Author Topic: Which text editor do you use and why?  (Read 53515 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: Which text editor do you use and why?
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 04:18:41 »
There are some rare programs that when you jump a "page" (which is smaller than a full page), draws a line indicating where the viewport's border was before the jump. But the line does not remain - it fades away after a second or two.

Interesting. The Amiga explanation is great too (oh I miss those Amiga days).

Of course in Emacs everything is configurable so any behavior can be configured. For example there's even a "smooth scrolling" option that scrolls like some old editors used to do (don't remember which one but Sublime scrolls like that): basically like when you scroll up and down in a webpage... Instead of "jumping at once", the thing "scrolls": complete with progressive acceleration and deceleration. And it's not just a fake smooth-scrolling using line by line scrolling: it's moving vertically by "pixels", not whole lines. In Emacs the package is called sublimity and sublimity-scroll.

See.. that's what I mean. Imagine the possibilities with emacs. And the configurability. Finally I could have open all temp buffers in or below the same window as opposed to at the bottom of the whole application window. I would be sooo happy if that was possible.

I like to do everything in and around the window I am looking at, which prevents me moving my covert focus with my eyes all the time.

Let's say I want to open another file (vim CtrlP). I create new window first, then in that window I want to load a file into a buffer and show it in that window. So I want to have fuzzy completing in that window or split up the same window area in 2/3 content and 1/3 for the temp buffer to show the fuzzy completion.

Likewise, when I do linting, I want the suggestions around the current window where I am already looking. Vim just has 1 place for temp buffer for ALL open buffers, which is below and above the statusbar / commandline. It can get very confusing if you have a large screen and 6 windows open.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 20:52:50 »
I use BBEdit on Mac now since TextWrangler was discontinued.

BBEdit 12 was recently released, with a default dark theme.

I kinda like dark themes, so this sits well with me.

I used bbedit on macos 7/8. Aahh.. the nostalgia.

I didn't know it has been around for that long!

When I switched to Mac at home and eventually at work I was looking for a (free) text editor similar to ConTEXT under Windows.  TextWrangler by the same company as BBEdit was the result.  Now that has been mothballed so I switched to BBEdit.

But still use vim in a terminal because it starts quicker and I can do quite a few things quicker with vim shortcuts than the sometimes-abominable cmd-opt-shift-ctrl key combinations.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 22:08:49 »
This thread was made for me. I know its been said before but... emacs 100%.  I could go on about its amazing uses, but instead I'll sum up my editors in one photo.

Everyone I work with thinks I'm nuts, and should switch to Sublime to net beans/jet brains/or whatever...  but I couldn't imagine developing outside of my emacs config.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Altis

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 15:00:56 »
This thread was made for me. I know its been said before but... emacs 100%.  I could go on about its amazing uses, but instead I'll sum up my editors in one photo.

Show Image

Everyone I work with thinks I'm nuts, and should switch to Sublime to net beans/jet brains/or whatever...  but I couldn't imagine developing outside of my emacs config.

The thing that keeps me away from emacs, speaking as a novice, is that it seems like it's both complicated to learn and requires a lot of setup to make it great (though that requires learning first).
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 15:08:06 »

Show Image

The thing that keeps me away from emacs, speaking as a novice, is that it seems like it's both complicated to learn and requires a lot of setup to make it great (though that requires learning first).

I would call myself a *nix ricer, so the ability to write list to customize my editor really enticed me. I started with a tiny config, taking my few preferences into consideration. But, over the years, my config has grown and grown. The reason I recommend it to folks is that it gives you the ability to start small and slow. Sure there are a few things you have to learn; but, believe it or not, there was a time in your life where you had to learn C-c and C-v also. I wouldn't say that basic usage has a steep learning curve; instead I would say that it has a steep re-learning curve. For a lot of people that's undesirable.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 14:11:58 »

Show Image

so VIM is still the best text editor?   ;)

Offline iri

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 16:58:17 »

Show Image

Of course.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 17:08:18 »

Show Image

Of course.

I take "basic text editor" to mean "on the fly edits in a remote environment". I would say that emacs is beyond a basic editor. But yeah, vim is hot for some good ole' config tweaks imo.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 19:59:53 »

Show Image

Of course.

I take "basic text editor" to mean "on the fly edits in a remote environment". I would say that emacs is beyond a basic editor. But yeah, vim is hot for some good ole' config tweaks imo.

Emacs can still be used as a basic text editor.

But Vim is usually installed on more out-of-the-box systems than emacs.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #159 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 13:15:41 »
I used a lot of text editors over time, including EditPad Lite, GVim and Notepad++. As I am currently owning a couple of Unix, BSD and Windows machines and one Linux laptop, I try to keep the overhead low though, so I have mostly settled to what works everywhere:

• For development, I surely prefer GNU Emacs. I have adjusted it to my needs over the past few years and it is what I would call the perfect IDE now.
  • For note-taking, I usually use either acme2k or Notepad (resp. whatever the current system offers). I'm gradually replacing the latter by micro though.

There is nothing else to do with a text editor for me.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline haanuman

« Reply #160 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 12:15:27 »
Mostly Notepad++

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 11:56:57 »
The text editor that i use is notepad.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:17:55 »
Recently added nerdtree to the vim folder.  I might keep this one around for a while--referencing directory structures at a glance is a nice feature

• actually, this guy
« Reply #163 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:19:43 »
Life is too short for Vim.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:31:54 »
Vim: It's like multiple space themed Lego sets blended into one mega set, but it's actually a basic text editor that can sometimes be a fully fledged IDE.

Instead of ordering a pizza you take a few chemistry classes to make the perfect ingredients.  Sometimes things blow up.  It's fun.

Offline vegs

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 04:36:11 »
Vim and Sublime :thumb:
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 11:20:15 »
I use BBSubVIMe++ :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 20:03:30 »
I've been evaluating Sublime Text recently (on macOS).

It seems reasonable, but suffers the two issues that most modern editors have - an overly complex multi-step find dialog, and moving to the start of the next word actually moves to the end of the current word.

The first issue is an inconvenience, the second one throws out my auto-pilot code navigation techniques nearly every time.

Often I just open iTerm2 and start vim instead.

One day I might get around to writing my own editor.  Again.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 11:28:43 »
I've been evaluating Sublime Text recently (on macOS).

It seems reasonable, but suffers the two issues that most modern editors have - an overly complex multi-step find dialog, and moving to the start of the next word actually moves to the end of the current word.

The first issue is an inconvenience, the second one throws out my auto-pilot code navigation techniques nearly every time.

Often I just open iTerm2 and start vim instead.

One day I might get around to writing my own editor.  Again.

Have you tried the Vintage Mode plugin for Sublime? It gives you vi commands and movement. I've only used it a little bit, but worked fairly well when I tried.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 11:32:54 »
Spacemacs. Been using it for about a year now. I use it for all my note-taking for classes using Org mode, and then I used it for a bit during my Python class. It just werks.

Offline iri

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 17:21:18 »
try/catch in imports? what the ****
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

• actually, this guy
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 17:22:14 »
Just Pythoneers being Pythoneers.

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #172 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 18:39:30 »
Visual Studio Code these days, though I've enjoyed using Sublime Text in the past.

Been getting back to learning to code and all and taking some classes I've been in more seriously.
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline Flame

« Reply #173 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 12:21:15 »
BBEdit on Mac & Notepad++ on Windows. I use these because they are extremely easy to use and to modify code on. They have all the features I require in a text editor as well!

Offline voight-kampff

« Reply #174 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 12:53:05 »
I use textmate. It is not opensource, but it is fast.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 20:58:02 »
try/catch in imports? what the ****

Python 2/3 compatibility trick - try to import the Python 3 library.  if that fails, go for the Python 2 version.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 21:39:05 »
As a long time Emacs user.... it pains me to say this, but I've fallen for the JetBrains suite (more specifically GoLand) with Vim bindings. It's feature rich but isn't in your face. It works out of the box, but lets me tweak. It's the Apple of IDEs... and I like it. They've been around a while, so I may be way behind the curve.

Offline iri

« Reply #177 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 15:43:25 »
JetBrains are much better than Apple.

-Ray Bradbury

• actually, this guy
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 15:45:24 »
Show me the JetBrains smartphone.

Offline iri

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 15:50:57 »
I can show you my arse.

-Ray Bradbury

• actually, this guy
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 15:52:13 »
That's probably roughly similar to a hypothetical JetBrains smartphone. Including the smell.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #181 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 21:59:14 »
I can show you my arse.

+1 for spelling it "arse" and not "ass" :D

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 11:02:56 »
Sublime user here with MANY custom packages and options.

Custom fonts : Profont or Firacode (with ligatures now supported)
Color highlighter
Markdown preview synchronised with the browser
Custom extension icon on the sidebar
Linters
Custom theme made with some theme editor package
Custom keymap…

I can’t find another editor fast and customisable as Sublime for « my uses ».

Also my settings are versionned here :
https://framagit.org/4sStylZ/SublimeText3Settings

So I reinstal a desktop, I clone my settings and automaticly all the packages reinstall themselves like robots who builds some others robots…
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 11:53:13 »
emacs and eclipse   :cool:
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline JP

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 15:08:10 »
I use vi while walking uphill, both ways in the snow.  :thumb:
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 15:15:23 »
Everytime I use Nano to enable wifi for a new system I leave behind at least one :wq

Sometimes echo is not enough.  Am now broken

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 22:02:23 »
Losing affection for Sublime Text due to inconsistent text selection.

If I try to select a line, sometimes it selects only up to the last character instead of the whole line (move cursor to beginning of line, hold Shift, press down arrow - should select the whole line).

Also sometimes it selects, for an unknown reason, a whole block of text instead of one line.

Plus it indents things all over the place when I do not want it to.

And the find mechanism is a pain sometimes - the number of times I search for something, look in the code where the text was found (and is highlighted) and start typing, assuming the cursor is where the highlighted text is, but no, the cursor is still in the find field, so half the time the editor suddenly jumps somewhere else where it found whatever I had started typing.

Also why do most modern text editors move to the end of the current word instead of the beginning of the next word when you ctrl-rightarrow (or opt-right arrow on Mac)?  I usually end up ctrl-rightarrow (or opt-rightarrow) again, then ctrl/opt-leftarrow to go back where I wanted, which only works as expected sometimes due to varying interpretation of what constitutes a "word".

Grrr.

Offline JP

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 07:04:11 »
Actually I like nano for quick config changes but 95% of the time I am in Windows. I really like VS Code and still use Notepad++ for certain things out of habit. I even use regular MS notepad still for taking notes although I should really be using Onenote for that kind of stuff.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ollir_

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 13:14:06 »
Depends a little on what I'm doing but it's one of

• Vim (gvim)
  • VSCode (with VsVim)
  • Emacs (with evil)

Vim is great for fast little edits - config files etc. I used it for programming, but I've mostly switched to VSCode in that front now, the editor has become quite pleasant to work with and it 'just works' most of the time. For Haskell I still prefer Emacs though.