Author Topic: [IC] Boardwalk Ortholinear 60% PCB  (Read 21359 times)

Offline shensmobile

[IC] Boardwalk Ortholinear 60% PCB
« on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 18:05:49 »
Hi there everyone!  I'm not much of a GH user, sticking to Reddit mostly, but I will admit that I love visiting GH for all the great ideas that come out of the IC section.  My initial IC was put up on Reddit to gauge interest in a personal project I was working on, and the results were really positive, enough for me to try to offer this to more people.  I think I'm 90% of the way to a final design, but I'd like to get some more feedback before I settle on anything.  I will be keeping this post updated with the current state of the project so people following along can see where I'm at!

Background/History
More

Features:
  • 5x14 Ortholinear grid
  • Fits standard 60% cases with no case mods
  • USB-C
  • Inspired by the Atomic keyboard - Support for both true ortholinear grid and arrow cluster layout
  • Maximum keycap compatibility using Ergodox mods
  • Designed to be affordable
  • Powered by QMK

Gallery
More
202824-0
202826-1
202828-2
202830-3
202832-4

Layouts

207451-5

Album of some sample layouts: https://imgur.com/a/wGKjWd9

Plates

The default plates being offered will be a standard GH60 plate, as well as a plate that fits into the KPRepublic XD60 cases.  They will be offered in stainless steel and brass, and they will be bead blasted to remove imperfections from manufacturing and shipping.  A powder coat option will also be available for a charge.  After deliberation with beta-testers and people who have expressed interest, I opted to go with a single universal plate at the cost of losing 1 layout option.

For this GB, I will also design custom plates (for a minor charge) for your top-mounted 60% case if you can supply me with the DXF of your original plate. I will not make a plate if the only thing you can supply me is measurements you made with a ruler or a picture of the plate. My machinist is offering to cut these one-off plates with no additional setup charge because of the volumes that I will be ordering in.

Cases

The Ergo60 was originally designed as a low cost ortho solution with maximum compatibility in mind. That has not changed with the Boardwalk, so this GB will primarily focused on plates and PCB's. However, there are compromises that had to be made (https://imgur.com/a/eZouu9w) to fit into a normal GH60 case.

For those who want a more simple drop-in solution, Alex_at_panc is working on a special version of his Campine mk3 case that will have unique stand off positions for the Boardwalk PCB. This will allow it to have great rigidity while being simple to assemble.

Pricing/Buying the Boardwalk

$30 for Stainless Steel plate
$50 for Brass plate
$40 for PCB
$10 for design charge/sorting/logistics of a custom plate for your top-mounted case.

Alex_at_panc will be my US proxy for the Boardwalk and I will ship directly to Canadians. I'm hoping that this arrangement will bring down the costs. After this GB, Alex will continue stocking plates, PCBs, and cases as regular stock, but at a different price point.

GROUP BUY IS NOW OPEN!!

http://www.panc.co/boardwalk-group-buy.html

Still waiting on an official GH GB page to be approved, but for now, hop on over to Alex' site to join!

Feedback

If anyone would like to provide feedback, I will regularly check this post and answer any questions that come up.  I also have this survey: https://goo.gl/forms/wBmCiHgYZPtZRtG32

The survey gives me nice visual feedback about which layout people like, possible options for the plate, etc.

To-dos:

• Build up the USB-C Prototypes to confirm USB-C functionality (parts arriving this week) DONE
  • Continue contemplating layout options Decided to remove the wide 2u spacebar layout to go back down to 1 universal plate
  • Sort out logistics of offering 5mm plates Not going to due to price concerns, sticking to 1.5mm SS and brass.
  • Decide on 2 plate designs vs 1 universal plate and reduce layout options See above
  • Look into finding EU proxy if there's enough demand Working with mykeyboard.eu!
  • Settle on pricing I have quotes for the PCB and plates, all ready to go.
  • Waiting on brass plate prototypes Samples are in, working with machinist over the missing polishing work
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 November 2018, 17:35:58 by shensmobile »

Offline Parva Ovis

Re: [IC] Boardwalk Ortholinear 60% PCB
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 21:41:31 »
Love the new name! Do you know if the PCB will be compatible with mill-max sockets? That alone would probably push me to buy two or three Boardwalks, if so.

Offline Al41

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 22:27:35 »
Really excited for these. I can see myself picking up a few of them. And a 5mm plate would be awesome but i understand if it's not possible. Keep up the great work, can't wait to see more.  :thumb:

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 22:37:38 »
Love the new name! Do you know if the PCB will be compatible with mill-max sockets? That alone would probably push me to buy two or three Boardwalks, if so.

I have 7305 mill Max sockets that I've been told are compatible that I will be testing this week, but others have installed them successfully!

Offline OkKarma

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 05:12:08 »
EU proxy please!  :)

Offline beekey

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 07:25:40 »
I second the EU-Proxy. Looking forward to it, please make it happen. Otherwise I need to handwire. ;)

Offline mushubanane

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 09:35:58 »
Please EU-proxy ;)

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 14:49:08 »
Oh jeeze, there appears to be quite a bit of demand for an EU proxy!  OK, I will put some more effort into finding the right person :)

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 10:41:48 »
I'm really excited about this PCB and layout!

It's a cool unique project, and I'm honored that Shens came to me to help. All credit for this genius is due to him.

I'll have a prototype built and ready for folks to try out at the DC Meetup on 9/15, so if you'll be in attendance, come over and say high, and feel free to tap away.

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 11:43:05 »
Hi everyone!  Quick update on the status of the project.  We're inching closer and closer to the GB and I'm doing everything I can to make sure it's done right.

• USB-C works!  Tested with both USB-C to USB-A and USB-C to USB-C, it works in all orientations on both ends.  This means, from a schematic perspective, the design is locked down.  I did screw up a tiny thing on the current run of prototypes but that's just because I forgot to re-fill my ground plane.  One more prototype will be made, and this will have all of the final changes and PCB updates, and I will be shipping these out to all my proxies for testing and glamour shots, which is a perfect time to segue into...
  • I have reached out necromanx from mykeyboard.eu to act as my EU proxy.  He came highly recommended by Alex and he has been receptive of acting as a proxy.
  • Update on the plate situation: 5mm plates will likely not happen due to cost concerns.  Plates will only be offered in 1.5mm Stainless Steel and Brass options.  For brass, would people be opposed to polishing it themselves?  The machinist I'm working with only offers fabrication services, no finishing options.  That's why Alex will be doing the bead-blasting for me for the SS plates, but I believe brass needs to be polished to really get that nice sheen from it.
  • I originally went with a white PCB because of the RGB underglow, and that white reflects light more, but I think it looks cheap and ****ty.  The last prototypes came in blue and wow I think it looks pretty damn hot.  Any opposition to running the GB in blue vs white?
  • I'm still thinking through layout options.  I'm happy with the feedback I've gotten, and I was super enthusiastic to add some more options based off of it, but I'm now thinking that it's getting a little too convoluted again.  The frustrating part for me was that adding the wide 2u layout (https://imgur.com/o0gPfWv) required me to go from a single universal plate to 2 plates.  I'm not a huge fan of that change.  I'm still mulling it over, but I might sacrifice that specific layout to go back to having a universal plate again.  Thoughts?

I want to settle on a final layout by the end of the week so I can place (hopefully) the final prototype order.  We're this damn close, I can taste the GB now.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 September 2018, 11:46:13 by shensmobile »

Offline lizardsticks

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 12:19:55 »
Looking forward to when it goes live.

I'm pretty indifferent about the PCB colors so I'd totally fine with a color change to blue

For the outer 2u inner 1u layout, I'd be fine it it wasn't in the final design for the sake of the universal plate.

I'll donate my bad quality photos to the thread for motivation

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 12:58:58 »
I think it's a worthwhile trade-off to sacrifice the one layout for a universal plate. I have no preference between a white and blue color for a PCB.

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 13:19:13 »
Many people chose that they would prefer separate plates in the survey, but I think providing some context is helpful to narrow it down.  I would agree that giving up 1 layout to achieve a viable universal plate is the best decision, but perhaps some people feel really strongly about the wide 2u spacebar option.  I've had at least 2 people request it, which is why I added it, but this will make plate logistics much easier.

Now I just need to figure out how to polish brass.

Offline KorbenDallas

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 13:56:47 »
Still keeping an eye out for this GB! I lean towards the HHKB (7u spacebar) style layout more than any other so a single universal plate would suit me. Also fine with blue pcb, not to particular on color.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 08:58:12 »
will absolutely want to join this

Stuff like this popping up guarantees this keyboard hobby is never ending lol. I want one of these in my collection, maybe even as a daily. Though I need to watch my spending...

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 11:38:22 »
Thanks for all the support guys!

For anyone looking on and are concerned about the universal plate bottom row being unstable, I will be specifying that the cutouts be a bit tighter than normal.  This will allow the bottom row to really bite onto your switches, holding them quite rigid.  My latest text batch of plates work very well with this updated spec and being made of stainless steel.  It's still not perfect, but I do think that the trade-off is worth it.

Also, my machinist is offering to find a brass polisher for the plates.  He's inquiring about costs now, I hope to get an updated quote from him soon.

EDIT:  My machinist got back to me.  If I can order at least 30 brass plates, the polishing charge is very minimal and will likely not affect the final cost.  I've attached a photo of a sample polishing.  I think it looks good enough to be a "stock finish" and you can further polish it if you want afterwards.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 September 2018, 10:14:38 by shensmobile »

Offline Boy_314

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 22:04:52 »
Definitely interested in a brass plate.

Offline beekey

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 00:56:54 »
Brass looks nice, want one. And one steel. :)

Offline Zilleon

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 00:59:27 »
Awesome news about the brass plate, I'll get at least 2!

Offline Dendrobium

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 02:58:02 »
Also, my machinist is offering to find a brass polisher for the plates.  He's inquiring about costs now, I hope to get an updated quote from him soon.

EDIT:  My machinist got back to me.  If I can order at least 30 brass plates, the polishing charge is very minimal and will likely not affect the final cost.  I've attached a photo of a sample polishing.  I think it looks good enough to be a "stock finish" and you can further polish it if you want afterwards.

A brass plate would be great! But I'm concerned about the oxidization issues. Does the brass plate have some clear coating? I had one brass plate from KBDFans, and it got a clear coating on it. And I've never used a brass plate without coating, so I have no idea how bad the oxidization will be.

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 10:46:14 »

A brass plate would be great! But I'm concerned about the oxidization issues. Does the brass plate have some clear coating? I had one brass plate from KBDFans, and it got a clear coating on it. And I've never used a brass plate without coating, so I have no idea how bad the oxidization will be.

The plate will not have a clear coating, which means it will develop a patina.  I can look into coating it myself, or having Alex coat them if his setup would work with brass.  Thanks for the heads up!

I have brass plates on order right now, hoping to get them in the next 2 weeks.  The final PCB's (that will go into GB) should be arriving today, and then I can build and test and confirm that they're ready for the GB.  I also want to vet the brass to make sure that my machinist can cut them nicely.

Unfortunately I will not be ready for the GB on the 18th like I had hoped.  I will opt to push the GB back to October, as I want to make sure that everything is ready/functional before I begin to sell, so that there's no hiccups when I go to order.  I hope that a minor delay won't be a problem!

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 23:23:51 »
No objections to a delay here! Aug/Sept were expensive keyboard months ;)

I'm probably going to pick this up with a brass plate to go with a wooden 60% case I've got coming :D

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 14:02:23 »
203922-0
203924-1

The PCB is good to go guys!  I've got brass plate samples on their way to me now, should have them by the end of the month.  I've also worked with my machinist to figure out how to get smoother cuts and he's suggested some changes to my files, which I've made.  I'm excited as hell to get these plates in :D

Edit:  Why did my images upload in the wrong orientation D:

Offline Zilleon

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 14:07:52 »
Woooow! It looks soooooo good!

Great job man!
Following this very closely and on every update the hipe and excitement goes up :)

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 20:48:48 »
Woooo! Let's go!

This is just humming along. I've only used the ergodox for years and I'm really excited to get in on this. There are so many nice 60% cases out there and almost zero nice ergodox cases.  :p

Offline the_high_5

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 22:15:12 »
Wow that PCB looks great. Keeping a close eye on this one also! May just very well be my first Ortho.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: Thu, 20 September 2018, 00:44:01 by the_high_5 »

Offline beekey

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 00:32:08 »
Cool, lets get this started. :)

Offline ibakey

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 00:09:09 »
This looks fantastic! Would definately be up for this.

Do you think it can support normal sized spacebars?
I don't know if you guys face this issue but i use the keyboard and mouse simultaneously at work, so sometimes i wish the spacebar is a tad larger than my current (xd75)

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 18:13:12 »
This looks fantastic! Would definately be up for this.

Do you think it can support normal sized spacebars?
I don't know if you guys face this issue but i use the keyboard and mouse simultaneously at work, so sometimes i wish the spacebar is a tad larger than my current (xd75)

Depends what you mean by normal sized?  The arrow layout supports 6.25u space bars, and the grid layout supports 7u spacebars :)

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 10:23:31 »
Hey just wanted to let everyone know what's the status of the GB.  I'm currently waiting on the brass plate samples to come in so I can confirm the fit and finish of them and make sure that the small/minor changes to my plate design improve the production quality.  Unfortunately got caught up with a bunch of Chinese holidays which slowed production down.  The plates are actually done already but nobody can ship them until they're back in the office next week, but they should come quickly after that.

As for pricing, I believe I've settled on:
$30 for Stainless Steel plate
$50 for Brass plate
$30 for PCB
$10 for design charge/sorting/logistics of a custom plate for your top-mounted case.

I hope that all sounds good!  Let me know your thoughts on the pricing.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 12:08:51 »
Love it! Such a unique and creative idea  :thumb:

Prices are very reasonable too. Would love to see other ideas you come up with.

Offline beekey

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 12:21:48 »
Sounds good.  :thumb:

Offline Zilleon

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 12:56:08 »

Oh yeah, Boardwalk65 incoming??? Let's transform all of our cases into ortholinear!

**hooope** :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 October 2018, 17:23:35 by Zilleon »

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 17:18:29 »

Oh yeah, Boardwalk75 incoming??? Let's transform all of our cases into ortholinear!

I've been looking into it!  A Boardwalk 75 would be my personal dream.  Just trying to figure out the top row actually.

Another quick update: PlastikSchnittstelle is going to be offering a Boardwalk plate for his 60% case: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95113.msg2667347#msg2667347

This will be compatible with the Boardwalk PCB, so for those who were in that GB, PM PlastikSchnittstelle and he can add or change your plate to the Boardwalk plate!  I think this is really cool of him to do, so thanks to him for reaching out to me and offering to support this layout :)

I am going to be updating the OP for this post with some more details this week.  I really wanted to open the GB this week but the brass plates still aren't in yet :( I'm really just waiting on those and then the GB will be ready to go!

Offline Zilleon

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 17:22:54 »

Oh yeah, Boardwalk75 incoming??? Let's transform all of our cases into ortholinear!

I've been looking into it!  A Boardwalk 75 would be my personal dream.  Just trying to figure out the top row actually.

Another quick update: PlastikSchnittstelle is going to be offering a Boardwalk plate for his 60% case: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95113.msg2667347#msg2667347

This will be compatible with the Boardwalk PCB, so for those who were in that GB, PM PlastikSchnittstelle and he can add or change your plate to the Boardwalk plate!  I think this is really cool of him to do, so thanks to him for reaching out to me and offering to support this layout :)

I am going to be updating the OP for this post with some more details this week.  I really wanted to open the GB this week but the brass plates still aren't in yet :( I'm really just waiting on those and then the GB will be ready to go!
Oh that is sweet, but I actually meant 65, it was a mistype lol

Offline monkt

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 10:53:47 »

Does that mean the 75 is likely to be on offer in the same upcoming group buy?

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 10:56:03 »
No, the 75 is really just in a theory stage right now.  Once I can figure out a way to make the F-row look good, I still have to design the PCB.  This GB will be purely for the Boardwalk!

Offline young_won

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 11:03:49 »
Asian proxy please

Offline kim-kim

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 11:41:17 »

Yeah, finally SKB with Boardwalk! Can't waiting for GB time  :D

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 10:44:42 »
Super awesome news, plates are finally enroute to me and I expect them to be here next week.  The GB will open very shortly after that, as I have to prep vendors and make sure that everything is in order.  It sucks that we're literally just waiting on these plate samples, but I would rather verify that they're bueno before going ahead and offering them.

I'll post photos when they're up, but I'm going to get in touch with vendors/proxies now to figure out what we need before we can go live!

Offline lazyfart

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 04:41:19 »
Super awesome news, plates are finally enroute to me and I expect them to be here next week.  The GB will open very shortly after that, as I have to prep vendors and make sure that everything is in order.  It sucks that we're literally just waiting on these plate samples, but I would rather verify that they're bueno before going ahead and offering them.

I'll post photos when they're up, but I'm going to get in touch with vendors/proxies now to figure out what we need before we can go live!
Excellent news! Thanks for all the hard work :D

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 16:37:04 »
Brass plates have come in and... well let's start with the good news!

• Hefty as ****, I see why you guys like brass!
  • The new DXF drawing that I'm using for the plates leads to much nicer cuts, no more wobbly edges
  • New packaging is improving the warping/bending during shipping

Unfortunately it appears that with all of the craziness during the Chinese national holiday season, they forgot to polish the plate, and one of the things I was looking forward to was how clean they would look after their polishing process.  The photos they sent me looked fantastic, nothing like what I was sent (my samples are the raw brushed material, not glossy at all).   I'm going to keep working with them to send me a sample ASAP of the polishing work.  That being said, I am happy with the cutting and overall plate quality though. 

I don't think that this should hold back the GB any longer.  It has been almost a month since the day I wanted to start the GB, and if we push it back further, the completion/delivery date will start to encroach on Christmas.  To be honest, this is my first GB and I have no idea what I'm doing, but I think it's time to get the show on the road.

I'm going over all the quotes and numbers again to make sure that prices are reasonable and fair.  Alexatpanc will be running the GB here on GH, Reddit, and wherever else he wants to post.

Offline lazyfart

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 16:39:26 »
Brass plates have come in and... well let's start with the good news!

• Hefty as ****, I see why you guys like brass!
  • The new DXF drawing that I'm using for the plates leads to much nicer cuts, no more wobbly edges
  • New packaging is improving the warping/bending during shipping

Unfortunately it appears that with all of the craziness during the Chinese national holiday season, they forgot to polish the plate, and one of the things I was looking forward to was how clean they would look after their polishing process.  The photos they sent me looked fantastic, nothing like what I was sent (my samples are the raw brushed material, not glossy at all).   I'm going to keep working with them to send me a sample ASAP of the polishing work.  That being said, I am happy with the cutting and overall plate quality though. 

I don't think that this should hold back the GB any longer.  It has been almost a month since the day I wanted to start the GB, and if we push it back further, the completion/delivery date will start to encroach on Christmas.  To be honest, this is my first GB and I have no idea what I'm doing, but I think it's time to get the show on the road.

I'm going over all the quotes and numbers again to make sure that prices are reasonable and fair.  Alexatpanc will be running the GB here on GH, Reddit, and wherever else he wants to post.
Sexy af! Can't wait! Hopefully everything gets sorted. Because hitting Christmas usually means delays till Feb.

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 17:34:41 »
Sexy af! Can't wait! Hopefully everything gets sorted. Because hitting Christmas usually means delays till Feb.

No worries there!  I'm just going to be placing larger orders of things I have already ordered.  I don't think there should be delays in this case, except for packing and such.

I forgot to say that I'm working with Alex to get the GB started up on this Thursday, exactly a month after my original planned GB start date.  Sorry it's taken so long guys!  I also don't know how to hype things, but that's actually OK with me, I'd prefer if this GB was a little more low-key, I've got enough to worry about these days as is.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 09:23:34 »
So if I get the HHKB variant of the Fusion60: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94150.0, would it be compatible with this layout:

Offline elpeterson

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 10:32:23 »
Would someone want to point me in the direction of compatible cases for this? Would this fit any case compatible with HHKB?

Offline elpeterson

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 10:56:22 »
[ignore, double post]

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 13:04:43 »
So if I get the HHKB variant of the Fusion60: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94150.0, would it be compatible with this layout:

Show Image

You will have to pay the extra $10 to get a custom plate designed and cut, but yes, it will be compatible with that layout!

Would someone want to point me in the direction of compatible cases for this? Would this fit any case compatible with HHKB?
https://kbdfans.cn/collections/60-layout-case

Every 60% case from kbdfans will work, and I'm pretty confident in saying that every 60% case out there will work for this GB because I am offering to cut custom plates for top-mounted cases :)

Offline elpeterson

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 13:52:02 »
https://kbdfans.cn/collections/60-layout-case

Every 60% case from kbdfans will work, and I'm pretty confident in saying that every 60% case out there will work for this GB because I am offering to cut custom plates for top-mounted cases :)

Awesome! Thank you so much

Offline elpeterson

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 13:19:29 »
Just saw the email, I think I speak for everyone that an extra couple days isn't a problem if it means that everything is solid and you feel good about it. That plate is gorgeous and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #50 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 13:49:02 »
For anyone that's not in the mailing list, elpeterson is talking about the delay of the GB until Monday.  I think that somewhere along the way, the quote from my PCB manufacturer got messed up and I'm now being underquoted.  This might cause the PCB cost to go up, and I want to settle the price and make sure that I'm not putting myself in a bad position before going live.

Also, I did an admittedly bad job prepping my Vendors/proxies for the launch so a few more days will help everyone get on board.  Monday will definitely be the launch of the GB though!  Everything is ALMOST there.

On the plate front:  I think that it was actually my confusion on the polishing.  Even in an earlier post, I confirmed that it wouldn't be a mirror sheen.  I've discussed it with my machinist and this is what I should have been expecting, I just forgot because it was such a long time since I ordered the samples.  That being said, the finish is a very uniform, machine brushed finish, and the blemishes on the plate were just oil marks that I washed off very easily.  Overall, I'm pretty damn happy with these plates now.  If you want a mirror finish, you will have to put in the elbow grease yourself, but if you're OK with a sort of matte brushed look, these will be right up your alley!

Offline tacahiroy

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 07:00:20 »
Possible to have multiple layout with 1 PCB is really nice. Hope this will be happened.

Tapatalk を使用して私の SH-M07 から送信

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 13:07:44 »
Possible to have multiple layout with 1 PCB is really nice. Hope this will be happened.

Tapatalk を使用して私の SH-M07 から送信

Yeah!  It's definitely what I wanted out of this PCB, to be able to use all of the layouts with just one board.  I always like more flexibility!

As an aside, the GB is open!  We're waiting on approval for the GH thread to open, but for now, you can check out the Reddit post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/9qg6u6/gb_boardwalk_pcb_and_plate

Offline gecruz

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 10:36:33 »
Hi.
I wonder where can I get that same case in the HHKB layout picture. Is it this?: https://kprepublic.com/products/xd64-xd60-60-hhkb-layout-aluminium-case-with-acrylic-diffuser?variant=995982278700

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 12:08:11 »
Hi.
I wonder where can I get that same case in the HHKB layout picture. Is it this?: https://kprepublic.com/products/xd64-xd60-60-hhkb-layout-aluminium-case-with-acrylic-diffuser?variant=995982278700

I was wondering the same thing.

Offline graefeln

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 13:25:04 »
Hi.

Over on reddit, it was mentioned that it was the Campine mk.iii:

It is the Campine mk.III. I'm going to have some available as a discounted bundle for entrants in this GB!

I would expect the one you linked to look relatively similar when built (looks like it has an acrylic bottom instead of just the aluminum one of the Campine with just an acrylic "strip") and shensmobile is making plates specifically for KPRepublic's xd60/64 cases, so I ordered the one you linked myself and will see how it works out I guess.

Offline rumlyne

• ortho, ergo, ertho?!
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 06:55:53 »
(...)I ordered the one you linked myself and will see how it works out I guess.

Keep us posted!

Insert Signature without plastics

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 12:25:36 »
Hey to everyone!  The photos in the gallery are of both the Campine MKiii as well as the KPRepublic XD64 HHKB style case.  The KPRepublic plate will fit in that case for sure!  It's a great option, I will include some 3d printed inserts as well that help to support the plate/PCB and make it even more rigid.  The KPRepublic cases ship with tempered glass bottoms now as well.  I think the site says acrylic, but if you hover over the colour options, they something akin to "v2 with glass bottom."

Offline gecruz

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 00:27:05 »
Analyzing the PCB image, it seems to me that the HHKB design with three 2u buttons in the bottom row is not supported, I did not find the switch hole for the 2u right button. That particular design is perfect for me because the 2u button on the right is just where I hit the spacebar (just below the "N" and "M" keys). In the design with two "2u" buttons I find the 2u button on the right (the spacebar) too far for my thumb (I would have to press it on the edge). I really hope I'm wrong and the design with three 2u buttons is supported :)

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 00:31:22 »
Unfortunately that layout was removed in order to facilitate a more stable plate. Earlier in this thread, and with some discussion on Reddit, it was decided that sacrificing 1 layout for the greater good was worth it. I’m sorry that is a problem for you :( I wish I could support every layout. I hope here’s still something that would work for you, maybe using 1u instead?

Offline gecruz

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 11:07:58 »
Yes, I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it. Thanks!

Offline elpeterson

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 10:49:04 »
A GH60 case just hit MassDrop, how can I modify my order?

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 12:56:09 »
A GH60 case just hit MassDrop, how can I modify my order?

Drop AlexAtPanc a DM here and he’ll fix your order for you. https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=profile;u=54829

Let me know if you don’t get a response, I can let him know directly as well.

Offline elpeterson

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 16:03:11 »
Just sent him a PM, thanks!

Offline rumlyne

• ortho, ergo, ertho?!
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 04:30:28 »
Does anyone have a KPRepublic HHKB style XD60/64 case? I really want to get one but I'm not sure if it's angled or not. The pics are all shot from the top and on the one that is shot at an angle it isn't obvious wether the feet that apparently tilt it are removable or not. Also how's the machining quality?
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 November 2018, 04:51:01 by rumlyne »

Offline tacahiroy

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 06:19:36 »
Does anyone have a KPRepublic HHKB style XD60/64 case? I really want to get one but I'm not sure if it's angled or not. The pics are all shot from the top and on the one that is shot at an angle it isn't obvious wether the feet that apparently tilt it are removable or not. Also how's the machining quality?

I had the same question actually, so I googled it and found a video on YouTube.
XD64 HHKB case doesn't look angled, it has tilt stand though.

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 06:57:20 »

The case is flat, but has feet to angle it up slightly.

Machining quality is excellent, although there has been some reported issues of the m3 screws stripping their holes. I think that the holes were drilled a little too wide before tapping, but I haven’t run into this issue myself. I reported this to KPrepublic though and they said they would address it. I still think it’s the best value for a top-mounted keyboard and the 3D printed inserts I will include make it incredibly rigid and tight after assembly. No flex or “cheap” feeling at all.

Offline grizzly_teddy

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 11:54:13 »
I'll be posting an IC/GB within the next week or so for SA blank keys, and one of the kits you can get will be for the Boardwalk (2u/1.5u/1u keys only). The main color we will be getting is Godspeed teal. Alphas can be Godspeed teal or white.
> The way GH looks now, to a regular person, it screams, "Oh dang, this is one of **those** sites for really devoted and weird people".

Offline rumlyne

• ortho, ergo, ertho?!
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 16:41:26 »
Thx guys for the video and the reviews! I think I'm gonna get myself one for Christmas ;)

Offline elpeterson

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 09:36:02 »

Drop AlexAtPanc a DM here and he’ll fix your order for you. https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=profile;u=54829

Let me know if you don’t get a response, I can let him know directly as well.

Didn't get a reply. I put in another order under the same email. In my message I let him know that the first order could be deleted.

Offline OkKarma

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 17:49:51 »
Same here. Screwed up and put my name into the form when I was meant to buy from the EU proxy (which I have now done).

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 19:42:06 »
I just realized that this thread exists!

Below is the updated GB thread, for anyone looking for more info:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97935.msg2680224#msg2680224

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 17:07:42 »
Really want to get in on this PCB but I don't yet have a case lined up. What would you suggest I do about the plate?

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 19:58:56 »
Really want to get in on this PCB but I don't yet have a case lined up. What would you suggest I do about the plate?

If you aren't sure, I'd suggest going for the traymount universal plate, since that is the one that is most versatile. You can use that one with any Pok3r-supporting case.

Offline elpeterson

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 10:46:19 »
Has anyone's tracking been updated? It said it was created on 2/12/19 but nothing has been updated since.

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 19:41:17 »
Has anyone's tracking been updated? It said it was created on 2/12/19 but nothing has been updated since.

I believe Alex should be shipping them out in batches beginning soon!  He sent me a photo of a massive pile of packages yesterday :)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 08:22:11 »

I believe Alex should be shipping them out in batches beginning soon!  He sent me a photo of a massive pile of packages yesterday :)
Good to hear :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline equalunique

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 31 March 2019, 08:44:05 »
I have mine, and now all GMK Assembly kits are 1000% more interesting to me.

When should we expect R2?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk