Author Topic: Ebay, refurbished item vendors, etc.  (Read 5787 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Ebay, refurbished item vendors, etc.
« on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 05:43:57 »
It is simply amazing to me the prices some of the classic keyboards and pointing devices are going for on Ebay and via vendors such as clickykeyboards.  There are some deals to be had on occasion, (my recent purchase of 4 Cherry 4100's for $20, for example) but for the most part, people are getting raped.  

I certainly understand the appeal (most, if not all of us here do).  But I fear that many of these folk are overpaying simply because they do not know of the options available to them.  There are so many great newly-available options to choose from...and at reasonable prices.  Sure, you can overpay for new items as well (Das Keyboard, Matias Tactile Pro, HHKB Pro, etc)...and some of us choose to do so based on wanting a specific keyboard.  But, there are many outstanding keyboards available, for new, in the sub-$100 range.

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 07:25:45 »
Even though I've used a fair few hand-me-downs with embedded dust, crumbs and dandruff at work without too much revulsion... I don't want to buy used input devices.

Offline iMav

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 07:32:45 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o
Even though I've used a fair few hand-me-downs with embedded dust, crumbs and dandruff at work without too much revulsion... I don't want to buy used input devices.

I don't even like hand-me-down chairs...let alone something I will have bare hands on all day.  At the very least, if something is used, it should be cleaned THROUGHLY... (and then I just pretend it is new so I can sleep at night)  :)

As is detailed in our Keyboards forum, there are new options available whether you like buckling-springs, Cherry switches, Alps sliders, etc.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 09:51:29 »
But you have to take into consideration that some of the new stock has been sitting a warehouse for god knows how long, and from my days working in factories, I can tell you that stock is not always treated well.

And the thing about 20 year old keyboards is that, since I am typing on one right now, they can be cleaned up and they can work as well they did in '86. I am starting to think this keyboard will out live me. But if it doesn't, I don't know if I could even get this one fixed any where since it is so rare.

Offline iMav

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 10:12:09 »
My point is not that the vintage keyboards are of dubious quality; the complete opposite is true...many of them may, as you say, long outlive us!  I'm simply saying that people are being overcharged for these "vintage" items.  Why pay (as I saw recently on Ebay) $120 for an older PS/2 "hacker style" (taken from the listing) Cherry 4100 when you can buy a NEW USB one for half that?  Or, in my case, $130 for a Model M mini when Unicomp will put one together for half that price?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 10:21:21 »
Point taken and I agree with you. I have overpaid for keyboards in the past, though not quite to that extent. What I find unforgivable is when a keyboard is called clicky on Ebay just because it is big, old and ugly, but to the informed eye, we know that the "clicky" keyboard in their listing really just has membrane switches. I recently saw a brand new IBM space saver, the thin black one with the pointing nub, listed on Ebay as "clicky." Talk about preying on the ill-informed.

I even saw a listing (long ago) for a "wireless clicky keyboard." What did it run the switches on, 4 D batteries?

Offline iMav

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 11:04:04 »
Quote from: xsphat
I even saw a listing (long ago) for a "wireless clicky keyboard." What did it run the switches on, 4 D batteries?

Man.  How sweet would THAT be??   :wink:

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 12:53:18 »
Not very.

Offline SigonLegacy

• http://www.sigonlegacy.com
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 20:51:34 »
You just have to sit and wait for a good deal to come up. That Alps switch Dell I got was only 20 bucks after shipping and insurance. With a good dousing of alcohol, it looks new (except the worn keys). I've also scored an IBM PC/AT keyboard, the one with the F keys off to the left and no toggle LEDs, for cheap. Too bad I broke that one.