Author Topic: Keycaps made with Pottery Clay  (Read 6628 times)

Offline ju6ju8Oo

Keycaps made with Pottery Clay
« on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 10:15:00 »
Keycaps made with Pottery Clay, anyone tried?

Offline jmg123

Re: Keycaps made with Pottery Clay
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 13:52:58 »
No, but i do make quite a bit with clay. The problem i forsee is the uneven 5 to to 10% shrinkage you get when firing. It would probably be best to make a large enough hole on the underside of the ceramic key to be able to take a stem cut off a plastic key. That way you could glue the plastic stem into the ceramic key and make sure you get a good fit to the switch.

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 21:06:12 »
a plastic stem sounds like a good plan!

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 18:15:00 »
I haven't personally tried that, I use super sculpy medium for all the stuff I work on. I think pottery clay would run into a bunch of issues with detailing and drying out and everything. It might be worth a try, but it could end up just being a pain.

Offline Thereminz

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 11:20:51 »
No, but i do make quite a bit with clay. The problem i forsee is the uneven 5 to to 10% shrinkage you get when firing. It would probably be best to make a large enough hole on the underside of the ceramic key to be able to take a stem cut off a plastic key. That way you could glue the plastic stem into the ceramic key and make sure you get a good fit to the switch.

Wouldn't the plastic melt in the kiln

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 21:44:41 »

Wouldn't the plastic melt in the kiln

I suspect the idea is to fire the keycap first, and glue the stem in when it has cooled.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 22:26:54 »
I seem to remember a thread a few years ago where someone said they attempted it and their keycap exploded in the kiln and destroyed a bunch of peoples stuff so they gave up.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 09:00:14 »
I seem to remember a thread a few years ago where someone said they attempted it and their keycap exploded in the kiln and destroyed a bunch of peoples stuff so they gave up.

lmao
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline 89sec

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 22:44:20 »
To my knowledge, creating anything to such a precise degree out of pottery clay will be a massive challenge, if it is at all possible. Perhaps it would be more feasible to create a solid butt and separately mill the stem.

Offline lasernasaur

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 01:31:04 »
Instead of pottery clay I think air dry sculpting clay would be better for the job. but even that I have not tried. Still new to the Keyboard Hobby, and just slowly easing my way in.

Offline molecularronin

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 21:41:01 »
I was thinking this exact thing earlier. I think porcelain caps would be totally rad.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 23:25:32 »
I was thinking this exact thing earlier. I think porcelain caps would be totally rad.

Ceramic caps exist. Porcelain caps would certainly be possible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-Backlit-Keycap-Artisan-R4-OEM-Key-Caps-For-Cherry-MX-Mechanical-Keyboard/152717937998
F Keys belong on the left.