Author Topic: [IC] Valentine & Sanctuary blank keycaps!!  (Read 8206 times)

Offline Paranoid

[IC] Valentine & Sanctuary blank keycaps!!
« on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 02:47:31 »
Hi everyone,

A problem I always have when looking at these awesome kits is that it's almost always in ANSI QWERTY. It's great that they also offer a small ISO kit, but for all the people with difference languages and keyboard layouts I can imagine they don't want the wrong text on their caps. So let's try blanks!
I've contacted hazeluff and jil_jil32 if I can do this (because it's their kit) and we are good to go :)

So I was thinking of the following sets with single (1x) blank keycaps to cover ANSI and ISO boards (normally).

Set 1, dark grey from the Sanctuary kit (function, punctuation and qwerty keys)
Color code GX
13 x row 1
12 x row 2
12 x row 3
11 x row 4
= total of 48 keys

Set 2, white from the Valentine kit (function, punctuation and qwerty keys)
Color code WFK
13 x row 1
12 x row 2
12 x row 3
11 x row 4
= total of 48 keys

Set 3, red from the Sanctuary kit (function keys)
Color code RBV
13 x row 1
= total of 13 keys

To look at the colors you can visit the GB for the invidual keysets (don't forget to order some stuff while you're there ;) ):
Valentine: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34452.0
Sanctuary: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=32969.0

I already asked for a quote from SP and these are the prices for now. I'm hoping we can get at least 25 sets per set! Then the GB will most likely continue.
Set 1 (48 1x keys):
1 set             $220 per set
10 sets          $38 per set
25 sets          $25 per set
50 sets          $21 per set
75 sets          $19 per set

Set 2 (48 1x keys):
1 set             $220 per set
10 sets          $38 per set
25 sets          $25 per set
50 sets          $21 per set
75 sets          $19 per set

Set 3 (13 1x keys):
1 set             $56 per set
10 sets          $10 per set
25 sets          $7 per set
50 sets          $6 per set
75 sets          $5 per set

This is my first Group Buy, but seeing as these are only blank caps and the quantities aren't ridiculous I suppose I can manage ^^ I have no clue yet about the shipping costs but I think they will vary from €10-€20 give or take a couple of euro. I might have to calculate the shipping costs from SP to me in here as well.

Input and constructive comments are always welcome regarding this possible groupbuy, since this would be my first one :)

Now I can only ask you one more thing: INTERESTED?

**UPDATE: Seems some people prefer a full blank keyboard instead of only the function/alpha/punctuation keys. Let us know if you would prefer this!
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 October 2012, 23:31:13 by reaper »

Offline Appeac

Re: [Interest Check] Valentine & Sanctuary blank keycaps!!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 10:16:08 »
So the valentine kit would only include whites, no pink modifiers?

I'd be interested if it were the full 104 or 87.
FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 10:22:24 »
So the valentine kit would only include whites, no pink modifiers?

I'd be interested if it were the full 104 or 87.

Well, the modifiers are not really (that much) language dependant, that's why I didn't include them. You can buy the full kit at the valentine GB, there is no need for me to order the entire set in blanks :)
It would also be much more expensive. But of course if there would be enough interest in a full blank kit, I guess another GB could be started (although I don't see the point). But my main reason for doing this is to support the current GB by providing extra blanks so people with other languages/layouts (like myself) can happily use these sets as well and fully participate in the GB's.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 October 2012, 10:46:12 by reaper »

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 11:03:03 »
Who wants blank alphas but not modifiers? I would only buy a whole blank set and I think that many others feel the same.

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 11:11:07 »
Who wants blank alphas but not modifiers? I would only buy a whole blank set and I think that many others feel the same.

Noted and updated in the post.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 11:55:32 »

I would absolutely love this (the idea, but sadly not the color sets being offered), and I imagine that many people who use non-QWERTY layouts would as well. Every time I see people selling printed sets and blank sets I wish that I could get a mix.

The thing is, for people who use a different layout, the positions of the letters hardly matters to us, because we've taken the time to memorize where everything is (probably twice since we could do it with qwerty before too). So having blank alphas is a neat little thing to represent that we both know where they are by heart and that we're using some "better" layout. It's that "otaku/enthusiast/elitist" kind of look.

And though I love blank alphas, I hate blank number row. I think that most people can't touch type the number row properly, including myself. Some of the numbers I can always get right, but the ones in the middle give me a harder time to get 100% right, such as 567. When typing numbers I often look down at the keyboard if I don't have a numpad. It's kind of neat to have the blank keys surrounded by labelled ones in that contrasting way, the same way that two tone sets have the alphas in one color and the mods in a different color.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 12:08:07 »
I would totally disagree but that is the beauty of life! I have all blank and hate the mix of blank / legends.

Offline Appeac

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 12:17:58 »
The benefit doesn't really shine through if ordering just the alphas, since you can buy a blank 37 key set from WASD for $19.99. The only difference being SP profile vs OEM. A full 87 set is 36.99

Where SP has its advantage is double shots, which you won't get in blanks, obviously. I'd think the prices shown are even a bit high considering the main cost of the normal group buys are setting up molds and the actual process, none of which they have to do for blanks. Not pretending to understand the economics of keycap production, by any means.
FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 12:20:53 »
Of course they have to set up the molds for this. I wouldnt buy WASD's crappy profile again, SP's profile is the best currently available to us.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 12:24:18 »
I'd never mix profiles again, unless it's F row keys or a cluster of keys. Having different profiles in the alphas is just weird
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 12:45:53 »
I imagine this was intended to order as a sort of supplementary kit for the original group buys, no?
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 12:52:18 »
Or I was hoping that I could get a blank set of mods as that is all that I will be using from it!

Offline DarkShot

• Professional Procrastinator
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 15:52:14 »
Or I was hoping that I could get a blank set of mods as that is all that I will be using from it!

A group buy consisting of a base black or white alpha set and 'add-on' modifier sets in different colours?

Offline placebo guy

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 21:47:10 »
If this does go through, make sure to pay for SP sorting.

I recall iMav having a wonderful time sorting through the blanks for Group Buy R3.

I didn't get my order with blanks until a month after most received their keycaps.
Leopold TKL MXRed; RF 103U 55G; WASD MXBlack; Unicomp Spacesaver; AT101W; RK-9000 Blue; various Filco

Offline Kaysa

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 00:47:33 »
I will consider getting this if it is a full 87 or 104 keys.
I do not have any blank modifiers.
full blank of PBT if possible.
Currently Using:
HHKB Pro2 Black with Pink blank keycaps
Topre Realforce 10th Anniversary 2nd Batch "Silent" Varied Weight force.

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 02:36:00 »
I imagine this was intended to order as a sort of supplementary kit for the original group buys, no?

It was exactly intended as this, as an add-on for the people who ordered those kits. But I see this is going in a completely different direction as I'm not seeing anyone interested in just the alphas for this kit. A completely blank kit would be awesome, don't get me wrong, but this wasn't the initial idea.

I also asked SP about the sorting and PBT stuff.
Sorting the caps by SP is an additional $0.05 per keycap per set.
PBT has different color codes than ABS, but doesn't cost more.