Author Topic: GON's KeyboardWorks - Questions and Answers  (Read 398967 times)

Offline Protoype

Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #1000 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 18:10:08 »
Hi,

What is the current lead time when just ording parts from Gon? Was just after a NerD60 PCB / Plate and Diodes?

Also does the NerD60 support RGB leds?

Kind regards.
No place like 127.0.0.1

Offline litesung

« Reply #1001 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 01:54:08 »
Hello, what's the difference between the Nerd TKL Ver2.0 PCB w/Full SMT and the regular version?

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/pcbs-and-controllers/60-nerd-tkl-ver20-pcb.html
http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/pcbs-and-controllers/150-nerd-tkl-ver20-pcb-w-full-smt.html

Will you be supplying Zealios switches as an option in the future?

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1002 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 09:11:31 »
Hello, what's the difference between the Nerd TKL Ver2.0 PCB w/Full SMT and the regular version?

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/pcbs-and-controllers/60-nerd-tkl-ver20-pcb.html
http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/pcbs-and-controllers/150-nerd-tkl-ver20-pcb-w-full-smt.html

Will you be supplying Zealios switches as an option in the future?

Nerd TKL Ver2.0 PCB w/Full SMT comes with full SMT pre-soldered.

Also this is written,
This special offer product will go into production in Jan and will be shipped in late Jan or in Feb.
I wouldn't expect it till march. if it comes early then great, if not then don't sweat it. It'll come.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline chilldude_22

• Official streetman
« Reply #1003 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 10:50:27 »
Hi,

What is the current lead time when just ording parts from Gon? Was just after a NerD60 PCB / Plate and Diodes?

Also does the NerD60 support RGB leds?

Kind regards.

I can't speak for Gon, but I just ordered a case + a bunch of feet/screws + NerD60 PCB and I got my shipment in about two weeks.

The NerD PCBs don't support controllable RGB LEDs.

Offline catdogpaw

« Reply #1004 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 20:13:01 »
I had a specific question—I got a GON Nerd 60% from someone on reddit, but I want to use it on a mac (Mavericks). Problem is, the keyboard is not correctly recognized. Left and Right modifiers don't work, along with a few other keys like delete and tab.

If I reboot with the keyboard plugged in, the computer boots into safe mode and then all the keys work correctly. It keeps working until I keep the computer in safe mode. If I restart into normal mode, keyboard lapses into weird behavior once again. Fixed when re-rebooted into safe mode.

In sum, works only when mac is in safe mode.

Is this a known problem? Any way to fix this at all? Any help would be appreciated!

Offline yobinad

« Reply #1005 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 04:30:01 »
I have a NerD60 connected to my iMac and it works fine.

Does yours work on a windows machine?

Offline catdogpaw

« Reply #1006 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 14:29:26 »
I have a NerD60 connected to my iMac and it works fine.

Does yours work on a windows machine?

Thanks. I just checked on a windows machine (took some doing to find one) and it works fine after the driver downloads etc (I am somewhat ignorant about windows OS post win2k or so). I also flashed the firmware on the keyboard while I was at it (showed "success") but still not working correctly on my mba. :(

Offline litesung

« Reply #1007 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 18:26:56 »
Gon, do you plan to support zealios switches in the future and rgb led programming?

Offline chilldude_22

• Official streetman
« Reply #1008 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 08:08:04 »
Gon, do you plan to support zealios switches in the future and rgb led programming?

Gon hasn't posted on GH since January. You could order a PCB with diodes and resistors pre-soldered, then solder the Zealio switches yourself. It's really very simple. Assembling your own board is more fun anyway, and your order will get to you much more quickly.

Offline beckshl

« Reply #1009 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 21:45:06 »
If I just order only a housing, will it be delayed?

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #1010 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 06:46:12 »

Gon hasn't posted on GH since January. You could order a PCB with diodes and resistors pre-soldered, then solder the Zealio switches yourself. It's really very simple. Assembling your own board is more fun anyway, and your order will get to you much more quickly.

I guess what he meant was if it will supp the 4 pin RGB leds.
So far, the current pcb doesn't. Who knows, if GON will release a revised one in the future but that's a long shot for now.
He's so so busy.  :'(
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline beckshl

« Reply #1011 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 09:52:38 »
Hi,

I think I need to visit GH... but I'm afraid I don't have enough time to answer all the questions there....
It will take so much time and will take me time to complete assembly orders....

I'm trying my best to spare time to finish assembly....

38GT PCB does not officially support Side LEDs.
I once assembled 38GT /w side LEDs... but they are not perfect as NerD 60....

Thanks,
GON

GON just replied me that. So dont worry, we will receive our stuff soon

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1012 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 07:18:12 »
Ns nerd tkl pcb mounted or plate mounted?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1013 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 00:00:08 »
Ns nerd tkl pcb mounted or plate mounted?

Both switch types are compatible but it is plate mounted... (the PCB will have cut outs for PCB mount switches).
I love Elzy

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #1014 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 10:53:23 »
Is there a way to make the FN keys not lock on double tap? Basically only if I'm holding it

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1015 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 12:31:31 »
Is there a way to make the FN keys not lock on double tap? Basically only if I'm holding it

yes, look for Fn1/2 (No Lock)
I love Elzy

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1016 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 12:32:42 »

I think he just desire it not no lock when double tapping, I find it a bit annoying too.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1017 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 12:34:15 »

I think he just desire it not no lock when double tapping, I find it a bit annoying too.

Yeah... there's an option for a Non locking FN key it's literally called "FN1 No Lock"
I love Elzy

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1018 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 12:41:17 »

Yeah... there's an option for a Non locking FN key it's literally called "FN1 No Lock"

Tested, it works.

Always though this key was to unlock the fn locking.

TIL.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline chilldude_22

• Official streetman
« Reply #1019 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 08:53:51 »
Switched my LED colors (I have SIP sockets installed) and the LEDs on my bottom-row mods aren't working anymore. Anybody got an idea?

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1020 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 09:43:15 »
Switched my LED colors (I have SIP sockets installed) and the LEDs on my bottom-row mods aren't working anymore. Anybody got an idea?

Sry to ask the obvious question but did you check the polarity?
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline chilldude_22

• Official streetman
« Reply #1021 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 09:59:56 »

Yeah, they were working prior to when I switched the LEDs. To be clear, I only switched the LEDs on the alphas.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #1022 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 10:59:42 »

Yeah, they were working prior to when I switched the LEDs. To be clear, I only switched the LEDs on the alphas.

What color were the old ones and what color were the new ones?  Different colors of LED's sometimes require different voltages.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline chilldude_22

• Official streetman
« Reply #1023 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 11:31:50 »

What color were the old ones and what color were the new ones?  Different colors of LED's sometimes require different voltages.

Thought of that too, weird that only a few would quit working though. Old ones were white, new ones are a sort of Cyan.

Offline girds

« Reply #1024 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 18:33:59 »
what is the preferred option for tuning of the springs on the cherry brown? i was thinking of just going the stock spring but getting it lubricated and stickered.

also with the side led's can you mix colours so they form a different tone of colour and brightness?. Would love to mix either white/blue, white/red or white/purple to give it a brighter cleaner colour or would it just turn out looking patchy around keyboard?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1025 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 01:00:35 »
what is the preferred option for tuning of the springs on the cherry brown? i was thinking of just going the stock spring but getting it lubricated and stickered.

also with the side led's can you mix colours so they form a different tone of colour and brightness?. Would love to mix either white/blue, white/red or white/purple to give it a brighter cleaner colour or would it just turn out looking patchy around keyboard?

Probably stock springs. 62g works too... but for browns typically people run stock.

Also I never thought of doing that smd thing but I don't think it would diffuse well and would probably be patchy, at least if you plan to alternate them.
I love Elzy

Offline chilldude_22

• Official streetman
« Reply #1026 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 23:13:07 »
In case anybody was curious, solved my issue... I'm using a WKL layout, so the + and - are reversed. Just needed to flip the LEDs around.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1027 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 02:53:50 »
I wanted to ask about the acrylic case, what is the counter sink , and can i have the sample for the clear and semi clear or other colors? Peace

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1028 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 16:36:20 »

In case anybody was curious, solved my issue... I'm using a WKL layout, so the + and - are reversed. Just needed to flip the LEDs around.

Ah, the age-old polarity problem strikes again!  Glad you exorcised it.
I'm back.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1029 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 16:37:04 »
Hey does anyone know if GON's Bluetooth module works with the CtrlAlt60 pcb?
I'm back.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1030 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 16:47:28 »
Hey does anyone know if GON's Bluetooth module works with the CtrlAlt60 pcb?

Heya HPS,

From what I understand after PMing Bunny, the CTRL ALT branded NERD 60 PCB is an earlier revision. It doesn't support bluetooth, unfortunately. :(

Offline Sissy

« Reply #1031 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 00:08:05 »
I am fairly new to this sort of thing and a bit unsure what to order for the NerD 60 after the NerD 60 Ver2.0 PCB and the GON NS NerD 60 case and the switches and  Stabilizers.
Should go for the Optional Soldering on the PCB? should I get one of those Universal Frame/Plate for 60%?

last thing is I have no idea about the lighting options with the Electric Parts,, I am unsure what to order and how many should be purchased of everything. I would like every lighting option available to be used

Offline limster

« Reply #1032 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 01:27:48 »
I am fairly new to this sort of thing and a bit unsure what to order for the NerD 60 after the NerD 60 Ver2.0 PCB and the GON NS NerD 60 case and the switches and  Stabilizers.
Should go for the Optional Soldering on the PCB? should I get one of those Universal Frame/Plate for 60%?

last thing is I have no idea about the lighting options with the Electric Parts,, I am unsure what to order and how many should be purchased of everything. I would like every lighting option available to be used

Gon has a rundown of what you'll need. (http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/manuals/144-parts-needed-for-kbd-assembly.html)

• The optional soldering is for stuff that will make the back (underside) and/or side lights work. -if you are committed to lighting everything, things will need to be soldered. I would add the soldering, unless you are a soldering badass (watch a video on surface mount diode soldering, that is what Gon would be doing for you)

• lighting the back (underside) I believe, (someone else please confirm) is only visible if you have the 'Crystal' NS housing.

• i didn't get light with my kb, so i'm not sure how many total LEDs you can install, but it seems like you'll need a matching set of resistors for what ever led lighting you choose.

• the frame/plate is for pairing with your pcb and installing it onto some other 60% case (i.e., Tex aluminum or acrylic), so you won't need it because you are already set on putting it in a GON housing.

If you're gonna go all the way with putting it in a GON case with lighting, and you are not a soldering expert, you may want to consider just buying it assembled. If you have no soldering experience (but wanted to learn) the SMD lighting part may be a bit too much for a beginner.

Offline Dog

• Bark
« Reply #1033 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 14:33:06 »
I just assembled my Nerd 60 with the additional bluetooth module. I got it recognized by my mac, and all the LEDs work. When I turn on the battery, everything works fine. However when I try to use it wired the keyboard keeps powering on and off. Any ideas?

« Last Edit: Sat, 14 November 2015, 14:41:16 by Dog »

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #1034 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 05:59:48 »
Hi, does anyone know what is the thread/screw specs for GON's aluminum feet? I am looking to put them on one of my keyboards, and need to know the right specs.

Also, does anyone know what is the degree of GON's TKL slant?
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2015, 06:03:45 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1035 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 12:38:04 »
I just assembled my Nerd 60 with the additional bluetooth module. I got it recognized by my mac, and all the LEDs work. When I turn on the battery, everything works fine. However when I try to use it wired the keyboard keeps powering on and off. Any ideas?

I was under the impression that the USB is for charging only, not for using.  I am not an expert, but I am going to get the kit and I thought I remembered seeing that in my research.

Hi, does anyone know what is the thread/screw specs for GON's aluminum feet? I am looking to put them on one of my keyboards, and need to know the right specs.

Also, does anyone know what is the degree of GON's TKL slant?

Someone confirmed this a while ago that it is M2. M3 (this page)

Guys, I'm sorry for the following double posts; I think my computer/internet/me is drunk.

Mod Edit: Can confirm; everyone is drunk
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2015, 13:07:26 by HoffmanMyster »
I'm back.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #1036 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 02:48:44 »

Gon has a rundown of what you'll need. (http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/manuals/144-parts-needed-for-kbd-assembly.html)

• The optional soldering is for stuff that will make the back (underside) and/or side lights work. -if you are committed to lighting everything, things will need to be soldered. I would add the soldering, unless you are a soldering badass (watch a video on surface mount diode soldering, that is what Gon would be doing for you)

lighting the back (underside) I believe, (someone else please confirm) is only visible if you have the 'Crystal' NS housing.

• i didn't get light with my kb, so i'm not sure how many total LEDs you can install, but it seems like you'll need a matching set of resistors for what ever led lighting you choose.

• the frame/plate is for pairing with your pcb and installing it onto some other 60% case (i.e., Tex aluminum or acrylic), so you won't need it because you are already set on putting it in a GON housing.

If you're gonna go all the way with putting it in a GON case with lighting, and you are not a soldering expert, you may want to consider just buying it assembled. If you have no soldering experience (but wanted to learn) the SMD lighting part may be a bit too much for a beginner.

I have an acrylic housing and it works as well.
And I guess when you mean underneath, you actually meant side leds?  :)
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline limster

« Reply #1037 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 10:49:54 »
Does anyone know what type of LED is used for the (Capslock) indicator light, or if there is a resistor you need to solder with it?

Offline chilldude_22

• Official streetman
« Reply #1038 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 11:43:32 »
Does anyone know what type of LED is used for the (Capslock) indicator light, or if there is a resistor you need to solder with it?

I've always used a standard 3mm. Don't think a resistor is 100% necessary

Offline iss

« Reply #1039 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 19:05:11 »
How fast does GON ship parts? Just looking to buy some stabilizers and aluminum feet.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1040 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 20:06:16 »
How fast does GON ship parts? Just looking to buy some stabilizers and aluminum feet.

Well, he does sell them on his store, so I'd imagine so.

Offline chilldude_22

• Official streetman
« Reply #1041 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 10:28:48 »

As far as I know the aluminum feet are made to order. So you're still looking at a little lead time. However my last 2 orders have only taken a week

Offline iss

« Reply #1042 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 17:53:01 »

Well, he does sell them on his store, so I'd imagine so.

Yeah, I understand that- just wanted to check if they'd see keyboard-like delays.

As far as I know the aluminum feet are made to order. So you're still looking at a little lead time. However my last 2 orders have only taken a week

Thanks!

Offline GoatMaster

• Formerly Franatic89
« Reply #1043 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 06:16:59 »
I need help.

I can not find this case on the site:

Can anyone help me to find it ?

Offline chilldude_22

• Official streetman
« Reply #1044 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 10:56:33 »
I need help.

I can not find this case on the site:
Show Image

Can anyone help me to find it ?

Looks like the standard NS Nerd 60 case in glossy silver.

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/105-gon-ns-nerd-60-housing-only.html

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1045 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 04:21:06 »

can these be used ? might be useful to solder an rgb strip

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1046 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 14:38:37 »
anyone?

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1047 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:09:39 »
anyone?

First and foremost these are for avr programming, bootloader and firmware. But you can use power for the led strip,(I think)

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #1048 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 13:44:02 »
Show Image

can these be used ? might be useful to solder an rgb strip

if you try this, can you post about it? thanks
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline GoatMaster

• Formerly Franatic89
« Reply #1049 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 04:37:51 »
Is it possible with the NERD60 that I only turn on the led under the ESC key when I have installed led's on all switches ?