Author Topic: [IC] DSA Reef  (Read 11488 times)

Offline holtenc

[IC] DSA Reef
« on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 13:28:24 »
The set name is still a WIP.

Like my previous keysets, first priority is on 40% boards but this time I want to provide compatibility all the way up to full size 104 key boards.

So I propose offering a base kit that covers 40% and compatibility kit that provides the rest. See the render below.

I would like to hear feedback on whether or no I left anything out and especially on the accent colors. I would like to provide both but I can see how some might not want to pay for that.

Offline Jacob4341

Re: [IC] DSA Reef
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 13:30:22 »
TAKE MY MONEY PLEASE I'M IN FOR ONE FOR SURE

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 13:30:41 »
This and the Jelly Coral Reef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 14:08:05 »
DSA Reef

Came here for reefer ='[

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 15:40:22 »
DSA Reef

Came here for reefer ='[

Lolz

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 15:47:54 »
Would it be possible in any way to add iso compatibility?

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 16:26:22 »
Looks great bud!  :thumb:

Offline holtenc

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 20:54:51 »
TAKE MY MONEY PLEASE I'M IN FOR ONE FOR SURE

:thumb:

Looks great bud!  :thumb:

thanks!

maybe. what is ISO, like 5 extra keys?

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 23:01:56 »

maybe. what is ISO, like 5 extra keys?
[/quote]

Pretty much :-P I would really like that 👌

Offline corygrapher

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 23:18:40 »
Money's ready for this :D :D

Offline Starston3

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 09:28:30 »
I want!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 09:31:11 »
I like it a lot.  This colorway is why I purchased GMK Aero even though I know most people hate it.  Yes, I realize the colors are different here.

The blue on orange and coral sure is hard to see.  What about using that orange/yellow for the legends on the coral color and vice-versa?  That way you get both the orange/yellow and the coral in accents.  Plus it brings in more contrast.

I mixed Aero and Nautilus to get closer to something like reef (reverse reef)  ^-^

186833-0

I would be on board for something more perfected color-wise.

« Last Edit: Fri, 19 January 2018, 09:34:07 by reececonrad »

Offline holtenc

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 12:34:00 »
I like it a lot.  This colorway is why I purchased GMK Aero even though I know most people hate it.  Yes, I realize the colors are different here.

The blue on orange and coral sure is hard to see.  What about using that orange/yellow for the legends on the coral color and vice-versa?  That way you get both the orange/yellow and the coral in accents.  Plus it brings in more contrast.

I mixed Aero and Nautilus to get closer to something like reef (reverse reef)  ^-^

I would be on board for something more perfected color-wise.

Thank you for the input. Initially I had the mod legend color to be the same as the accent as you suggested, but after some feedback I think it looked a little busy and loud. But not bad looking.

I know in the render the legend on the accent is a little hard to see, but I think that's just the render. I had the same issue on my bounty hunter set: HERE. There you can see some pics of the set generated by the same render engine and then a real-life image of the set. IRL the legend isn't washed out at all.

another reason for not having accent colored legends on the mods is to avoid looking too much like GMK nautilus

Offline holtenc

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 12:38:43 »
Money's ready for this :D :D

This set is really nice. I don't really like DSA that much but this colorway really captures the feeling of the ocean and coral reefs really well.

I want!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline prelude46

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 13:41:33 »
Ohhhh interested!

Offline mike-y

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 17:23:01 »
very nice, definitely interested.

Offline prod

[IC] DSA Reef
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 18:11:31 »
like it,btw I love dsa hw and dsa bh bought from your website so much.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 January 2018, 09:33:17 by prod »
Chicory|YDPv2(BLUP)|BLE40|Daisy|YDPM|YD40w|Golbat

Offline holtenc

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 20 January 2018, 19:21:57 »
like it,btw I love dsa hw and dsa hb bought from your website so much.

awesome man. I'm so glad you like them both so much. hopefully I can get this set off the ground as well.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 00:13:35 »
Another fine set.  :thumb:

Offline tigerali

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 13:46:22 »
Like it a lot. Would get it for my Preonic.

Offline Al41

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 19:36:41 »
I would be in for a set. I love both of the accent colors as well as the overall color combo. Looks great.

Offline mago

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 21:09:16 »
Liking the look  :thumb:

Offline DMacKB

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 00:23:02 »
I really like the colour way! I’d love bigger legends though.

Offline tigerali

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:44:30 »
Any news on this set?

Offline dimo

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 13:30:20 »
Is this dead? this seemed like a good third set after bounty hunter and honeywell and I just remembered about it

Offline holtenc

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 12:02:21 »
Is this dead? this seemed like a good third set after bounty hunter and honeywell and I just remembered about it

Any news on this set?

Sorry guys, I don't frequent GH much and it seems I don't have message notifications turned on.

This isn't necessarily dead. The quote SP gave me was too high for my tastes. IIRC it would have cost over $150 for end users to purchase both sets. I still have the colorway on the back burner while I work on a couple hardware projects like the Prime_O and Prime_M Light. Plus DSA Just Beige should be nearing the end of production very soon. Once things calm down a bit I'll re-approach some color ways I've been toying around with (including this one) and see what I can come up with as far as reasonable pricing and decent compatibility.

Offline azulyf

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 16:01:18 »

Any news on this set?

Sorry guys, I don't frequent GH much and it seems I don't have message notifications turned on.

This isn't necessarily dead. The quote SP gave me was too high for my tastes. IIRC it would have cost over $150 for end users to purchase both sets. I still have the colorway on the back burner while I work on a couple hardware projects like the Prime_O and Prime_M Light. Plus DSA Just Beige should be nearing the end of production very soon. Once things calm down a bit I'll re-approach some color ways I've been toying around with (including this one) and see what I can come up with as far as reasonable pricing and decent compatibility.
Prime_M Light... Any detail?

Offline holtenc

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 16:51:04 »

Prime_M Light... Any detail?

So the entire first batch of Prime_M PCBs had an error. They are still usable with a simple and small modification but I didn't feel it was right to include these modified PCBs with a $135 kit so I corrected the error and ordered another batch. Well that left me with 60 or so PCBs with no home so I've decided to produce the Prime_M Light. It will be a low cost, low profile version of the Prime_M that consists of a laser cut stainless steel  switch plate, 3D printed middle/spacer, and a 3mm stainless steel base with press fit standoffs. Of course all the error PCBs will be 110% tested to be fully working before any kits ship. At least that's the plan. I hope to get manufacturing cost details next week. The press fit standoffs should be new and novel as I don't think I've seen them used before in a keyboard kit. They should make for a solid and easy to assemble sandwich style kit.

Here's a link to a album of 3D CAD shots plus a freshly 3D printed prototype.  https://imgur.com/a/sxU5A8w

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 22:25:39 »
That kit sounds pretty cool.  Press fit should work out nicely.   

Where can Inget more info about DSA Just Beige?   Is it different from GQN?

Offline holtenc

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 23:26:55 »
That kit sounds pretty cool.  Press fit should work out nicely.   

Where can Inget more info about DSA Just Beige?   Is it different from GQN?

Thanks. You can see more info here https://www.primekb.com/collections/keysets/products/dsa-just-beige-coming-april-2018

Offline Al41

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 15:21:23 »
Glad to hear this isn't dead. I'm still a fan, love the colors.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 21:55:23 »
Nice, I love your 40/45% sets. After letting go of all my MKB stuff, I’m back w/ that said, I’ll be in contact w/ you for a set or two. Love this new set; also, did you ever get back to work on your Jango Fett set? Also, I have a set that I’d like to see if you’d be interested in producing if you like it . I will PM you either tonight or some time tomorrow.

Offline holtenc

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 20:58:06 »
Nice, I love your 40/45% sets. After letting go of all my MKB stuff, I’m back w/ that said, I’ll be in contact w/ you for a set or two. Love this new set; also, did you ever get back to work on your Jango Fett set? Also, I have a set that I’d like to see if you’d be interested in producing if you like it . I will PM you either tonight or some time tomorrow.

Thanks! Glad you're getting back in the MK game  :thumb: 

I don't know if this set will get produced or not and I never did any more work on the Jango Fett set. DSA Just Beige hasn't really done all that well despite pricing it as cheaply as I possibly can so I'm a bit discouraged with keycap sets lately. Mostly my own fault as I'm too impatient for IC and GB and generally just skip all that and produce sets I like on my own after a very half-assed IC. I have several other color ways that I like personally but haven't gotten around to IC for them. I think if I do any more sets in the future it will have to be done via a GB as they aren't cheap and paying out of pocket for 100 sets that don't sell hurts  :)).

All that said... I'm more than happy to check out a set you have in mind! I've been thinking of getting into GB host/proxy stuff.

oh and GH really isn't the best place to get in touch with me. I don't check it very often and frankly I'm lucky I saw this post. For some reason GH doesn't email me for posts in my threads. reddit or discord would be better. /u/holtenc for reddit and holtenc#6164 for discord.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 08:46:16 »
Thanks