Author Topic: Number pad - mechanical, low cost?  (Read 3586 times)

Offline c64

Number pad - mechanical, low cost?
« on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 13:35:18 »
I'm looking for a number pad since I use my left hand to type numbers.  What is the cheapest number pad I can buy (wired) that has mechanical switches?

Offline hoggy

Re: Number pad - mechanical, low cost?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 13:38:46 »
Look for a kinesis/goldtouch (same thing) numpad.  Cherry browns from memory.  Good quality.

Stupid money if you buy them new.  You could get a nasty rubber dome thing to tide you over while you hunt...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 14:07:37 »
Goldtouch numpads with brown switches show up regularly on ebay for $20-$30.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 14:17:05 »
one thing to keep in mind with the goldtouch (filco numpads too) is that they come with 0 and 00 keys instead of a 2x 0 key. if you care about keycaps you're gonna want to replace the keycaps on the goldtouch right away, and tracking down the right 0 and 00 keys is not as easy as finding a 2x 0 key.
Tsangan's CCnG kit came with the right sizes, and there are black cherry doubleshots that came with those too.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Rafen

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 20:59:26 »
Not to thread jack but I am also looking for one of these. I don't use the number pad all the time because I only need it mostly for entering IP addresses at work and trouble shooting computers and would love to have a mechanical one.

Offline Gerk

Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline c64

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 16:38:40 »
I keep seeing Adesso ones all over the place for reasonable money.

http://www.amazon.com/ADESSO-AKP-220B-Adesso-Mechanical-Numeric/dp/B0038KN3YY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1347717055&sr=8-3&keywords=adesso+number+pad

That one looks good to me and in the price range.  Any negatives about it?

Offline Gerk

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 16:54:12 »

That one looks good to me and in the price range.  Any negatives about it?

Dunno ... have never used it, just see it listed all over and the price looked right.  Been thinking about one myself but haven't done it yet.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 17:47:15 »
I have a goldtouch with the original keys, never use it. i'll sell it for $25+ shipping CONUS... shoot me a PM if you're interested. It's been a while since I've used it so I have to plug it in and make sure it works before I sell it, but I never had any problems with it.
I steel-wooled the logo off so there is a slightly shiny spot but it's not really that noticeable unless you're pointing a bright lamp directly at it.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace