Author Topic: Wacom Cintiq Pro 13 vs XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro Pen Display monitor  (Read 17315 times)

Offline baodong

Wacom Cintiq Pro 13 vs XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro Pen Display monitor
« on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 01:08:58 »
Both tablets are full HD, both have 8000+ levels of pressure sensitivity, and both are currently within my price range.they work well with the photoshop .

Things to consider;
Cintiq Pro:

1) Has almost no parallax.

2) Eraser on pen, no need for charging.

3) Professional Color reproduction.
XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro:

1) HUGE SCREEN!

2) XP-Pen Customer support blows Wacom out of the water.

3) Much less nib-wear than Cintiq Pro.

I think the biggest things you need to consider for this case are the size, expresskeys, and parallax.
Size:

A 22-inch monitor like the XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro takes up a LOT of desk space. If you don't have much desk space in the first place, you might need to buy a mount or arm to hold up the monitor in a comfortable position to draw on. If you have an L-shaped table layout, then you could put the drawing monitor on the side table, and the main keyboard and computer on the main table, but for a single table it's hard to imagine where you can put a 22-inch monitor without it getting in the way.

On the other hand, a 13-inch tablet like the Wacom Cintiq Pro 13 will be much easier to make desk space for. You'll probably just need to put the Intuos 3 away and that should be almost enough space for the Cintiq Pro 13, plus you will be able to comfortably reach other a 13-inch monitor to type on the keyboard behind it.

It feels nice having a big 22-inch monitor, but unless you've figured out a space for it, it's really hard to include it in your workspace (this is just my observation from using  a 22-inch XP-Pen Artist22E Pro, I buy it from their offical site LINK REMOVED

The XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro comes with the built-in expresskeys, whereas you'll need to buy a separate expresskey remote for the Wacom Cintiq Pro 13 if you want to do all your work on just the tablet without touching the keyboard.

This part honestly depends on what you plan to do. If you plan to put the Wacom Cintiq Pro 13 in front of the keyboard where your Intuos3 used to be, then you're probably going to just use keyboard shortcuts and won't need the expresskey remote. However, if you're planning on drawing on the Cintiq Pro without using the keyboard, then you'll need to pay another 100 USD for the Wacom Expresskey Remote since the Cintiq Pro doesn't have expresskeys built-in (or you could do everything with finger touches since the Cintiq Pro does have multi-touch support).

Hm, thinking about it again, I guess the expresskeys aren't really a factor since the Cintiq Pro can kinda compensate with the multi-touch (finger touch input).
Parallax:

As you know, the XP-Pen has some parallax, while the Cintiq Pro is advertised to have basically none. I experienced "no parallax" with a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 in the past, and I honestly disliked not having any parallax because I couldn't see the cursor under the pen when using very small brush sizes. I am someone who wasn't ever much of a traditional artist, so I've become extremely used to watching the cursor instead of the pen while drawing, so not being able to see the cursor is unfortunately a problem for me. I've found that I actually depend on parallax to be able to see the cursor under the pen.

This obviously may not apply to you, but I figured I would mention it as a personal opinion.
For the most part, I think that the Wacom Cintiq Pro 13 is probably a better pickup if you aren't really fussy about the size of your LINK REMOVED .

The whole point of Wacom alternatives at this point and time is to offer tablets for less than 1000 USD for people who cannot afford the lowest Wacom Cintiq but still want a drawing monitor. The XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro is too close to the price of the Wacom Cintiq Pro 13 to really be considered unless you absolutely don't want to settle with a smaller 13-inch monitor and want a larger 22-inch monitor instead.

The Wacom Cintiq Pro 13 simply outdoes the XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro in all aspects (aside from the size) because it offers extra features like multi-touch, pen tilt/rotation sensitivity, and I believe it actually comes with a longer warranty (I read the warranty info and the Wacom Cintiq Pro 13 comes with a 2 year warranty, whereas the XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro comes with a 1 year warranty).

Basically I just wanted to share my experience from this huge upgrade and it would be cool to hear about your experiences for those who had an opportunity to try a graphic tablet and a pen display monitor tablet , which tool ended up being better for you?
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2018, 10:18:45 by exitfire401 »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Wacom Cintiq Pro 13 vs XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro Pen Display monitor
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 03:58:37 »
One extra advantage of the Wacom is third party and  replacement parts, you can get different styles and replacement Wacom pens pretty reasonably priced.

A good budget option is to look into older Lenovo X series tablets, almost all, if not all, use Wacom screens, so do most of the Fujitsus. You can pick up these older systems for well under $200, and while they only have 256 pressure points, that's not a problem (an artist on Youtube did a demonstration on it).

Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 19:08:08 »
Great comparison, I agree that the colors on the Cintiq are very fuegs :thumb:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 06:52:25 »

The color difference is calibration..

If you buy a probe for ~$100, the xpen will prolly match the performance of cintiq

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 22:57:41 »

The color difference is calibration..

If you buy a probe for ~$100, the xpen will prolly match the performance of cintiq

Shouldn't different panels affect that though?

Like IPS vs TN.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 September 2018, 11:30:51 »

Like IPS vs TN.

IPS only Sometimes have better color-Gamut than TN..

as for Accuracy AFTER calibration, anything made in the last 5 years will be within 1-2 Delta E..

The difference at 1-2 Delta E is imperceptible.

Now, IPS vs TN has attributes OTHER than accuracy which affect the PERCEIVED image.

Because TN has smaller viewing angles, if you have a larger TN panel, 24+ inches, viewed from the center, there will be significant Contrast drift towards the side of the panels,   you wouldn't want to do photoshop on TN primarily for this reason.

For Content consumption, movies, games, Assuming SAME % sRGB coverage space and CALIBRATED,  TN and VA are almost always better than IPS..

IPS is not great for content, because of extremely high black-lvls.  It has more washed out mid and dark colors vs VA or TN.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 September 2018, 14:38:34 »

Like IPS vs TN.

IPS only Sometimes have better color-Gamut than TN..

as for Accuracy AFTER calibration, anything made in the last 5 years will be within 1-2 Delta E..

The difference at 1-2 Delta E is imperceptible.

Now, IPS vs TN has attributes OTHER than accuracy which affect the PERCEIVED image.

Because TN has smaller viewing angles, if you have a larger TN panel, 24+ inches, viewed from the center, there will be significant Contrast drift towards the side of the panels,   you wouldn't want to do photoshop on TN primarily for this reason.

For Content consumption, movies, games, Assuming SAME % sRGB coverage space and CALIBRATED,  TN and VA are almost always better than IPS..

IPS is not great for content, because of extremely high black-lvls.  It has more washed out mid and dark colors vs VA or TN.

Oh I see :cool:

Would it be possible to match colors if the panels were very different in quality though?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 September 2018, 17:55:23 »

Would it be possible to match colors if the panels were very different in quality though?

What do you mean by match colors ? describe the situation or a use case.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 22:54:35 »

What do you mean by match colors ? describe the situation or a use case.

Oh, like get the same color reproduction on 2 different monitors?
Not really sure what it's called.

Like you said you could calibrate the xpen to compete with the cintiq.

I bought a Dell ultrasharp for editing photos & say I want to calibrate my Asus gaming monitor to display the same colors when I move a photo onto that screen.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 07:18:37 »

I bought a Dell ultrasharp for editing photos & say I want to calibrate my Asus gaming monitor to display the same colors when I move a photo onto that screen.

You can match 2 monitors but you will need a calibration probe. You can't do it by eye.

Nearly everything PC-side is sRGB, and most monitors have high enough sRGB gamut to match.

The only issue for matching may be backlit glow color, so neutral blacks/greys may look slightly different between monitors even though they're Technically matched.

This is because the Backlit LED or Backlit CCFL lamps being different, will have a slightly different hue.

My old dell 2410 has a blue glow,  whereas my viewsonic has a greenish glow.

For multi-monitor, depending on the application, it may or may not work well.

Photoshop will work well with multi-monitor, but some other app may not even be aware that the second monitor is running a different calibration, they may not have an internal color engine to work with calibrations..

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 13:00:36 »

You can match 2 monitors but you will need a calibration probe. You can't do it by eye.

Nearly everything PC-side is sRGB, and most monitors have high enough sRGB gamut to match.

The only issue for matching may be backlit glow color, so neutral blacks/greys may look slightly different between monitors even though they're Technically matched.

This is because the Backlit LED or Backlit CCFL lamps being different, will have a slightly different hue.

My old dell 2410 has a blue glow,  whereas my viewsonic has a greenish glow.

For multi-monitor, depending on the application, it may or may not work well.

Photoshop will work well with multi-monitor, but some other app may not even be aware that the second monitor is running a different calibration, they may not have an internal color engine to work with calibrations..

Ah I see, yeah my Dell is much cooler than my Asus which is a bit more yellow than my Surface Pro.
Wasn't sure if that was the actual colors or what.

I did notice that adobe apps showed images different than some other apps.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 14:04:30 »

Ah I see, yeah my Dell is much cooler than my Asus which is a bit more yellow than my Surface Pro.
Wasn't sure if that was the actual colors or what.

I did notice that adobe apps showed images different than some other apps.

Yea the glow is a bad thing, it's essentially ruining the neutral greys and whites.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 22:59:07 »
So basically what your saying is... When the specs say a monitor can only produce ~99% srgb and ~70% adobe rgb it just means the calibration is incorrect? I smell an onion conspiracy..

edit - you're.. is what I meant to type.. :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 September 2018, 17:36:35 by csmertx »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 23:54:03 »
So basically what your saying is... When the specs say a monitor can only produce ~99% srgb and ~70% adobe rgb it just means the calibration is incorrect? I smell an onion conspiracy..

The Gamut in the Spec is correct in that it CAN produce that gamut.

However, without calibration unique to each individual panel, the output is not remotely accurate.

An engine could have 300 horsepower,  but if the fuel / air ratio is Off or never tuned properly at the factory, it may only produce 100 or even 50 hp..

That's the same with monitors.

The Dell ultrasharp line come pre-calibrated,  but it's a low accuracy quick calibration,  it's better than nothing, but kind of like a spit-shine once over..

New panels also drift significantly after the first 100-300 hours, so... whatever factory calibration it comes with is not great given heat cycling the crystals.

Other cheapees, or non-calibrated panels typically look p00-p00,  but most people don't notice because they've never seen a calibrated panel before..

Once you see one though,  you can't unsee it..  the difference is so obvious..

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 16:17:01 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 07:44:07 »
Show Image

Every panel, comes out a little different at the factory, if it's not calibrated, it's always off.

Every person comes out a little different, but if he isn't educated (human calibration) , he'll end up like Tp4..

Offline yunera

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 20:34:08 »
wacom cintiq pro 13 is smaller with 13.3-inch screen but has better screen resolution, and color gamut. the stylus also has better performance, and it doesn't have battery, no need to recharge. the downside is the price, which is very,  very expensive.
xp-pen artist 22E Pro is large at 22-in but still has 1080p reslution and narrow 78% adobe color gamut, the stylus not as good as wacom cintiq, it even has battery inside.
I would recommend you upgrade to their newest model - xp-pen artist 22R Pro, which comes with better screen quality and a battery-free PA2 stylus.
This article has a detailed comparsion: https://pctechtest.com/wacom-cintiq-22-vs-xppen-artist-22r-pro , This may can help you  a lot.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 19 October 2023, 08:22:35 »

edit - you're.. is what I meant to type.. :(

when I see those specs - I know it's color reproduction from factory is garbage and normally a cheap panel.  I know if I go with a Asus ProArt or Professional BenQ, the calibration process will be less time consuming.  I prefer to see 100+ on sRGB 95+ on AdobeRGB/DCIp
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 October 2023, 08:25:03 by Darthbaggins »

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 19 October 2023, 17:26:06 »
Those specs don't mean it's not calibrated, it can still be calibrated to do those colors well.
The spec means it simply cannot hit those colors, at all, no matter how much calibration you do.

99% SRGB / 70% Adobe isn't bad actually... If you're playing games or casually watching movies (what most people do).
If you do any content creation that requires correct color tones however, it's terrible and could cause trouble for you.

Edit:
That said, accurate color can also cause problems in some circles, for example, whoever did Google Maps color coding had a really fantastic monitor, so good that when viewed on some lesser monitors the street lines almost disappear... (thanks, moron!). Why you wouldn't make that high contrast is beyond me, but someone thought 1 shade darker was perfectly fine. It's so much of a problem that there's browser plugins to deal with it. And you would think Google would catch this but it's one of those spots were A.I. and automation come together and screw things up, "A.I. says it's working fine, boss!". I mean, it must work if the A.I. and automated test says it's working, it must be working right?  Where'd our users go?
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 October 2023, 17:32:26 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion