Author Topic: Granite QFR Case for Phantom  (Read 21052 times)

Offline awhitedev

Granite QFR Case for Phantom
« on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 14:13:34 »
So I decided to try and use the case from my QFR for my Phantom. It turned out great! I had to make quite a few adjustments to it and I might eventually do a write up if anyone is interested to know exactly how I did this.

I was inspired by the Granite Keycap set that I just recently received from Massdrop. I went to he hardware store and found some textured spray paint that I thought looked a lot like granite.  I had to snip two of the standoffs and use a dremel for sanding / cutting of different areas. (mostly for the media cluster above the arrows) I also had to drill into the plastic with a 1/8 inch drill bit to make room for the LEDs. Although there were quite a few changes I had to make along the way... this is still a QFR case.

84089-0

Offline Geroximo

Re: Granite QFR Case for Phantom
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 10:59:41 »
I like it  :thumb:

Offline audioave10

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 22:12:12 »
Nice! I have a QFR needing a new color.  :thumb:
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 01:40:25 »
WOW that looks really professional!

Offline RavenII

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 21:20:17 »
Perfect!...I've been searching to see if people have put Phantom boards in QFR cases...my question to you is this...how does the USB cable routing fit? Could you possibly take a few shots of it? Thanks!

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 08:36:11 »
Thanks guys!

Perfect!...I've been searching to see if people have put Phantom boards in QFR cases...my question to you is this...how does the USB cable routing fit? Could you possibly take a few shots of it? Thanks!

I had to cut a mini usb cable and solder the ends to the QFR USB board. So the mini usb cable connects to the teensy and the exposed wires are just soldered onto the QFR board. Wasn't too hard to do really and there's plenty of room in the case for everything.

I did notice one small problem with using a Phantom in a QFR case after after about 2 weeks of use. The plate and PCB do move slightly in the case if you travel with the keyboard or hit it hard on your desk. It's a pretty stiff move so it doesn't really bother me too much. I haven't found a good way to screw it to the case in a way where it won't do that. I think the problem is due to the fact that my stainless steel mounting plate is flat and the QFR requires curved edges. If you had the right plate or managed to find a way to use the QFR stock plate you probably wouldn't have a problem. Again, not really an issue that I care about... but it might bug some.

If I get some time here later today I'll take some pics and post them here.

Offline RavenII

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 09:29:10 »
Thanks guys!

I had to cut a mini usb cable and solder the ends to the QFR USB board. So the mini usb cable connects to the teensy and the exposed wires are just soldered onto the QFR board. Wasn't too hard to do really and there's plenty of room in the case for everything.

I did notice one small problem with using a Phantom in a QFR case after after about 2 weeks of use. The plate and PCB do move slightly in the case if you travel with the keyboard or hit it hard on your desk. It's a pretty stiff move so it doesn't really bother me too much. I haven't found a good way to screw it to the case in a way where it won't do that. I think the problem is due to the fact that my stainless steel mounting plate is flat and the QFR requires curved edges. If you had the right plate or managed to find a way to use the QFR stock plate you probably wouldn't have a problem. Again, not really an issue that I care about... but it might bug some.

Thanks for the reply...as for the board moving...maybe some rubber bushing/washers? That'd also help with dampening sound...

As for the plate...you mentioned that it was stainless? Custom? or bought from somewhere?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 09:40:51 »
Seriously impressive work! As a fellow Phantom lover, this is an awesome setup! I love the how well the painted case compliments the Granite keys  :)

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 07:11:19 »
Thanks guys!

Thanks for the reply...as for the board moving...maybe some rubber bushing/washers? That'd also help with dampening sound...

As for the plate...you mentioned that it was stainless? Custom? or bought from somewhere?

That's a good idea. I might try to do something like that if it ever got super annoying. I tried using a post / screw to hold it down but it didn't really work out.

I bought the plate from someone on this forum. It was from strict's group buy. I believe they were CNC cut at a local machine shop.

Seriously impressive work! As a fellow Phantom lover, this is an awesome setup! I love the how well the painted case compliments the Granite keys  :)

Thanks man! Thanks for putting together that phantom plate group buy. It has worked out really well in this build.

Offline lucaslink

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 08:18:17 »
yeah! this is tight! granite on granite!
now where can i get a phantom!? I love the key layout on this. gives me a ton of ideas.
Edit: found it! amazing.
Anyone make pre-fabbed 7bit cases/top plates?

Phantom on the way. Sourced a QFR.
where's our walkthrough, OP? :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2015, 20:12:52 by lucaslink »

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 21:16:33 »
Love it! Nice job. Post more pics  :))

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline just66in

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 09:05:19 »
This is fantastic and I think others like myself could benefit from it. I'm very interested to know exactly how you did it.