Author Topic: Mouse wrist starting to ache after upgrading to quad monitor setup  (Read 6245 times)

Offline shmithers

Mouse wrist starting to ache after upgrading to quad monitor setup
« on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 17:30:11 »
Hey guys, it has been a while!

I come to you to ask for help rescuing my right wrist. About a month after adding two additional monitors to my setup, I am now having wrist pains in my right (mouse) wrist. I have the g400 set to a DPI of 2800. I mostly use the keyboard but do use the mouse for some clicking because our product at work has terrible keyboard support and is mostly mouse based. If you have any suggestions on how to help my wrist I would be very grateful. Here are some ideas I had:

• RollerMouse. Would that work well with my 87u?
• A trackball of some kind. I have tried the thumb style ones and dislike so a ambidexterious center ball is on my list of ones to try
• Other?

Here is my current setup:

sorry for the white balance
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2012, 17:31:47 by shmithers »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Mouse wrist starting to ache after upgrading to quad monitor setup
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 19:33:00 »
When I had a quad monitor setup (All CRT's), I used a mouse, but I mainly spent time on one screen. I probably cranked up the acceleration, so that I could "Flick" it over to another screen when I needed.

That said, I'd definitely go with a trackball. I have a CST PC-track, and it's great. I imagine you want the 1600 DPI L-track X. Or the 3200 DPI if you can find it. As an added bonus, it'll look boss next to that topre.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 19:46:41 »
Yep high acceleration is the ticket for sure.  You get used to it quickly, fast moves for covering distance and slower moves for more precision work.  I'm down to 3 monitors now and the two on the outside are both in portrait mode so it's not as bad as it once was.  When I go back up to 4 I'll be putting the 4th above my main monitor which makes for less travel overall as well.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline Proword

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 20:33:38 »
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/trackballs/trackman-marble

Been using for about 4 years now. When I'm running two computers simultaneously I have one for each hand, set up the buttons accordingly (in Windows - quickly changeable).  Although I'm normally right handed I use this trackball with my left most of the time.

Joe
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2012, 20:36:46 by Proword »
Maltron 3D Dual Hand (x4)
Maltron 3D Single Hand (x2 - L & R)

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 23:49:49 »
How's your neck?

Try Macro Express.  It's pretty easy to set up a macro (that you can call from a key combination) that will move the mouse pointer and click for you.  You could use Autohotkey if you don't like paying for software.

Send the guys who wrote the software a nice email requesting keyboard shortcuts.

Alternative left and right hands for mouse use - you'll get used to pretty quick, but the first few days are ...fun.

I don't know if it's available where you are, but try biofreeze on your wrist for the ache.

GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 23:56:43 »
Could also set up simple macro's with AHK to amp mouse acceleration when holding down a mod, or setup ones to jump the pointer from screen to screen, then do the fine motion on 1 screen with the mouse.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Beta32Delta

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 16:00:04 »
May wanna consider a swiftpoint, they're aimed at laptop users, but they're tiny and rely mainly on your fingers.

Offline tysonlee

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 05:14:20 »
So far so good, I will be using this board for the next little while at the very least so if anything about my opinion changes I will report back, as well as when I start messing with the split and tenting angles.
Thanks to the website of Pass4sure which provided me outstanding support for the HSPT admission test. For more information about this product visit Avaloq ,best of luck.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 07:33:07 »
So far so good, I will be using this board for the next little while at the very least so if anything about my opinion changes I will report back, as well as when I start messing with the split and tenting angles.
are you the op with a different name? what's this post mean.

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 07:36:51 »
I remember reading somewhere that the wrist is more accustomed to moving up and down rather than left and right.

Maybe you twist your wrist towards the left/right wayyy too much when moving your cursor across 4 screens :))

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 08:11:59 »
My vertical mouse is really growing on me.

It took a few days to get my hand settled into the right position, but it is easy now.

I never game, so I am not a good judge in that realm.

Now if I could just find a similar one for the left hand, especially at a good price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271049386621

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"