Author Topic: [GB] Modern M0110 custom keyboard  (Read 270700 times)

Offline dantambok

Re: [GB] Modern M0110 custom keyboard
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 10:19:44 »
I wonder when this'll start shipping out  ;D
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #201 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 14:16:55 »
I know long waits without much to say for them can be frustrating, but I've been amusing myself with a little game I like to call, "Which will arrive first?"  The Modern M0110 or XDA Oblique? 
Just FYI: XDA Oblique won ;)

Offline Starius

« Reply #202 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 14:59:56 »
I know long waits without much to say for them can be frustrating, but I've been amusing myself with a little game I like to call, "Which will arrive first?"  The Modern M0110 or XDA Oblique? 
Just FYI: XDA Oblique won ;)

Hah! Yes, I haven't received mine yet but it looks like it will be the winner. 😆

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 15:47:13 »
Looking to sell my Dynamic Black Cerakote spot at face value. If you're interested hit me up.

Offline themillerdave

« Reply #204 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 16:50:13 »
Looking to sell my Dynamic Black Cerakote spot at face value. If you're interested hit me up.

Bring it on Saturday, man!  I at least want to see it (and likely will buy it from you as well)

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 00:49:12 »
Hey folks, just a quick update here for proof of life :)

For some context, our machinist sped up the CNC program for Modern M0110 when he did the actual production run, and while all the tops machining is pretty fantastic (honestly this is where a huge chunk of our machining budget went since you're basically paying by the minute), the bottoms came out rougher than the original prototype and my machinist will not do another pass, but at the time I thought that the level of machine marks was normal and would easily come out in sandblasting.

That turned out to be not true...and when I gave the order to my Cerakote vendor to start running the non-engraved keyboards, he basically halted after the first one because the machining marks were way too rough on the bottom and I don't want to ship them to you guys in that state. So me and my wife have been working with our Cerakote and anodizing vendor to experiment with different surface prep strategies so we ship out keyboards that live up to your expectations because lets be honest, even if it looks amazing on top and sitting on your desk, I know many of you are not going to be satisfied if the part you *can't* see isn't perfect too.

So the main updates are:
- We have anodized production samples! They actually look *amazing* and I'll try to share good photos when I have a chance to photograph them properly. The gray is going to come out with a bit more of a textured finish while the silver will come out as an ultra-smooth Apple-like finish. I'm actually really impressed with the quality and was surprised you could get such high quality anodizing done in the good ol USA (anodizing companies are a bit of a dying breed here due to environmental regulations)
- My Cerakote vendor's spray gun broke last week and he had to get a new one, so he has to redo the production sample--our proposed solution right now is to actually paint each keyboard twice so the first coat helps smooth out the surface of the bottom and second coat is the one you see. It's a bit more expensive but I hope that this will look good but I don't have 100% confirmation on it yet. The two coats will be evenly applied on both bottom and top so we don't expect to see any color inconsistencies but this is definitely something we will be monitoring once we get to real production.

Thanks everyone!

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #206 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 05:54:19 »
Hey folks, just a quick update here for proof of life :)

For some context, our machinist sped up the CNC program for Modern M0110 when he did the actual production run, and while all the tops machining is pretty fantastic (honestly this is where a huge chunk of our machining budget went since you're basically paying by the minute), the bottoms came out rougher than the original prototype and my machinist will not do another pass, but at the time I thought that the level of machine marks was normal and would easily come out in sandblasting.

That turned out to be not true...and when I gave the order to my Cerakote vendor to start running the non-engraved keyboards, he basically halted after the first one because the machining marks were way too rough on the bottom and I don't want to ship them to you guys in that state. So me and my wife have been working with our Cerakote and anodizing vendor to experiment with different surface prep strategies so we ship out keyboards that live up to your expectations because lets be honest, even if it looks amazing on top and sitting on your desk, I know many of you are not going to be satisfied if the part you *can't* see isn't perfect too.

So the main updates are:
- We have anodized production samples! They actually look *amazing* and I'll try to share good photos when I have a chance to photograph them properly. The gray is going to come out with a bit more of a textured finish while the silver will come out as an ultra-smooth Apple-like finish. I'm actually really impressed with the quality and was surprised you could get such high quality anodizing done in the good ol USA (anodizing companies are a bit of a dying breed here due to environmental regulations)
- My Cerakote vendor's spray gun broke last week and he had to get a new one, so he has to redo the production sample--our proposed solution right now is to actually paint each keyboard twice so the first coat helps smooth out the surface of the bottom and second coat is the one you see. It's a bit more expensive but I hope that this will look good but I don't have 100% confirmation on it yet. The two coats will be evenly applied on both bottom and top so we don't expect to see any color inconsistencies but this is definitely something we will be monitoring once we get to real production.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the update. I appreciate you prioritizing quality over speed. Excited to see some pictures soon!

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #207 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 11:57:08 »
Do the rougher bottoms affect the anodization?

Offline nguyenhimself

[GB] Modern M0110 custom keyboard
« Reply #208 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 13:23:56 »
Appreciate your efforts, but man, this whole GB is like a “Made in USA” cautionary tale.

Offline crowKAKAWWW

« Reply #209 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 15:48:49 »
Appreciate your efforts, but man, this whole GB is like a “Made in USA” cautionary tale.

I think we've hit every possible kind of delay throughout this journey :confused:
RAMA M60A
KBDFans Frosted Tofu
Cannon Keys Satisfaction 75
Desk Candy Modern M0110
---
ALF x Scott G60

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #210 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 17:29:22 »

I think the biggest lesson here is to have a good prototype before going forward with the GB. The prototype that TopClack received was in bad shape.

That said, I do appreciate the GB runner's efforts to have everything done right rather than expedient.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #211 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 23:38:07 »
Just happy we have communication and transparency. With what's going on with the Exent GB (RIP) I will take any little effort a creator makes

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #212 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:17:46 »
Hey folks, quick update here. My Cerakote vendor (who is also storing the majority of the unfinished units right now) was sick and now has not responded to me with a clear time for when I can pick up units to engrave and also see the doubly painted Cerakote unit--which was our proposed solution for dealing with machine marks on the Cerakote units. I am trying to continually follow up with him this week and bug him to find out when he'll be in his shop so I can pick up units. We are blocked on moving forward with anything (engraving or unengraved anodized units) until we get a response from him.

In the meantime, we took some nice pictures of the anodized finishes, which are pretty much finalized at this point (we are trying to tweak them slightly but the pics should give you a good indication). The two finishes are as described:

• Silver: polished and finished with a fine glass bead blast before anodizing--suuuuuper smooth!
  • Grey: shotpeen to give more of a textured finished and then anodized. We are tweaking this slightly and the first production sample came out uneven between the top and bottom.

Hope you like them! :cool:

Offline crowKAKAWWW

« Reply #213 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 18:28:08 »
Looks good-- are the tweaks to the grey anodization just to match the top/bottom or will the final color look slightly different as well?
RAMA M60A
KBDFans Frosted Tofu
Desk Candy Modern M0110
---
ALF x Scott G60

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 01:33:23 »
I sent an email to you John, but I really hope we can change ano color, this super rough dark Grey is not what I signed up for.

Offline crowKAKAWWW

« Reply #215 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 14:26:55 »
Also, is it possible to have glass bead blast for grey anodization as well? Or was there a good reason for having different finishes?
RAMA M60A
KBDFans Frosted Tofu
Desk Candy Modern M0110
---
ALF x Scott G60

Offline beekey

« Reply #216 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 15:09:47 »
Would as also prefer smooth finish for the grey, not a fan of the texture. The renders look better.

Offline ron310

« Reply #217 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 06:25:41 »
I’d prefer the smooth finish on the grey as well. Is that possible?

Offline ibabo

• yeaaaaaaahh
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 12:09:29 »
the grey anodization almost looks like a grey cerakote. hmm
ahaaaa, keyboard. HOVA

Offline Perfex

« Reply #219 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 13:02:52 »
I think you guys are over reacting a bit to the anodizing, the grey looks on par with boards such as Duck, etc... if anything the silver anodizing is too smooth, yes I can’t believe I said that.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 May 2019, 13:06:38 by Perfex »

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #220 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 13:10:31 »
I like the look of the gray as-is. Nothing wrong with a touch of sparkle

Offline crowKAKAWWW

« Reply #221 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 18:00:58 »
You guys are both right, the grey looks good. BUT it isn't really what we paid for.
RAMA M60A
KBDFans Frosted Tofu
Desk Candy Modern M0110
---
ALF x Scott G60

Offline Manticzeus

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 21:17:29 »
WTS sand cerakoted spot. Can contact me on reddit, same name or disc manticzeus#3558
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 May 2019, 22:02:50 by Manticzeus »

Offline dantambok

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 21:35:53 »
I think you guys are over reacting a bit to the anodizing, the grey looks on par with boards such as Duck, etc... if anything the silver anodizing is too smooth, yes I can’t believe I said that.

"too smooth" well there's something you dont see often haha
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

100+ GMK sets

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 01:09:53 »
Hey guys, because of your feedback we are going to redo the grey production sample in the same smooth finish as the silver production sample. Will post back here when we have a new picture.

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #225 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 01:11:08 »
I sent an email to you John, but I really hope we can change ano color, this super rough dark Grey is not what I signed up for.

We are going to run a new sample in the same smoothness as the silver but in gray so it is closer to what everyone signed up for originally. The color is going to be lighter than the picture to match our original sample (we were working on that anyways). Thanks.

Offline adamcobabe

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 03:52:50 »
To be frank, the silver seems different than the original too. It's been sand blasted so much that the edges are all completely smooth now.

Offline crowKAKAWWW

« Reply #227 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 09:51:30 »

We are going to run a new sample in the same smoothness as the silver but in gray so it is closer to what everyone signed up for originally. The color is going to be lighter than the picture to match our original sample (we were working on that anyways). Thanks.

This is great news, thanks for listening to our feedback
RAMA M60A
KBDFans Frosted Tofu
Desk Candy Modern M0110
---
ALF x Scott G60

Offline Perfex

« Reply #228 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 11:48:22 »
To be frank, the silver seems different than the original too. It's been sand blasted so much that the edges are all completely smooth now.

Exactly

Offline ibabo

• yeaaaaaaahh
« Reply #229 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 10:58:24 »
Hey John. Otanishock and I have been trying to reach you. He sold me his spot and I am yet to receive any confirmation from you. please check your email. thank you
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 May 2019, 16:10:59 by ibabo »
ahaaaa, keyboard. HOVA

Offline crowKAKAWWW

« Reply #230 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 15:30:07 »
@deskcandy any idea when we'll see updated production samples?
RAMA M60A
KBDFans Frosted Tofu
Desk Candy Modern M0110
---
ALF x Scott G60

Offline ThomasTH

« Reply #231 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 15:31:01 »
And what about the cherakote samples?! Did they even start

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline lyk503

« Reply #232 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 18:47:38 »
I attempted to sell my spot a couple months ago, but I kinda stopped visiting the site for a while.

I sent a message to the people who PMed me, but their messages were from a while ago, so I don’t know if they’re still interested.

So I’m trying again, this time I’ll be following my inbox/this thread more closely.

Trying to transfer my GB spot:

Ceraktoe beige m0110
Alps PCB
Fixed HHKB plate
#100 engraving.

Offline raphaelf

« Reply #233 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 03:30:01 »
If someone wants to sell a grey mx spot, I'd be willing to buy.  :)

Offline lukelex

« Reply #234 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 04:29:11 »
Me wantz a spot. PM me for money

Offline crowKAKAWWW

« Reply #235 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 15:00:07 »
@deskcandy can we please get an update?
RAMA M60A
KBDFans Frosted Tofu
Desk Candy Modern M0110
---
ALF x Scott G60

Offline broden

« Reply #236 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 15:44:24 »
I agree, an update would really help right now.
Especially with the holiday season starting, I am already expecting drops of communication in general.
It has been a while though any news are appreciated.

Offline dantambok

« Reply #237 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 21:27:53 »
it's been almost a month, hopefully we get an update  ;D
Stuff  I have
More

100+ GMK sets

Offline qriousgabriel

• aka. gabrlyg
« Reply #238 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 06:52:37 »
Want a cerakote light sand spot, PM or DM qriousgabriel#1988 on discord

Got the spot
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2019, 17:11:05 by qriousgabriel »
HHKB | OTD DGE | FC660C | Realforce | Kaze
WTB Topre Clacks

Offline nuclear_wizard

« Reply #239 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 16:41:03 »
NE updates avail?

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #240 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 19:28:07 »
ne update avail

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #241 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 00:12:52 »
Hey guys,

No major update yet from us. Only thing is that we officially now have all the brass plates in hand as of a week ago and they are good. I will be hand sanding and clear coating them as we ship orders out. We're aiming to get the new (smooth) grey sample by mid-week next week (Wednesday) and finish engraving by end of June, which unlocks the rest of the production process. Had some major life stuff happen in the last couple weeks which is why I haven't given any updates. Unfortunately we're not a 24/7 operation but rest assured we are making progress.

Will post pics when I have em.

Thanks for the patience all

-John

Offline ThomasTH

« Reply #242 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 00:14:10 »
And what about the cherakoted units?? You always evade that question.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline deskcandy

• Keyboards your way.
    • Desk Candy
« Reply #243 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 00:26:22 »
I don't have them yet...I have given my order to the Cerakote vendor a while ago for the unengraved units. I picked up ~50 units for engraving (that's about all I could physically carry and fit into my car, which was about 400 pounds of keyboards) a couple weeks ago and will be making another trip this weekend to push on the vendor.

For Cerakote, we had to redo the "production sample" unit a few times and I am picking up that as well for final QC this weekend before I mail to Jan but at this point I don't want to let that hold back everything else.

Offline Starius

« Reply #244 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 06:06:34 »
Thanks for the update, John!

Offline dwarflemur

« Reply #245 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 08:36:08 »
What's the best way to contact deskcandy? I'm moving at the end of the month and need to change my address. I sent an email a few days ago but haven't heard anything.
Camp C225 | Norbatouch | ALF X2 + X3 | Orange TKL | CA66 | Leaf 60 | a bunch of others

Offline crowKAKAWWW

« Reply #246 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 10:07:15 »
@deskcandy Thanks for the update!
RAMA M60A
KBDFans Frosted Tofu
Desk Candy Modern M0110
---
ALF x Scott G60

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #247 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 10:12:52 »
so, how was the final QC for the cerakote 2 weeks ago?...

Offline dantambok

« Reply #248 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 10:16:04 »
Almost 1 year since this started  :cool:
Stuff  I have
More

100+ GMK sets

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #249 on: Sat, 06 July 2019, 12:24:42 »
Almost 1 year since this started  :cool:

Good reminder! It helps to keep the time frame in perspective, I was just feeling like this GB was taking forever, but it really only has been a year, virtually no time at all for a GB, and this makes me feel better about it, thank you! This really is one of the better GBs