Author Topic: New, but already a lost cause.  (Read 2543 times)

Offline abram

• Design Portfolio
New, but already a lost cause.
« on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 00:35:12 »
Hey everyone!

I find the whole mechanical keyboard community to be utterly fascinating. But also welcoming, enthusiastic, passionate and creative. I'm thrilled to be a part of something so intriguing and unique. I've had something of a nagging curiosity for some time regarding MKs but after a friend was so kind (evil) as to give me my first board a while back (a KUL ES-87) I've since gotten incredibly obsessed with these things and I've enjoyed learning about them so much!

At this point I've added a Vortex Race 3, which then lead me eventually to getting a vintage board with an Apple Extended Keyboard II and now most recently I purchased a used HHKB Pro 2 to try out the compact form factor (in fact, I'm presently writing this post on the HHKB).

I'm just eager to participate and learn from you all and maybe even get into custom builds somewhere down the road if I want to get really lost in this hobby of ours.

Anyways I'm happy to be here and eager to learn more!
- Abram

HHKB | Race 3 | M0116 | AEK II

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: New, but already a lost cause.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 19:45:31 »
We need more SoCal members!  Welcome!  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline abram

• Design Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 13:35:46 »
We need more SoCal members!  Welcome!  :)

Ha is it not a thing down here yet? I'm spreading the interest amongst my coworkers. There's 2/12 of us with MKs currently and a whole lot of jealous eyes on our desks and complaints about their apple keyboards :).

I know the HHKB isn't technically a Mechanical Keyboard but that being my latest excursion, it's been rather interesting to use and work with. Hype aside, it's actually a really enjoyable typing experience when I just need to work on writing. Doing design work I tend to need my arrow keys though so I use the KUL at the office.
- Abram

HHKB | Race 3 | M0116 | AEK II

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 06:08:54 »
I know the HHKB isn't technically a Mechanical Keyboard but that being my latest excursion, it's been rather interesting to use and work with.

I tried everything and still have quite the keyboard collection (Cherry MX-5000, industrial Model M, ****load of Model Ms, some ALPS based prototype, ...) and after years of working with Model Ms and not liking other keyboards, I discovered the HHKB's Topre switch and never went back. It's funny because Model Ms and Topre are completely different: it took that to keep me out of my beloved Ms. I've got three HHKB: one Pro 2 (which I don't use anymore) and two Pro JP. I use the japanese for the shorter spacebars, which allows for easier reach with the thumbs of the modifiers (and there are a lot of modifiers on japanese keyboards, so although I use it in QWERTY mode I get to have HYPER and SUPER modifiers, for example).

I'd switch for a split HHKB Pro JP (if it had the exact same layout, but just split) but that's basically it. I found my "endgame" a few years ago and must admit I kinda stopped obsessing over keyboards as much as before. I still have all my keyboards, some fancy keycaps etc. but I hang out less here.

Still checking in once in a while to say hi to newcomers and old chaps as well : )
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)