Author Topic: On the hunt for very textured/gritty keycaps. ABS, VarmiloPBT,TaiHaoPBT feels sm  (Read 9610 times)

Offline MechaMechaDroid

Any hope for me? I'm not sure what to look for at this point. I wish full sets of rubber keycaps existed. I deal with "sensitive" skin which reacts badly to smooth materials (mostly plastic.) and makes my fingertips feel uncomfortable / almost gives me goosebumps. I've barely been able to use computers my whole life but I find relief in VERY textured keycaps, which yeah.. PBT have been, but it still feels like it could've been better if there was more texture. Varmilo and Tai Hao doesn't cut it for me. I think I'm screwed. I'd honestly pay even 200 dollars at this point.

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
200 dollars is the standard price!

Jokes apart, surely signature plastic DSA is the roughest Pbt set that I've tried. Or you can try the G20 profile that I've never used.

Offline MechaMechaDroid

Thanks for the response, care to link me to a set of that? "signature plastic DSA" I looked it up (me being clueless at mechanical keyboards) and didn't find much except for something with that name but it said "ABS" and surely the texture would quickly fade if ABS is the case.  :( Or is it actually PBT?

Offline MechaMechaDroid

Jokes apart, surely signature plastic DSA is the roughest Pbt set that I've tried. Or you can try the G20 profile that I've never used.

Thanks for the response, care to link me to a set of that? "signature plastic DSA" I looked it up (me being clueless at mechanical keyboards) and didn't find much except for something with that name but it said "ABS" and surely the texture would quickly fade if ABS is the case.  :( Or is it actually PBT?

Okay yeah, signature plastic DSA PBT exist on the website "pimpmykeyboard" are those what you're talking about? Also https://pimpmykeyboard.com/g20-blank-keysets/ looks really textured (the black picture, it even seems to gather dust.) Curious if the pictures are lying to my "texture detector" brain though! Maybe I'll try the DSA and G20 at the same time.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 April 2019, 16:49:50 by MechaMechaDroid »

Offline _GMK_

Okay yeah, signature plastic DSA PBT exist on the website "pimpmykeyboard" are those what you're talking about? Also https://pimpmykeyboard.com/g20-blank-keysets/ looks really textured (the black picture, it even seems to gather dust.) Curious if the pictures are lying to my "texture detector" brain though! Maybe I'll try the DSA and G20 at the same time.

Yes that's the correct website. Sorry if I didn't link but I'm on mobile

Offline _GMK_

Offline MechaMechaDroid

(Attachment Link)

Woah, those keycaps look very textured. Are they the DSA ones you mentioned? (At Pimpmykeyboard) - Either way both Varmilo and PBT looks textured to me but then I touch them and it just feels like a slightly more 'textured' ABS.. Maybe the DSA/G20 ones feel a bit better. Obviously I don't expect anything "crazy" but as long as the texture is.. y'know textured then hey!

Great looking board!

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
I like the MT3 PBT sets from Massdrop. Texture to me feels reminiscent of the original IBM PBT caps, and the spherical profile is really nice, IMO.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
I really enjoy the texture of EnjoyPBT

Offline pr0ximity

There are various "gamer" keysets that are rubberized, could cobble together a nearly full board if you bought a few sets, though the legends wouldn't be correct (and if you haven't used computers much, touch-typing might not be your forte...)

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Gaming-Backlit-Keycaps-Set/dp/B07P5MD1XD

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4368

Could inquire about full sets with Tai Hao: http://www.tai-hao.com/catalog/ins.php?index_id=65
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline MechaMechaDroid

Will also try out the EnjoyPBT, luckily money is not an issue for such things so will test out DSA/G20 too. The EnjoyPBT seems very similar to Varmilo judging from close ups, but I guess it could differ still. Have you tried any other keycaps so you can make some sort of comparison? They do seem textured though!

Offline MechaMechaDroid

There are various "gamer" keysets that are rubberized, could cobble together a nearly full board if you bought a few sets, though the legends wouldn't be correct (and if you haven't used computers much, touch-typing might not be your forte...)

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Gaming-Backlit-Keycaps-Set/dp/B07P5MD1XD

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4368

Could inquire about full sets with Tai Hao: http://www.tai-hao.com/catalog/ins.php?index_id=65

Thank thank! Will definitely do that as a last resort after trying a few more PBT brands. I never look down when typing so it shouldn't be an issue. :)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
Eh I don't feel like ePBT is that textured tbh. It is a really nice texture, but pretty smooth. The PMK DSA PBT is the highest texture I have tried, and they are pretty nice caps, just depends if you actually like DSA profile.

Offline MechaMechaDroid

Eh I don't feel like ePBT is that textured tbh. It is a really nice texture, but pretty smooth. The PMK DSA PBT is the highest texture I have tried, and they are pretty nice caps, just depends if you actually like DSA profile.

Yeah I feel a bit confident about the DSA. I just have such a hard time believing there is more texture than what Varmilo/TaiHao does.. I mean, it's plastic after all. But I'm very new to mechanical keyboards / key caps in general so I guess it's out there somewhere. Hope the DSA will do the job :) They do look nice, and I wouldn't mind any profile honestly. I just cannot stand the smooth feelings on some keycaps. I'm moving my fingers across the Varmilo right now and they just slide around while I feel almost no texture. Basically feels like ABS almost. Might just be my weird skin, as others seem to think of Varmilo as very textured.

Offline MechaMechaDroid

Yeah I feel a bit confident about the DSA. I just have such a hard time believing there is more texture than what Varmilo/TaiHao has.. I mean, it's plastic after all. But I'm very new to mechanical keyboards / key caps in general so I guess it's out there somewhere. Hope the DSA will do the job :) They do look nice, and I wouldn't mind any profile honestly. I just cannot stand the smooth feelings on some keycaps. I'm moving my fingers across the Varmilo right now and they just slide around while I feel almost no texture. Basically feels like ABS almost. Might just be my weird skin, as others seem to think of Varmilo as very textured.

Ops, I messed up the replies

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder

Will also try out the EnjoyPBT, luckily money is not an issue for such things so will test out DSA/G20 too. The EnjoyPBT seems very similar to Varmilo judging from close ups, but I guess it could differ still. Have you tried any other keycaps so you can make some sort of comparison? They do seem textured though!

I have only tried GMK, Ducky, EnjoyPBT, TaiHao, hhkb stock caps.

Out of all of them, PBT (both enjoy and topre) and GMK are my favorite. I am not a fan of how GMK feels "slimy" after it gets shiny. I have EnjouPBT on my hhkb and I am thinking about selling all of my GMK and getting a set for my MX board also. 

Offline _GMK_

DSA is way rougher than enjoypbt (epbt)

Offline Findecanor

Signature Plastics/Pimp My Keyboard DSA has been available in both ABS and PBT. If it has vibrant colours, it is most often double-shot ABS. PBT keys are almost only printed with darker colours on top of bright plastic.

Signature Plastics has also made DCS profile, which is somewhat grittier and close to Cherry profile in size.
But the bottom rows are more angled than Cherry profile and the keys are thin and almost always in ABS.

I like the MT3 PBT sets from Massdrop. Texture to me feels reminiscent of the original IBM PBT caps, and the spherical profile is really nice, IMO.
I find the key surface to be too small and dished for my fingers. I feel the edges of the keycaps but not the middle.

Offline TopreMoon

Yeah I feel a bit confident about the DSA. I just have such a hard time believing there is more texture than what Varmilo/TaiHao does.. I mean, it's plastic after all. But I'm very new to mechanical keyboards / key caps in general so I guess it's out there somewhere. Hope the DSA will do the job :) They do look nice, and I wouldn't mind any profile honestly. I just cannot stand the smooth feelings on some keycaps. I'm moving my fingers across the Varmilo right now and they just slide around while I feel almost no texture. Basically feels like ABS almost. Might just be my weird skin, as others seem to think of Varmilo as very textured.

Hey! I have a similar preference for textured keycaps...did you ever find a set you enjoy?

Offline HungerMechanic

Be careful with EnjoyPBT. The older sets (say, 2 years ago) had a great texture that may have come from using Gateron blanks.

I hear now the texture is getting worse.

The good ePBT sets have a kind of eggshell texture that is smooth but with micropores for grip. DSA, in comparison, is very coarse and rough. I think several SP profiles like DSA and DSS both have a more porous, rougher texture.

The coarsest, roughest surface I ever used was in some PBT DSA Dolch keycaps from KBDFans:

https://kbdfans.com/products/dsa-dolch-145keys-keycaps

They looked great!