Author Topic: Truly Ergonomic on OSX remap left space?  (Read 3014 times)

Offline kaos

Truly Ergonomic on OSX remap left space?
« on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 12:46:49 »
Hi all!

I've just gotten my Truly Ergonomic 209 Blank keyboard, and so far I'm liking it quite a lot. However, I'm unable to detect (xev, Controllmate, keyremap4macbook) the left space as a key (dip switch set to off, and also verified to work on a windows machine). Any advice on how to make the Mac acknowledge the key (running 10.8.1)?

I realise this topic has been touched upon in other threads - but I haven't been able to find an answer that actually fixes the problem...

Much appreciated!

Offline Gerk

Re: Truly Ergonomic on OSX remap left space?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 15:00:34 »
The only way I have been able to do it to date is with Controllermate (commercial app, about $25 I think).  I read somewhere recently that this issue might have been fixed in keyremap4macbook but if you tried with the latest and it didn't work I guess not.  Once I bought controllermate I never went back to keyremap4macbook.

I really really wish Truly Ergonomic would release the software for remapping they've been promising us since day one (or give us a free license for this commercial app that gets the job done if they can't deliver!)

http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline kaos

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 08:08:08 »
Hmm, thanks for the advice, but I can't get the trial version of controllermate to parse the key... It would indeed be awesome if they could release the promised remapping software...

Offline docomoz

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 23:35:53 »
Hey Gerk. I have the same issue with left spacebar and tried many apps, including Controllermate (registered version), but still no luck. Could you write more about it? What version of Mac OS do you use, your DIP switches configuration, etc? Many thanks!

Offline docomoz

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 04:12:21 »
By the way, Gerk, which model of TE keyboard do you use? Is it 209? As I understand, 109 keyboard doesn't have issues with left space key and "international 6" code, but 209 isn't so lucky for Mac :(

Offline Gerk

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 12:09:44 »
I use the 109.  I think that I also had to us PCKeyboardHack (or something like that) to enable the extra keys.  I did so much hacking on it before I got it working I honestly don't remember what did the trick ... but I do remember having to jump though a LOT of hoops before that finally worked for me.  Nothing could even capture a keycode from it.  If I have time and remember when I'm back at my workstation I'll try and take a look and see if I can see what I did to make it work.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline jnakano

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 04:25:28 »
I have both 209 and 109 model and I'm struggling with this.

On Linux or Windows, there are no difference with them about Left spacebar.
Both models outputs International6 keycode.
I checked it by capturing USB HID protocol packet.

In spite of these results, Mac OS X doesn't recognize International6 key.

I asked what happens to PCKeyboardHack Author, he said "if Mac OS X recognize key press, it is recognized as typing 'a' key if the key is not mapped correctly."

With 109 model and without PCKeyboardHack remapping, I checked typing left spacebar is recognized as "a".
With 209 model on same condition, nothing is typed.

Now I doubt HID Page number is correctly set.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 09:40:56 »
I _think_  I remember doing this stuff with mine as well way back when ... I think also what you have to do is to make sure that the keyboard type is set to japanese(?)  On my setup it definitely comes up as international key 6 but it took some serious hoop jumping to get there.

There are some issues with the way it's paid out in the hardware for sure.