Author Topic: Wacky vintage Soviet computer box  (Read 6904 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Wacky vintage Soviet computer box
« on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 14:54:35 »
Wow, dig this component box from a '70s Soviet military control computer that someone's selling on eBay:

Ever see anything like that, with PCBs mounted on every surface? Hope they had some good fans.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Wacky vintage Soviet computer box
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 14:59:15 »
And how come vintage Soviet electronics always look so sad, and no one's really interested in collecting them?

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 18:11:26 »
I KNEW IT! THE RUSSIANS ARE MEDDLING IN THE GEEKHACK FORUM! THE FBI REALLY NEEDS TO BE CALLED ON THIS.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 01:23:59 »
You knew this sort of thing would happen if you skipped your medication again.

Offline iri

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 06:17:07 »
Agat is not sad!

184765-0
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 19:10:29 »
And how come vintage Soviet electronics always look so sad, and no one's really interested in collecting them?
As with almost anything military, it was built to be utilitarian, anything more would have been wasteful, especially by the Soviets and for something intended for the proles to use. Ever see some of our current military equipment, seats are considered an afterthought. Ever see the original seats in an actual military spec Humvee? Or worse, what the military uses when those wear out and don't feel like replacing them, an airline pillow strapped to plywood using fake leather is a good way to describe them.

As for those pcbs... The joints may have been done by a kindergartner (very possible considering Russia), but that is some seriously impressive/creative engineering there.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline iri

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 08:52:29 »
The joints may have been done by a kindergartner (very possible considering Russia)
Learning to solder in kindergarten becomes very handy late in life when one becomes a keyboard hobbyist.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 10:58:30 »

Show Image

Probably because it's very cold in russia.  But it's not sad it's just hand soldered..

People don't collect them, well, we don't know that.. but heck, let's say because maybe it's radioactive, because that's probably what they were using computers for..

hahahaahhaha

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 17:51:13 »
The joints may have been done by a kindergartner (very possible considering Russia)
Learning to solder in kindergarten becomes very handy late in life when one becomes a keyboard hobbyist.

...in second grade

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 19:55:43 »

...in second grade

Learning to solder, right ...

186627-0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iri

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 07:42:46 »

...in second grade

(Attachment Link)
"Learning to solder the hard way".

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 20:27:21 »
I actually shuddered seeing that pic.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion