Author Topic: worst keyboard ever?  (Read 120686 times)

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
worst keyboard ever?
« on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 11:27:15 »
Hey all,

Does anyone have a strong opinion about which keyboard should hold the title of "Worst Keyboard Ever"?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a modern (PC/Mac) computer keyboard, although it should be a for a computer; not something for a point-of-service system, calculator watch, or the control panel for a Trident submarine's nuclear trigger.

Membrane and chiclet keyboards don't count, as they're ringers.  Full-travel keyboards only.

It should also be a quality present in all keyboards of that line, not just a circumstantial exception (e.g., that PC Jr. keyboard you spilled a jar of honey in).

This topic came to mind this morning when I spent some time with (my nomination ... drum-roll please) an Atari XEGS.  That is the only computer keyboard I know of that fights back.  It is so bad, I dare anyone to touch-type on it for longer than 60 seconds.

-cam

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 11:51:47 »
The previous generation apple wireless keyboard.  as rubber domes go, they are the absolute worst.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline Waves77

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 12:54:13 »
OPKs! (Other people's keyboard's)

Having such a nice collection of boards at home (at work I use my thinkpad), whenever I'm using someone else computer I'm like... "Dude! This is like the worst keyboard EVER!". I'm just a snob like that :D

Presently I really dislike the keyboards Apple provides for iMacs.
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline lexicon

• http://www.word-detective.com
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 14:49:33 »
I second that.  My wife just bought a 24" iMac and I could not believe the keyboard it came with.  Very pretty, if you're into the Mac aesthetic, which I ain't.  But type on it?  Fuhgeddaboudit.  Pretentious and useless.  She uses an ancient Gateway keyboard.
IBM Model M 1391401 (1989)
IBM Model M 52G9658 (1993) x2
Unicomp Customizer 101 (black)
Solidtek ASK-6600U
Dell AT101W (way too many)
Dell AT101W (black)
Silicon Graphics AT-101 (1993)
Cherry G84-4100

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 14:54:22 »
Think back to the G3 days. I had a bubble iMac that came with an Apple spacesaver keyboard. It was a membrane job and they shortened it by cutting out the cursor cluster and leaving the number pad. That was one of the worst keyboards ever made.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 15:27:27 »
Quote from: xsphat;8166
Think back to the G3 days. I had a bubble iMac that came with an Apple spacesaver keyboard. It was a membrane job and they shortened it by cutting out the cursor cluster and leaving the number pad. That was one of the worst keyboards ever made.

Agreed.  Plus, IIRC, that was also the era of the ill-conceived hockey-puck mouse.  For a company so concerned about "interface", I frequently wonder what kind of glue they're sniffing.

-cam

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)

Offline Eclairz

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 18:19:20 »
http://www.keysonic.de/pages/keyboards/ACK_109_BL/ack_109_bl_uk.html

These pure membrane keyboards are the worst to type on but then i guess i remember an even worse one this one

http://uk.gizmodo.com/2006/04/26/supercool_virtual_laser_keyboa.html

i heard its a keyboard which will actually misinterpret your key presses
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline Ulysses31

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 19:00:27 »
Typing on one of those feels similar to typing on a dead octopus.  I was about to mention that type until I actually read the above post, damn it >_O

Offline Eclairz

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 19:01:57 »
what does typing on living octopus feel like?
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline Ulysses31

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 20:27:37 »
Don't go prying into my personal life now >_>...

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 30 August 2008, 21:57:17 »
Quote from: Ulysses31;8178
Typing on one of those feels similar to typing on a dead octopus.  I was about to mention that type until I actually read the above post, damn it >_O

I love it!  "Dead octopus" is exactly what my apple keyboard feels like.

Quote from: Eclairz
what does typing on living octopus feel like?

You'd think there'd be some feedback, wouldn't you? =-D
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline dw_junon

• http://www.9999hp.net/
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 31 August 2008, 16:47:30 »
I have an ASTKB102, which if I remember correctly uses a Keytronic capacitive setup.  Given the potential on offer with capacitive switching, and the expense of having it, it's very disappointing.

In addition to a shaft moved by the keycap, there was also a loose rubber dome that sits between it and the keycap.  I can only hope that this has decayed over the years and lost some springiness, because the keys very little resistance.  As for feedback, there was some travel on offer, so bottoming out's your feedback.  And as bonus feedback, you might get characters on your monitor.

Besides the switching, there were other signs of grand ideas; heavy block-like construction, substantial risers with a very tense spring holding them down, two-shot keycaps, and shiny silver AST logo.  So, considering the potential from the effort made, it is the worst thing actually to type on I possess.  But yeah, the age could have something to do with it, so perhaps this is inadmissible.
ARC/Chicony KB-5181 XT/AT blue ALPS? 101 US FCC ID E8H51KKB-5181 • AST ASTKB102 AT capacitive rubber dome 102 UK ISO
Cherry G80-2100 AT black Cherry 126 key German ISO unique • Compaq Enhanced III PS/2 unknown rubber dome 102 UK ISO
Datacomp DFK102ARA03 AT 102 blue ALPS? US/Arabic FCC ID blank, S/N 37880001 • Dell AT102W PS/2 Black ALPS 105 UK ISO x2
Fujitsu KFB4725-102 AT membrane rubber dome with spring 105 UK ISO • Hewlett Packard C1405A AT rubber dome 102 UK ISO
IBM 0989705 XT/AT no LEDs Model M 102 US/Arabic  • IBM 1388076 Industrial AT Model M 102 UK ISO
IBM 1389260 3179/3180 Display Station Model M 122 US 3270 x2 • IBM 1391406 PS/2 Model M 102 UK ISO x2
IBM 1397003 PS/2 Model M "Host Connect" emulator 122 German ISO • IBM 71G4643 PS/2 Model M Quiet Touch "Ouch!    Rubber spring" 102 UK ISO x2
IBM 5640987 3178 Display Station Model C2 capacitive buckling spring 87 key US 3270 • IBM 556-712-01 RT PC rubber dome [same as 2nd PCjr kbd?] 101 US
IBM 6450225 PC/AT capacitive buckling spring 84 key UK PC/AT • Lexmark 8125460 Model M2 102 UK ISO
NMB RT-102 117456-002 AT Hi-Tek black, clicky 102 UK ISO • Olivetti ANK 2462 M24 Personal Computer keyboard 2 clicky Olivetti spring module 102 UK unique
Ortek MCK-142Pro AT white ALPS 142 key UK • Sun 540-1006-03 Type unknown linear(?) keyswitch 2 87 key SunType2
Wang 724 725-3771-UK salmon ALPS 110 key UK Wang724 • Making this list hasn\'t half scared me...
[/I]

Offline lowpoly

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 September 2008, 10:53:39 »
Quote from: dw_junon;8221
I have an ASTKB102, which if I remember correctly uses a Keytronic capacitive setup.

It's standard rubber dome. Here's my mini-review.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline Busty

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 21 September 2008, 11:40:07 »
The worst keyboard I ever used was that of the OLPC. The minuscule size might have been acceptable, but the keys only registered when hit center, straight and hard. No feedback what so ever, even hitting the bottom didn't mean it was registered. To make matters worse, keys tended to get stuck, especially the modifiers at the outside of the board.  
This experience triggered my interest in keyboards.

Offline Therac-25

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 10:44:55 »
Everything on here so far is a luxury.

That was the first computer keyboard I ever used.

NEVER AGAIN.
das keyboard model s professional
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Tenkeyless Blue
Model M Mini

Offline Therac-25

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 10:50:00 »
I don't know if you ever used the Atari 800XL keyboard -- it was probably the same basic tech as the Atari XE line -- but it sounds like what you described as.  It's a horrible keyboard.  That being said, my only point of comparison at the time was the Atari 400 keyboard -- so it was luxurious back then.

The one that's been the worst to touch type on is the current Mac keyboards.  I hate these things:

I have this one at work that I hate typing on because of it's atrocious layout.  

It was originally acquired for a living room HTPC setup, as it has a long (8-10ft) cord.  Logitech marketed this for the Playstation 2, and it's useful to keep at work.  Just horrible to use if you actually need to type.  It doesn't have scissor switches or anything, it's just a low-set rubber dome style.
Model M Mini

Offline cmr

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 10:52:31 »

there can be no doubt.

Offline Therac-25

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 11:05:39 »
Honestly, even though membrane keyboards were ruled out, this does deserve some kind of honorable mention:

During it's later years, I actually had to hit the keyboard as hard as I could in order to get it to type an "E".
Model M Mini

Offline wellington1869

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 14:06:22 »
Quote from: Therac-25;16632
Honestly, even though membrane keyboards were ruled out, this does deserve some kind of honorable mention:

but its so easy to clean!

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Qwertyuiop

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 30 December 2008, 23:21:40 »
I can't remember the model number of either the keyboard or that of what it came with unfortunately, but it was a keyboard with a DEC Unix workstation, models current in the early 90s. I don't know what technology the keys used, but they were very stiff, and the force required increased the further you pressed, but there was no tactile feedback of the key registering. They felt like leaf springs or something similar. If I hadn't already had CTS I'd have gotten it using this thing; it was quite painful to use.
several Model M\'s, Apple Adjustable Keyboard

Offline zwmalone

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 31 December 2008, 18:35:13 »

I HATE this keyboard.  It was included with my PowerMac G4 a few years back.  Loved the machine, hated the keyboard.  It felt absolutely horrible.  A $2 keyboard that you get from other OEMs feels better than that.  What is odd is that it has a metal backplate and such sucky feeling.  They should have saved the money and invested in some decent switches.  The thing is Apple is hawking this product at premium prices.  When it was available this keyboard was also sold separately for $79.99.  I'm sure the people that didn't get it for free felt seriously ripped off.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline bigpook

No, this is the worst keyboard ever...
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 31 December 2008, 18:44:34 »
I don't own it, but how can you go wrong for $2.99.

It can be had at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823157004

The reviews are postive. Anyone want to give it a go?
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline Therac-25

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 31 December 2008, 21:28:13 »
Quote from: zwmalone;16830
Show Image

I HATE this keyboard.  It was included with my PowerMac G4 a few years back.  Loved the machine, hated the keyboard.  It felt absolutely horrible.  A $2 keyboard that you get from other OEMs feels better than that.  What is odd is that it has a metal backplate and such sucky feeling.  They should have saved the money and invested in some decent switches.  The thing is Apple is hawking this product at premium prices.  When it was available this keyboard was also sold separately for $79.99.  I'm sure the people that didn't get it for free felt seriously ripped off.

I got the Bluetooth version of that when I bought my G5 iMac.

Apple managed to make a keyboard so much worse with the Alu iMacs, that I've almost forgotten how bad their previous attempt was.
Model M Mini

Offline Therac-25

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 00:14:01 »
Yeurgh.  I just pulled down my Atari 800XL from the shelf to see what it's keyboard was like.

Does Atari hold a patent on a sponge-based keyswitch or something?  It's like typing in molasses.

That being said, it's a not half bad layout.
Model M Mini

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 00:32:47 »
Quite honestly, I think Apple has made such crap keyboards for so long, they deserve the top honors. They went from using Alps switches to the membrane crap in the Apple Design Keyboard, and they are still terrible. They gave me an aluminum one with my computer at work, I brought in an Alps slim line membrane because it is so much better.

Offline Therac-25

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 00:49:17 »
Quote from: xsphat;16847
Quite honestly, I think Apple has made such crap keyboards for so long, they deserve the top honors. They went from using Alps switches to the membrane crap in the Apple Design Keyboard, and they are still terrible. They gave me an aluminum one with my computer at work, I brought in an Alps slim line membrane because it is so much better.

*nods*.  The only real competition for Apple for "most pain inflicted with a keyboard" honours is the Atari 400, simply because it was so excruciatingly painful.

The current alu iMac board is so horrible to type on that I wonder how anyone could have thought it was a good idea.   Maybe one of the designers there was competing to see how bad a keyboard he could get someone to sign off on.
Model M Mini

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 01:38:53 »
That's what happens when form overtakes function, and what happens when a company is ran by a tyrannical egomaniac.

Hey, did you hear they are coming out with a netbook this year?

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 02:10:45 »
Every time my iBook breaks, or the one time I tried to work on it... (Well, OK, the hard drive did get installed, and the machine booted, but the case didn't come together right at all...)

Yeah, I was cursing Steve Jobs's name. :p

(<3 the Apple II. Woz FTW. A IIGS only needs a screwdriver for two things - installing expansion cards that use external ports (which I don't have any) or opening up the power supply. Otherwise, the machine is completely toolless. :D)

Of course, if we're in the retrocomputing realm... I'd like to nominate the Mattel Aquarius. It actually had rubber keys, but... dear god, they were horrible. I think it and the PC Jr were competing for "worst non-direct-membrane keyboard." :p

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 06:47:39 »
I've replaced the hard drive in a G4 iBook (last gen, 12").  That was the suck.

I love how it has always been so easy in the MacBooks.  (have a 500GB hdd in my current "glassbook")

As far as bad keyboards are concerned, I won't nominate any short throw scissor switches (including the new Apple keyboards).  The short throw does save on trauma.  The real bad 'boards are the ones with full travel that require you to jam your fingers, full force, to the bottom of the keystroke.

Offline lodc

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 07:47:55 »
Quote from: xsphat;8166

Show Image

+1 for this horrid device.  I have one and the crapmaster mouse that goes with it.  Truly awful to type even the shortest things with; its torture to enter a url much less actually write anything.  i included the mouse in a photo i posted on the mouse pictures thread recently.  its pure evil.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 01 January 2009, 08:19:42 »
The think worst keyboard I have used is the Datalux Microtype with MEI switches. I only bought it because it looked odd. Instead of the screen in the middle it has the paging block.

The switches are stiff linear, and use rubber pieces instead of a spring. It feels to me like the keyboard does not want to be typed on. I think someone who stabs at the keys would not mind it, however. I believe they use Cherry ML switches in the Desk model now.

Offline zwmalone

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 02 January 2009, 17:59:39 »
Quote from: Chloe;16888
The think worst keyboard I have used is the Datalux Microtype with MEI switches. I only bought it because it looked odd. Instead of the screen in the middle it has the paging block.

Show Image

The switches are stiff linear, and use rubber pieces instead of a spring. It feels to me like the keyboard does not want to be typed on. I think someone who stabs at the keys would not mind it, however. I believe they use Cherry ML switches in the Desk model now.

Show Image

I've got one of those Datalux boards too.  I gave it to my mom, she uses it.  Once you get it broken in it's quite light to the touch.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline Therac-25

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 02 January 2009, 22:42:12 »
Just found this one in the keyboard box in the basement while digging out my Model M.

The best that can be said is that it's faster than stylus input...
Model M Mini

Offline eugenius

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 03 January 2009, 08:54:19 »
Saitek Aluminium keyboard. Horrible horrible typing feel, broke in 2 days.
Cherry ErgoPlus MX5000 + MX5700 / IBM Model M

Offline lam47

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 03 January 2009, 09:35:13 »
This was from before I joined the forum.
I thought it was going to be something special but its just rubbish in every way.
The rubber domes were glued to the membrane, a lot of them so far off centre that the keys all felt different. Some would push the dome on the side and squash it sideways onto the contact. It just felt broken.
Also the macro keys could not be pressed if you were holding any other key.
It was the worst keyboard to type or play games on.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline Therac-25

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 03 January 2009, 21:35:44 »
Quote from: lam47;16994
This was from before I joined the forum.
I thought it was going to be something special but its just rubbish in every way.
The rubber domes were glued to the membrane, a lot of them so far off centre that the keys all felt different. Some would push the dome on the side and squash it sideways onto the contact. It just felt broken.
Also the macro keys could not be pressed if you were holding any other key.
It was the worst keyboard to type or play games on.
Show Image

Hehe, I nearly took an axe to it's successor the other night.

They do seem to be distinctly worse than even the cheap ass keyboards.

It boggles the mind that it's more expensive than a Model M or M10.
Model M Mini

Offline itlnstln

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 05 January 2009, 01:42:27 »
Quote from: Therac-25;17023
It boggles the mind that it's more expensive than a Model M or M10.

Well, someone has to pay for that shiny logo on the wrist rest.

In other news, I visited the keyboard section of my local Best Buy while buying a Blu-Ray player to check out what were the "hot" 'boards out right now.  While I have not spent significant time with it, I played around with a Logitech Wave and kinda liked it.  Even though it has rubber domes, the keys felt like a dampened black Alps.  It was light to the touch, had a fairly crisp tactile bump, and a solid, yet soft, landing.  These domes are definitely different than anything else I have used dome-wise before.  I tried a few others (including an MS Natural 4000 which I own), and the Wave has a very different feel to it.  I would imagine it feels similar to the "buckling rubber sleeves" iMav refers to in the dome version of the Model M.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 05 January 2009, 01:46:56 »
Quote from: itlnstln;17088
Even though it has rubber domes, the keys felt like a dampened black Alps.

I have an NMB keyboard that feels like that and even sounds like Alps blacks. It is the best membrane I've used, with the exception on the Model M mini I am typing this post on.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 05 January 2009, 09:09:19 »
Quote from: itlnstln;17088
I would imagine it feels similar to the "buckling rubber sleeves" iMav refers to in the dome version of the Model M.

To clarify, that's in reference to the Model M4, M6, and M6-1. (The M6 versions being the two original ThinkPad keyboards.)

The rubber dome Model M is just a conventional rubber dome.

Offline cchan

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 05 January 2009, 20:52:11 »
Okay... I can confidently say that the worst keyboard I've ever tried is Cherry FTSC. No tactile response whatsoever, mushy squidgy key feel and landing, et cetera. Basically makes no effort at all to disguise that it is a plunger over a membrane. Even plunger-over-rubber-dome would be better than this.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 22 January 2009, 14:43:59 »
Quote from: Therac-25;16627
I don't know if you ever used the Atari 800XL keyboard -- it was probably the same basic tech as the Atari XE line -- but it sounds like what you described as.

I have an 800XL here, and indeed that keyboard is a spongy morass of anguish, but it still pales compared to the XEGS keyboard.  The XEGS keyboard is more akin to the keyboards with the Atari ST line, but stiffer.

Somehow, I once completed a writing project of 200k words on an Atari 1040ST, but cringe every time I press a single number key on the XEGS while playing "Miner 2049er".

By way of introduction:  this is the Atari XEGS keyboard in person (the keyboard is detachable):

and this is the Atari XEGS keyboard in spirit:

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 04 April 2009, 12:59:41 »
The LK201 keyboards used on DEC's video terminals. Cool layout but very short travel and absolutely no tactility.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 04 April 2009, 14:26:43 »
I had the distinct displeasure of using a co-worker's PC with a recent Compaq pack-in keyboard.

The keys are like laptop keys-- about half the height of typical keys, but the feel isn't like a good laptop.  So although the layout is basically conventional, the same amount of motion intended to push down a full-sized key will end up half the time striking Caps Lock when you want A.  (notably, there isn't as much of a notch around Caps Lock as on a good keyboard)

I find I actually type decently on a netbook (10") keyboard, probably because I expect the layout and size to be a bit different and work accordingly, but here my accuracy was appaling (and it was on a shared-screen teleconference :blush:)

It lies COMPLETELY flat (because one of the back legs is broken).  I'm a bit fascinated by this.  The evolution of keyboards seems to be heading  less and less steep-- compare an Apple IIe with an IBM M with a Logitech DiNovo.  I always thought the angling served an ergonomic purpose.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline bigpook

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 05 April 2009, 08:05:23 »
The angling versus flat is interesting. My knee jerk response is yes, angling is more ergonomic. But then I got to thinking about my laptop that I use at work, and that is basically flat. I don't seem to have any issues when I do type on it, but much prefer using the filco mini that I carry in the laptop bag.
I am thinking it really doesn't matter, but I personally prefer an angled keyboard.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline CX23882

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 18:49:13 »
By far the worst keyboard I have ever used is the one built into the ASUS EeePC. The issue is not the small size but the fact that you have to bash the keys, and bash them dead-centre to get them to register. Just terrible all-round and I found it so infuriating that I returned my EeePC after 3 days. A few months later I tried an EeePC 900 and it had the same terrible keyboard and at that point I lost faith in the product.

Offline DarthShrine

• http://blog.darthshrine.com
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 19:20:48 »
Quote from: CX23882;28234
By far the worst keyboard I have ever used is the one built into the ASUS EeePC. The issue is not the small size but the fact that you have to bash the keys, and bash them dead-centre to get them to register. Just terrible all-round and I found it so infuriating that I returned my EeePC after 3 days. A few months later I tried an EeePC 900 and it had the same terrible keyboard and at that point I lost faith in the product.

I stuck with my EeePC 701 for a while and actually don't mind the keyboard. The keys on the edge sometimes require far too much force, but otherwise it's alright. I've also tried the EeePC 900, but it has a worse keyboard in my opinion.
Das Keyboard Ultimate
IBM Model M 1391401 (born in 1990)
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2

Offline Mikecase00

• http://www.mikecase.net
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 19:56:51 »
Add another vote for those sleek looking but worthless aluminum boards Apple is shipping.  They were clearly built by a "designer" not by someone who types for any length of time.  

My office just added one to go with a Mac Mini in one of the conference rooms.  The key travel is too short, the keys are too large and they have no curvature for your finger to snuggle into.  There appears to be no feedback, tactile or auditory, when a key is pressed.  The experience is so off-putting I can barely type at all on the damn thing.  They feel solidly built though.

Strangely several of the design guys in my office find the user experience pleasant on these abominations.  Of course, I think they only use keyboards to toggle keyboard shortcuts in Photoshop so maybe design is more important than function for them anyway.
IBM Model M 1391401 (dyed black) w/ keys from M-13
IBM M-13 Trackpoint (naturally black)
IBM Model M 1392934 SpaceSaver
Several plain IBM 1391401 Ms
Epson Equity Q203A
http://www.mikecase.net

Offline Hyperion

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 11 April 2009, 01:11:49 »

School keyboards....

School keyboards in the music centre.

I'm currently using a Wireless keyboard 3000 that is nearly halfway through its life in just 5 months, although I am expecting my Das III in 2 days.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 11 April 2009, 02:10:43 »
Welcome to geekhack Hyperion.  Any "relation" to the Belgian software company (Hyperion Entertainment)?

As an Amiga admirer, that's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw your username.  :)

Offline cchan

worst keyboard ever?
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 11 April 2009, 06:07:25 »
Welcome! I think we can all agree with you on the AAK and the Dell boards. Also, are you another fountain pen user> I notice you have a nib in your userpic.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above