Author Topic: Cherry MX Red with different springs?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline diazel

Cherry MX Red with different springs?
« on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 07:04:20 »
Recently I've spent most of my time typing on either "Holy" Pandas V2 (ps, couldn't care less about the controversy because they're still amazing), or Cherry MX browns. I've been experimenting with some silent linears (mx blacks, alpacas, and sakurios) so I've got a tester board with the switches set up like one might do when comparing.

Then I switched it up and grabbed my Cougar Puri TKL with cherry mx reds and after typing on them for only a few minutes I noticed typing fatigue on par with Cherry clears. Thinking that was strange because reds are usually super light, I compared them with the silent tester board and discovered the springs on the reds felt noticeably stiffer than the 62g sakurios and almost on par with the silent blacks. Grabbing a different mx red board (Hyper X) and comparing with the Cougar and again, very noticeable difference.

Finally, my question: Are there scenarios where keeb manufacturers might request a different spring in a standard mx red? I have to assume that Cougar (or whoever manufactured it for Cougar) didn't split the switches and changed the springs themselves so I'm left thinking either a mix up on the line or a custom request for Cougar.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Re: Cherry MX Red with different springs?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 15:32:01 »
It probably has to do with the spring tolerances.  Spring tolerance with Cherry is 15 - 20gf in force so you can find   springs that have deviation from advertised  forces.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!