Author Topic: My keyboards (graphic intensive thread)  (Read 30996 times)

Offline megnin

• Topre, or not Topre? That is the question.
Re: My keyboards (graphic intensive thread)
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 17:35:08 »
Yeah, I'm a programmer.  Navigating code, copying/cutting/pasting code blocks and sections of text do take some getting used to.  And, it still slows me down a bit, but the trade-off is acceptable to me for the small form factor and the feeling of oneness with Topre rubber.  ;)  I use all three of the HHKBs daily.  Two at work for coding and the other at home for "normal" computing, web browsing and such.

A tenkeyless is pretty small, and I don't have to give up the slightest bit of speed :)

Megnin, tell me how it works having two keyboards at work.  Do you just randomly switch back and forth?  Do you have different keyboards for specific tasks?

Oh, I have two computers / three monitors.  I need lots of screen realestate and I'm usually working on a couple of projects or have Outlook and SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) running on one PC and Visual Studio and Photoshop and a couple of web browsers running on the other PC w/dual monitors.
“The only difference between me and a madman is I'm not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Offline megnin

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 17:40:14 »
A tenkeyless is pretty small, and I don't have to give up the slightest bit of speed :)
Yeah, it's hard to beat a good tenkeyless.  You can't go wrong with either a Filco or a Realforce.  I like the Realforce because, well, Topre, but also it has an embeded tenkey if you need real numpad codes.  You don't have to do any funky stuf to get "Manufacturer" and "Copyright" symbols and such.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 21:41:51 »
Megnin....you know you want to sell me those 87U white keycaps.  Right?
I need to raise some funds for a Large Micarta Sebenza Insingo so I may post a few things in Classified shortly.  The Topre caps are hard to get
Megnin....you know you want to sell me those 87U white keycaps.  Right?
Do you mean the printed ones that were originally one the keyboard or the NIB non-printed ones?

I mean the printed ones.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 01:08:29 »
is the all grey one waterproof?

can't stop watching your collection... I feel less guilty owning just two keyboards :)

Offline megnin

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 06:44:47 »
is the all grey one waterproof?

The all grey one is a Leopold FC700R and yeah, it's spill proof.  The "dust cover" is thin soft rubber that fits over the entire keyboard and snugly over the edge.  It's soft enough to type comfortably through.  I imagine that if the keys were printed you could see the legends through it, but this one has non-printed key caps.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 10:11:24 »
One last keyboard.  It's for programming in binary.  A dip switch on the bottom puts it into "Professional Mode" where the 1 becomes a FN key, then you hit "0" for "0" still and FN-0 for "1".

This is my favorite.

But then I like to use Gmail Tap for sending emails on my Android phone.
"You can tap it in the morning. You can tap it at night. You can tap it in the bathroom."

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/promos/tap/index.html
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 September 2012, 10:18:06 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline megnin

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 15:32:10 »
LOL!  They are all so serious, too.  ;)  My dad was a Radioman in the Navy in the 60s.  He told me how hard it is to learn Morse Code.  Try to remember just three or four letters.  I only remember one, "V".  Hint: Beethoven's Fifth.  ;)

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 15:33:28 »
I only know S-O-S :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 01:22:07 »
The camera work in the first video is particularly smooth (apart from a slight wobble right near the end).

Fantastic!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline megnin

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 08:58:44 »
The camera work in the first video is particularly smooth (apart from a slight wobble right near the end).

Fantastic!
Thanks, but the credit for the smooth video goes to YouTube.  I'm 52 and drink nothing but coffee and alcohol.  All my videos were pretty shaky, sorry about that, but that one was so bad, I guess, that YouTube detected it and automatically fixed it.  When I uploaded the video I got a message saying that YouTube detected a shaky video and did I want to let them fix it.  I turned out looking like the camera was on a skid or track.  I wish it had "fixed" the others as well.  ;)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 09:20:31 »
Thanks, but the credit for the smooth video goes to YouTube.  I'm 52 and drink nothing but coffee and alcohol.

:))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 21:28:20 »
Thanks, but the credit for the smooth video goes to YouTube.  I'm 52 and drink nothing but coffee and alcohol.  All my videos were pretty shaky, sorry about that, but that one was so bad, I guess, that YouTube detected it and automatically fixed it.  When I uploaded the video I got a message saying that YouTube detected a shaky video and did I want to let them fix it.  I turned out looking like the camera was on a skid or track.  I wish it had "fixed" the others as well.  ;)

On a track (or a rail) - yeah, that's exactly what I thought, and my first impression was that you went to so much trouble to make a video of your keyboard, but anyway.

Great pics, great videos, great collection.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline megnin

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 07:45:43 »

..., and my first impression was that you went to so much trouble to make a video of your keyboard, but anyway.

Great pics, great videos, great collection.

Thanks.  :)  Well, it did take my wife and I about six hours to unbox, arrange, photograph and then rebox them all.  Most are still stacked up in my office.  I've been bringing them home a handful at a time. ;)

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 08:05:24 »
You are a god!
Very nice collection, both keyboards and some nice gb sets.

Oh btw, I'm female and we should probably get married and write contract on that if you have an accident I will be owner of your tresure. xD

Offline megnin

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 06:45:16 »
You are a god!

You are the second woman, other than my wife, to say that this week.  No, no, no... I just helped her get her MacBook on another friends Wi-Fi.

Very nice collection, both keyboards and some nice gb sets.

Thank you.  :D

Oh btw, I'm female and we should probably get married and write contract on that if you have an accident I will be owner of your tresure. xD

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 September 2012, 09:32:27 by megnin »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 06:48:36 »
lol.  Of all the things I'd expect to elicit a marriage proposal from a woman, a keyboard collection would probably be near the end of the list.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 12:20:28 »
I'd probably be rocking HHKB's if I weren't coding in Visual Studio all day long. Kinda need the arrow keys for that.

OP: Nice collection. I'd be curious to see what it comes to all priced out (would probably be a little scary).

Offline megnin

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 15:19:21 »
I'd probably be rocking HHKB's if I weren't coding in Visual Studio all day long. Kinda need the arrow keys for that.

OP: Nice collection. I'd be curious to see what it comes to all priced out (would probably be a little scary).
I code in Visual Studio all day long.  It just takes an extra finger on the FN key to use the arrows.  You get use to it.

About $8K I think.  I'm thinking about selling about 80-90% of them.  There are a few I won't sell and then I'm undecided on a few.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 22:13:28 »
About $8K I think.  I'm thinking about selling about 80-90% of them.  There are a few I won't sell and then I'm undecided on a few.

:eek: Sale of the decade

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 09:27:12 »

I code in Visual Studio all day long.  It just takes an extra finger on the FN key to use the arrows.  You get use to it.

but not the bluetooth filco :((

why did i have to find out they made one :(((

i've been searching ever since i found out and now i just wish i never found out lol

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 10:06:08 »
You probably would have to go to Japan for that one, lol.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 10:10:21 »
This is an amazing collection... I'm speechless.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline megnin

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 13:12:44 »
i've been searching ever since i found out and now i just wish i never found out lol

You might have a better chance of getting a cart load of unobtainium drawn by unicorns.  :)) :))

Someone here has modded a HHKB Pro making it Bluetooth.  That's my grail keyboard.   :p

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 13:18:06 »

You might have a better chance of getting a cart load of unobtainium drawn by unicorns.  :)) :))

Someone here has modded a HHKB Pro making it Bluetooth.  That's my grail keyboard.   :p

i saw that, but modifying a $350+ keyboard....  im not so sure i would risk it myself lol

Offline megnin

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 13:26:14 »
I can solder okay, but I wouldn't either.  I'd like to get someone to do it for me though.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 14:43:50 »
this is amazing. i was the one who asked (nay, DEMANDED) these pics, and i'm beyond satisfied :)

one thing i will note though is that you don't have an ssk. i can fix that.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 15:39:18 »

I just got my "first"  :)) HHKB last week and i have to say i am already used to how the arrow keys are and the home/end work. I work a lot in text editors on large files and do light programming (ruby scripts) which require the array keys and home/end and it seems to work out just fine. no complaints on that. what i haven't got used to is the placement for the backslash \ , i use a lot of basic regular expressions and UNC paths and it is really getting annoying that i keep pressing the backspace/delete when i want to type a \ OR |

Offline megnin

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 16:16:16 »
this is amazing. i was the one who asked (nay, DEMANDED) these pics, and i'm beyond satisfied :)

one thing i will note though is that you don't have an ssk. i can fix that.
Oh, I just saw one on eh Bay for a pretty reasonable price.  I'm leaning more towards thinning them out than adding to them lately.  I could use some funds for a home improvement project.  ;)

Offline megnin

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 16:27:51 »
...what i haven't got used to is the placement for the backslash \ , i use a lot of basic regular expressions and UNC paths and it is really getting annoying that i keep pressing the backspace/delete when i want to type a \ OR |

Yes, that's my biggest issue as well.  I do like the Backspace right over the Enter key.  It's a bit closer and easier to hit, but I think I'd prefer to take those three corner keys and "rotate" them one position counter-clockwise.  That would put the Backspace key back up were I was used to it being on a standard keyboard, the backslash "\" back over the Enter key and the ~` key in that spot you can't reach and would never hit anyway. 
Now make it Bluetooth capable and with an embedded number pad like a Realforce TKL and it's the perfect keyboard.  ;)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 02:36:56 »
I'm leaning more towards thinning them out than adding to them lately.  I could use some funds for a home improvement project.  ;)

I can help you getting rid of some Realforce if you want :)

Offline megnin

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 07:16:58 »
I can help you getting rid of some Realforce if you want :)

I need to start listing them in the Classified section.  It's just so hard to start letting them go.  I'll try to start posting them this weekend.   :'(