Author Topic: GH Swolenation  (Read 63060 times)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
Re: GH Swolenation
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 13:00:56 »
Whoa this thing blew up.  I had no idea it would be this popular  :eek: 

My advice for running as someone who never enjoyed it, ever, you just have to do it.  I know that is the cliche answer, but its the truth.  Once your body is used to it, you will have a much better time at it.  Some things that definitely help, are getting the right shoes.  Whether you decide to go barefoot or nice running shoes, you should find a good running store, and get fitted for shoes.  They have you run and video you, to find out your foot strikes.  This was the one thing that helped me out a lot.  I did the barefoot thing for a long time, and really enjoyed it.  But there is nothing like running in a proper pair of shoes.  And like Sed8 said, best to start out slow, and slowly push yourself further.  Another thing that helped me when i first started a few years ago, run outside.  Treadmills are nice, but they can act like a crutch.  If you map out a nice 3-5 mile loop, and get tired 2 miles in, you have to make a 2 mile trip back.  You can run, run/walk, or walk.  All of which are better alternatives than just stopping.  I will add, that I am not an expert when it comes to running.  These are just things that I found helpful for me.  Anyone feel free to chime in, or correct me, if anything I said was wrong.

This exactly! I hate cardio but if I find myself doing it every day then it gets easier and I get used to it. I definitely recommend Asics for running shoes. They are expensive but worth the money. Treadmills are not the best for running as they don't allow you to get into a natural stride. I mean in the winter you might not have another option but when you can run outside, do it. Concrete is worse for your knees than asphalt but grass is obviously the best. I prefer the elliptical or a spin bike as they are low impact but still provide a great workout. Definitely start slow though. Run for as long as you can, then walk a bit and keep alternating.

Offline Seranite

• Doesn't know what's going on.
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 13:14:41 »
Thanks all for the advice! It's really reassuring to read that you also started out with side splitting pains, Sed. It's definitely one of the main reasons I hate running now, but I need to just push through and keep on trying little by little to get where I want to be. Right now in Omaha it's so damn hot and humid outside lately that I haven't been spending time outside exercising so I'm mostly in the gym lifting. There are treadmills in there but like ghost and iamtootall said I feel like I can't get a natural stride. When I'm on a treadmill I usually feel too scared to let go of the handles because I don't want to slip off the back  :))

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 14:03:05 »
I've recently gotten on my old bicycle due to that bike thread..

It's much easier on my whole body now that I'm old.. and I was running 2 miles every other day prior.

I didn't have much pain, except you can feel that your joints are sore afterwards..  not painful, but it's readily apparent that  the impact is there..

Whereas on a bicycle I'm getting roughly the same cardiovascular exercise,  but I don't feel much in the joints at all.

As for side splitting pain  (from running),  that usually has to do with taking shallow breaths..   practice stomach breathing, and use that during running..

If you have a heavy meal (lots of fats / protein).  wait at least 8 hours before you attempt running.  Go to the bathroom first...

The reason is..  that stuff Clumps in your system,  so you got this heavy section of mass moving up and down inside you, while you're running..   this leads to pain.

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 14:04:42 »
Anyone have their before and after numbers from running smolov? I wasn't going to try it until I hit 300 in my working set so I still have a ways to go.

I read "before and after number" and immediately felt like humble bragging ...

Started 2.5 years ago at 320ish lbs current weight is hovering at 220. I've hit my goal of wearing a L/XL, now I've switched to strength training with 20 minutes of cardiovascular each day
That's incredible man congrats! Keep it up.  I'm on the other side of the coin. Went from 135 to 165 over 1.5 years from lifting.

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 14:12:41 »
Cycling is an awesome cardio workout.  No joint pain, and you get to cover some serious ground. Only downside is bikes and gear can get expensive, the cool thing about running is you just need a good pair of shoes.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 14:17:27 »
Biking made my prostate swole up like a mofo. Took everything in me to not have piss dribbling down my leg all day.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 14:20:23 »
Biking made my prostate swole up like a mofo. Took everything in me to not have piss dribbling down my leg all day.

Um.. hahahaha..

You need a bigger seat... 

I didn't get -prostate- problems,  but My butt was hurting. specifically my pelvic and tailbone. so I got a HUGE seat.. and now everything's fine..

This one is the one that's $20 better than the one I got, it's the larger model with EVEN more cushion.

I only got the $50 one, but I wish I got the $70 one, cuz honestly,  if the $50 feels this comfortable,  I'd really like to try the $70

Don't buy those cheaper $20-30 ones,  they barely have any cushioning. they look like they would, since they're bulbous looking, but they're actually quite hard.

http://www.amazon.com/Serfas-Super-Cruiser-Bicycle-Saddle/dp/B000MT0ICO/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1437852109&sr=8-20&keywords=cruiser+seat

I do 9 miles every other morning.  butt feels great.

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 14:42:06 »
Definitely get a seat with a channel. If you're riding a lot a pair of bike shorts with padding goes a long way. My seat has almost no cushion but my cycling shorts all have huge pads so it's never a problem unless I'm doing over 5 hours. Nothing will save you on rides that long.

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 01:51:49 »
Been lifting for 1.5 year seriously, currently on a bulk. Couple weeks I hurt my lower back(same weight like any other day) , now I cannot deadlift or squat  :'(

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 08:54:37 »
Ooh, this is an interesting thread.  I haven't lifted since I rowed in college (didn't have time after Freshman year :-/ ), but I'm working on getting back into things.  I've started running again, and once I get that into a regular routine, I may hit the gym again.  It's just been so long I feel like I'll be really out of practice...

Maybe my GH brothers and sisters can be the motivation I need.   :-*

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 08:58:13 »
I'm with Seranite. I ****ing hate running. I only want to run if I'm chasing a bus or a (big) dog is chasing me. I get around it by hitting the rowing machine at the gym. I want to pick up a bike or something to do cardio outside though. Seriously, I hate running. I forced myself to run (on various machines inside) for 6 months and every minute was torture for me.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 09:01:55 »
I forced myself to run (on various machines inside) for 6 months and every minute was torture for me.

If I had to run on a machine I would hate it too.

Actually, I did hate it even not on a machine.  Running was the worst.  But then I started to not suck, and now I don't mind it.  Obviously if you've been running for 6 months you've given it a fair chance, so I don't say that to convince you to keep with it, just sharing my experience.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 09:05:02 »
I really wish I could get myself in the mindset of running isn't that bad. Or even enjoyable. Haven't figured that out for myself yet. I have a new plan to see if I can force myself to run more so we'll see if it works. Plus I'm like you Hoff. Need to get back into a good gym routine.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 09:07:45 »
Motivation is the hard point for me too.
I practice basketball and during the season it's 2 trainings + match the weekend and I have no problem going everytime.
But since the season is over I haven't ran a kilometer yet :x
And I know I'll be dying because of that in the first trainings...
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 09:13:15 »
I really wish I could get myself in the mindset of running isn't that bad. Or even enjoyable. Haven't figured that out for myself yet. I have a new plan to see if I can force myself to run more so we'll see if it works. Plus I'm like you Hoff. Need to get back into a good gym routine.

In High school football, the coaches used to make us run as a punishment when we F'd up, lol. I hate running but do get on the treadmill here and there.

Weightlifting is way more enjoyable to me (don't have to go heavy), if you're isolating the muscle(s) and getting 10-15 reps per set, you're doing it right!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 09:17:49 »
I like lifting a lot. I'm struggling to find cardio I like enough to do consistently besides rowing. And motivation :(

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 09:19:14 »
I like lifting a lot. I'm struggling to find cardio I like enough to do consistently besides rowing. And motivation :(

Same. I love lifting but cardiovascular is soooo boring (especially since I can't listen to anything).

What are yall doing today? I'm doing calves

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 09:38:04 »

Same. I love lifting but cardiovascular is soooo boring (especially since I can't listen to anything).

Just calves? Damn.

I am gonna start Smolov Jr. again for bench.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 09:53:11 »

Did back/biceps today (doing a push-pull-legs split).

Started 3 months ago, have gone from 70kg -> 81kg at 188cm. Pretty good visual progress too I think  :thumb:

I have a "before" pic but I'm not going to look at it for a while.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 12:11:40 »

Did back/biceps today (doing a push-pull-legs split).

Started 3 months ago, have gone from 70kg -> 81kg at 188cm. Pretty good visual progress too I think  :thumb:

I have a "before" pic but I'm not going to look at it for a while.

I wish i was 81kg ... Im 98 (219lbs) @ 180cm (5'11)

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 14:55:11 »

That reminds me of a workout many years ago when I worked my calves so hard they wouldn't relax for 6 days. I was walking around on my toes swaying like an ape at work for a full week.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 17:15:19 »

Today was A day of Stronglifts for me.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 17:20:32 »
Today consisted of many squats and deadlifts.

i guess I can post my total too

total (@132lb)
squat 380lb
deadlift 450lb
bench 195lb

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 05:43:03 »

I started lifting again a bit under a year ago, after neglecting fitness for most of college.  I'm working on getting my bench up, then I might consider entering a local meet for fun  ;D

total (@132lb)
squat 380lb
deadlift 450lb
bench 195lb

and those are your numbers  :eek: im skeptical but  :thumb: What is your height btw, i'm guessing short by your weight

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 08:55:07 »
I've kinda started doing some simple stuff at home because i used to work as a baggage handler back in Canada and that made me stronger than i ever realized because at the time i just had no choice and was forced to do it because, "it's my job" So after i moved to Japan i just did nothing and now things that used to be so light feel way heavier only after a yearish.

Honestly i don't think i'll really get back to that strength because i really don't have the motivation to workout that hard so i just accept the fact that i'm doing something rather than nothing now. I really have to find another very physical job because it's actually insanely satisfying for me to "get paid for working out" at least that's how i always felt about it.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 09:05:53 »
I've kinda started doing some simple stuff at home because i used to work as a baggage handler back in Canada and that made me stronger than i ever realized because at the time i just had no choice and was forced to do it because, "it's my job" So after i moved to Japan i just did nothing and now things that used to be so light feel way heavier only after a yearish.

Honestly i don't think i'll really get back to that strength because i really don't have the motivation to workout that hard so i just accept the fact that i'm doing something rather than nothing now. I really have to find another very physical job because it's actually insanely satisfying for me to "get paid for working out" at least that's how i always felt about it.

i move on average 50lbs - 75lbs slabs of meat for 9 hours a night 6nights a week, its ****ty man. i have alot of natural lean muscle from doing this for 3 years but didnt start showing size until the gym. The job just wastes energy i could be using to work out, on the plus i dont need cardio, my pedo meter (... ;)) says i walk 15k steps a night so atleast i dont need cardio
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 09:08:42 »

"

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 09:14:14 »
i move on average 50lbs - 75lbs slabs of meat for 9 hours a night 6nights a week, its ****ty man. i have alot of natural lean muscle from doing this for 3 years but didnt start showing size until the gym. The job just wastes energy i could be using to work out, on the plus i dont need cardio, my pedo meter (... ;)) says i walk 15k steps a night so atleast i dont need cardio

I suppose that makes sense since you're forced to expend that energy for work but for myself even when I was at my peak fitness (which isn't that great/fit) I still didn't want to hit the gym. I mean this might have to do with the fact that I've never been not fat in my life so gaining size has never ever been a priority. Sure I'd love to be ripped but in my whole life I've never been that mentally strong to want to push myself through the... "struggle?" this might also be why I have no marketable skills and have no career in sight but that's for another thread.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 09:19:52 »
I used to race bicycles at a national level in college. Now I do a group boot camp style class 5-6 days a week, often at 5:30am. Exercise is important. A gym membership now is cheap compared to doctor bills later.

Offline R1N3

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 09:22:46 »

What's it gonna cost me for a 75lb slab of meat to fall off the back of a truck onto my front porch?

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 09:32:30 »

What's it gonna cost me for a 75lb slab of meat to fall off the back of a truck onto my front porch?

just stop on by bro!

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 09:48:51 »

I started lifting again a bit under a year ago, after neglecting fitness for most of college.  I'm working on getting my bench up, then I might consider entering a local meet for fun  ;D

total (@132lb)
squat 380lb
deadlift 450lb
bench 195lb

and those are your numbers  :eek: im skeptical but  :thumb: What is your height btw, i'm guessing short by your weight
I'm 5'7" (67in./170cm)

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 09:53:00 »
What's everyone doing today? I'm on Biceps with a little forearm stuff

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 09:59:39 »

took the last 4 days off from over training, getting ready to head out after lunch.

plan on hitting total body (minus legs) to shock the system back up,

my gym motivation

More

doyle from the misfits

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 10:00:17 »

Show Image

just stop on by bro!

...Is that Wayne Coyne?

Also, I certainly wouldn't mind your 75lb slab of meat on my front porch.  ;)

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 11:36:21 »

total (@132lb)
squat 380lb
deadlift 450lb
bench 195lb

I'm 5'7" (67in./170cm)

those your 1rm? what is your lift numbers you started with this year? i mean with those numbers, it will take quite some time to hit...you gotta be curious

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 11:53:16 »

total (@132lb)
squat 380lb
deadlift 450lb
bench 195lb

I'm 5'7" (67in./170cm)

those your 1rm? what is your lift numbers you started with this year? i mean with those numbers, it will take quite some time to hit...you gotta be curious

Yeah.. my squat was actually a fair bit higher back in high school, but years of neglect and doing dumb **** have probably affected my legs a bit. 

I don't remember exactly my starting numbers last August, but it was somewhere around:
300-330 DL
under 100 bench
285 squat

This is my first year doing deadlifts, most of my previous training was doing bodybuilding movements

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 11:53:24 »

my pedo meter (... ;))
kek

I used to race bicycles at a national level in college. Now I do a group boot camp style class 5-6 days a week, often at 5:30am. Exercise is important. A gym membership now is cheap compared to doctor bills later.
Health is my biggest motivator. I hope to be able to play sports with my kids far into the future. My biggest fear is that my son(s) will want to play football, and I will only be able to "go" for 10-15 minutes.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 12:16:41 »

"

my gym motivation

More
Show Image

doyle from the misfits

That's cool and all but **** like that doesn't motivate me. Just seems like humble bragging.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 14:42:51 »

took the last 4 days off from over training, getting ready to head out after lunch.

plan on hitting total body (minus legs) to shock the system back up,

my gym motivation

More
Show Image

doyle from the misfits

This guy is scary freaking ripped.... good lord!!!!!!!!  :eek:
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 July 2015, 14:46:16 by Sed8op8 »
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 14:45:03 »

steeroidz + hardwork .. you can too..

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 14:51:38 »

Show Image

Eh possibly not. He could have prepared for this photo. Doesn't have any of the telltale signs. I'd honestly guess natural as I don't know his height and weight. He also looks to have many years of lifting under his belt.

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 17:07:34 »

Yeah.. my squat was actually a fair bit higher back in high school, but years of neglect and doing dumb **** have probably affected my legs a bit. 

I don't remember exactly my starting numbers last August, but it was somewhere around:
300-330 DL
under 100 bench
285 squat

This is my first year doing deadlifts, most of my previous training was doing bodybuilding movements

impressive minus the bench(everyone has a weakpoint) :thumb:

so whats everybody favorite fitness youtubers?
chris jones
https://www.youtube.com/user/PhysiquesOfGreatness

christian guzman
https://www.youtube.com/user/Christianguzmanfitne

and recent favorite matt kido
https://www.youtube.com/user/iLiftBrah

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 17:22:17 »

Show Image

Eh possibly not. He could have prepared for this photo. Doesn't have any of the telltale signs. I'd honestly guess natural as I don't know his height and weight. He also looks to have many years of lifting under his belt.

well u could never tell unless from the side..

Roid gut is the 1 thing they can't get ride of.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 17:24:39 »

300-330 DL
under 100 bench
285 squat

impressive minus the bench(everyone has a weakpoint) :thumb:

chris jones

christian guzman

On mobile so can't link right now, but

Supertraining06
Chris Duffin
Matthew Vincent

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 17:38:44 »

Show Image

well u could never tell unless from the side..

Roid gut is the 1 thing they can't get ride of.

going to have to go as natty as well, he's big but not steroid big

chris jones

christian guzman

On mobile so can't link right now, but

Supertraining06
https://www.youtube.com/user/supertraining06

Chris Duffin
https://www.youtube.com/user/kabuki07

Matthew Vincent
https://www.youtube.com/user/mvincent4130

got you

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 17:58:00 »
Oh boy...this thread will come back to haunt me. It's been a couple of months since I hit the gym; I really need to get back into it. The summer is so easy to make excuses (don't have to wake up early to find parking in the city).

When I was going, I got down to 225 (I think I'm back up to high 230's or low 240's, damn you delicious food), and could squat 425, leg press 450. My upper body is quite bad though, just got to 40lb dumbbell flys.

I also ran 2x a week, usually pulling a 7:15mile (when I first started, couldn't even run 1/4 of a mile without stopping), occasional 5ks.

Diet consisted of almost zero carbs, steak and eggs, and cold cuts for lunch (with veggies). Lost a lot of weight this way. Sometimes did protein shakes, but mostly made sure I ate within 30 minutes of my workout. Otherwise I would feel crappy  :(

Waking up at 7am is so nice. I can't go to the gym at night though (just doesn't work for me). Really need to get back into it so I can lose it again.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 20:33:53 »
Hmm, as I ponder this further, I think this is the wrong thread for me... I'm trying to lose weight, not get buff.   :-[

Do you guys mind if I pollute this thread with my progress?  Or should I GTFO?  :P

Well anyway, I opted to go the route of soccer this evening.   :thumb:   Feels good!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 20:35:03 »
I demand nightly progress photos Hoff. Shirtless.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 20:45:26 »
I demand nightly progress photos Hoff. Shirtless.

I took my shirt off for this pic, just because you asked.   :-*