Author Topic: [IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% w/ OLED and Knob (4/25 UPDATE - 5/6 GB START)  (Read 131072 times)

Offline Sleepy_Badger

Re: [IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% Keyboard w/ OLED Screen and Rotary Encoder
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 22:11:43 »
hey im really liking this concept. Do you have a ballpark idea on the cost? I plan to enter quite a few things this spring so just trying to see what my budget is and what not, but dope design cant wait to own it hopefully  ;D

The cost will be $400 max. Not sure about specifics any further than that.

Thanks!! :D

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 22:36:33 »
watching this. seems like a good work board for me.

Offline hndle

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 09:57:44 »
this is perfect for me

Offline japancakes

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 17:57:24 »
This looks insane. Brass finish case hoooooly.

Offline bball2

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 23:43:39 »
Looks awesome, hope the price can be competitive!  :thumb:

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 19:54:29 »
Interested depending on final product and cost.

For brightness rotary encoder function: Is this the screeen brightness of the PC, or the OLED brightness level?  It would be nice to have the ability to change the brightness of the OLED; definitely wouldn't want an overly bright screen on my keyboard at all times when in use.  Or just the option to turn OLED off, or have it off after a few seconds of no rotary encoder use, turn OLED back on when using rotary encoder etc.

Also, would it be possible to bevel/chamfer the edges that go down into the OLED screen to reduce the reflections off of the sides of the OLED hole?
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2019, 19:57:40 by Sic_Alpha »

Offline upas

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 09:55:17 »
Interested depending on final product and cost.

For brightness rotary encoder function: Is this the screeen brightness of the PC, or the OLED brightness level?  It would be nice to have the ability to change the brightness of the OLED; definitely wouldn't want an overly bright screen on my keyboard at all times when in use.  Or just the option to turn OLED off, or have it off after a few seconds of no rotary encoder use, turn OLED back on when using rotary encoder etc.

Also, would it be possible to bevel/chamfer the edges that go down into the OLED screen to reduce the reflections off of the sides of the OLED hole?

The OLED does have a way to control "contrast" which is roughly correlated to brightness. I have not tried implementing code to change this, but quick searching shows that it might not make much of a difference. I'm using an existing OLED breakout for this keyboard, so I don't have full control of the OLED schematic, but it was a way to deliver this without spending months more of development, and I thought it was a good tradeoff to make.

In terms of the bevel/chamfer, the most recent version of the design does include one because I noticed this exact issue :)

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 22:06:59 »
 :thumb: on the chamfer/bevel; looking forward to seeing updated pics!

More ideas on OLED (just more detailed of what I was mentioning above, understood brightness/contrast is likely a no-go):

Auto-off function after set time of no rotary-encoder input detected (has a real-time clock after all :-).  Auto-on when rotary-encoder input detected resetting auto-off function timer whenever rotary input is detected.

Default to just showing clock on entire OLED screen (nothing else) when no rotary input detected for set amount of time.  When rotary input is detected, show pertinent info for current function.

Ability to turn off OLED when unwanted/unneeded via the rotary-encoder menu system.  When OLED is off, just push rotary button to turn it back on and goes into whatever function was set to defualt.

Also ability to enable/disable above auto functions.

Considering Knob and case.  I didn't find a mention... Will the case be shaped around the contour of a round knob for the hole?  Or will it remain a square, well rectangle for entire vertical column?  It would look much more polished, and I'd be willing to pay a little more, if it's a little more, to have it looking like it belongs there instead of a round peg into a square hole  ;D
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2019, 00:59:30 by Sic_Alpha »

Offline lac29

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:11:21 »
1) I kinda would prefer the rotary knob to be blockered out separately and cnced in its won circular spot rather than have a key right below it and in a square cnced spot. Is this possible?
2) I mentioned this before to you on reddit but I think it does make sense if possible to have the knob be stepped or smooth when rotated (ex Logitech mice scroll wheel allow you to switch between the two).

Offline RamenTechMech

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 11:18:09 »
2) I mentioned this before to you on reddit but I think it does make sense if possible to have the knob be stepped or smooth when rotated (ex Logitech mice scroll wheel allow you to switch between the two).

I don't think there is a rotary knob that can perform this function, you only have stepped and smooth. I have that mouse you are talking about which is the G502 but it's an actual object that makes contact with the scroll wheel that makes it stepped or into a freewheel.

Offline upas

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 12:25:26 »
:thumb: on the chamfer/bevel; looking forward to seeing updated pics!

More ideas on OLED (just more detailed of what I was mentioning above, understood brightness/contrast is likely a no-go):

Auto-off function after set time of no rotary-encoder input detected (has a real-time clock after all :-).  Auto-on when rotary-encoder input detected resetting auto-off function timer whenever rotary input is detected.

Default to just showing clock on entire OLED screen (nothing else) when no rotary input detected for set amount of time.  When rotary input is detected, show pertinent info for current function.

Ability to turn off OLED when unwanted/unneeded via the rotary-encoder menu system.  When OLED is off, just push rotary button to turn it back on and goes into whatever function was set to defualt.

Also ability to enable/disable above auto functions.

Considering Knob and case.  I didn't find a mention... Will the case be shaped around the contour of a round knob for the hole?  Or will it remain a square, well rectangle for entire vertical column?  It would look much more polished, and I'd be willing to pay a little more, if it's a little more, to have it looking like it belongs there instead of a round peg into a square hole  ;D

I have some of those oled features planned. It already goes to sleep after 60 seconds of keyboard inactivity. If the keyboard is being uses, the OLED is on. I am going to add a toggle. Big time mode is also planned.

1) I kinda would prefer the rotary knob to be blockered out separately and cnced in its won circular spot rather than have a key right below it and in a square cnced spot. Is this possible?

In the new renders, there is no longer a square CNCed spot. I've said that the keyboard shown was a prototype, and also talked about the changes in the first few posts. I've also mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Offline lac29

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 13:14:33 »
Knurled knob?

Offline mpaarating

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 14:12:08 »
Unf this board looks amazing. Can't wait to see the continued progress.

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 15:10:19 »
Wow, really nice board  !  :D

Will you have a prototype to check that the navy blue matches Calm Depths well ? If so, consider me in !

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 18:39:51 »
Really digging this -- the knob, OLED, and space between the right column and the main cluster are all excellent. Not sure if I can pull together the funds for it, but if not I'll be vicariously living through you all. I think a smaller chamfer might look nice, but I appreciate the aesthetic either way.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline KevlarBear

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 02:11:44 »
Never have I wanted an IC to go into GB phase more than this, it looks absolutely incredible!

Offline KeyCap75

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 04:44:12 »
Wow! Very nice board!
If the PCB can support ISO (plus extra plate or platefiles) this would be my endgame-keyboard!  ;D

Offline Asbrodeus

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 08:11:11 »
will there be an option for PVD colored brass or ano aluminum plates?

Offline madkat13

• h
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 10:21:38 »
Is there a plan to get Bluetooth?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Offline upas

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 10:48:42 »
will there be an option for PVD colored brass or ano aluminum plates?

Nope, in order to maintain sanity, this will just be offered with brass plates (and FR4). Maybe two colors (gold, silver) but nothing else.
Plate files will be released for those who want others.

Wow! Very nice board!
If the PCB can support ISO (plus extra plate or platefiles) this would be my endgame-keyboard!  ;D

ISO will be supported on the PCB. Plate files will be released.

Is there a plan to get Bluetooth?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

No plans for bluetooth.

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 19:22:50 »

g502! love that feature. Also, lets hope this goes better than that Leeku75% lol. Remember that thing?

Offline upas

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 22:22:11 »
To all my EU friends:

I made an update to the PCB, take a look:

So the PCB will have ISO :)

Offline KeyCap75

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 01:25:30 »
 :eek: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D

this is ISO Enter, right?
Will there also be ISO split left shift? Pleeeeeease!!! :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 January 2019, 01:30:08 by KeyCap75 »

Offline Anaconda

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 09:59:18 »
You added a split left shift(1.25/1u) as well? that is how 99% of iso layouts are setup. Otherwise looks great!

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 13:15:09 »
To all my EU friends:

I made an update to the PCB, take a look:
Show Image

So the PCB will have ISO :)

Awesome Upas.. really looking forward to the GB

Offline upas

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 13:56:05 »
You added a split left shift(1.25/1u) as well? that is how 99% of iso layouts are setup. Otherwise looks great!

:eek: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D

this is ISO Enter, right?
Will there also be ISO split left shift? Pleeeeeease!!! :D

Yes, of course! Haha, enter was just more annoying to do and route.

Offline JPVann

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 19:01:48 »
Love this design with the encoder.  Per other suggestions - can't you just ELIMINATE the Print Screen?  Is that really even really used anymore?  This would give you dedicated free space for the encoder.

Offline rondg

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 19:07:40 »
Love this design with the encoder.  Per other suggestions - can't you just ELIMINATE the Print Screen?  Is that really even really used anymore?  This would give you dedicated free space for the encoder.

I use the print screen.. A lot! But since this is going to be QMK, we can just map the keys to what we want.

Offline upas

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 22:58:11 »
Hi everyone,

Inspired by Windeh, I decided to check out the displacement of my plate based on a consistent force.
Here are the results: https://imgur.com/a/E2ctUR3

These are imperfect - while I did mount my plate to the case (unlike Windeh), I did not account for O rings, PCB, or switches. Those would change these potentially a lot. But this is a good starting point.

Based on my experimentation, I decided to add a meme cut similar to the Windeh cut in order to make the force on each side of the spacebar more consistent. This should help achieve consistent acoustics from the spacebar, as well as making it less stiff.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 09:05:38 »
Hi everyone,

Inspired by Windeh, I decided to check out the displacement of my plate based on a consistent force.
Here are the results: https://imgur.com/a/E2ctUR3

These are imperfect - while I did mount my plate to the case (unlike Windeh), I did not account for O rings, PCB, or switches. Those would change these potentially a lot. But this is a good starting point.

Based on my experimentation, I decided to add a meme cut similar to the Windeh cut in order to make the force on each side of the spacebar more consistent. This should help achieve consistent acoustics from the spacebar, as well as making it less stiff.

Wow that's super interesting! I presume you want as much the same color around all the keys as you can within reason - any way to do a tiny cutout around the center mount?

Offline 112227

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 10:56:16 »
Can't say no to this board. Amazing job.

Offline upas

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 17:39:19 »
My round 2 prototype 3d printed rough case arrived.

I built it out with a revised PCB, and found an error - the knob on the PCB was not mounted in the proper place as I did not measure properly.

This is why prototyping is important :)

After Chinese New Year, I'll be placing an order for the next aluminum prototype. If that works out perfectly, the group buy will start soon after.

I've added pictures of the new prototype to the 2nd post in this thread.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 18:11:23 »
Second proto really getting there upas, great work.

Will the tolerances around the default knob be tighter in the final version (ignoring the off-centering impact) - ie about the same gap as with the keycaps?

Offline HTN47

• Mr. SoCal
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 18:45:33 »
 :eek: :eek:
Gawd damn!!
This is gonna be my final board for sure  :thumb:
What is love.... Baby don't hurt me... No more!!

Offline upas

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 20:59:49 »
Second proto really getting there upas, great work.

Will the tolerances around the default knob be tighter in the final version (ignoring the off-centering impact) - ie about the same gap as with the keycaps?

Yep - that's exactly the intent. I actually have a smaller knob on this one than the actual knobs I'm going to use for the GB, because the nice knobs don't fit with the off-center issue.

Offline KevlarBear

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 21:48:11 »
Do you have any prototypes of the knobs that that you'll be using?

Offline upas

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 22:26:04 »

I've bought a whole bunch of knobs.

Though I am working on custom knobs, I am not going to delay the GB if they aren't ready in time.

I'll have pictures of the knob options when I start the GB.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 February 2019, 22:30:51 by upas »

Offline swangful

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 01:00:42 »

Though I am working on custom knobs, I am not going to delay the GB if they aren't ready in time.

Any timelines on when this GB will get going? :D

Offline ian13

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 06:20:59 »
Eagerly waiting for this. I don’t mind the long wait for as long as every detail is being considered :)
Do you have any update on the other color options that you plan to include? Will e-white be offered?
Also, any ballpark on when the GB will go live? Q2? Q3?
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2019, 08:58:15 by ian13 »

Offline upas

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 12:58:00 »

Any timelines on when this GB will get going? :D

Eagerly waiting for this. I don’t mind the long wait for as long as every detail is being considered :)
Do you have any update on the other color options that you plan to include? Will e-white be offered?
Also, any ballpark on when the GB will go live? Q2? Q3?

Hopefully GB will start by late March - hopefully earlier but we'll see.
For now, only navy blue and black are planned. They were the top 2 in IC by far. I'm evaluating some white finishes now, so a white finish may also be offered.

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 11:56:51 »
New renders of the board here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99235.0 look pretty good.

Offline RamenTechMech

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 11:58:43 »
New renders of the board here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99235.0 look pretty good.

Damn that looks good  :p :p :p

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 16:37:58 »
satisfy me

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 22:45:29 »

Upas did a great job with this board and it's looking great in that white finish! That guy's keycaps are looking real sick on it too! Might have to join both GB's  ;)
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 February 2019, 22:47:21 by Rensuya »

Offline fcnchuck

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 00:14:37 »
Will the layout only support WKL or is a WK an option with a shorter space?

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 00:17:08 »
Layout support on first post shows that it will support winkey
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/2156e0dbbaffd0f243269cdfa357e1c9

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 05:06:54 »

Upas did a great job with this board and it's looking great in that white finish! That guy's keycaps are looking real sick on it too! Might have to join both GB's  ;)

I mean...I hope you join your own GB!  :p

Offline rooski15

« Reply #147 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 19:30:13 »
Loving the concept so far - looking forward to GB launch!

Offline upas

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 20:29:48 »
Hey guys I wanted to show off some new encoder/OLED features:

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 22:53:01 »
Very cool!  Awesome that you're incorporating input from the community  :thumb: looking forward to the GB.  I'm definitely in for one.