Author Topic: FIRST CUSTOM KEYBOARD- PCB and CASE  (Read 4720 times)

Offline throwaway776

FIRST CUSTOM KEYBOARD- PCB and CASE
« on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 21:29:32 »
Damn if you're looking for a 60% you're in luck. However I really want to build a TKL hot-swappable board. I already have my switches, keycaps and stabs picked out, but I need some help finding a case/plate and PCB. I'm looking for an, preferably grey, aluminum case that's more high profile so that way the keys look like they're sinked it, and I want a TKL PCB that's hotswappable. I'm hoping for an aluminum plate, but I hear brass is good too. I just want that thocky sound and I'm guessing blacks would be the way to go, but I chose gateron red inks.
Is this too much to ask for??
Thank you so much I'm excited for my first custom build!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Re: FIRST CUSTOM KEYBOARD- PCB and CASE
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 10:54:07 »

If u really want something good then don't go w / hotswap

Because hotswap limit ur options a lot :(

U will probably not find things that are in stock . u will have to look for GB or aftermarket ..

Sorry for not helping more :(

! treeleaf ! ! !!!
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Drakenocas

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 01:13:43 »
You could get a KBD 8 MKII and put millmax sockets in it.  Otherwise, there are very few DIY TKLs with hotswap out there at the moment.  There are a few more options at the 75-80% range vs the 85-87% range.

You could get a high profile Drop Ctrl.  Swap stabs and add foam and call it a day. 

XBoW's new Ranger looks nice, but we are in the pretty much prebuilt markets now.

Good luck.

Offline envyy24

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 05:40:24 »
Does it absolutely have to be TKL? Would 84 keys like this work for you, because i think this is a great starter kit (and hw of course)

https://kprepublic.com/collections/pcb/products/keycool-kc84-kit-hot-swappable-mechanical-keyboard-kit-75-84-2-4ghz-2-4g-cable-dual-mode-light-effect-rgb-switch-led-software

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 05:47:04 »
You can get the ID80 by Idobao, which is a budget TKL.

It fits the bill though as it's hot-swap, has a high-profile case, and is available in grey aluminium.

The only downside is that it's got an integrated plate, but it's only $136 right now, so you can't really complain.

« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2020, 05:48:59 by -Jerry- »
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 12:21:49 »
You can get the ID80 by Idobao, which is a budget TKL.

It fits the bill though as it's hot-swap, has a high-profile case, and is available in grey aluminium.

The only downside is that it's got an integrated plate, but it's only $136 right now, so you can't really complain.

Show Image

Is not TKL , is 75%.  Hotswap is rare to find

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 15:12:49 »
Is not TKL , is 75%.  Hotswap is rare to find

*facepalm*

Yes, you're quite right, for some reason my eyes see the separated clusters and think TKL. Still, it might well be as close as they can get for an easily available (non-GB) hot-swap of a similar size. 

There's always the Glorious GMMK Tenkeyless, would set you back about $119, but while hot-swap, is neither aluminium, nor grey.

Honestly, Drakenocas's suggestion is probably the best bet, the KBD8X is a very good value TKL, get that and some milmax sockets and you've got a hotswap TKL, more or less.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Drakenocas

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 02:38:25 »
If you're just wanting a TKL with hot swap off the market.  I'll vouch for the Keychron K8.  79-99 bucks, and you can test all the switches you want on a budget with 5.1 bluetooth. To be honest, My Keychron K6 sounded better out of the box than my DROP ALT after I lubed the stabs and tossed in the switches.  Stay away from the optical, at least for the meanwhile.  They are very, very nice to type on, but you just limit yourself to around 3-5% of the switches on the market. You definitely want a cheap hot swap to test switches, size and price doesn't matter. You just don't want to be hot swapping a 300+ driver frequently unless you're capable of reapplying hotswap sockets.  On another note, it's often better on your sockets to pull out the PCB and push the switches out through the back instead of pulling up on them in your main driver.  I wish someone had told me that at some point.

I think KBDfans will start offering the 8X MII in a hot swap option, if not by the next run, I would bet money on the following run. They've converted the rest of their bestsellers into having hot swap option. I don't don't see them stopping with 8 since dozens are asking them for it in the forums and on their Discord.  I guess it depends on if you're willing to give it about 6 more months, give or take.  You're going to have about 375-500 dollars in it by the time you get it build, so you may as well have what you want. If you're worried about the price, unless the r/mechmarket crashes, you can typically get most of that back, sometimes even make a slight profit if it isn't working out for you.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 10:45:29 »
There is options from the   
Chinese market

But they are hard to get ahold of if you are not
In China

~ Tree leaves ~~

Offline Drakenocas

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 01:34:39 »
https://drop.com/buy/heavy-shell-barix-tkl-rgb-hot-swappable-mechanical-keyboard/talk#discussions

This is on sale on Drop right now.  Everyone seems to be going crazy for it. 

It is made out of stainless steel, has an aluminum plate (from my guess), weighs in at around 4 pounds, has south facing lights, comes with a nice looking case, hot swap, 3 pin, ect.

The only thing holding me off from buying one is that it doesn't have QMK or VIA support, but if that doesn't bother you, then it doesn't look like a bad piece of hardware to pretty up with some nice keycaps and some Holy Panda.   

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 17:38:53 »
I would see what the   mounting style  is ,because that definitely influences how much I like keyboard for me :)

~leaves~

Offline Drakenocas

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 01:00:38 »
3 pin plate mount.