keyboard sections that include gaming keyboards.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2015, 12:18:41 by Tempest790 »

Offline wlhlm

• ~

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 12:30:22 »

This has come up before.

I think the most interesting for an RGB backlit would be a 60% since there's nothing out there in that flavor right now, though the gamer guys who tend to want more backlighting probably won't be going 60%.

I can see it being an interesting piece as a 60% if the aesthetics were nice.

I still don't understand why the gamers want full sized. I don't remember a single game that makes use of it and it just makes it less comfortable for gaming.

Offline KRKS

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 14:57:05 »

How about this...?

Overcomplicated. But since you brought up 0.75u and 1.5u I thought I may as well play around with them a bit:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/f2ecac080c551730ca8c0cf8c8810747

Still wouldn't buy it though, I just don't see the point of all this instead of putting all those 0.75u keys on numpad:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/91ff30fcdbc2c1d25e023397e05fa889

That's better, but I'm still hoping for a 75%

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 19:30:31 »
Instead of TKL, I still like the idea of TKO meaning Ten-Key-Only. It is a tad wider, but retains 100% functionality, and perhaps adds extra. In order for touch-typing to work 100%, you ditch the middle section with the arrow keys and bring the numpad over such that the 0 is where the left arrow is. Then you make said 0 into two different keys. Numlock is turned into something that only controls output from this keyboard and not the system/OS state. That way when it is in one mode you have the standard inverse-t on both '0''s, '2', and '.'. And the standard nav block either on where numlock was through '9' (maybe ditch insert, or perhaps move numlock) or on '7'-'6'. Since you are targeting gamers with this board, the rest of this mode is where having that logic on-board helps: All the keys that are now doing nothing while the numpad is in Nav Mode could be fully programmable with other single keys or even macros. Gamers seem to like macros and this way you don't need to add extra keys to have them. Perhaps could even allow where insert and del and such are to be chosen by the user.

Then you can always switch to numpad mode and use it like a normal numpad. In either mode everything is basically where it should be while allowing extras.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 15:22:37 »
I still don't understand why the gamers want full sized. I don't remember a single game that makes use of it and it just makes it less comfortable for gaming.

Because many people use it and don't want to buy five separate keyboards like the rest of Geekhack. Besides, it is useful for games I've played anyways.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 21:00:44 »

Because many people use it and don't want to buy five separate keyboards like the rest of Geekhack. Besides, it is useful for games I've played anyways.

I've yet to play a game that made use of the numpad. I could understand dedicated macro keys a bit more than the numpad for gamers.

What games do you play that require the numpad? What's the function of the numpad?

I'm always very uncomfortable when I have a full sized for my arm spacing.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 17:17:13 »

I've yet to play a game that made use of the numpad. I could understand dedicated macro keys a bit more than the numpad for gamers.

What games do you play that require the numpad? What's the function of the numpad?

I'm always very uncomfortable when I have a full sized for my arm spacing.

I can only assume you aren't 6"2, because I can (not that I usually do) do the whole 90 degrees sitting stuff with no odd angles with the full sized keyboards, so I don't have that problem I guess.

Offline spwath

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 09:15:05 »

This has come up before.

I would want the ergo pro in backlight.

I use my trusty Apple Adjustable Keyboard now, but its from 1994 and keys are dying. I'm thinking about the ergo pro, but 200$ is a lot of money.
But, if it had backlighting, that would be pretty cool.

But I don't think there is a big demand for backlight ergonomic keyboards.

Offline nodezero

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 06:46:34 »

Personally, full size (though I like your suggested condensed full layout from earlier in the thread too). Some MMO players like the extra keys for less used functions or macros, not to mention entering numbers quickly e.g. authenticator codes!

Another thought on backlit keys, though not exactly a new one - Mac laptops tend to be backlit but Apple have never released a backlit wired keyboard. I'm sure you could generate some noise by being the first to release a nice white backlit desktop Mac keyboard (though I know these things don't happen overnight ;)).

Offline Magna224

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 07:44:59 »

My general impression is that it's mostly gamers who want backlighting, and they usually want fullsize -- which make it less comfortable for mouse use, which makes no sense for gamers. 

I know right? Its just because they are afraid to try. Once you do it the numpad is not missed at all. I try to get all of my friends to sell their rubber domes and buy TKL mechanicals but none of them are willing to even try it. They will buy a worse keyboard that is a full size to have that tenkey which they do not use. ( Some of them use it for maybe 20 hours a year when playing garrys mod but they have plenty other keys they could use in their place!)
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 October 2015, 07:57:53 by Magna224 »
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline Bucake

IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Aricil

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 07:07:33 »
Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing a backlit matias switch board. I vaguely remember Matias proudly saying how cherry copied something about their design to allow backlighting, yet so far as I know, not a single matias keyboard has this option, much less RGB. What's the point of inventing something clear to use and then not ever using it? If I remember, alps keyboards used to have to use linear switches of the num lock and caps lock key because otherwise they wouldn't be able to allow lighting through, but I think that's no longer the case. I feel like matias should market better, and perhaps do a little bit more innovation. They also tend to say that their keyboards are for typing and not gaming. saying that is a good way to exclude a gigantic chunck of the mech keyboard market.
Professional amateur.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 10:24:49 »
Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing a backlit matias switch board. I vaguely remember Matias proudly saying how cherry copied something about their design to allow backlighting, yet so far as I know, not a single matias keyboard has this option, much less RGB. What's the point of inventing something clear to use and then not ever using it? If I remember, alps keyboards used to have to use linear switches of the num lock and caps lock key because otherwise they wouldn't be able to allow lighting through, but I think that's no longer the case. I feel like matias should market better, and perhaps do a little bit more innovation. They also tend to say that their keyboards are for typing and not gaming. saying that is a good way to exclude a gigantic chunck of the mech keyboard market.

Due to the switchplate design you can't install LEDs in non-linear Alps, however none of the Matias switches have an LED cutout, so you have to use SMD LEDs. In fact, Matias used to use switches made by Forward when they were still making Alps, and later from Xiang Min when Forward stopped making simplified Alps.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170