Author Topic: DanGWanG on probation...  (Read 23304 times)

Offline WRXChris

DanGWanG on probation...
« on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:23:35 »
I hope it's not a perma-ban, ripster style... we'll miss your drool-worthy pics and your questioning of the threadcrapping policy and such!
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2013, 23:36:26 by mkawa »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: RIP DanGWanG
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:26:31 »
wat?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:27:49 »
That's what I said...

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:28:15 »
are u srs

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
RIP DanGWanG
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:32:41 »
Ban not set to expire. Ban hammer cometh.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:33:51 »
... wat
I love Elzy

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:35:06 »
Ban not set to expire. Ban hammer cometh.

Aye sir, non-expiring ban :'(

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:40:45 »
Wait what?! Why?

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:45:37 »
What happened?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:46:15 »
unpossible... How am I still here.... if he's gone.

pretty sure it's a computer glitch  :))

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:56:08 »

That's the first thing I thought when I saw your name next to this thread
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 02:00:20 »

That's the first thing I thought when I saw your name next to this thread

..can't touch this...

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 02:04:04 »
So where are people seeing this ban? I don't see anything on his profile http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=profile;u=7243

Offline iri

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 02:14:58 »
me too. been watching his classifieds thread recently. may i know the source for this information on his ban?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 02:16:03 »
me too. been watching his classifieds thread recently. may i know the source for this information on his ban?

ta dahh

http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/does-this-make-me-2-ban-on-gh-t5020.html

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 02:27:50 »
He's a master at it.
I love Elzy

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 02:28:08 »
DANBAN
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline iri

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 02:29:38 »
bating  present participle of bate
Verb
(of a hawk) Beat the wings in an attempt to escape from the perch: "the hawks bated when the breeze got in their feathers".

what.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 02:36:44 »
bating  present participle of bate
Verb
(of a hawk) Beat the wings in an attempt to escape from the perch: "the hawks bated when the breeze got in their feathers".

what.

yea his ban says, "bating mod/admin"  was that a typo for 'baiting"

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 02:38:34 »
To be fair his latest posts about how gh mods and admins weren't happy with him for starting the drama regarding his feelings on classifieds threads. Maybe also calling people idiots lol

Offline dirge

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 02:42:17 »
Pretty pathetic, Dan's a good lad.  It took far more for you guys to remove ripster.  Comes across as a personal issue dressed up as 'the rules' whatever the **** they are.

Thing is, things like this cross a line with people, lifting the ban shouldn't be enough the guy's owed an apology.  Or just hide behind your expensive keyboards..
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Nunez

• BACK!
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 02:48:23 »
LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I miss Ripster :(
HHKB Pro 2 || KBC Poker || Filco MJ2

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 02:48:44 »
Pretty pathetic, Dan's a good lad.  It took far more for you guys to remove ripster.  Comes across as a personal issue dressed up as 'the rules' whatever the **** they are.

Thing is, things like this cross a line with people, lifting the ban shouldn't be enough the guy's owed an apology.  Or just hide behind your expensive keyboards..

Does anyone have link to the "fallout"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 03:48:52 »
Ban-GWanG?

Sorry to see it happen - he was full of information on custom keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline limmy

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 04:20:17 »
No way!!! I am mad that this happened. On what grounds? Oh my...

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 04:48:21 »
That was a very lame reason to ban someone. He's a good lad, very helpful and most of all a good bro. Maybe it was a mistake.
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 06:34:36 »
I must say this surprises me,  and I didn't see what happened last night, but there are probably certain things you can PM to a mod that will result in a swift reaction.  Total guess there, but something to consider.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 07:30:02 »
the ****?

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 07:31:41 »
pretty messed up..

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 07:34:52 »
that sucks

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 07:51:05 »
Wait when was this? I just talked to Dan in PM earlier today...

Another troll thread?

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 09:37:37 »

Another troll thread?

I rarely troll and sadly this isnt one of those times.

It happened last night, Dan google im'ed me with the news and I made this thread.  He also posted about it on DT.  Apparently he had a thread in the classifieds that welcomed threadcrapping, some mods took offense to this and overreacted like they frequently do around here.   I mean come on, like tp pointed out, he's still here and dan banned? Does not compute.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 09:46:50 »
I wouldn't have thought that it would be a spur of the moment perma-ban, it is more likely that the mods have been talking about it for a few days and that it is a group decision.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 09:50:16 »
Saw this commin

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 09:59:13 »

Another troll thread?

I rarely troll and sadly this isnt one of those times.

It happened last night, Dan google im'ed me with the news and I made this thread.  He also posted about it on DT.  Apparently he had a thread in the classifieds that welcomed threadcrapping, some mods took offense to this and overreacted like they frequently do around here.   I mean come on, like tp pointed out, he's still here and dan banned? Does not compute.

Shame that mods don't seem to vary much forum to forum :/

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:09:47 »
I believe these are the 2 posts responsible for the ban

----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:11:30 »
I guess it makes more sense to just perma-ban one of the main community guys rather than to take him to one side and talk to him...

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:13:11 »
I believe these are the 2 posts responsible for the ban
Show Image

Show Image

Is that what really warrants a ban around here?  :confused:

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:15:58 »
That's hardly fair, I mean what the hell?
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:18:27 »
GeekHack reserves the right to remove/ban any user, at any time, and for any reason.  A temporary ban of 7 days will follow two warnings for the same type of infraction. Moreover, GeekHack takes no responsibility for the content of any of the messages posted on our Forums or of the authenticity of its authors.  We reserve the right to edit and/or delete any posting for any reason and without prior notification or explanation to the author.  Moderators and Administrators frequently review forum messages for those that are in violation of the rules. Any messages found to be in violation may be deleted without warning or explanation.   And also please refrain from starting a thread or posting about any banned member as it isn't allowed.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:21:59 »
Furthermore (from what jdcarpe just posted) DanGWanG's ban isn't permanent.  It's a temp ban and when we do ban someone, it's usually a collective decision (not a decision of just one person). Also DanGWanG wasn't the only person that was banned yesterday.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:22:26 »
GeekHack reserves the right to remove/ban any user, at any time, and for any reason.  A temporary ban of 7 days will follow two warnings for the same type of infraction. Moreover, GeekHack takes no responsibility for the content of any of the messages posted on our Forums or of the authenticity of its authors.  We reserve the right to edit and/or delete any posting for any reason and without prior notification or explanation to the author.  Moderators and Administrators frequently review forum messages for those that are in violation of the rules. Any messages found to be in violation may be deleted without warning or explanation.   And also please refrain from starting a thread or posting about any banned member as it isn't allowed.

Hiding behind static rules is meaningless when your goal is to build a community and you punnish those who's whole goal is to help provide a good one...

--I don't really know much about this community, but perma-bans and bans like this are what basically destoryed a couple of communites I was in before joining here.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:25:24 by baldgye »

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:25:05 »
to be fair, again i have no beef with DangWang, but honestly if the owners of GH want to run their forums strictly they can.
His threadcrap welcome classified thread is straight up trolling and sticking it to the admins/mods of GH.

He felt passionate regarding threadcrapping and his perceived injustices with the way classified is run, but to just say "f it" and do that is just immaturity imo.

Anyway, in the end GH is a private forum, you aren't given free speech to do whatever you want.  OCN runs their forums in a similar way, people sometime thing OCN mods/admins are too anal, but they do limit the amount of crap that is visible on the forums.  It comes down to what GH wants to represent their forum as.
We are all just users, we use the forum, but we really have no "power" to what the forum owners want to do.

Hiding behind static rules is meaningless when your goal is to build a community and you punnish those who's whole goal is to help provide a good one...

--I don't really know much about this community, but perma-bans and bans like this are what basically destoryed a couple of communites I was in before joining here.
you can argue then ripster's ban was unwarranted either. did he not contribute majority of the wiki info?  Or provide a good amount of resources and information?
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:29:44 by projectD »

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:25:57 »
This is unfortunate, but it's a temporary ban so hopefully he'll be back. I've had many "threadcrappers" in my classifieds thread before, and I don't mind them.

Negative "threadcrapping"
Would help if you actually took pics of the HHKB, along with the "specks of shine". $265 still seems rough for an unknown hours used keyboard w/ " specks of shine"that one could purchase in retail condition for less than $50 more.

Especially since white/PBT does have a tendency less shine, and for one to notice, who knows how bad it really is. God knows how bad that ABS spacebar is....

Positive threadcrapping
Nice price on those A2's I got mine for 200, a few months ago, and they're definitely one of the better pairs of monitor speakers out there, especially for their size.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:31:13 »
This is complete and utter bull****. Also, the rule about not talking about banned members is bull****. This isn't ****ing Nazi Germany in 1937. This is 2013, and I'd like to think we're a bit more advanced as a race than to punish people for mere words.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:32:09 »
This is unfortunate, but it's a temporary ban so hopefully he'll be back. I've had many "threadcrappers" in my classifieds thread before, and I don't mind them.

Would help if you actually took pics of the HHKB, along with the "specks of shine". $265 still seems rough for an unknown hours used keyboard w/ " specks of shine"that one could purchase in retail condition for less than $50 more.

Especially since white/PBT does have a tendency less shine, and for one to notice, who knows how bad it really is. God knows how bad that ABS spacebar is....

Positive threadcrapping
Nice price on those A2's I got mine for 200, a few months ago, and they're definitely one of the better pairs of monitor speakers out there, especially for their size.
i've had them as well, just look at my sell thread and the attacking about selling Bose headsets lol.

This is complete and utter bull****. Also, the rule about not talking about banned members is bull****. This isn't ****ing Nazi Germany in 1937. This is 2013, and I'd like to think we're a bit more advanced as a race than to punish people for mere words.
their forum, their rule
dont' like it, make your own forum (which is how DT came into existence isn't it?)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:36:09 »
to be fair, again i have no beef with DangWang, but honestly if the owners of GH want to run their forums strictly they can.
His threadcrap welcome classified thread is straight up trolling and sticking it to the admins/mods of GH.

He felt passionate regarding threadcrapping and his perceived injustices with the way classified is run, but to just say "f it" and do that is just immaturity imo.

Anyway, in the end GH is a private forum, you aren't given free speech to do whatever you want.  OCN runs their forums in a similar way, people sometime thing OCN mods/admins are too anal, but they do limit the amount of crap that is visible on the forums.  It comes down to what GH wants to represent their forum as.
We are all just users, we use the forum, but we really have no "power" to what the forum owners want to do.

you can argue then ripster's ban was unwarranted either. did he not contribute majority of the wiki info?  Or provide a good amount of resources and information?

I don't know much about Ripster so I don't know... but in the previous forums I've been a member of mod's have treated the biggest contributors the same as spam bots, break the rules get banned... and slowly it just pushed all the good content and posts they where making to other sites and forums... its a bad system that dsnt work.. and the whole our site our rules is fine, but it ****s in the face of making a good community...

but thats just me, and I've yet to meet a mod who agree's

Offline nebo

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:39:27 »

Positive threadcrapping
i've had them as well, just look at my sell thread and the attacking about selling Bose headsets lol.

their forum, their rule
dont' like it, make your own forum (which is how DT came into existence isn't it?)
I understand the whole "their forum" idea but getting rid of community members who bring to the table unique content isn't the best way to keep a good forum. No point having everything look great if there is no content/talk.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:41:43 »
their forum, their rule

While that's a great sentiment in theory, in practice it's not as simple as that. I won't ever proscribe to the idea that one should sit quietly with their mouth shut while others abuse authority, no matter where it happens. That's not how things get better.

Besides, this is a forum after all, which is defined as "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged". My view is that banning Dan for what he did is irresponsible, short-sighted, and immature. Further actions like it will irreparably harm GeekHack and ruin it's reputation and community.