Author Topic: Sketch-up model of Future Project  (Read 30745 times)

Offline oNinjaDispatcho

Sketch-up model of Future Project
« on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 10:05:16 »
Hi all!
I made a sketch-up of a future QFR project I want to do!
This is all still being adjusted, and I don't own any of the parts yet.

I would love any feedback or suggestions you have! I want this thing to look as good as possible, so if you think something looks bad, let me know!  :)

Top View: I am most likely going to end up getting lettered key caps, as I suck at touch typing, however I was too lazy to put in lettering :rolleyes:. I might implement lettering in sketch-up later.

Side-Front View: I would like a simple graphic on the side, some geometric figures. Maybe not hexagons, but I want to keep it simple.

Front View: I am keeping the front blank, as I don't want to clutter it up too much. Also, it would be covered up by my wrist cushion anyway.

Side-Back View: I put a simple thick stripe on the back connecting the two graphics. This adds contrast while also aiding flow.

Thanks for looking! This is my first post outside the New Members board, and this will be my first build, and first mechanical keyboard! Very excited!!!  :)
QFR Mx Reds

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
Re: Sketch-up model of Future Project
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 10:14:59 »
Good 3d model. What kind of material were you thinking for the case?

I'd personally paint the case blue and add cut vinal for the additional case details.

Offline oNinjaDispatcho

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 10:48:54 »

I'd personally paint the case blue and add cut vinal for the additional case details.

Sorry, I am so new to this. By "material", do you mean what paint type? I was going to just buy some top cases, spray paint them, and do some stencil work for the details. I haven't figured out exactly what paint I want, just the general range of colors I would like to use. It seems like most people on here do spray paint. Do you mean vinyl stencils or vinyl stickers?

Thanks for the feedback. I know I'm a noob  :rolleyes:
QFR Mx Reds

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 14:23:53 »

Yeah, this. And then clearcoat. Also, someone mentioned that matte colors are a lot easier to paint and finish than glossy. Gloss shows up every teeny, tiny little flaw. I put vinyl on my most recent case, and it was tricky getting everything to line up perfectly. Also, don't do what I did, which was wait a single day before putting my vinyl down. It went down very slightly off, I removed it, and there was some residue -- which I then cleaned with Goo-B-Gone, and it muddied up the finish a bit. Let everything dry completely.

Nice design, too -- post your results, good or bad!
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 16:21:35 »
Looks nice! Would be great to have some WebGL enabled in-browser 3D model GH users could have fun with experimenting with different boards, keycap sets, LEDs, etc.

Offline oNinjaDispatcho

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 17:23:54 »
Looks nice! Would be great to have some WebGL enabled in-browser 3D model GH users could have fun with experimenting with different boards, keycap sets, LEDs, etc.

That would be really good. Someone with knowledge of coding should make this happen.  :thumb:

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one using it.
QFR Mx Reds

Offline agent181

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 18:56:34 »
Oh that looks good