Author Topic: Which text editor do you use and why?  (Read 53685 times)

Offline iwantatrophy

Which text editor do you use and why?
« on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 04:22:47 »
It is Sublime for me because of its easy usability. I tried learning vim and emacs but both are just strange to me.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
Re: Which text editor do you use and why?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 04:50:34 »
Emacs user here for nearly 17 years now, Spacemacs user for about a year and a half. I'm an Emacs user, because it is the most powerful, most customisable thing, ever. It's not just a text editor, it is an IDE, an IRC client, an Email and RSS feed reader, a music player, and whatever else you can imagine. I live inside Emacs. The only thing I do outside of it, is browsing.

This way, I have all the familiar key bindings, and the full power of Emacs at my fingertips, no matter what I do. It is consistent, powerful, and doesn't care that I have thousands of buffers open. Being able to reach everything, from anywhere, pretty much effortlessly, is an incredible boost to both productivity, and comfort.

Offline Kilonzi

• Praise the sun!
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 04:51:13 »
When I was working a lot with Sun Solaris systems I used plain VI and also VIM all the time and on all operating systems.

Now I switched to Sublime Text too. It's a great text editor. A lot of good functions, cross-platform and really, really fast.

At work I do some coding here and there. I'm currently trying out Visual Studio Code. And it's not bad. I quite like it too. But sometimes I think that a lot of things are just copied from Sublime Text.

Offline lancre

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 05:57:26 »
I use emacs because of the support for R through ESS mode.

I also like org mode, and the ability to use shells in buffers, and it has nice support for Clojure which I want to learn.

I also like how I can remap keys in init.el.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2017, 05:59:58 by lancre »

Realforce 104UW          Dell AT102W             NMB RT8255C+                   Omnikey Ultra-T

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 06:07:26 »
notepad++. it's really fast and i'm used to it

i've been meaning to try out vs code though, it's improving very fast

Offline joey

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 06:16:28 »
vim, picked it first over emacs and never tried to switch.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 07:02:52 »
I use Vim because it's on every server in production and beyond.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 07:04:53 »
Sublime, favorite by far once customized.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 07:32:56 »
Vim, the One True Editor. Learned vanilla vi when I was a wee sysadmin farming Solaris and Irix boxes; kept using it because once the vi worms are your brain, you no longer want to escape. (Or rather, it is a Hotel California - you escape all the time, but never leave.)

The first "real" text editor I used was Eve, on VMS.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 07:35:09 »
I really like Atom.

I'm very new to programming in general, but I like it for it's very user friendly interface and all the nice extensions that come along with it.  I don't have a ton to compare it to, but for now it's very comfortable for me to use.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2017, 10:31:58 by Flyersfan1 »
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 10:32:37 »
I use Atom, came from Sublime Text. It's a lot stronger than Sublime Text and does some things a lot better, like package management. Open source is a plus too. I've considered switching to VS Code since it's supposed to be faster, but I'm not a huge fan of Microsoft and I don't code enough right now to care. If I switch to Linux later I would very much like to learn Vim, largely thanks to its omnipresence, allowing you to use it over ssh.
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 10:52:31 »
BBEdit. l mostly live in Mac OS X. Been using it for years, haven't needed to switch.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 13:24:17 »
vim for essentially everything, I immediately miss it when I have to use something else. I'll probably switch to emacs with evil mode at some point when I do more Lisp'ing

This way, I have all the familiar key bindings, and the full power of Emacs at my fingertips, no matter what I do.

That is super compelling to me, basically sold me om switching with just that statement.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Sniping

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 13:28:27 »
i'm a sublime boi

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 22:26:34 »
I've always been a vi/vim guy.  I was a UNIX admin for many years...so that is where I picked it up.

I do use textmate on my Macs on occasion.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 07:19:27 »
Vim all the way. Been using it since 2006, invested a lot of time in writing plugins / streamlining setup / finding plugins.

I like spacemacs as well and I am attracted to it because it seems more streamlined / unified approach. Plugins all seem to have more predictable behavior, whereas vim plugins can vary greatly in terms of default shortcuts / UI layout (temporary buffer or not, opening in the same buffer or opening another window, allowing remap or having to set config parameters for the plugin etc).
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 08:32:48 »
I use Nano for all those small editing tasks, with the alias "pico".
Nano is GNU's clone of Pico which came with an early email client called Pine, which was the first email client that I used. Pine and Pico or Nano has been available on every Unix and Linux system that I have ever had a user account on. You can almost always count on it being installed.
It has very few commands. Nano has syntax highlighting but bogs down if source files are larger than a couple hundred lines or so, so ...

For programming, I use either GEdit or whatever is in the IDE that I have to use. I prefer the Mac/Windows hotkey set for heavy editing. Notepad++ on Windows.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 March 2017, 08:34:50 by Findecanor »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 19:59:14 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=4482.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48499.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73366.0

:p

I knew this was a really popular question around here, but that's ridiculous :)

That's all I could find after a very brief search - there are probably a few more threads with more obscure titles.

FTR I use vim mostly, and TextWrangler on Mac.  ConTEXT on Windows on the rare occasions that I suffer under Microsoft these days.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 20:27:05 »
SublimeText all the way :)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 02:21:17 »
I used to be completely Vim, but TBH VS Code has everything I could want, and the extensions for anything it doesn't have out of the box. Super lightweight, fast, cross-platform, and performs well under HiDPI on Windows (which GVim fails at hard)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 08:33:16 »
Realized that I didn't answer the question.  :)  I've gone through SlickEdit, UltraEdit,  Zeus,  Emacs,  and Atom,  but have Settled into Sublime Text,  and it's sublime text all the way now, though I dabble in VS Code. Extensions,  support for Markdown, speed, projects out of folders, split screen,  and the ability to sync the screens are my reasons.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 09:20:09 »
I knew this was a really popular question around here, but that's ridiculous :)
It's interesting to see how usages change, though.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 12:38:12 »
Interestingly Vim and Sublime Text listed as being used by the CIA in the latest WikiLeaks release. While curiously Notepad++ is targeted using a DLL hijack, as part of a section on exploiting portable versions of apps.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 14:15:03 »
libreoffice for most of my stuff

scrivener if it's november
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 14:48:54 »
Just a hobbyist here. VIM to jot down ideas. NANO for quick .conf edits. Mousepad/Geany/Gedit for everything else. I'll most likely d/l Sublime again to help with Python; I know enough to edit things but not enough to write things.

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 14:57:08 »
sublime, notepad++

so good
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Blanched_Almond

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 00:39:50 »
For me its a Sublime text because I am able to customize shortcuts available for my needs.  It’s remarkably good! On one hand, I'm also using a notepad, though it is only suitable for windows.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 March 2017, 20:44:58 by Blanched_Almond »

Offline iri

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 08:15:09 »
Vim of course.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline wangledorf

• Formerly pewing
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 02:16:33 »
Neovim and Vim when neovim isn't an option; once you learn Vim, relying on a mouse feels extra cumbersome. On Windows will occasionally use Notepad++ for non-programming stuff like editing markup. The alt-click (vertical select) functionality is pretty much the only reason I have it installed.  :thumb:

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 10:09:25 »
VIm with line numbers and Penumbra color theme. I actually find myself often wishing that the forum editor was VIm.

I learned VI way way back and it's just what I've always used, it works and unless you uninstall it almost every *nix style OS has some version of it installed by default.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 10:37:30 »
VIm with line numbers and Penumbra color theme. I actually find myself often wishing that the forum editor was VIm.

If you use the Chrome browser/spyware, there's Vimium for forms. I have to use Chrome for some things at work, and Vimium's pretty nice.

Offline iri

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 11:10:47 »

If you use the Chrome browser/spyware, there's Vimium for forms. I have to use Chrome for some things at work, and Vimium's pretty nice.
Is there spyware in Chromium?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 12:13:59 »

Is there spyware in Chromium?

Thats true for all browsers if you read the license agreement the parent company is allowed to collect anonymous browser habits and statistic. There are usually opt-outs but you can never be 100% sure, it's the nature of being online. When I'm president I will abolish licenses, companies will either sell you the software w/o ****ty ass licenses or they wont sell anything. Tear down the walls not build new ones.  ;)

Offline KnightDX

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 12:15:23 »
Notepad++ for its plugins and ease of use, as well as its syntax highlighting.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 17:29:14 »
MS-DOS_Editor, works well in Windows 10.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 09:14:04 »
I used to be completely Vim, but TBH VS Code has everything I could want, and the extensions for anything it doesn't have out of the box. Super lightweight, fast, cross-platform, and performs well under HiDPI on Windows (which GVim fails at hard)

Never thought I'd use a MS product, but I've actually been using VS Code with Vim mode instead of Emacs over the last week and am liking it a lot. Previously had used Emacs for ~6 years.

Offline iri

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 09:42:16 »
VS Code is nice. Its Vim modes are crap.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 15:03:09 »
I've been using Ultra-Edit for over a decade. fantastic for handling really big data files too. very customizable too.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 07:58:58 »
VS Code is nice. Its Vim modes are crap.

You're right, but I'm not using the Vim mode for the sake of Vim emulation, just to have slightly nicer keyboard navigation. There are definitely lots of little parts of it that don't work well -- macros seem to be particularly bad. I periodically revert to Emacs just for macros and then switch back to VS Code.

Offline iri

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 08:55:31 »
Makes sense.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 11:00:28 »
libreoffice for most of my stuff

scrivener if it's november

Hey, another writer... cool! :)

Offline iwantatrophy

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 23:15:00 »
A genuine question : is Vim like editor really viable for those who have to work on files in multiple directories? It seems way easier for me to use a GUI to browse and open the file rather than type :b and browse to the file manually.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 23:33:34 »
You could just launch vim with the file in question straight from your CLI. Well, there are probably loads of plugins for file browsing that I'm not aware of just yet

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 22:21:52 »
A genuine question : is Vim like editor really viable for those who have to work on files in multiple directories? It seems way easier for me to use a GUI to browse and open the file rather than type :b and browse to the file manually.

I use vim to edit files in multiple directories fairly often.  I just invoke vim and pass a list of filenames (or a wildcard) on the command line, then :n to cycle through all the buffers in turn.

Offline northpark

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 00:42:12 »
Notepad++ on Windows... that alt-select functionality... O_O

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 01:09:04 »
Windows: Notepad++
Linux GUI: Geany
Linux CLI: Nano

I have fairly light requirements for a text editor. I like having auto-indent and syntax highlighting. Geany's search/replace is quite powerful compared to others I've used, which is nice.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline drakche

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 04:10:19 »
Long time Sublime Text user, but some months ago I switched to VS Code, and I'm really loving it.
out-of-the-box NodeJS debugger is amazing (I'm a JS developer)

Offline iwantatrophy

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 06:10:39 »
Long time Sublime Text user, but some months ago I switched to VS Code, and I'm really loving it.

I like VS Code too, but Sublime is very fast and it feels soo wrong using MS VS Code in Linux.

Offline drakche

« Reply #50 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 06:14:39 »

I like VS Code too, but Sublime is very fast and it feels soo wrong using MS VS Code in Linux.

Sublime will always be faster no matter what.
But as I upgraded my work machine, VS code feels more than enough fast.

As for using it on linux.
It was strange at first, but the features won me over. So I decided to do the unthinkable.

BTW, I'm a former C# developer, so I'm used to MS IDE's and work tools, so I got that to help me out with it.

Currently for me, it's hands down the most comfortable text editor for web development.

It has some really kick ass features.

And with the awesome plugin for syncing the settings it's perfect for me since I switch computers a lot.

Offline iwantatrophy

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 06:18:16 »

It was strange at first, but the features won me over. So I decided to do the unthinkable.

BTW, I'm a former C# developer, so I'm used to MS IDE's and work tools, so I got that to help me out with it.

Currently for me, it's hands down the most comfortable text editor for web development.

And with the awesome plugin for syncing the settings it's perfect for me since I switch computers a lot.

Hey, VS has a syncing plugin? How does it work?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 06:32:48 »
Used Sublime Text for couple of years but have migrated to Atom. It has better package management and it's open-source so no need to worry about licenses and stuff. It's been quite nice replacement but I had to get used to it, for example, add some keymapping that I grew accustomed to in ST and that's about it.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 07:55:03 »
It's VIM. I use it to write prose, letters, code, wikis, todos list. I even use its shortcuts in firefox through vimfx.
I use it because it's faster and easier than all the other editors. Selecting text in normal mode is easier than having to use the mouse, or some combinations like ctrl maiusc arrow. Most of the times, if I have to write a word document, first I write the text in vim, and then I paste in office/libreoffice.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 April 2017, 07:57:36 by Giorgio »

Offline drakche

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 08:43:44 »

Hey, VS has a syncing plugin? How does it work?

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Shan.code-settings-sync

You set up a gist and it has the settings and plugins backups.

IMHO one of the most useful things to have on a text editor.

Offline iwantatrophy

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 09:12:40 »

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Shan.code-settings-sync

You set up a gist and it has the settings and plugins backups.

IMHO one of the most useful things to have on a text editor.

I found something similar for Sublime. I never knew I needed this. Thanks!
https://packagecontrol.io/packages/Sync%20Settings

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 22:01:16 »
I'm a JS developer

You have my deepest sympathy.

Offline robertdane101

• This time will pass.
    • Memory Expert
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 01:26:48 »
I use android studio for programming
Ms word for writing

Offline drakche

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 04:04:08 »
I'm a JS developer

Why, JS is actually an extremely pleasant language to use.
And on top of that, and really potent language, especially if you know what are you doing.
ES6 is beyond amazing.

Mind you, I'm not talking about jQuary or already made frameworks.
I'm mostly talking about NodeJS and usage of pure vanilla JS and ES6.

Currently it's my second favorite after Pyhton.

And by far much better to use than PHP or Java.

I think that main problem that people have with JS is that a lot of them dive into directly, and they don't have any prior knowledge of any other proper programming language.
In my opinion, the only correct way of learning to properly use JS is to first be very proficient in a traditional back end language. It's really an language that doesn't hold your hand and on top of it, even a lousy code can work. That doesn't mean you should write a lousy code, it just mean you suck at programming. I've been programming in JS for about 5ish years, while being a programmer professionally for about 8 year. Most of the time I used either python or C# as my main language, while complimenting them with JS. And since couple of years back, I've moved to mostly NodeJS and NoSQL databases. And never felt any hindrances by using the language. On contrary, I felt hindrances using other languages and stuff missing from JS. Over the course of my professional carrier I've work on many platforms and on many languages, from desktop apps, web apps, Symbian, Android, Windows Mobile and Windows Phone and even did Mathematical programming in Mathlab and APL2, and in the end. I don't give a **** what I'm using, as long as it's not Java :D

Everything is logical in JS if you know what are you doing, but if you do 3 courses on Lynda or CodeAcademy and they you have the nerve to call yourself a JS developer... Good on you, but you're full of ****.

Rant over...

TL;DR; I kinda had to rant about people slandering JS all the time, while not knowing anything about it or how to proper utilize it. I'm not saying that you don't know, but most people in fact don't, and they're not helping by slandering it.

Offline iri

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 07:49:19 »
I'm a JS developer

:-X

-Ray Bradbury

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 13:54:06 »
Everything is logical in JS if you know what are you doing
Oh dear…

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 16:41:36 »
Could we please modify the subject?

What text editor do you use, and why is it vim?

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 17:01:04 »
I use vim, because I don't totally hate babies

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 17:09:20 »
"...VS Code.....Super lightweight"

Lightweight compared to what?? a full fledged Visual Studio install!?   :))

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 17:11:59 »
GNU Emacs, because ELisp >>> that native abomination in Vim. Perhaps I could give Neovim a chance, but I don't see that much of a point in switching TBH.

Offline iri

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 17:38:49 »
I use vim, because I don't totally hate babies
I totally hate babies and I use Vim.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 22:21:29 »
I'm a JS developer

And on top of that, and really potent language, especially if you know what are you doing.
ES6 is beyond amazing.

I think that main problem that people have with JS is that a lot of them dive into directly, and they don't have any prior knowledge of any other proper programming language.
In my opinion, the only correct way of learning to properly use JS is to first be very proficient in a traditional back end language. It's really an language that doesn't hold your hand and on top of it, even a lousy code can work. That doesn't mean you should write a lousy code, it just mean you suck at programming. I've been programming in JS for about 5ish years, while being a programmer professionally for about 8 year. Most of the time I used either python or C# as my main language, while complimenting them with JS. And since couple of years back, I've moved to mostly NodeJS and NoSQL databases. And never felt any hindrances by using the language. On contrary, I felt hindrances using other languages and stuff missing from JS. Over the course of my professional carrier I've work on many platforms and on many languages, from desktop apps, web apps, Symbian, Android, Windows Mobile and Windows Phone and even did Mathematical programming in Mathlab and APL2, and in the end. I don't give a **** what I'm using, as long as it's not Java :D

Everything is logical in JS if you know what are you doing, but if you do 3 courses on Lynda or CodeAcademy and they you have the nerve to call yourself a JS developer... Good on you, but you're full of ****.

Rant over...

TL;DR; I kinda had to rant about people slandering JS all the time, while not knowing anything about it or how to proper utilize it. I'm not saying that you don't know, but most people in fact don't, and they're not helping by slandering it.

I tried to learn JavaScript for a couple of months last year following online courses (can't remember which) and about 4 different books.

The courses were not going in the direction I wanted (writing web components), so I tried the books.

Many of the examples in the books simply didn't work.

I did a few of the exercises, and my solutions worked, more or less, but bore almost no resemblance to the solution the book was expecting, so I probably missed the point of the exercises.

I tried going it alone and using intuition, which usually works well, but we were using an alpha framework something from Google at the time and when something broke I had no idea if it was me or the framework, which didn't help.

Not much in JavaScript seemed to make sense, not many of the changes I made to existing scripts had the expected results, and eventually I was moved off onto $ome more important $tuff.

If you've been programming professionally for 8 years, then I have probably been programming professionally since before you were born., and have forgotten more programming languages than most people have known.

My favourite is Python - it is simple, comprehensive, well supported, does almost everything out of the box and there are modules that can be installed for almost anything else, even runs under the JVM in environment where I'm not allowed to install a Python interpreter but a Java runtime is available.

Maybe one day I'll go back to JavaScript, although others in the company have already written the web components, and most of the rest of us are concentrating on migrating to Java anyway.

And I do use vim on a daily basis, and don't mind babies as long as they are somewhere else (mine has grown up a lot now and is approaching teenhood).

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 22:46:41 »
I'm a JS developer

ES6 is beyond amazing.

Rant over...

I tried to learn JavaScript for a couple of months last year following online courses (can't remember which) and about 4 different books.

The courses were not going in the direction I wanted (writing web components), so I tried the books.

Many of the examples in the books simply didn't work.

I did a few of the exercises, and my solutions worked, more or less, but bore almost no resemblance to the solution the book was expecting, so I probably missed the point of the exercises.

I tried going it alone and using intuition, which usually works well, but we were using an alpha framework something from Google at the time and when something broke I had no idea if it was me or the framework, which didn't help.

Not much in JavaScript seemed to make sense, not many of the changes I made to existing scripts had the expected results, and eventually I was moved off onto $ome more important $tuff.

If you've been programming professionally for 8 years, then I have probably been programming professionally since before you were born., and have forgotten more programming languages than most people have known.

My favourite is Python - it is simple, comprehensive, well supported, does almost everything out of the box and there are modules that can be installed for almost anything else, even runs under the JVM in environment where I'm not allowed to install a Python interpreter but a Java runtime is available.

Maybe one day I'll go back to JavaScript, although others in the company have already written the web components, and most of the rest of us are concentrating on migrating to Java anyway.

And I do use vim on a daily basis, and don't mind babies as long as they are somewhere else (mine has grown up a lot now and is approaching teenhood).

Awesome. I'm literally on day 21 of a Python learning experiment. Python must be a good choice. Currently using Geany as I pool resources to help with the first VIM configuration.

Offline lolbitter

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 23:26:44 »
Vim and python for me too. I guess vim bindings felt relatively reasonable to learn, although this thread made me think maybe emacs wouldnt be so bad to revisit

Offline Jhors2

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 14:49:40 »
Lately I've been using Atom.  I write a lot of go and the extra extensions for auto formatting and import make my life a lot easier.
Duck Blackbird | Duck LSv3 | Duck Unicorn X Legend |  TX-75 | Mira SE | LZ-CP | LZ Iron | LZ Ergo | Duck Jet Fire | OTD 360 Corsa Apple Silver | TGR-910 CE

Incoming: Zeal Zephyr | Duck TC-V3 | Singa R2 | LZ GH v2 | Noxary 280 S | Noxary 220 S

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 15:06:40 »
I think it goes without saying for me: Vim.

Absolutely, I use a plugin called NERDTRee https://github.com/scrooloose/nerdtree and it works wonders for projects with lots of subdirectories. You can recursively open directories and quickly search by filename just like any other buffer.

165259-0

In Vim (not plain Vi) there is some basic file browsing built in as well. Just use "e ." (edit current directory) to open it. You can use CTRL+O like a "back" button to reopen your previous file too.

Offline profanum429

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 16:12:10 »
Vim when using a Linux or BSD system; Notepad++ in Windows.

I'll also end up using the editor provided by an IDE depending on the platform; like for developing ARM software I'll usually be using either the Keil uVision IDE or Segger Embedded Studio (depending on the tools I'm using).

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 02:46:16 »

Absolutely, I use a plugin called NERDTRee https://github.com/scrooloose/nerdtree and it works wonders for projects with lots of subdirectories. You can recursively open directories and quickly search by filename just like any other buffer.

(Attachment Link)

In Vim (not plain Vi) there is some basic file browsing built in as well. Just use "e ." (edit current directory) to open it. You can use CTRL+O like a "back" button to reopen your previous file too.

I found that Ranger works really well with vim. Super fast and deadly

Offline iri

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 06:24:08 »
Deadly?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 11:19:30 »
Deadly?

... a file browser that takes vi/vim commands tho. Sometimes I forget how serious this stuff is to some people.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 17:01:37 »

(Attachment Link)

NERDtree is awesome, although fuzzy file finders are also great, like CtrlP:

https://github.com/kien/ctrlp.vim

Offline rasmusx

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:56:56 »
Using Vim for over 5 years. Recently switches to nvim :)

Like it because of the modal editing mode. Now using it in browser also through chrome extension.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 05:00:33 »
On Linux: nano, as I'm usually on through ssh.
On Win: just your standard notepad. Or notepad+ if I'm feelin' fancy.

Offline robertdane101

• This time will pass.
    • Memory Expert
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 05:36:46 »
MS Word for Normal work
Sometimes wordpad

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 06:51:52 »
PhpStorm and Vim.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 01:10:56 »
I recently came across a page about Elastic Tabstops. There are plugins for a whole slew of text editors.
At first glance, the idea looks really tempting - I see potential for not having to fidget so much with the code I write to make it pretty but I can see how it could be problematic when having to deal with code/users that do not use it.

Are you using it? What do you think of it? Could the idea be improved somehow?

Offline Entropia

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 05:03:41 »
I've been using Ultraedit for many years. Now, thanks to this thread, I've discovered Sublime Text 3 and I've installed it and configured it in all my computers. It's fantastic.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 18:24:00 »
I recently came across a page about Elastic Tabstops. There are plugins for a whole slew of text editors.
At first glance, the idea looks really tempting - I see potential for not having to fidget so much with the code I write to make it pretty but I can see how it could be problematic when having to deal with code/users that do not use it.

Are you using it? What do you think of it? Could the idea be improved somehow?

No plugin for my preferred editor (Geany).

In terms of making things less problematic for collaborators, it might be nice to combine the alignment properties of the elastic tabstops with some sort of space:tab ratio like in a lot of editors right now, moving whole blocks/columns to the next predefined stop (I like every 4 spaces). If I'm interpreting the page correctly, I think this is similar to how Sublime handles the idea right now?

That's a little against the stated philosophy, but I think it improves the portability aspect a lot.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline riktors

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 22:59:32 »
VIM4Life

Seriously though I started with vi/vim because I started as a UNIX admin 16 years ago and that is guaranteed to be everywhere. HP-UX, Solaris, Linux, AIX, BSD etc.

At this point I can't imagine anything replacing it for me.

Offline asianboy30354

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 20:56:43 »
sublime for me, just so clean imo

Offline Darksair

• My Homepage
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 19:43:34 »
10 year Emacs user here.

Because there's no way I can migrate my ~200K of configuration to any other editor…  And since no other editor are configured with Lisp, I don't want to…  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 21:41:11 »
10 year Emacs user here.

Because there's no way I can migrate my ~200K of configuration to any other editor…  And since no other editor are configured with Lisp, I don't want to…  :p

That's a lot of configuration :eek:

Does it take long to start up?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 22:39:16 »
last time i posted in this thread i said i wanted to try vscode

i've been using it at work for the last 3-4 months, and i'm loving it. very customisable and its development is very active

i urge you guys to give it a try. there are apparently pretty good vim extensions available if you can't live without it

Offline dodgeyhack

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 00:20:39 »
vim, gVim, MacVim.
Firstly because I can do so much without moving my hands very much.
Secondly it's fun. It's like regularly getting new toys as you learn more and more tricks.
My favourite plugins are:
* Tagbar
* NERDTree
* CtrlP

Offline Darksair

• My Homepage
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 02:09:59 »
10 year Emacs user here.

That's a lot of configuration :eek:

Does it take long to start up?

Unlike Vim, you can pretty much use Emacs as a notepad right from the start.  And you can build up your configs over time.  Nowadays Emacs has become much more "user-friendly" than the version 21 days; packages are quite easy to install and config.  In fact if you use the built-in package manager usually you don't need to do any configuration.  In this sense it's very similar to Atom, VS Code, and the like.  So yea, now it's a good time to start and it shouldn't take you very long to install some essential (and modern) packages (magit, company, and helm come to mind) and enjoy the experience.

Offline iri

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 04:26:08 »
there are apparently pretty good vim extensions available
Not a single one.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline seva1385

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 13:29:33 »
20-years of VIMming. Best part of it is regular expression support. Macros come in handy often; for example, I can calculate total of Amazon promotional charges using VIM (loading statement in the editor and doing a bit of context-replacement, macroing, and scripting). I sometimes process millions of lines of text at a time in this manner, though sed is a better tool for such bulk work. Yes, configuration  script of VIM  does not deserve to be called a language; most of the time, however, you only need to write couple of lines in it.

Prior to that, I tried to love Emacs, which, they joked, stands for "Eight Megs And Constant Swapping", back in the day when eight megs was a lot of memory.
Kinesis Advantage2

Offline malthusthomas

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 20:51:24 »
On Mac OS X I was using TextWrangler, mainly for working with raw data. I only wrote code within the editors contained in Stata and R Studio. Since I've migrated to Ubuntu I've been using Atom to write my code for Stata and R (and learning a little html, css, and js). For any document creation I use TeXstudio, though I see Atom has a package for TeX and I might check that out at some point.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 21:48:45 »
On Mac OS X I was using TextWrangler, mainly for working with raw data. I only wrote code within the editors contained in Stata and R Studio. Since I've migrated to Ubuntu I've been using Atom to write my code for Stata and R (and learning a little html, css, and js). For any document creation I use TeXstudio, though I see Atom has a package for TeX and I might check that out at some point.

For anyone following this, TextWrangler has been put out to pasture, and BBEdit (by the same company) now has a free mode with otherwise pretty much equivalent functionality.

Offline malthusthomas

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 22:40:57 »

For anyone following this, TextWrangler has been put out to pasture, and BBEdit (by the same company) now has a free mode with otherwise pretty much equivalent functionality.

Jeez, I wonder how I missed that development.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 03:30:38 »

Jeez, I wonder how I missed that development.

I think I probably saw an article on a tech website somewhere.  I pondered sticking with TextWrangler - it still works - but decided to cross-grade to BBEdit.  Once the trial period passed, for all intents and purposes it is identical to TextWrangler for my purposes.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 15:45:07 »
Notepad++ on Windows. Vim or Gedit on Ubuntu. Vim when I'm already in a terminal and Gedit when I open stuff for just reading or putting notes about something.

I'm not a hardcore Vim user (I don't even have a .vimrc file), but especially with tmux it is nice once you learn the basics. I should start learning a bit more about configuring and extending it though.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 02:11:22 »
sublime.

Offline wylie

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 02:48:41 »
sublime.<vim movement command>

Offline iri

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 02:49:37 »
sublime.<vim movement command>
SVim<esc>

-Ray Bradbury

Offline yuppie

« Reply #100 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 17:29:56 »
Vim.

It's in the terminal, where I spend half my time, I memorized the commands I use most frequently. Plenty of plugins. Easy.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline fleischverpackung

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 11:55:05 »
I like the dark theme from visual studio

Offline Millsoncapo

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 12:52:27 »
Sublime  +1

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 20:59:10 »
Don't forget the "... and why" bit!

Offline SJHL

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 11:17:07 »
Been using VIM at work. Confusing as heck in the beginning but after awhile, it isn't bad at all.

Offline Landcaps

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 01:24:53 »
Sublime user here. very user friendly and great ui

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 12:50:24 »
Emacs user here for nearly 17 years now, Spacemacs user for about a year and a half. I'm an Emacs user, because it is the most powerful, most customisable thing, ever. It's not just a text editor, it is an IDE, an IRC client, an Email and RSS feed reader, a music player, and whatever else you can imagine. I live inside Emacs. The only thing I do outside of it, is browsing.

This way, I have all the familiar key bindings, and the full power of Emacs at my fingertips, no matter what I do. It is consistent, powerful, and doesn't care that I have thousands of buffers open. Being able to reach everything, from anywhere, pretty much effortlessly, is an incredible boost to both productivity, and comfort.

Honest question. I type vim commands in my sleep, been using it for 15 years. But I am looking toward switching to emacs because of consistency in everything and the increased power. What are the benefits in your opinion? But more importantly. How Do I Switch From Vim. I tried reading emacs manual, tried to "simulate" vim as much as possible. Or am I doing it wrong?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 12:50:48 »
I use emacs because of the support for R through ESS mode.

I also like org mode, and the ability to use shells in buffers, and it has nice support for Clojure which I want to learn.

I also like how I can remap keys in init.el.

R in vim is far from perfect... VIM needs a proper REPL implementation. Perhaps neovim sometimes.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 12:53:37 »
Vim. All the thrusting way.

The first time I log on to a server or environment that's new to me I do:

inoremap kj <Esc>
inoremap jk <Esc>
nnoremap <Space> i

And that's about what I need from vanilla vim.

I use it literally for everything... prose, latex, python, html, js, css, yaml, rest, json, c, cpp, config, whatever.

But I must say seeing elisp made me hungry for more...

I really HATE vim in terms of consistency in the UI. Every plugin does things differently. It's a mess. For instance, I work in windows, and I have 3 monitors. I want vim to open every buffer in or below current window, not at the bottom of the whole effing screen. Why can't this be done? Can this be done in emacs?

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 13:20:23 »
TextWrangler on the Mac, because it's free and familiar.

Pluma on Ubuntu MATE, because it came with the distro.

Do not understand why anybody today would willingly use CLI-based editors like vim or emacs.  From where I sit, those relics from 1970s mainframe environments have been obsolete since about 1985 or so.  More than thirty years later, it seems like a lot of people still haven't got the memo.

Offline joey

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 13:23:22 »
TextWrangler on the Mac, because it's free and familiar.

Pluma on Ubuntu MATE, because it came with the distro.

Do not understand why anybody today would willingly use CLI-based editors like vim or emacs.  From where I sit, those relics from 1970s mainframe environments have been obsolete since about 1985 or so.  More than thirty years later, it seems like a lot of people still haven't got the memo.
Because they work well for us :thumb:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 14:10:59 »
I like the way that when I encounter a text file in command-line mode, I can get edit it quickly right then and there and then get back to the command line.
Works over SSH as well without having to set up X forwarding.

Earlier this year, I did a pre-study to see how difficult it would be to write my own text editor. I found that you can actually write a text editor in text mode that uses the regular Mac/Windows/Amiga/GNOME/KDE conventions that are used in GUI programs. It could use Shift-<Arrow> to select, and Ctrl+X,C,V shortcuts etc.
It could also take mouse input for controlling menus, and in a modern terminal that supports Unicode, you could do some pretty but basic frames, scrollbars, menus and status bars.
The only real limit that I came across was that text-mode programs can't take Ctrl+Shift+<letter> shortcuts.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 14:25:34 »
I like the way that when I encounter a text file in command-line mode, I can get edit it quickly right then and there and then get back to the command line.
Works over SSH as well without having to set up X forwarding.

Earlier this year, I did a pre-study to see how difficult it would be to write my own text editor. I found that you can actually write a text editor in text mode that uses the regular Mac/Windows/Amiga/GNOME/KDE conventions that are used in GUI programs. It could use Shift-<Arrow> to select, and Ctrl+X,C,V shortcuts etc.
It could also take mouse input for controlling menus, and in a modern terminal that supports Unicode, you could do some pretty but basic frames, scrollbars, menus and status bars.
The only real limit that I came across was that text-mode programs can't take Ctrl+Shift+<letter> shortcuts.

That's really interesting. What programming language did you use?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 14:54:10 »
What programming language did you use?
The programming language does not matter much as long as you can input and output ANSI codes, and Unicode if supported by the current locale. If you write in C (or a derivative), there is the widely supported ncurses library which has abstractions around ANSI codes and can manage a character buffer for full-screen programs.

I wanted to use Rust, as an exercise to learn it but I could not get Rust to work under 32-bit x86 Linux, so I wrote C++.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 October 2017, 14:55:56 by Findecanor »

Offline joey

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 14:56:11 »
I wanted to use Rust, as an exercise for learning it but I could not get Rust to work under 32-bit x86 Linux.
Why did you need to?

I wrote a ****ty editor in rust. It was ****ty.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 15:43:54 »
What programming language did you use?
The programming language does not matter much as long as you can input and output ANSI codes, and Unicode if supported by the current locale. If you write in C (or a derivative), there is the widely supported ncurses library which has abstractions around ANSI codes and can manage a character buffer for full-screen programs.

I wanted to use Rust, as an exercise to learn it but I could not get Rust to work under 32-bit x86 Linux, so I wrote C++.

But what about UTF-8? Isn't that a ***** in C/C++? Or are there good libraries for that now? Sorry, I'm not an C/C++ expert (I wish I were).

Offline iri

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 16:26:08 »

Honest question. I type vim commands in my sleep, been using it for 15 years. But I am looking toward switching to emacs because of consistency in everything and the increased power. What are the benefits in your opinion? But more importantly. How Do I Switch From Vim. I tried reading emacs manual, tried to "simulate" vim as much as possible. Or am I doing it wrong?
Yes you are. Install evil-mode and achieve satori.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 05:37:59 »

Yes you are. Install evil-mode and achieve satori.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 06:31:30 »
But what about UTF-8? Isn't that a ***** in C/C++? Or are there good libraries for that now? Sorry, I'm not an C/C++ expert (I wish I were).
That depends on what tradeoffs you have... Unicode and utf-8 is a standard but not particularly user-friendly or safe.
If all you want to do is support European languages in a character set that the current user has set up in his environment -- and allow that to be utf-8 -- then you can do that with libc: the easiest thing is to setlocale() to make the C library redirect to functions for the current character set; Then convert to/from wchar_t when loading and saving - with internal buffers in 32-bit wchar_t.
If you want to correctly handle right-to-left language text (Hebrew, Arabic), you will have to use an external library to move letters around and you can create a real mess for yourself. Right-to-left text could be confusing in a programmer's text editor though.

There are a bunch of other libraries for C++ that handle utf-8 and Unicode wchar_t in various ways. There is rudimentary utf-8 support in later version of C++ and more in Boost (which is almost standard).
However, I wanted my editor to be binary-safe (with the exception of really long lines) and to validate utf-8 and highlight incorrect/unsafe utf-8 sequences. I did not find any library that did that so I wrote my own. I have not got much further than that though.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 06:42:23 »
That depends on what tradeoffs you have... Unicode and utf-8 is a standard but not particularly user-friendly or safe.
If all you want to do is support European languages in a character set that the current user has set up in his environment -- and allow that to be utf-8 -- then you can do that with libc: the easiest thing is to setlocale() to make the C library redirect to functions for the current character set; Then convert to/from wchar_t when loading and saving - with internal buffers in 32-bit wchar_t.
If you want to correctly handle right-to-left language text (Hebrew, Arabic), you will have to use an external library to move letters around and you can create a real mess for yourself. Right-to-left text could be confusing in a programmer's text editor though.

There are a bunch of other libraries for C++ that handle utf-8 and Unicode wchar_t in various ways. There is rudimentary utf-8 support in later version of C++ and more in Boost (which is almost standard).
However, I wanted my editor to be binary-safe (with the exception of really long lines) and to validate utf-8 and highlight incorrect/unsafe utf-8 sequences. I did not find any library that did that so I wrote my own. I have not got much further than that though.

Interesting. I still don't grasp the basics of UTF-8, I think that they actually should've provided a very clean interface to dealing with UTF-8. Every programming language deals with it differently. My brain still explodes when I have to deal with it in python, for instance, even though people say "it is easy". Try reading multiple files in ISO-8859-1, UTF-8, and MacRoman. Try to combine them, and then write to disk again. Code becomes messy when you try to deal with it. I still haven't found a clean way to do it properly.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 20:58:47 »

I tried switching from various vi clones (including Vim) to various versions of emacs several times, but always came back to vi.

emacs was too clunky, commands too awkward, far too steep learning curve.  I can't remember how I learned vi, but I seem to recall always liking simple editors like that.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:21:39 »

I tried switching from various vi clones (including Vim) to various versions of emacs several times, but always came back to vi.

emacs was too clunky, commands too awkward, far too steep learning curve.  I can't remember how I learned vi, but I seem to recall always liking simple editors like that.

Yeah, I have the same experience. But then, in the beginning with vim I was like "where is the just type stuff in mode gone? why doesn't text appear?" So I would be up to a period of not knowing what to do until I do. But so far, I couldn't get past that point.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 20:58:57 »

Yeah, I have the same experience. But then, in the beginning with vim I was like "where is the just type stuff in mode gone? why doesn't text appear?" So I would be up to a period of not knowing what to do until I do. But so far, I couldn't get past that point.

I've used a lot of odd editors over the years, including TDP, sol and ne.

sol had a feature where you could type a double-quote (iirc) and it would copy the character on the line above the cursor into the current line.  Hours (well, many minutes) were spent in idle contemplation with the " key presed down copying character after character, line after line.

I have not found another editor with the same command ...

... until today, where I accidentally pressed some keys in Eclipse and it copied the current line, which is close enough.

Turns out it was Option-Command-down arrow (on Mac).

Spent a good few minutes copying lines and giggline :D

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 17:36:25 »

sol had a feature where you could type a double-quote (iirc) and it would copy the character on the line above the cursor into the current line.  Hours (well, many minutes) were spent in idle contemplation with the " key presed down copying character after character, line after line.

... until today, where I accidentally pressed some keys in Eclipse and it copied the current line, which is close enough.

I guess you could do that in vim or emacs. Get cursor position, get character at that line from line above, and paste character on current line.

But really.. what is the purpose of literally copying one character? It is an interesting feature... I've never heard such a thing.

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 19:24:34 »
I'd assume you hold down the "copy key" and it would repeat parts of the above line until you released it.

Selective copy from previous line. (I've never seen it either.)
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 20:48:08 »

I guess you could do that in vim or emacs. Get cursor position, get character at that line from line above, and paste character on current line.

But really.. what is the purpose of literally copying one character? It is an interesting feature... I've never heard such a thing.

Not copy/paste - that requires two operations and moving the cursor around between.  This is just one keypress (well, a combination of 3 keys pressed at the same time).

I did it again today twice, but deliberately this time.

Strange how useful that is.

Offline Prothrin

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 05:04:25 »
Sublime Text for sure. VS Code, Atom, and Brackets are also good alternatives.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 09:59:37 »
Did you guys (at least for those who know how to type without looking at the keyboard, which I take is all of you but here it's a requirement: you cannot use that feature without touch-typing) ever seen vim's "easy motion" or emacs' "ace-jump-mode" or "avy" in action?

What if I tell you it's the biggest single efficiency boost you'll ever get for "moving the cursor around" and "jumping to a character visually on screen"?

You can basically jump to any visible character on screen in "shortcut + 2 or 3 keypress": shortcut to invoke "easy motion" or "ace-jump/avy" (or the equivalent in your editor), keypress the character you want to jump to do, then either one or two keypresses depending on how many times that character appears on screen.

It's the one shortcut I use the most. I use it all the time. Nothing beats that, nothing comes even close to it.

I never ever demo'ed in real-life to someone who then didn't make the switch:

The only thing to remember is "keep you eyes looking at where you want to move the cursor to".  Two minutes explanation/demo from an Emacs guru:

P.S: as it is the most efficient way of moving the cursor around on screen, it was of course invented by some vim user ; )
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 October 2017, 10:02:21 by TacticalCoder »
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline iri

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 05:45:21 »
Newest versions of easy-motion require the user to press Leader key twice :(

-Ray Bradbury

Offline joey

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 06:09:39 »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 06:54:31 »
Did you guys (at least for those who know how to type without looking at the keyboard, which I take is all of you but here it's a requirement: you cannot use that feature without touch-typing) ever seen vim's "easy motion" or emacs' "ace-jump-mode" or "avy" in action?

What if I tell you it's the biggest single efficiency boost you'll ever get for "moving the cursor around" and "jumping to a character visually on screen"?

You can basically jump to any visible character on screen in "shortcut + 2 or 3 keypress": shortcut to invoke "easy motion" or "ace-jump/avy" (or the equivalent in your editor), keypress the character you want to jump to do, then either one or two keypresses depending on how many times that character appears on screen.

It's the one shortcut I use the most. I use it all the time. Nothing beats that, nothing comes even close to it.

The only thing to remember is "keep you eyes looking at where you want to move the cursor to".  Two minutes explanation/demo from an Emacs guru:

P.S: as it is the most efficient way of moving the cursor around on screen, it was of course invented by some vim user ; )

I have tried to get used to it, but it doesn't work for me. Because the key you have to press changes everytime, as it uses the letters of next words / paragraphs.

It would be better if there was a plugin that allows you to go down/up 10..50%...70%, with predetermined keys, and then a visual indication where it would bring you, perhaps attached to beginnings of words / sentences / paragraphs / code blocks.

Offline iri

« Reply #131 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 16:08:16 »

I have tried to get used to it, but it doesn't work for me. Because the key you have to press changes everytime, as it uses the letters of next words / paragraphs.

It would be better if there was a plugin that allows you to go down/up 10..50%...70%, with predetermined keys, and then a visual indication where it would bring you, perhaps attached to beginnings of words / sentences / paragraphs / code blocks.
H L M

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 06:11:35 »

H L M

Wass sagen Sie?

Offline iri

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 06:40:41 »
Ctrl+d - move down half a page
Ctrl+u - move up half a page
H - Jump to the top of the screen.
M - Jump to the middle of the screen.
L - Jump to the bottom of the screen.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #134 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 07:08:47 »
I have noticed that page up/page down behaviour differs a lot between text-mode editors, and sometimes between GUI-based editors as well.

On þe olde Amiga, the style guide mandated that the cursor would first jump to the top/bottom of the screen (unless already there) and then scroll a page on a second press -- you have the functionality of H and L in vi but not the same behaviour.
Most GUI-based editors on Windows (and now on Unix/Linux) scroll the window while keeping the cursor position on the same screen position.

Emacs has the weirdest behaviour: if you press Page Down, the window scrolls down and the cursor is moved to the top, but if you then press Page Up, the window scrolls one page up (minus one line) but the cursor is at the bottom: it stayed put on the same line! In other words, page up/down moves the window and the cursor follows instead of the other way around.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 October 2017, 07:11:42 by Findecanor »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 07:11:15 »
Ctrl+d - move down half a page
Ctrl+u - move up half a page
H - Jump to the top of the screen.
M - Jump to the middle of the screen.
L - Jump to the bottom of the screen.

Oh yeah, true.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 07:12:32 »
I have noticed that page up/page down behaviour differs a lot between text-mode editors, and sometimes between GUI-based editors as well.

On þe olde Amiga, the style guide mandated that the cursor would first jump to the top/bottom of the screen (unless already there) and then scroll a page on a second press -- you have the functionality of H and L in vi but not the same behaviour.
Most GUI-based editors on Windows (and now on Unix/Linux) scroll the window while keeping the cursor position on the same screen position.
Emacs has the weirdest behaviour: if you press Page Down, the window scrolls down and the cursor is moved to the top, but if you then press Page Up, the window scrolls one page up but the cursor says put on the same line!

In vim, I configured it so that the cursor will stay put 10 lines before begin/end of the current viewport, so that the next 10 lines are always the last 10 lines, so that I know where I am in the text.

Some editors literally scroll a whole viewport down/above, which is confusing for me.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 13:48:29 »
Some editors literally scroll a whole viewport down/above, which is confusing for me.
I'm sorry, I omitted that most editors scroll at least one line less than a whole viewport. Sometimes, the "top of the viewport" is one or more lines down and if you then press up the cursor will not reach the top of the viewport unless it is at the top of the document. But as many as 10 lines is a bit unusual...

There are some rare programs that when you jump a "page" (which is smaller than a full page), draws a line indicating where the viewport's border was before the jump. But the line does not remain - it fades away after a second or two.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:54:34 »
I use BBEdit on Mac now since TextWrangler was discontinued.

BBEdit 12 was recently released, with a default dark theme.

I kinda like dark themes, so this sits well with me.

Offline JohanAR

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 03:45:22 »
I use vim because I like to keep my hands on the home row. I don't think there's a huge difference in ergonomy or productivity compared to moving one hand between the keyboard and mouse all the time but it feels more relaxing not being forced to. In addition i use i3 with movement remapped to hjkl, VimiumFF for Firefox, Vrapper for Eclipse and zsh with vim bindings so my most used applications are controlled in an (almost) uniform way. I also use less a lot and that also has vim-like controls.

More precisely it's neovim because I read that it was better than regular vim and I use SpaceVim to get lots of nice plugins and stuff without having to dig too deep into that myself

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 14:29:04 »
I'm sorry, I omitted that most editors scroll at least one line less than a whole viewport. Sometimes, the "top of the viewport" is one or more lines down and if you then press up the cursor will not reach the top of the viewport unless it is at the top of the document. But as many as 10 lines is a bit unusual...

There are some rare programs that when you jump a "page" (which is smaller than a full page), draws a line indicating where the viewport's border was before the jump. But the line does not remain - it fades away after a second or two.

Such a line would be great to have in vim. mmm...

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 14:29:35 »

I used bbedit on macos 7/8. Aahh.. the nostalgia.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 14:32:13 »
I use vim because I like to keep my hands on the home row. I don't think there's a huge difference in ergonomy or productivity compared to moving one hand between the keyboard and mouse all the time but it feels more relaxing not being forced to. In addition i use i3 with movement remapped to hjkl, VimiumFF for Firefox, Vrapper for Eclipse and zsh with vim bindings so my most used applications are controlled in an (almost) uniform way. I also use less a lot and that also has vim-like controls.

More precisely it's neovim because I read that it was better than regular vim and I use SpaceVim to get lots of nice plugins and stuff without having to dig too deep into that myself

Neovim is meant as a re-implementation fork of the "standard" implementation of vim by Bram Moolenaar, which the major aims to (1) ensure continuity when Bram gets hit by a bus, (2) get rid of old bloat, like "spaghetti code" to have support for legacy platforms like the Amiga, and (3) to allow concurrent and non-blocking plugins via a new messaging platform.

Neovim is not feature-complete AFAIK, but is getting there rather quickly. There are already some interesting plugins for it.

What I hope that neovim will gain in the future is a proper REPL for things like latex, R, python, and lisp.

EDIT: neovim is a fork, not a re-implementation.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 October 2017, 14:39:24 by iLLucionist »

Offline joey

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 14:37:00 »
neovim is not a re-implementation. It is a fork.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 14:39:52 »
neovim is not a re-implementation. It is a fork.

Oh yeah, I updated it. Thanks. I really thought they started from ground up, but the project also explicitly mentions "major refactoring".

Offline JohanAR

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 15:11:29 »
Neovim is meant as a re-implementation fork of the "standard" implementation of vim by Bram Moolenaar, which the major aims to (1) ensure continuity when Bram gets hit by a bus, (2) get rid of old bloat, like "spaghetti code" to have support for legacy platforms like the Amiga, and (3) to allow concurrent and non-blocking plugins via a new messaging platform.

Neovim is not feature-complete AFAIK, but is getting there rather quickly. There are already some interesting plugins for it.

What I hope that neovim will gain in the future is a proper REPL for things like latex, R, python, and lisp.

(2) and (3) is what I read and it sounded like an improvement to me, though I've also heard good things about Vim 8.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 15:15:34 »

(2) and (3) is what I read and it sounded like an improvement to me, though I've also heard good things about Vim 8.

I use vim 8, not neovim. I had some plugins break for me occassionally, so unless neovim is 100% parity with "real vim", I am not switching. Too much work to do to tolerate occassional hiccups.

I did play with neovim, and it really feels more responsive and fast. Even though original vim already feels fast, but not when you load it with plugins in my experience.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 20:52:10 »

That's how it works and it's because you very probably didn't do it correctly when you tried it:  the trick is to keep your eyes precisely on the letter you want to jump to, say a 't'. Then you invoke ace-jump/avy/easymotion and you hit 't', all the while looking precisely at the 't' you want to go to. Then you immediately type the letter that appears (temporarily) where the 't' was!

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #148 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 21:01:00 »

Interesting. The Amiga explanation is great too (oh I miss those Amiga days).

Of course in Emacs everything is configurable so any behavior can be configured. For example there's even a "smooth scrolling" option that scrolls like some old editors used to do (don't remember which one but Sublime scrolls like that): basically like when you scroll up and down in a webpage... Instead of "jumping at once", the thing "scrolls": complete with progressive acceleration and deceleration. And it's not just a fake smooth-scrolling using line by line scrolling: it's moving vertically by "pixels", not whole lines. In Emacs the package is called sublimity and sublimity-scroll.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 October 2017, 21:09:03 by TacticalCoder »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 04:15:39 »

That's how it works and it's because you very probably didn't do it correctly when you tried it:  the trick is to keep your eyes precisely on the letter you want to jump to, say a 't'. Then you invoke ace-jump/avy/easymotion and you hit 't', all the while looking precisely at the 't' you want to go to. Then you immediately type the letter that appears (temporarily) where the 't' was!

Hmm.. perhaps that would work better.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 04:18:41 »

Interesting. The Amiga explanation is great too (oh I miss those Amiga days).

Of course in Emacs everything is configurable so any behavior can be configured. For example there's even a "smooth scrolling" option that scrolls like some old editors used to do (don't remember which one but Sublime scrolls like that): basically like when you scroll up and down in a webpage... Instead of "jumping at once", the thing "scrolls": complete with progressive acceleration and deceleration. And it's not just a fake smooth-scrolling using line by line scrolling: it's moving vertically by "pixels", not whole lines. In Emacs the package is called sublimity and sublimity-scroll.

See.. that's what I mean. Imagine the possibilities with emacs. And the configurability. Finally I could have open all temp buffers in or below the same window as opposed to at the bottom of the whole application window. I would be sooo happy if that was possible.

I like to do everything in and around the window I am looking at, which prevents me moving my covert focus with my eyes all the time.

Let's say I want to open another file (vim CtrlP). I create new window first, then in that window I want to load a file into a buffer and show it in that window. So I want to have fuzzy completing in that window or split up the same window area in 2/3 content and 1/3 for the temp buffer to show the fuzzy completion.

Likewise, when I do linting, I want the suggestions around the current window where I am already looking. Vim just has 1 place for temp buffer for ALL open buffers, which is below and above the statusbar / commandline. It can get very confusing if you have a large screen and 6 windows open.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 20:52:50 »

I used bbedit on macos 7/8. Aahh.. the nostalgia.

I didn't know it has been around for that long!

When I switched to Mac at home and eventually at work I was looking for a (free) text editor similar to ConTEXT under Windows.  TextWrangler by the same company as BBEdit was the result.  Now that has been mothballed so I switched to BBEdit.

But still use vim in a terminal because it starts quicker and I can do quite a few things quicker with vim shortcuts than the sometimes-abominable cmd-opt-shift-ctrl key combinations.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 22:08:49 »
This thread was made for me. I know its been said before but... emacs 100%.  I could go on about its amazing uses, but instead I'll sum up my editors in one photo.

Everyone I work with thinks I'm nuts, and should switch to Sublime to net beans/jet brains/or whatever...  but I couldn't imagine developing outside of my emacs config.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Altis

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 15:00:56 »
This thread was made for me. I know its been said before but... emacs 100%.  I could go on about its amazing uses, but instead I'll sum up my editors in one photo.

Show Image

Everyone I work with thinks I'm nuts, and should switch to Sublime to net beans/jet brains/or whatever...  but I couldn't imagine developing outside of my emacs config.

The thing that keeps me away from emacs, speaking as a novice, is that it seems like it's both complicated to learn and requires a lot of setup to make it great (though that requires learning first).
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 15:08:06 »

Show Image

The thing that keeps me away from emacs, speaking as a novice, is that it seems like it's both complicated to learn and requires a lot of setup to make it great (though that requires learning first).

I would call myself a *nix ricer, so the ability to write list to customize my editor really enticed me. I started with a tiny config, taking my few preferences into consideration. But, over the years, my config has grown and grown. The reason I recommend it to folks is that it gives you the ability to start small and slow. Sure there are a few things you have to learn; but, believe it or not, there was a time in your life where you had to learn C-c and C-v also. I wouldn't say that basic usage has a steep learning curve; instead I would say that it has a steep re-learning curve. For a lot of people that's undesirable.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 14:11:58 »

Show Image

so VIM is still the best text editor?   ;)

Offline iri

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 16:58:17 »

Show Image

Of course.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 17:08:18 »

Show Image

Of course.

I take "basic text editor" to mean "on the fly edits in a remote environment". I would say that emacs is beyond a basic editor. But yeah, vim is hot for some good ole' config tweaks imo.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 19:59:53 »

Show Image

Of course.

I take "basic text editor" to mean "on the fly edits in a remote environment". I would say that emacs is beyond a basic editor. But yeah, vim is hot for some good ole' config tweaks imo.

Emacs can still be used as a basic text editor.

But Vim is usually installed on more out-of-the-box systems than emacs.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #159 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 13:15:41 »
I used a lot of text editors over time, including EditPad Lite, GVim and Notepad++. As I am currently owning a couple of Unix, BSD and Windows machines and one Linux laptop, I try to keep the overhead low though, so I have mostly settled to what works everywhere:

• For development, I surely prefer GNU Emacs. I have adjusted it to my needs over the past few years and it is what I would call the perfect IDE now.
  • For note-taking, I usually use either acme2k or Notepad (resp. whatever the current system offers). I'm gradually replacing the latter by micro though.

There is nothing else to do with a text editor for me.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline haanuman

« Reply #160 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 12:15:27 »
Mostly Notepad++

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 11:56:57 »
The text editor that i use is notepad.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:17:55 »
Recently added nerdtree to the vim folder.  I might keep this one around for a while--referencing directory structures at a glance is a nice feature

• actually, this guy
« Reply #163 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:19:43 »
Life is too short for Vim.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:31:54 »
Vim: It's like multiple space themed Lego sets blended into one mega set, but it's actually a basic text editor that can sometimes be a fully fledged IDE.

Instead of ordering a pizza you take a few chemistry classes to make the perfect ingredients.  Sometimes things blow up.  It's fun.

Offline vegs

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 04:36:11 »
Vim and Sublime :thumb:
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 11:20:15 »
I use BBSubVIMe++ :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 20:03:30 »
I've been evaluating Sublime Text recently (on macOS).

It seems reasonable, but suffers the two issues that most modern editors have - an overly complex multi-step find dialog, and moving to the start of the next word actually moves to the end of the current word.

The first issue is an inconvenience, the second one throws out my auto-pilot code navigation techniques nearly every time.

Often I just open iTerm2 and start vim instead.

One day I might get around to writing my own editor.  Again.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 11:28:43 »
I've been evaluating Sublime Text recently (on macOS).

It seems reasonable, but suffers the two issues that most modern editors have - an overly complex multi-step find dialog, and moving to the start of the next word actually moves to the end of the current word.

The first issue is an inconvenience, the second one throws out my auto-pilot code navigation techniques nearly every time.

Often I just open iTerm2 and start vim instead.

One day I might get around to writing my own editor.  Again.

Have you tried the Vintage Mode plugin for Sublime? It gives you vi commands and movement. I've only used it a little bit, but worked fairly well when I tried.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 11:32:54 »
Spacemacs. Been using it for about a year now. I use it for all my note-taking for classes using Org mode, and then I used it for a bit during my Python class. It just werks.

Offline iri

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 17:21:18 »
try/catch in imports? what the ****

-Ray Bradbury

• actually, this guy
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 17:22:14 »
Just Pythoneers being Pythoneers.

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #172 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 18:39:30 »
Visual Studio Code these days, though I've enjoyed using Sublime Text in the past.

Been getting back to learning to code and all and taking some classes I've been in more seriously.
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline Flame

« Reply #173 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 12:21:15 »
BBEdit on Mac & Notepad++ on Windows. I use these because they are extremely easy to use and to modify code on. They have all the features I require in a text editor as well!

Offline voight-kampff

« Reply #174 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 12:53:05 »
I use textmate. It is not opensource, but it is fast.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 20:58:02 »
try/catch in imports? what the ****

Python 2/3 compatibility trick - try to import the Python 3 library.  if that fails, go for the Python 2 version.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 21:39:05 »
As a long time Emacs user.... it pains me to say this, but I've fallen for the JetBrains suite (more specifically GoLand) with Vim bindings. It's feature rich but isn't in your face. It works out of the box, but lets me tweak. It's the Apple of IDEs... and I like it. They've been around a while, so I may be way behind the curve.

Offline iri

« Reply #177 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 15:43:25 »
JetBrains are much better than Apple.

-Ray Bradbury

• actually, this guy
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 15:45:24 »
Show me the JetBrains smartphone.

Offline iri

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 15:50:57 »
I can show you my arse.

-Ray Bradbury

• actually, this guy
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 15:52:13 »
That's probably roughly similar to a hypothetical JetBrains smartphone. Including the smell.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #181 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 21:59:14 »
I can show you my arse.

+1 for spelling it "arse" and not "ass" :D

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 11:02:56 »
Sublime user here with MANY custom packages and options.

Custom fonts : Profont or Firacode (with ligatures now supported)
Color highlighter
Markdown preview synchronised with the browser
Custom extension icon on the sidebar
Linters
Custom theme made with some theme editor package
Custom keymap…

I can’t find another editor fast and customisable as Sublime for « my uses ».

Also my settings are versionned here :
https://framagit.org/4sStylZ/SublimeText3Settings

So I reinstal a desktop, I clone my settings and automaticly all the packages reinstall themselves like robots who builds some others robots…
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 11:53:13 »
emacs and eclipse   :cool:
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline JP

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 15:08:10 »
I use vi while walking uphill, both ways in the snow.  :thumb:
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 15:15:23 »
Everytime I use Nano to enable wifi for a new system I leave behind at least one :wq

Sometimes echo is not enough.  Am now broken

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 22:02:23 »
Losing affection for Sublime Text due to inconsistent text selection.

If I try to select a line, sometimes it selects only up to the last character instead of the whole line (move cursor to beginning of line, hold Shift, press down arrow - should select the whole line).

Also sometimes it selects, for an unknown reason, a whole block of text instead of one line.

Plus it indents things all over the place when I do not want it to.

And the find mechanism is a pain sometimes - the number of times I search for something, look in the code where the text was found (and is highlighted) and start typing, assuming the cursor is where the highlighted text is, but no, the cursor is still in the find field, so half the time the editor suddenly jumps somewhere else where it found whatever I had started typing.

Also why do most modern text editors move to the end of the current word instead of the beginning of the next word when you ctrl-rightarrow (or opt-right arrow on Mac)?  I usually end up ctrl-rightarrow (or opt-rightarrow) again, then ctrl/opt-leftarrow to go back where I wanted, which only works as expected sometimes due to varying interpretation of what constitutes a "word".

Grrr.

Offline JP

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 07:04:11 »
Actually I like nano for quick config changes but 95% of the time I am in Windows. I really like VS Code and still use Notepad++ for certain things out of habit. I even use regular MS notepad still for taking notes although I should really be using Onenote for that kind of stuff.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ollir_

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 13:14:06 »
Depends a little on what I'm doing but it's one of

• Vim (gvim)
  • VSCode (with VsVim)
  • Emacs (with evil)

Vim is great for fast little edits - config files etc. I used it for programming, but I've mostly switched to VSCode in that front now, the editor has become quite pleasant to work with and it 'just works' most of the time. For Haskell I still prefer Emacs though.