Author Topic: Modded Model F XT  (Read 3422 times)

Offline JP

About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: Modded Model F XT
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 13:59:17 »
Eh, it's still XT layout.  A glow-in-the-dark plate cover doesn't make it worth $230.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline just_add_coffee

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 14:08:01 »
Damn you guys are fast!

Eh, it's still XT layout.  A glow-in-the-dark plate cover doesn't make it worth $230.

No, but the time and effort that I took to do this makes it worth that.  :D

This keyboard is for people who want a badass keyboard, but don't want to do it themselves.  Because they work too much, would rather spend time with their family, or happen to be sane.

And personally, knowing what I know now, I'd rather pay $230 for an amazing buckling spring piece of history than most of the plastic Cherry or glorified rubber dome pieces of **** selling for a hell of a lot more these days.  But that's just like my opinion man. ;D

Offline 7h3_Pr0v010n3

• Gmorning, Gafternoon, Gevening & Gnight! :)
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 14:09:33 »
:eek:
184642-0

Awesome board and love the GID plate!

Edits: Image, Words.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 December 2017, 14:59:12 by 7h3_Pr0v010n3 »

Offline JP

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 14:15:44 »
Also you can tweak the layout somewhat.

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 14:40:41 »
Nice work on that keyboard Nick.  I've seen your boards hit my eBay searches several times in recent months, and you're doing a very professional job.

Btw, that mask for taking photos of shiny things is priceless.  :thumb:

184640-0

Keep up the good work!

Offline just_add_coffee

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 15:08:27 »
Nice work on that keyboard Nick.  I've seen your boards hit my eBay searches several times in recent months, and you're doing a very professional job.

Btw, that mask for taking photos of shiny things is priceless.  :thumb:

(Attachment Link)

Keep up the good work!

What mask?  :p

And thank you very much!  You've been one of my inspirations over the last year or so!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 01:51:57 »
There aren't enough radioactive keebs, IMHO.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 07:25:52 »
Damn you guys are fast!

This keyboard is for people who want a badass keyboard, but don't want to do it themselves.  Because they work too much, would rather spend time with their family, or happen to be sane.

And personally, knowing what I know now, I'd rather pay $230 for an amazing buckling spring piece of history than most of the plastic Cherry or glorified rubber dome pieces of **** selling for a hell of a lot more these days.  But that's just like my opinion man. ;D

Any chance you could let us in on the paint used for the plate? I've had mixed results with GiD painting over the years, but this looks great.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 10:00:04 »
Cool effect, but with all due respect it's still an XT layout. I'd have put the time and effort into an AT board or even a Model F battleship.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline just_add_coffee

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 11:33:46 »
Cool effect, but with all due respect it's still an XT layout. I'd have put the time and effort into an AT board or even a Model F battleship.

I do some of that also.

Really I'm an equal opportunity offender.  :D

I dunno ... the XT layout doesn't bother me too much, and I enjoy the keyfeel with the metal pan and stiffer springs.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 14:22:43 »

I do some of that also.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Really I'm an equal opportunity offender.  :D

I dunno ... the XT layout doesn't bother me too much, and I enjoy the keyfeel with the metal pan and stiffer springs.

Cool stuff. The layout of the XT is a deal breaker for me, and the stiffness of the space bar doesn't help at all.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 04:38:07 »

Great—so the guy who's selling this is either a mass murderer or a Mexican wrestler.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 07:05:40 »
Show Image

Great—so the guy who's selling this is either a mass murderer or a Mexican wrestler.

Offline JP

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 07:25:41 »
I thought it was an illegal Roswell New Mexican alien wrestler.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 22:53:15 »
Damn you guys are fast!

Unique work!  I would normally expect to see something like only if it was specially commissioned for modification.  :thumb:

And the backplate pic explains why all the buckling springs are so superior--alien wrestler technology!!  :eek: