Author Topic: DOOM's 25th Anniversary  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Kavik

DOOM's 25th Anniversary
« on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 23:18:49 »
DOOM turned 25 today. It was released on December 10th, 1993.

I remember coming home from school, and my brother was already at home playing it (He got out of school 15 minutes earlier at his school than I did). Come to think of it, I'm not sure if it was DOOM or DOOM II. Based on the level I'm picturing it was the first one, but it makes more sense based on the time of year that it was the sequel. I digress.

I meant to play it today to celebrate but I forgot, and now it's bed time. Maybe tomorrow.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: DOOM's 25th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 23:31:45 »

Games used to be hard.

Doom (2016) hardest difficulty is still brutally difficult

edit: more on topic, my first exposure to doom was watching my older cousin play on pc a long time ago, i remember being pretty scared by it

much later, i played through doom on an ipod after some madman ported it to ipod-linux
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 23:34:02 by nmur »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 23:33:57 »
The first time I ever played it as a kid was visiting my brother while my parents were away on a trip. At the time he was some department head at Microsoft and I thought he was so cool, and one night he was like, "I got this game from a friend at work, you should check it out... but don't tell Mom."
And that was basically it, I fell in love with the game and he made me a copy that I played in secret for a long time. I would wake up in the middle of the night and install the game on my Mom's computer and play with the speakers turned off, then when I was done would uninstall the entire thing and go to bed. :))
Not too long after that my brother actually hooked up a tour of the Id offices in Bethesda, MD where they were located at the time which was basically the moment I decided I wanted to go into video game development. I met John Carmack and he let me smash a keyboard against a wall, which was nice. Must've been like Summer '94 because DOOM II had just come out.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 12:42:53 »
I was in high school, one of a few nerds that had been issued key-cards to the computer rooms.
Of course there was rampant piracy going on and a lot of gaming on those 386 and 486 PCs. We played Wolfenstein, Star Control, Comanche and Ultima Underworld  ... and then one day there was a copy of Doom - the press release version with three levels. It was date-limited, so we had to set back the date on the PC's clock to make it run. :-þ
It was mindblowing. The 3D, the speed, the horror and the gore.
Eventually, the full version had been installed on every PC and both rooms were full with people on recesses playing Doom in "deathmatch" and cooperate mode, with only a handful of them being authorised to be there. Sadly, this led to our passes being revoked.
This led to me wanting to be a game programmer. I have to admit that I was a John Carmack-fanboy for a few years. Later, when I had Internet access, I used the "finger" command to check his blog to read the development of Quake and Quake II.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 14:27:48 »
December 10th, 1993. The day PC gaming surpassed that of consoles ^^ .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 14:57:27 »
i remember in our class computer lab, the CAD software was wiped from all the machines and had DOOM installed on them instead.

idkfa
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 08:19:59 »
I remember coming home from school one day and my parents had purchased our first computer.
My uncle was there setting it up, and when I got home we played DOOM on LAN 1on1. God damn those were simpler times.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 22:19:27 »
December 10th, 1993. The day PC gaming surpassed that of consoles ^^ .

Ha, yeah, definitely if you mean literally IBM PC and compatible. Although I was pretty young, I do remember the Amiga 1000 we had was pretty far ahead of consoles when it was released in '85. Apparently, one of the things the NES had over desktop computers was the ability to scroll the screen (instead of loading a new screen when the player exited the edge), but the guys at Id figured out how to do it on a computer (I think they used it in Commander Keen or something). </end ramble>

The first time I ever played it as a kid was visiting my brother while my parents were away on a trip. At the time he was some department head at Microsoft and I thought he was so cool, and one night he was like, "I got this game from a friend at work, you should check it out... but don't tell Mom."
And that was basically it, I fell in love with the game and he made me a copy that I played in secret for a long time. I would wake up in the middle of the night and install the game on my Mom's computer and play with the speakers turned off, then when I was done would uninstall the entire thing and go to bed. :))
Not too long after that my brother actually hooked up a tour of the Id offices in Bethesda, MD where they were located at the time which was basically the moment I decided I wanted to go into video game development. I met John Carmack and he let me smash a keyboard against a wall, which was nice. Must've been like Summer '94 because DOOM II had just come out.

That's pretty cool. Do you remember anything Carmack said? From what I've seen in videos, he's the quintessential nerd.

Offline Eldr1tch

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 00:34:18 »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 06:08:06 »
BTW, the way that the view bobs up and down when you walk ... that is consistent with how John Carmack walks. ;)

I noticed his way of walking in a presentation back in the '99 or so where Steve Jobs had invited Carmack onto a stage to talk about games on Mac using OpenGL. Today, Apple has discontinued OpenGL on Mac in favour of its proprietary API ...
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 December 2018, 15:11:32 by Findecanor »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 10:02:08 »
= Today, Apple has discontinued OpenGL on Mac in favour of its proprietary API ...

It doesn't really matter, backwards compatibility is NICE to have, but it's no more than a news headline.

I think about the very few times I played ps2 games on my ps3, when all the new ps3 games came rolling in, then ps4..

It's truly been a non-issue.

As software goes,  new iterations do the same OR MORE vs the original/OG..

Just as a new game is the SAME OLD game with newer graphics..

Overall, backward compatibility is good for librarian-minded hoarders who live in river mud, but not of any practical concern.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 19:58:00 »
BTW, the way that the view bobs up and down when you walk ... that is consistent with how John Carmack walks. ;)

I noticed his way of walking in a presentation back in the '99 or so where Steve Jobs had invited Carmack onto a stage to talk about games on Mac using OpenGL. Today, Apple has discontinued OpenGL on Mac in favour of its proprietary API ...

I noticed that when I switched from Wolfenstein 3D to Doom.

I also found out that I bob irl when I walk, but I don't notice it unless I'm walking close behind someone else who bobs differently, then it's like were trying to out-bob each other or something.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline impaktor

• Blog on emacs & keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 December 2018, 09:51:16 »
I'm re-playing it now on gzdoom port. Back in the day, I actually preferred Wolfenstein 3D, as it was less scary.

Anyone buying the new levels by John Romero?
https://www.romerogames.ie/sigil/

Offline Kavik

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 December 2018, 14:15:48 »
I'm re-playing it now on gzdoom port. Back in the day, I actually preferred Wolfenstein 3D, as it was less scary.

Anyone buying the new levels by John Romero?
https://www.romerogames.ie/sigil/

Damn it, I never remembered to play DOOM. I remembered he released a couple of new levels in 2016 IIRC, but I never played them. Neat that he's releasing a new episode.

Offline impaktor

• Blog on emacs & keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 08:25:16 »
Yeah, there's a let's play (Doom) with John Romero (from 5y ago), where he mentions he needs to get up to speed with all the new amazing doom levels, and learn the new tricks before he could allow himself to release new levels, or else he'll be laughed off the internet.