Author Topic: One handed keyboards?  (Read 6630 times)

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
One handed keyboards?
« on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 19:15:55 »
I came across this article (Link) and found it somewhat intriging. Has anyone here had experience with such a keyboard?

If so, what did you think of it?

If not, what do you think of the idea?

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
One handed keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 20:24:38 »
I dislike that all one-handed keyboard products/methodologies/etc seem to be geared towards two-handed people.  If was missing a hand, I think it would be quite frustrating to be doing research on one-handed keyboarding and have to page through commentary about which hand to use.

Offline Wordhopscotch

One handed keyboards?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 20:29:31 »
*delurks*

I tried it, albeit on a "508" model since I'm right handed. (Disabled Student Services thought they were being helpful, even though I preferred another keyboard--mine!) Couldn't stand it. It did reduce the distance I had to move over the board itself, but the constant need to generate the missing key was frustrating and felt awkward. If I'm not mistaken the 508 has rubber domes, which made it worse. Also the layout felt counterproductive. I'm a big fan of frequency of use layouts. I used right hand Dvorak for a long time, then when unavoidable overuse caught up I eventually acquired a Maltron right handed keyboard which is beautiful to type on. I could see Half QWERTY being useful for a temporary situation, maybe. But I think there's software for that already...

Offline Ulysses31

One handed keyboards?
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 20:30:10 »
Don't like them myself but they'd be perfect for lonely guys who live in the basement, "cybering" away as they do.

Offline Wordhopscotch

One handed keyboards?
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 20:31:27 »
Quote from: iMav;8181
I dislike that all one-handed keyboard products/methodologies/etc seem to be geared towards two-handed people.  If was missing a hand, I think it would be quite frustrating to be doing research on one-handed keyboarding and have to page through commentary about which hand to use.

*applauds iMAV*

Offline Korbin

One handed keyboards?
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 22:56:37 »
The other option is remapping the keys to one-handed dvorak layout. Take a look at your language settings if you are using windows. Just like regular dvorak layout you can change it on the fly.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline graywolf

One handed keyboards?
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 23:53:34 »
Quote from: iMav;8181

Strangely, I don't see the problem. Since I am now used to dealing with assistance, I know that they are not going to give them a choice. They will provide what they think is best, not what the client wants. Of course if you are one handed and rich you can get anything you want. Now, if they would come out with a keyboard that would compensate for my inability to consentrate for more than a couple of hours...

Anyway, I think all the stuff about what a great keyboard for a two-handed person in there is just an attempt to increase their market. Something I actually applaud because if they can sell more then they can sell them for less, which has to be a good thing for the people who really need something like that.

I started this thread out of curiousity, I had not even thought about one-handed keyboards before I came across that site. In fact I was googling lefthanded keyboards when I found it. And I was doing that because while I love typing on my M, I keep wanting to take a hacksaw to it as I almost never use all that crap to the right of the typewriting section.

Offline Wordhopscotch

One handed keyboards?
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 31 August 2008, 12:38:30 »
Quote from: graywolf;8188
Strangely, I don't see the problem. Since I am now used to dealing with assistance, I know that they are not going to give them a choice. They will provide what they think is best, not what the client wants. Of course if you are one handed and rich you can get anything you want. Now, if they would come out with a keyboard that would compensate for my inability to consentrate for more than a couple of hours...

Anyway, I think all the stuff about what a great keyboard for a two-handed person in there is just an attempt to increase their market. Something I actually applaud because if they can sell more then they can sell them for less, which has to be a good thing for the people who really need something like that.

I started this thread out of curiousity, I had not even thought about one-handed keyboards before I came across that site. In fact I was googling lefthanded keyboards when I found it. And I was doing that because while I love typing on my M, I keep wanting to take a hacksaw to it as I almost never use all that crap to the right of the typewriting section.

I hear you on the expense; I could only obtain the Maltron through SSI, after my hand already went to hell. Sometimes too it is a matter of need -- not want.  We're not being spoiled brats.  If you don't have dexterity in your good hand, or if that hand is overused or injured, you are going to need something more. For example, I had arranged to bring my keyboard with me to my internship and thought everything was finalized when the DSS director suggested the 508. I am unable to use any flat keyboard without pain or spasms, and had told her that 3 times. Thankfully my internship supervisor allowed my keyboard.

I think I just wish that there were more ergonomic choices for one-handed people.  We can't really afford to injure our good hands.  It matters what you type on, especially if you're already putting stress on your hand by using a cane or pushing a wheelchair etc. You don't really want to add another stressor to that.  Two-handed people have any number of ergonomic keyboards which are cheaper.  I like lurking here because I get to read about such a variety of keyboards.  One-handed people have the Maltron.  I don't think we'll see the likes of Stephen Hobday or Lillian Malt again, but I have a great respect for them.  Sometimes it's good to know that people were thinking specifically about people like you when they invented such a product.

Offline graywolf

One handed keyboards?
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 31 August 2008, 13:28:05 »
Wordhopscotch,

You kind of misunderstood me; in no way was I implying that you did not need it.

Most disabled/handicapped people are on some kind of, at least partial, assistance. To give an example of what I mean. Assistance here will replace a dental plate only once every six years and only if you are missing x-number of teeth. So if you are missing less than x-numer of teeth, or break your plate you are SOL unless you have the money to pay for it yourself.

Same thing, I imagine, if you need a one handed keyboard, only in that case they probably have a list of suppliers that you can get it from, so you are stuck with what they will pay for. If you want something different, you are either SOL or have the money to pay for it yourself.

Of course different states, different rules, so I can only say for sure how it is here where I live. You say you are on SSI, they do not have all those restrictive rules the state run agencies have, so you have a pretty free choice. I am on SSD and partial assistance myself, so I am not talking from theory. (I really resent the assistance, I paid into SS for decades, they should be giving me enough that I shouldn't need assistance.)

Offline Wordhopscotch

One handed keyboards?
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 31 August 2008, 13:49:32 »
Quote from: graywolf;8212
Wordhopscotch,

You kind of misunderstood me; in no way was I implying that you did not need it.

Most disabled/handicapped people are on some kind of, at least partial, assistance. To give an example of what I mean. Assistance here will replace a dental plate only once every six years and only if you are missing x-number of teeth. So if you are missing less than x-numer of teeth, or break your plate you are SOL unless you have the money to pay for it yourself.

Same thing, I imagine, if you need a one handed keyboard, only in that case they probably have a list of suppliers that you can get it from, so you are stuck with what they will pay for. If you want something different, you are either SOL or have the money to pay for it yourself.

Of course different states, different rules, so I can only say for sure how it is here where I live. You say you are on SSI, they do not have all those restrictive rules the state run agencies have, so you have a pretty free choice. I am on SSD and partial assistance myself, so I am not talking from theory. (I really resent the assistance, I paid into SS for decades, they should be giving me enough that I shouldn't need assistance.)

Sorry; that wasn't directed at you. I tend to phrase things badly. I've had people assume things before and it was kind of a reflex. My bad. (My insurance actually didn't cover the Maltron; SSI gives you a back-payment for the time it took them to decide if you need it. It was quick in my case, so it just about bought the keyboard and Dragon.)

The insurance restrictions kill me. They price things assuming insurance will pay, and half the time it won't because it's not raining on a Tuesday with a blue moon in the middle of a leap year. In the current economy it's understandable to a point, but doesn't make it suck any less. I'm sorry about your situation -- the amount you get should be proportional to the work you put in. I hope it improves. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Offline pkamb

• http://www.staylimber.com/
One-Handed Typing apps
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 13:28:17 »
If anyone is interested in the Half-QWERTY layout mentioned in the original post, there's no need to buy an expensive physical keyboard!

There's now software available for Mac and PC that does the 'mirroring' concept better. And you can use it with your favorite clicky keyboard. The apps below (except the autohotkey script) are my versions.

AutoHotkey Version (Windows PC):
http://www.autohotkey.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1326

Mirror-QWERTY (Mac OS X):
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mirror-qwerty-one-hand-typing/id496021762?mt=12

Even better are versions of this concept with predictive text. Rather than holding down a modifier key to specify which of the two possible keys you want, the app picks for you. Makes it much easier to type fast using this concept.

One-Hand Keyboard (Mac OS X):
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/one-hand-keyboard-practice/id501185004?mt=12

or

http://www.onehandkeyboard.org/download/

Offline OkGold

One handed keyboards?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 14:34:54 »
> "pressing space bar to use all the keys on the other side of the keyboard"

what nonsense, that sounds absolutely dreadful. If T9 works with some efficiency, I'd be certain you could just hit the keys you want and have software hash out what your trying to type. The spacebar option could be implimented with a switch or something for specific words that might not be recognized.

Offline pkamb

• http://www.staylimber.com/
One handed keyboards?
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 15:46:53 »
Quote from: OkGold;583012
> "pressing space bar to use all the keys on the other side of the keyboard"

what nonsense, that sounds absolutely dreadful. If T9 works with some efficiency, I'd be certain you could just hit the keys you want and have software hash out what your trying to type. The spacebar option could be implimented with a switch or something for specific words that might not be recognized.

It's true, the predictive text version is much faster and easier to learn. If you're able to try the T9-like apps I posted above, feedback would be much appreciated.

Offline PCDMaltron

One handed keyboards?
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 04:33:10 »
Hi all, apologies in advance, I am new to blogging and more used to twitter. Thank you for highlighing the Maltron single handed keyboard, we do infact have a model for left and right hands.

We have individuals using these who have had an upper limb amputated, suffered from stroke or paralysis or have other factors meaning they have very limited use in one hand. The keyboards in question are detailed at http://www.maltron.com/keyboard-info/single-hand-keyboards.html.

Stephen Hobday is still acting chairman and recently celebrated his 96th birthday! We do find that there is a varied time delay in which it takes time to become comfortable with using a Maltron.

Offline J-P

One handed keyboards?
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 08:58:14 »
I used to know a guy that used a 'frogpad'. I had a go, pain in the ass IMHO. It does however, enable single handed typing, but you look like a tit when doing so as you have to spam multiple buttons to get letters/punctuation out. Predictive does seem like a far better solution rather than modifier keys...

New version is apparently some bastard child of the old frogpad and apples magic trackpad... ew.
REALFORCE 105u ¦ Leopold FC200RT/ABN ¦ KBC Poker // CST L-Track-X
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Netdewt

• OLKB
One handed keyboards?
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 10:22:27 »
If they weren't all $600, I would so use one.

Offline PCDMaltron

One handed keyboards?
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 10:37:26 »
Hello Netdewt,

The single handed Maltron retails at £295.00 which, according to todays xe.com figure, is approximaltely $478? We do have distributors in the USA so you shouldn't be paying $600 for them.

Many thanks,

Adam

Offline Daniel Beaver

One handed keyboards?
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 12:32:32 »
Quote from: PCDMaltron;586308
The single handed Maltron retails at £295.00 which, according to todays xe.com figure, is approximaltely $478?

Even cheaper than an HHKB Pro S! Though without that good feeling of oneness with cup rubber...

(The Day of Maltron thunders on)

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
One handed keyboards?
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 18:56:05 »
Quote from: Netdewt;586295
If they weren't all $600, I would so use one.

Which hand is your good hand? I know of a used Right-Handed Maltron for far less than $600. Send PM if interested.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Netdewt

• OLKB
One handed keyboards?
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 20:57:59 »
I use a Wacom with my right hand, so in my dreams I thought it would be cool to be able to have full use of the keyboard with my left.

Offline Proword

Re: One handed keyboards?
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 22:46:15 »
Maltron 3D Dual Hand (x4)
Maltron 3D Single Hand (x2 - L & R)

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.

Offline Smallville

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 22:21:11 »
This would be pretty useful to have. Imagine never having to let go of the mouse to type!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 22:49:24 »
This would be pretty useful to have. Imagine never having to let go of the mouse to type!
Also: Best gaming keyboard ever. I want Maltron to sponsor an E-sports person.

When I first started, I initially tried one handed Dvorak for this reason, though. I soon switch,d to "normal" dvorak, though.

Offline PCDMaltron

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 04:09:05 »
Also: Best gaming keyboard ever. I want Maltron to sponsor an E-sports person.

When I first started, I initially tried one handed Dvorak for this reason, though. I soon switch,d to "normal" dvorak, though.

That's not something we've thought of before, sponsoring an E-sports person. Perhaps its an area we should look into?

Offline Workoft

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 08:49:00 »
Hi,

I just got into keyboard design recently and have only been in touch with the theoretical part so far. I had an eye on the key64; i like the concept, although it is lacking room for easy access to special characters of other latin-alphabet languages that I need.
Also, I have a friend who, due to a birth defect, has very limited mobility in his left hand and does all the typing with his right hand, only occasionally using his left hand for otherwise impossible key combinations like Ctrl+Alt+Del, tying a knot into his hands because he is unable to press Ctrl ant Alt with his left hand and therefore needs to reach over.

So I thought I'd get a few friends to chip in for some parts and make him a custom, right handed keyboard.

These are my guide lines:
- All Charachters should have their own keys, exceptions can be made for special characters
- Move frequently used keys like Enter and Backspace are moved to the left to be operated by the index finger
- less frequently used keys like capslock and the "Windows" key are moved to the left
- All frequently used modifiers need to be thumb keys as the thumb can move independently of the fingers. That includes Shift, Alt, Ctrl, Alt Gr and an extra Fn key that is needed to access another layer for numerals and punctuation. Punctuation could also be typed by holding Alt-Gr. Space is also a thumb key. The Fn key can be locked by double-tapping.
- The function keys cannot be embedded, as this would require too many keys pressed at once for the rather common F-key combinations. Possibly, another Alt key needs to be added in case the distance between the Alt-key and the function keys is too far.
- Thumb keys often used together (like Ctrl+Alt and AltGr+Shift) will be placed next to each other to allow pressing them together using the thumb only. Likewise, Shift and Space need to be next to each other because they will commonly be hit in succession.
- Place the Del key to the opposite of the corresponding Backspace key.
- place lettres and commonly used punctuation marks in a block of 6 columns and 5 rows. 6 columns mean you will have more than two rows operated by neither the index finger nor the pinky. 5 rows is about as far as the Fingers can stretch, so you wont need to move your wrist during normal typing.
- Keep the arrow keys and other special keys, including Home, Pgnup, Ins etc. outside of the main key block because it's full and it's less confusing to have them elsewhere.
- I used the one hand layout developed by IBM (mirrored, because I think it was intended for the left hand) and added a few keys to the rows of only 5 keys. These are ,.- and ¨ to type German Umlauts (other characters are also possible). ß will be AltGr+S - this is ok because it has no capital version, therefore never requires Shift. Other keyboard layouts (e.g. optimized for German) will be considered
- Print Screen is moved over to the left to be operated by the left hand in case of rare Sysrq combinations.
- The keyboard will use column staggering, just like the key64. It will be flat so it may be taken along, is not as heavy, looks better and is not as difficult to design.
- It may be combined with a left hand joystick to make gaming more fun. Currently he uses the space bar for walking, the middle mouse button for jumping, he can't strafe, duck or walk backwards.
This is a concept that I designed using a spreadsheet software. I'm no artist, but you should get the idea.
5337-0

Offline hoggy

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 16:52:15 »
You might want to look at the fitaly layout.   IBM also researched a five by five grid, no idea where I read that though.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0