Author Topic: [IC] ADK64 - 3D Printed 60% case for alps64  (Read 16432 times)

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
[IC] ADK64 - 3D Printed 60% case for alps64
« on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 11:28:36 »
Hello everyone, after a considerable IC phase on Reddit, I'm posting a final IC here for people to get on board before the GB begins

For those of you who are finding this for the first time, this is a 60% tray mounted case that I designed as a tribute to the AEK that I harvested all my alps parts from. This was originally just a personal project I embarked on while I had access to a 3D printer – but significant demand for samples from friends, redditors and discord members had prompted me to expand this into a proper group buy.

I am pleased to be working with the wonderful /u/keyboardbelleprints, who does amazing work on her own cases (keyboardbelle.com) and has shown real promise in helping me deliver an awesome case for the community. Seriously, these are amazing – the production samples I have received are awesome – they look great, sound great, and the translucent one’s handle underglow LEDs like nothing I’ve seen before.

So, lets get down to specs:
Weight: 330g
Material: ABS plastic (depends on the color option, but both are of similar density)
Mount: 6 screw pok3r style mount – compatible with USB-C because that’s a thing now.

Why 3D printed?
A few reasons:
1. Fast production – I’m expecting the cases to be ready to be distributed no more than a month after GB close.
2. Affordable – I asked a machinist friend of mine what a run of 30 of these in aluminum would cost, and it was upwards of $350 each. These are approximately 1/7th the price.
3. THE SOUND – These cases really bring out the pop and the thock of the alps switches. /u/cankr did a sound test with the sample I sent him, and its really something.

Sound test:

Compatibility:
I designed this for use with alps64 boards with AEK caps (using the hasu plate). With that being said, there is sufficient room for most 60% boards to fit, and I have tested GMK and SA caps, and can confirm that there is no rubbing or incompatibilities with the case.

The group buy will run for 2 weeks, then production will start immediately.
The cost is less than $50/case. Final price will be announced in the GB, but it will be between $40-50
Colors:
AEK Beige
Translucent
Glow-in-the-dark

In addition to the main three, I will get info from keyboardbelle if she has any other colours kicking around, so if someone wants a navy blue or lime green or something wild, we can try and make that hapoen. If she, please reply with a non-offered color and I can see if she stocks it before you order.

Finally, there will be an option for a cutout for the apple logo. Just a dab of hot glue and you're set. (apologies for the tiny image, I'm away from my protos right now)

Designed in Canada
Made in the USA
Ships from California

IC form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WVlvjTUEbI7-__oo242PtvnfmYf2dZ6oU08EsAaEGns
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 February 2019, 09:41:28 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline aedin

Re: [IC] ADK64 - 3D Printed 60% case for alps64
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 14:04:57 »
This looks great and I'm SO in for an AEK beige case especially at these prices.  I might pick up a glow in the dark on too for the heck of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 15:01:51 »
This looks great and I'm SO in for an AEK beige case especially at these prices.  I might pick up a glow in the dark on too for the heck of it.

Same the beige looks great, been looking for a nice plastic case for my next alps build

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 15:44:33 »

Awesome. I'm getting a sample of the glow in the dark made right now. Also, I forgot to mention, there is the option for a small cutout above the USB on the bezel to mount the apple logo from an AEK. I'll have pictures of that when it's finished.

Offline airlangga07

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 18:42:37 »
Wow I am interested!

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 00:03:17 »
"Wondering if this will fit and xd75 pcb, can you confirm this? If not it could give me an excuse to build another keyboard."

It will fit in the case, but you will get less than 5 mounting points, as it shares some with the gh60, but not all. So, it all depends on how much that will bother you. I think if you are to cut a few pieces of plastic to size and glue them strategically to support the PCB, it should be just fine. But if you're looking for perfect compatibility, I'm gonna have to say go build a staggered 60%. With alps ;)

Offline crd

• Discord: crd#7617
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 14:33:06 »
Loving this and looking forward to putting my alps64 in one. I have some other cases from keyboardbelle and they’re really cool and am excellent value.

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 16:09:52 »
Interested since I have extra parts laying aroud.

How many stand offs are being used? Would prefer at least no center post

Offline crd

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 16:23:40 »

Makes sense because the AEK plate that most folks will be using with this case doesn't use the center stand off

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 16:53:05 »

Im using the standard 6 right now, but if you'd like (and I can put a place to specify on the GB form) I can easily remove the center post. 2 minutes in CAD and add another order option. No problem :)

Offline fireworm

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 23:50:15 »
I'd be curious if you could offer a sanded down version too; I'm not a fan of the layers showing....

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 00:45:53 »
neat

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 04:53:37 »
Here are some answers to questions asked in the Google form:

Q: Hi, this could be a dumb question but is this case only for the alps pcb? Or can I use something non alps, like dz60 pcb in this?

A: you can use any standard mount 60% PCB, dz60 is what I am using in one of the pictures in the thread (the one with gmk camping keycaps). I say "for Alps" because the sound produced by Alps in thick plastic is amazing, but that does t mean it isn't compatible or good sounding with MX. I quite like MX black in these as well.

Q: Any way to have the edges sanded down to be flush, and not show the layering?

A: Not from me. But, if you want to do it to your case once you get it, I think it can work. Use very fine grit. Keep in mind that if you take off too much material you may reveal the hollow portions of the print, so go lightly. Also, I'm not sure how it would look on the glow or translucent cases, but I think a solid opaque color would look nice sanded.

Or, you can always take the XTC-3D route, it adds a smoothing effect and makes the prints look spectacular.

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 08:42:36 »

Im using the standard 6 right now, but if you'd like (and I can put a place to specify on the GB form) I can easily remove the center post. 2 minutes in CAD and add another order option. No problem :)

Definitely in then!

Offline KorbenDallas

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 14:34:53 »
Definitely looking forward to this running, my dampened whites need a home!

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 15:10:20 »

Definitely in then!

Awesome! Please fill in the Google form so I can gather a little more info about what colors people are after!

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 00:52:21 »
Had a few people asking about the apple logo - unfortunately I am not offering them, simply because it comes from the AEK (and m0116) boards themselves (which I only have a few of :/). If you have an AEK, just take off the housing and remove it with a little pin from behind. If you don't have an AEK, I would recommend asking around on mechmarket for someone to send one to you for a few bucks if you want to use it for the case. I know there are a lot of people with alps64 builds that gutted an AEK, but never seen any build use the logo, so many people probably have one sitting in the closet they would be willing to part with for a few dollars.

And finally, a small update: I have enough interest that I am comfortable to start the GB this week, (just waiting on a few pictures of the samples with the final revision) and will be sending everyone on my mailing list an email.

Thanks for the interest everyone!

Offline dimo

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 14:04:58 »
Are alps64 pcb’s still available?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 09:20:35 »
Are alps64 pcb’s still available?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69740.0

Right here, these are the best.

Offline Tommicorn

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 09:37:27 »
Looks great! Alps sound much better in plastic cases imo. I look forward to it!

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 10:47:34 »
I'd definitely be down for 2 of these! One to transplant my existing AEK64 build into & one for a batch of SKCM oranges I've been sitting on for quite awhile now. The sound test video really sold me on these. I'm happy with the way my aluminum case I have my AEK64 in now sounds, but that extra pop you get with these ABS cases is just lovely sounding! :thumb:

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 11:14:07 »
Had a few people asking about the apple logo - unfortunately I am not offering them, simply because it comes from the AEK (and m0116) boards themselves (which I only have a few of :/). If you have an AEK, just take off the housing and remove it with a little pin from behind. If you don't have an AEK, I would recommend asking around on mechmarket for someone to send one to you for a few bucks if you want to use it for the case. I know there are a lot of people with alps64 builds that gutted an AEK, but never seen any build use the logo, so many people probably have one sitting in the closet they would be willing to part with for a few dollars.

And finally, a small update: I have enough interest that I am comfortable to start the GB this week, (just waiting on a few pictures of the samples with the final revision) and will be sending everyone on my mailing list an email.

Maybe a sticker pack with a few different colored apples and other AEK inspired designs? I think this would probably get a decent number sold to the greater community too.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 11:32:55 »

Maybe a sticker pack with a few different colored apples and other AEK inspired designs? I think this would probably get a decent number sold to the greater community too.

This is a pretty good ideal! It would be pretty awesome to have Apple logo stickers that match popular key set colorways! Also making stickers would be much more feasible & affordable than actual badges. Although honestly I will probably steal a badge from one of my leftover AEKII cases.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 12:42:12 »
I'd definitely be down for 2 of these! One to transplant my existing AEK64 build into & one for a batch of SKCM oranges I've been sitting on for quite awhile now. The sound test video really sold me on these. I'm happy with the way my aluminum case I have my AEK64 in now sounds, but that extra pop you get with these ABS cases is just lovely sounding! :thumb:

Glad to hear it! I've got some shots of the glow in the dark prototype here http://imgur.com/gallery/hx99515

It diffuses the LEDs and glows in the dark!

GB starting this week when I have a free hour to write it up, I'll notify everyone by email.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 12:50:24 »

This is a pretty good ideal! It would be pretty awesome to have Apple logo stickers that match popular key set colorways! Also making stickers would be much more feasible & affordable than actual badges. Although honestly I will probably steal a badge from one of my leftover AEKII cases.

This is a good idea... Maybe for a future round. For now, however, it's just for the badge you take from the case. I don't want to dabble in using copyrighted symbols - I am just a lowly case maker :p

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 09:13:28 »
Sample of alternate grey. Thoughts on this compared to the original?

http://imgur.com/gallery/wBR0p5h

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 09:28:20 »

Show Image

It's nice, but I like the original better.

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 11:24:50 »
I like the original beige more as well. 

Offline mog_genius88

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 11:27:30 »
Beige is nicer but gray is also nice

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 23:13:54 »

Show Image

Okay, seems like most people like the OG beige. Makes my life easy.

Offline airlangga07

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 00:21:14 »

Show Image

Okay, seems like most people like the OG beige. Makes my life easy.

OG Beige yes!

Offline mog_genius88

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 01:51:05 »
Was happy that i found the old apple badges ive been saving today. Its gonna look so nice.

This isnt one of the busiest threads ive seen but im super excited about these.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 10:30:38 »
It's a tough call for me.  I love the design and color.  I love plastic cases.  I have 3 AEKIIs sitting around for harvesting caps and stabilizers.  I was going to buy a Lunar 65 board, but I have decided that alps just wouldn't feel right in a metal case with a thick plate.

But, then there's the fact that I have nearly 50 keyboards.  It's hard anymore for me to justify spending money on things that aren't perfect in my eyes.

I have a keyboardbelle case and I like it a lot.  But it's more of a novelty in my collection.  It has my very first board, a Cherry Blue Pok3r that I learned to solder on by putting in LEDs with some WASD custom caps on it.

So that's the conundrum.  I love plastic cases.  I know the 3d printed cases feel good.  I just don't like the way the 3d print lines look and it's going to be hard to convince myself to buy an alps64 board for this case. 

A very cool project, but I'm still deciding.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 11:23:29 »
It's a tough call for me.  I love the design and color.  I love plastic cases.  I have 3 AEKIIs sitting around for harvesting caps and stabilizers.  I was going to buy a Lunar 65 board, but I have decided that alps just wouldn't feel right in a metal case with a thick plate.

But, then there's the fact that I have nearly 50 keyboards.  It's hard anymore for me to justify spending money on things that aren't perfect in my eyes.

I have a keyboardbelle case and I like it a lot.  But it's more of a novelty in my collection.  It has my very first board, a Cherry Blue Pok3r that I learned to solder on by putting in LEDs with some WASD custom caps on it.

So that's the conundrum.  I love plastic cases.  I know the 3d printed cases feel good.  I just don't like the way the 3d print lines look and it's going to be hard to convince myself to buy an alps64 board for this case. 

My suggestion to those who don't like the lines (which is the nature of 3D printing, very small layers being added means that you get the staircase effect until you're dealing with layers in the hundreds of nanometers) is to either lightly sand the curves, or to apply a smoothing coating. They can be had for a few bucks from 3D printing shops online.

However, the little bit you sacrifice in surface finish gets you the ability for patterned infill, which is responsible for the great sound signature of the cases. Also, doing anything custom out of cast plastic involves expensive molds, so this is the best we've got for less than $50 a case.

But yeah, XTC-3D and a little sandpaper and go crazy man.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 11:26:02 »
Was happy that i found the old apple badges ive been saving today. Its gonna look so nice.

This isnt one of the busiest threads ive seen but im super excited about these.

Most of the interest and tweaking has been done on reddit, as well as a lot through the discord and PMs with a few guys I sent prototypes to so they could test it out.

Offline EvvL

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 11:27:23 »
The OG Beige is just about perfect IMHO. Definitely looking forward to this case since I first saw it posted on r/mk. Currently typing this on the alp64 that would probably go in it  :)

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 11:48:01 »

50 boards...dang. It's hard to justify anything with that many. lol

I'm not super experienced with Alps nor do I even actually like them (though I have a few boards), but I agree that they sound better in plastic cases. The awesome thing about the design of this case is that we are seeing a lot of Apple-inspired MX keysets (Oblique, Kbdfans , Katakana TKC, Qisan, etc..), so this has great synergy for those as well as OG AEK.

I actually appreciate the lines. Plastic is so ubiquitous in other products that it's uninteresting (even if it's not common for customs). I think it gives it a cool DIY, homemade feel. That's my outlook at least.

Offline crd

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 14:32:27 »
FWIW, I recently relocated my alps64 with matias click switches from an alu tofu to a different keyboardbelle case and I absolutely love the sound. Can’t wait to get one of these cases for it to really complete the aesthetic.

Offline sam278

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 22:01:11 »
Do you know if the speakers on the Clueboard 60 PCB will fit inside this case?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 16:29:45 »
Do you know if the speakers on the Clueboard 60 PCB will fit inside this case?

Those speakers are 5mm, and the mounts are 5mm from the bottom of the case, so it'll be close. Since it's 3D printed, you could Dremel out a little divot wherever the speaker is pretty easily if it doesn't fit as is.

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 22:39:57 »
Orange alps build with steel plate and pine case:

211460-0

The sound isn't great tbh, been looking for a nice plastic case to use with FR-4 plate for next build, I'm expecting a much better sound

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 23:16:17 »
Orange alps build with steel plate and pine case:

(Attachment Link)

The sound isn't great tbh, been looking for a nice plastic case to use with FR-4 plate for next build, I'm expecting a much better sound

Damn! That looks nice. I'd chalk it up to the plate material. I've got orange alps + FR4 + light wood case, and it sounds really nice. I think that the more light material (plastics/poly/substrate) you put in your alps builds the better.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 00:19:35 »
Okay I just stuck my orange alps build in my cassette futura case and it’s pretty amazing how much better it feels and sounds vs the aluminum case it was in previously.

Probably going to have to get one of these. 

Any chance we could convince you to do a 65% down the road? :)

211462-0

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 00:27:13 »
Okay I just stuck my orange alps build in my cassette futura case and it’s pretty amazing how much better it feels and sounds vs the aluminum case it was in previously.

Probably going to have to get one of these. 

Any chance we could convince you to do a 65% down the road? :)

(Attachment Link)

Shouldn't be hard. I would give me an excuse to redo the CAD for the case in a more organized fashion for sure, which i've learned is very necessary for making changes along the way. Lets see how this GB goes, and I'll have a look at making other sizes. Rumor is everyone's favourite spring scammer is making 75%  alps PCBs, so I might have to make an ADK75 ;)

Offline temp0321

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 01:52:48 »
When will this start GB?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 17:45:23 »
When will this start GB?

Soon(tm). Just getting a few things ironed out, so anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 12:01:03 »

My suggestion to those who don't like the lines (which is the nature of 3D printing, very small layers being added means that you get the staircase effect until you're dealing with layers in the hundreds of nanometers) is to either lightly sand the curves, or to apply a smoothing coating. They can be had for a few bucks from 3D printing shops online.

However, the little bit you sacrifice in surface finish gets you the ability for patterned infill, which is responsible for the great sound signature of the cases. Also, doing anything custom out of cast plastic involves expensive molds, so this is the best we've got for less than $50 a case.

How about stickerbombing the whole thing to hide the lines? Just an Idea, and I'm sure one can do that in a more... tasteful way (not too colorful stickers, maybe even retro-looking ones to fit the theme).

« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 12:04:10 by nguyenhimself »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 13:55:48 »
I've also seen people use hydrographics on 3d printed stuff.  But you'll still see the lines if you don't sand them.  I think I'll either leave it as-is or try my hand at a light sand + prime/paint

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 17:26:29 »

How about stickerbombing the whole thing to hide the lines? Just an Idea, and I'm sure one can do that in a more... tasteful way (not too colorful stickers, maybe even retro-looking ones to fit the theme).

Show Image

Show Image

This is a great idea! Could probably do this with B-stock as well since it'll cover up the imperfections. My only concern would be the stickers adhering to the somewhat rough surface caused by the layers... I'd consider a coating before stickering, but then I think it would work great!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 17:30:03 »
I seriously have enough stickers from mech keyboard vendors to cover more than one.  Lol