Author Topic: Cherry Brown Wear-In Period?  (Read 7195 times)

Offline Corsa1r

Cherry Brown Wear-In Period?
« on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 02:13:42 »
Hey guys, I recently picked up a new Cherry Brown board (Ganss GS-87) while my Ducky (with blues) is in the shop.  I had never used a board with browns before and I, for one, am surprised how much more linear these feel than the blues.  I don't dislike it, however, but I did have a question:

Are brand new brown switches supposed to feel 'scratchy' until they're worn in?  They feel slightly dry and scratchy or 'fuzzy' going down, right around where the bump hits. Nothing severe, just very subtley.

I ask because I wanted to know if this is normal or maybe if the switches need greased or something.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 January 2016, 02:31:39 by Corsa1r »
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Cherry Brown Wear-In Period?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 02:52:40 »
Many say that browns are just scratchy reds.

The tactile bump is certainly much less than that in blues.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Connly33

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 03:28:33 »
I still dont have long term experience with very many switches, but i recently built a Cherry MX Clear board, coming from an MX blue board that i had been using for a year the clears felt a bit scratchy at first, and after a week it does feel like they have gotten a good amount smoother, at least on the keys that are used the most frequently. I deffinitly feel a difference from the number keys i dont use very often, as compared to the Alpha keys and spacebar. I've done quite a bit of typing already, a few 3 - 5 page papers and daily use stuff.

Edit: My perceived scratchiness on the clears was after the actuation point of the switch.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 January 2016, 03:31:53 by Connly33 »

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline Bucake

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 04:12:06 »
about 7000 hours of serious typing
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 10:21:15 »
Time til they don't feel like ****? Eh, 10-15ish years of typing
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 10:33:22 »
Apart from the break-in period, MX Browns don't work quite the same as MX Blues. Cherry achieve the tactility in their tactile switches in a very rudimentary way which leads to a rather unclean and unsatisfying keyfeel, at least in my opinion. MX Brown is a rather polarising switch.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 13:32:41 »

Interestingly enough, when I swapped in MX Clear into my old G80-11800 from 1999, the old MX Browns felt much smoother than their modern Cherry counter parts. 15ish years sounds correct.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 13:33:19 »

Interestingly enough, when I swapped in MX Clear into my old G80-11800 from 1999, the old MX Browns felt much smoother than their modern Cherry counter parts. 15ish years sounds correct.

Yep, that's why when I buy cherry I only go for older stuff. I really can't stand new cherry switches anymore

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 17:14:45 »
Thanks for the replies. I notice that when I'm really typing ( I generally type around 75 wpm),  I don't notice the scratchiness almost at all, and it's actually a very pleasurable typing experience in that way.

I think between wearing these switches in (hopefully it doesn't take literal years), and getting used to the lighter actuation, I'll really begin liking them more and more.
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 13:36:30 »
Thats an interesting point; whether you should type on them for a year or two (or more) before adding lube to actually wear in any surface imperfections on the plastic itself.
-Dana

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 14:00:43 »
It'll be a while before they smoothen out. Also, depends on how sensitive you are about it.

I prefer Gateron Brown and Zealio switches, but when I'm focusing on what I'm typing, rather than the typing itself, it all dissolves into the background anyways.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 15:43:49 »
I can't stand scratchy switches either, which is why I don't have any Cherry boards anymore. If it bothers you, try Topre switches. Buttery smooth. Some say it's like typing on clay tablets, whatever that means. But I doubt you'll find anything smoother.

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 19:46:03 »
Thanks for the replies. I notice that when I'm really typing ( I generally type around 75 wpm),  I don't notice the scratchiness almost at all, and it's actually a very pleasurable typing experience in that way.

I think between wearing these switches in (hopefully it doesn't take literal years), and getting used to the lighter actuation, I'll really begin liking them more and more.

Ignore the Cherry MX brown hate.  They are fine switches.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 21:49:34 »

Yeap...when you press them slowly they feel terrible..but when using them you don't notice it at all and they feel pretty good.

When they wear, they feel even better..even when you press them slowly...but it does take awhile...Either way, if you hen peck for sure browns will feel terrible..if you're typing at a reasonable speed they'll be fine..

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:45:04 »
So, I got this board on the 14th of January, and in the last few days, I've been typing fairly constantly on this between work and home.  I'm already noticing a slightly smoother push through the actuation.  Less of that 'fine sand grit' feel through and past the bump.  This is leading to a much smoother return to form after each key press.  During the manufacturing of these switches, is there potentially plastic 'dust' that somehow sits down in the stem somewhere?  Regardless, the alphas  feel 2x as good as they did when I first got this.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 15:55:57 »
Think mine got real smooth and light after like 2 months and I ****ing hate it, I always make mistakes. New Browns are so much better.

Replacing the springs when I can get my case apart with 62g.

Offline wockytocky

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 16:26:27 »
I can't stand scratchy switches either, which is why I don't have any Cherry boards anymore. If it bothers you, try Topre switches. Buttery smooth. Some say it's like typing on clay tablets, whatever that means. But I doubt you'll find anything smoother.

Alternatively, Gateron switches are closer in feel to their Cherry counterparts and are much smoother. I'd say the difference is especially noticeable when comparing cherry reds to gateron reds; one feels amazing, the other can be almost unbearable

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:22:54 »
Which one is unbearable?

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 23:41:22 »
the posts here are discouraging. When I did research to know what switch to go for I went for brown, because my research indicated they are a good switch to game and type. I mostly game. Sometimes and rarely I dont feel like i pressed the button down enough and it doesnt register but so far I have had them for about 2 weeks and I am happy.
Ducky Shine 5 w Mx Browns  | White fox w Zelio's purple 67g | Gateron Blank set

Current Aims: Jack O Lantern is my end game cap. Looking for one.
                                                   --> MrLooolz's Classified. <--

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 23:50:43 »
stock new mx browns are probably the worst MX switch for be, behind stock mx reds, like Hwood said, after a good amount of use, they become smooth.  Lubed vintage browns actually jump up to one of the best switches IMO. 
Hi :)

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 00:05:43 »
To all the hate on MX Browns here, remember that switches are purely a preference.  There might be some differences in quality between clones, but the feel of the switch is utterly subjective. Some like zealios and clears while I much prefer browns.  Neither is right nor wrong.  I have a board with MX Blues and I'm dying for my browns whenever I use it.  It all boils down to what you prefer, be it linear, clicky, a pronounced bump, "scratchiness", topre smoothness, etc.  No one feel is superior to the others so you really just need to try for yourself.  Ignore all the noise of people trying to jerk themselves for their switch choice and choose for yourself.  Best of luck with the journey of finding the switch for you.   :))
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 13:32:39 »
the posts here are discouraging. When I did research to know what switch to go for I went for brown, because my research indicated they are a good switch to game and type. I mostly game. Sometimes and rarely I dont feel like i pressed the button down enough and it doesnt register but so far I have had them for about 2 weeks and I am happy.

Goes to show how different peoples preferences are, I always bottom out playing csgo, and it's starting to hurt.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 13:35:41 »
I don't mean to add to the discouragement but I typed on browns for four years and soon as I started trying other switch types, that board hasn't been touched.

Now this may just be because I'm addicted to new experiences, but I don't find myself wanting to type on that board any more.

But it's better than my rubber dome they gave me at work so I'm gonna bring it into the office.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 13:43:46 »
I think browns are a good starting point for anyone interested in mechanicals.  I installed some nice PBTs on this brown board and the sound and feel are really starting to come into their own (even though it doesn't feel all that tactile), it's still turning into an extremely pleasurable typing/gaming experience for me.

Different strokes, I really like it.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 13:48:36 »
I think browns are a good starting point for anyone interested in mechanicals.  I installed some nice PBTs on this brown board and the sound and feel are really starting to come into their own (even though it doesn't feel all that tactile), it's still turning into an extremely pleasurable typing/gaming experience for me.

Different strokes, I really like it.

If there's anything I've learned from this hobby it's that if it works for you, then it works.

Don't jump on the bandwagons. There is no objective best and to think otherwise is to start the never-ending quest for perfection.

I think the term different strokes for different folks was made for keyboard enthusiasts  :))
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 05:59:33 »
After 2 years, my browns are STILL scratchy. Since my Topre's I can indeed say that typing on Topre's is butter smooth and that Browns indeed are scratchy. Initially, I didn't mind. But now that I mostly use Clears at home, my Browns at the office start to annoy me. But if you're happy with 'em browns, good for you. I've used them for 2 years straight and do not regret.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 13:43:31 »
After 2 years, my browns are STILL scratchy. Since my Topre's I can indeed say that typing on Topre's is butter smooth and that Browns indeed are scratchy. Initially, I didn't mind. But now that I mostly use Clears at home, my Browns at the office start to annoy me. But if you're happy with 'em browns, good for you. I've used them for 2 years straight and do not regret.

Trust me, you'll have to wait much longer than 2 years for them to lose the scratchiness :))

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 15:09:36 »
Even my blues on a brand new Logitech g710 felt scratchy.  The ML switches on some new g84-based boards felt even worse.  But as I've used these boards, even just a handful of times, the scratchiness seems to go away or at least become much less noticeable.  I think you're going to find it better and better as you keep using it, just as I have. :thumb:

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 06:39:30 »

Trust me, you'll have to wait much longer than 2 years for them to lose the scratchiness :))

Yeah, I guess after I have found a better driver at the office, my Filco will go into my collectibles. I really don't like browns that much anymore... especially now that I'm used to the actuation force of the clears. I feel like ramming on my browns now.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 07:59:03 »
To all the hate on MX Browns here, remember that switches are purely a preference.  There might be some differences in quality between clones, but the feel of the switch is utterly subjective.
Sure, tell us about all the love for Cherry MY or Fujitsu Peerless switches.

!@#$ subjectivists.

Offline saxophone

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 08:09:33 »
In my opinion pretty much all *new* cherry switches feel scratchy when pressed. I don't remember any of this with the qpad mk-50 with reds that I bought many years ago. Something was wrong with the enter key and I had it replaced, but the new board feels scratchy to type on despite being of the same model + switch.

Also the tactile part feels broken on both cherry and kailh browns. Some can be felt more strongly than others. That disappears if you repeatedly push down the strong feedback ones on the top or the bottom corners of the keycap rather than centering on it. All in all it leaves things inconsistent feeling. Also tactility can be felt much more on the return stroke than when pressing down the key.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 08:43:03 »
To all the hate on MX Browns here, remember that switches are purely a preference.  There might be some differences in quality between clones, but the feel of the switch is utterly subjective.

!@#$ subjectivists.
Pfah, those are heavenly compared to Key Tronic foam and foil and Amstrad spring over membrane :D .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 09:20:40 »
Get a HHKB, Demik will tell you why!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 15:16:27 »

!@#$ subjectivists.
Pfah, those are heavenly compared to Key Tronic foam and foil and Amstrad spring over membrane :D .

Oh god, don't remind me...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 15:37:53 »
takes at least 5000 keypresses to begin feeling smooth..  10,000 and it's about as smooth as it's gonna get.