Author Topic: Top case more like the K67  (Read 15032 times)

Offline Sendoushi

• Sendoushi . Design & Code
Top case more like the K67
« on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 06:25:20 »
Hey guys!

I'm new to the mechanical keyboard scene, about to buy a Quickfire Rapid I but i really love the top case metal from the K67. I was wondering... anyone already tried to do some kind of a top plate for the QFR?

Offline Findecanor

Re: Top case more like the K67
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 11:20:24 »
K67? You mean Corsair K65? ;) I have not seen any K67 model.

Most mechanical keyboards with Cherry MX switches (and clones) in them have the switches mounted in holes in a metal plate for extra stability and weight. In the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-I and most other keyboards the metal plate is inside between a plastic bottom and a plastic top. In Corsair's keyboards, the plate is the top.

Here's what the Rapid-I looks with the top off. There are holes for plastic posts and screw holes for the top part of the plastic case.
However, if you use it like this then the bottom would fall off when you lift it. Maybe you could modify it with a thin cover plate that would go on top of the existing plate.

If you like red, you could get the Arachnid Recore, which has a red metal plate exposed but is as small as the CM Storm keyboards. I don't think it is available in Portugal, though...

Offline Sendoushi

• Sendoushi . Design & Code
Re: Top case more like the K67
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 19:33:42 »
Yes k65 ehehe.

Already bought one Rapid. That Arachnid would be an option but maybe to ship it to Portugal wouldn't be a great option. Anyhow you kind of gave me an idea... Maybe I could try to make that plate more pleasant and find a way to keep the bottom screwed. Maybe a new thin metal layer? Hm...