Author Topic: Planck End Game Case (High Profile) Anodize Color update!  (Read 85635 times)

Offline Danilo_dk

Re: Planck End Game Case (High Profile) FIRST SAMPLE ARRIVED
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 11:58:07 »
Hey everyone,

If anyone else is interested in a carbon fiber plate, there is currently an interest check over on Reddit. Initially there was not going to be a plate compatible with this high profile case, but after suggesting it to the OP he said he could do it.

So if anyone else wants it to happen as well, head over to this Reddit thread and select "Smaller planck plate for compatibility with high profile case" in the form. https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5e8mat/ic_carbon_fiber_plates/

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 12:07:54 »
My planck is mainly a showpiece for my desk as I really don't type well on it. So, I would totally love a Case A  :thumb:

Offline menuhin

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 12:54:23 »
Hey everyone,

If anyone else is interested in a carbon fiber plate, there is currently an interest check over on Reddit. Initially there was not going to be a plate compatible with this high profile case, but after suggesting it to the OP he said he could do it.

So if anyone else wants it to happen as well, head over to this Reddit thread and select "Smaller planck plate for compatibility with high profile case" in the form. https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5e8mat/ic_carbon_fiber_plates/

"this high profile case" - you mean case A or case B?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline pattulus

• RocketINK
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 13:07:50 »
So, to clarify this: I can just drop my existing Planck like it is (see picture) into that case without removing any parts?

Also: can you update the image links on post #1 — maybe a Tapatalk issue, but I can only see one image.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 13:27:46 »
So, to clarify this: I can just drop my existing Planck like it is (see picture) into that case without removing any parts?

Show Image

Also: can you update the image links on post #1 — maybe a Tapatalk issue, but I can only see one image.

I guess not, case A should work with existing plate, while case B needs doesn't fit that MIT/grid plate from olkb.com and needs a plate specially made for this case B.
For you, you need to desolder all your switches from the PCB and then fit in the specially made new plate for case B, and then solder all the switches back in the PCB again before you can use case B.
Case A seems to be a design for lazy people like me.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Danilo_dk

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 13:35:39 »

I mean case A, yes. The plate for that one needs to be just a bit smaller than the standard one provided my OLKB.

I guess not, case A should work with existing plate, while case B needs doesn't fit that MIT/grid plate from olkb.com and needs a plate specially made for this case B.
For you, you need to desolder all your switches from the PCB and then fit in the specially made new plate for case B, and then solder all the switches back in the PCB again before you can use case B.

Filing down the existing plate should also work.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 16:10:29 »

I mean case A, yes. The plate for that one needs to be just a bit smaller than the standard one provided my OLKB.

[/spoiler]

Approximately how much filing? Can it be done simply by hand?
I do think case B look really good, and have to consider how much work and its compatibility. Case A looks a bit like the Ducky mini case to me, still look good.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 17:07:51 »
can we order a raw case for anodizing our selves?

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 19:53:48 »

If you want Case A then you don't really need smaller plate, because I intend to make it the one which will support OLKB's plate by making it a 2 pieces case (top & bottom). But Case A will be made after Case B finished the GB phase as I need to learn how it works.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 19:57:04 »
For the DIY cut/file. You need to remove 2.5mm on each side of the plate and you're good to go.

can we order a raw case for anodizing our selves?
Yes I'm quite sure you can order it barebone without any coating. I'll meet with the vendor today and bring this topic.

Offline pattulus

• RocketINK
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 22:23:19 »
Thanks for answering the question (again). I see now that it already has been asked and answered (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85663.msg2306236#msg2306236) – looks like I didn't get an update on my phone otherwise I wouldn't have posted in the 1st place  :-[

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 22:58:13 »
Thanks for answering the question (again). I see now that it already has been asked and answered (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85663.msg2306236#msg2306236) – looks like I didn't get an update on my phone otherwise I wouldn't have posted in the 1st place  :-[

No biggies, I will asked whatever in my head too if it's about something I care :thumb:

Offline olieatstofu

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 16:01:44 »
To ask a burning question, what's the difference between powder and anodised coating?

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 09:16:18 »
To ask a burning question, what's the difference between powder and anodised coating?
As far as I know, it only the looks that differ them, anodize keeps the metallic looks of the metal beneath it while powder coating makes it, well, painted. Maybe in deeper spec they differ but as long as the thing is only sit on your desk, the strength is equal. And tbh in my place, powder coating is more expensive than anodize, and they said powder coating is more superior in term of durability.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 09:23:02 »
Sorry for the idle, been crazy at my studio lately  :-X

So today I went to the coating vendor and didn't satisfied looking at their anodize sampling. But the powder coating is looking good and stupidly, I didn't take any pic... Will sample them anyway next week, on the plate with same sandblasted material (Alu T6061) as the case and the same dimension.

The question is, which color pallete should I sample? The 4 neutral color will surely be sampled, but another 4 is still in question, 'normal' color or pastel one? I'm interested in pastel tbh because that color can only happen in powder coating.

Normal
154543-0

Pastel
154545-1

Offline Danilo_dk

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 09:58:29 »
So does that mean that there won't be a full on black option? I am not the person that wants a bright or colorful case for my keyboard, so the darker the better in my opinion.

Offline olieatstofu

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 13:24:52 »

So today I went to the coating vendor and didn't satisfied looking at their anodize sampling. But the powder coating is looking good and stupidly, I didn't take any pic... Will sample them anyway next week, on the plate with same sandblasted material (Alu T6061) as the case and the same dimension.

The question is, which color pallete should I sample? The 4 neutral color will surely be sampled, but another 4 is still in question, 'normal' color or pastel one? I'm interested in pastel tbh because that color can only happen in powder coating.

Normal
(Attachment Link)

Pastel
(Attachment Link)

I do like the lighter colours, as you said, it'll give this case a unique look and feel.

That pale green will look good against those keycaps you're planning ; - )

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 13:53:53 »
Super don't own a planck or plan to, but Case A would be my choice.

It needs a better finish and looks raw atm.

But good job :D
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 20:38:33 »
So does that mean that there won't be a full on black option? I am not the person that wants a bright or colorful case for my keyboard, so the darker the better in my opinion.

There will be! Sorry I forgot to add that, my bad  :'(

I do like the lighter colours, as you said, it'll give this case a unique look and feel.

That pale green will look good against those keycaps you're planning ; - )

The rule thumb of case color is match the keycaps alphas so oyster white will be the best match. But rules are meant to be broken :cool:

Super don't own a planck or plan to, but Case A would be my choice.

It needs a better finish and looks raw atm.

But good job :D

Thanks!

Yeah this progress is quite slow because I work on it in my free time plus this is my very first time choosing alu, visiting CNC vendor, searching finish, etc so please bear with me :p

Offline menuhin

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 02:20:39 »
What is powder coating?
I have heard it is difficult t make scratch marks on hard anodized alu case, is it true? And how is it different from Jon-hard anodizing?
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 21:36:27 »
What is powder coating?
I have heard it is difficult t make scratch marks on hard anodized alu case, is it true? And how is it different from Jon-hard anodizing?

Basically paint, but impelemented in powder form and then baked to make it super stick to the material beneath it.

This is what powder coat looks like on keyboad:

Norbaurer's Aluminum CM case (https://shop.norbauer.com/products/custom-cnc-aluminum-case-for-coolermaster-novatouch-rapid-i-and-masterkeys-keyboards?variant=27198514952)

Dorkvader's Model F

Rama M10-A Prototype

Powder Coat vs Anodize

Why I intend to not choosing anodize is because the ones available around my area is only decorative anodize, not hard anodize or other mid-high quality anodize.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 December 2016, 21:49:35 by jebbra »

Offline Danilo_dk

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 01:50:59 »
So the main cosmetic difference I see between anodizing and powder coating is that one remains shiny like the bare material is, while the other is matte. Strange though, as the standard Planck case is also anodized, but that one is matte.

If they are both equal when it comes to durability, wear, and such, I see no reason to just go with the one that is more readily available for you. And since you say you can't find a place that does high quality anodization, I would go for powder coating.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 13:18:37 »
Now that planck is in my options, I'd definitely want a hi-pro case. I hate the normal case.

I'd love a sample of the normal colours except for the the traffic blue. Light blue would be rad!

On second thought the traffic blue would go well with my Modern Selectric!
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 December 2016, 04:16:03 by PollandAkuma »

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 06:28:45 »
So the main cosmetic difference I see between anodizing and powder coating is that one remains shiny like the bare material is, while the other is matte. Strange though, as the standard Planck case is also anodized, but that one is matte.

If they are both equal when it comes to durability, wear, and such, I see no reason to just go with the one that is more readily available for you. And since you say you can't find a place that does high quality anodization, I would go for powder coating.

I try to scratch the powder coat with my nails and it hold still, scratch it with my bike key and it start to peel bit by bit, well, even anodize on a MacBook will scratched if you run another metal on top of it so yeah, durability is good. The red fire hydrant on the side road is a good example of powder coat on metal.

Seems like why peeps on mechkey prefer anodize is because it still "looks metal" because the material is what differentiate custom keyboard from mass-manufactured one and people want to show it off via pictures.

Good news is, my friend told me there is a workshop in the next city that do Hard Anodize (Type III). Already contacted them and will send them some plate with same material and dimension to see their quality.

Now that planck is in my options, I'd definitely want a hi-pro case. I hate the normal case.

I'd love a sample of the normal colours except for the the traffic blue. Light blue would be rad!

On second thought the traffic blue would go well with my Modern Selectric!

While I really want a new wave of color (pastel on this case) to be introduced to mechkey community, I find it lack the supporting keycaps with same saturation to pair it :-[ that's why almost whatever keyset we all have up till now will only can be matched with standard color. The only key color to match pastel one is standard color like white, black and gray but I doubt gray will do it.

My other project is a keyset in pastel color scheme (the one I use in initial mockup render) in an effort to refresh the color game in mechkeys :thumb:
(yes the color will be custom, not using SP's color chip).

Offline menuhin

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 08:20:26 »
...I try to scratch the powder coat with my nails and it hold still, scratch it with my bike key and it start to peel bit by bit, well, even anodize on a MacBook will scratched if you run another metal on top of it so yeah, durability is good. The red fire hydrant on the side road is a good example of powder coat on metal.

Seems like why peeps on mechkey prefer anodize is because it still "looks metal" because the material is what differentiate custom keyboard from mass-manufactured one and people want to show it off via pictures...

So to sum up, both powder coat and hard anodized coloring are quite durable with powder coat potentially be even more scratch resistant.
But powder coat looks plastic (unless the paint is a metallic color itself), and anodizing looks naturally metallic.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 08:45:53 »
I think powder coat would look nice in pastels while normal colours would look great being hard-anodised. Whichever it is, will there be an option to put feets in so the board can be tilted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 02:40:01 »

So to sum up, both powder coat and hard anodized coloring are quite durable with powder coat potentially be even more scratch resistant.
But powder coat looks plastic (unless the paint is a metallic color itself), and anodizing looks naturally metallic.

In general it is correct. But in powder coat we have choice of textures too, like orange skin texture.

I think powder coat would look nice in pastels while normal colours would look great being hard-anodised. Whichever it is, will there be an option to put feets in so the board can be tilted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, if the new anodize vendor could give excellent result, I will still offer powder coat option in pastel. I keep debating wether the extra hole necesarry for cone feets since Planck is quite small and I never find people need to tilt it so I'll say it won't support tilting. I know it won't hurt to add 2 extra holes but as a designer I believe a beautiful product have to be look beautiful in literally every angle, even inside. And a pair of unused hole will hurt that feel :-[

PS I don't have the cone feet too so I didn't want to only 'guess' the dimension and looks with them on.

Offline Malenky

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 04:42:35 »
Hmm I actually think this case could be the only reason to buy a planck. That case A is great, loving the Apple inspired design.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 06:00:08 »
Hmm I actually think this case could be the only reason to buy a planck. That case A is great, loving the Apple inspired design.

Haha, exactly my thoughts! I really don't like the normal Planck case, but these are good enough to compete with the Minivan. Especially since I want a small brick-like board! I wonder if getting this case defeats the purpose of getting a 40%... But I'd love a solid little thing.

Yep, if the new anodize vendor could give excellent result, I will still offer powder coat option in pastel. I keep debating wether the extra hole necesarry for cone feets since Planck is quite small and I never find people need to tilt it so I'll say it won't support tilting. I know it won't hurt to add 2 extra holes but as a designer I believe a beautiful product have to be look beautiful in literally every angle, even inside. And a pair of unused hole will hurt that feel :-[

PS I don't have the cone feet too so I didn't want to only 'guess' the dimension and looks with them on.

Yeah, probably best not to put those holes is no one seems to want them. I can live with it, I'd just get DSA or smt haha

Offline menuhin

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 06:16:12 »
The color options and anodizing offers at OLKB are actually quite optimized: purple, teal blue, orange, silver,  black, etc. However, I never like low profile / floating-cap cases. What's more, with such a small keyboard size, what I can see first most of the time is the brushed stainless steel top plate - which is of high quality but its color and texture never matches well with any of the milled bottom.

My idea would be an aluminum case in teal blue with its edge showing when viewed on top, will match well with blue or cyan or other CMY color. So case B is all right (but OLKB has 3 plates offers, fit of the Alps and MX switches has yet to be tested in version 1 of the supplementary plate for case B) so I can also use my 40% keyboard sleeve interchangeably.
With an equal price tag of the milled case, this IC is keeping my attention.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 04:46:47 »
I vote for alu anodised planck plate!

Offline slot demon

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 07:51:25 »
I prefer case A, really excited for it.

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 04:11:37 »
Any chance that this case can support Bluetooth in terms of both space and material (antenna extension)?  :)

Offline ishtob

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 07:22:57 »

i can send you a spare cone feet set I got if you want to test it out, send me a pm

Offline [esc]

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 08:41:51 »
I really like case B. If anodizing or maybe even bare, polished metal were possible that would be really cool.

Offline donjoan666

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 19:02:43 »
I prefer A too because of its uniqueness.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 04:20:13 »
Bluetooth is out of question, sorry.

No need to worry, case A will be produced but later and with some tweaks to support the current OLKB Planck plate. For now we will go with Case B.

Expect to see the sample of anodize and powder coat in the next week :thumb:

i can send you a spare cone feet set I got if you want to test it out, send me a pm

Seems like we are too far since I'm in Indonesia ;D and I already fixed it that these case won't use cone feet because Planck is short enough on lines so it don't need one. Meanwhile, the third case will be for Preonic and will be angled by design :p

Offline menuhin

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 12:53:21 »
... Meanwhile, the third case will be for Preonic ...

:p Great!
I've been searching if there's a milled case for Preonic for a while.
Please also create a nice plate for it that fits both MX and Alps switches - like Jack's default plates for Planck.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 03:03:29 »
You're in Indonesia? Great! I'm in Singapore so less shipping for me HOORAY

I'm praying for case A to be good, glad I have time to gather my funds for it <3

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 07:20:39 »
Long time no update, sorry!

Fresh powder coat sample chips (the same material with the case)

156298-0

... Meanwhile, the third case will be for Preonic ...

:p Great!
I've been searching if there's a milled case for Preonic for a while.
Please also create a nice plate for it that fits both MX and Alps switches - like Jack's default plates for Planck.

But still don't have an ETA hehe. Hopefully this R&D about materials and vendors are only in the beginning so for the next cases everything will be smoother.

You're in Indonesia? Great! I'm in Singapore so less shipping for me HOORAY

I'm praying for case A to be good, glad I have time to gather my funds for it <3

Yow fellow SEA! Shipping to SG will surely cheaper, only domestic shipping can beat it :thumb:

Offline Danilo_dk

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 08:03:46 »
Those powder coat samples look a bit leathery. Especially the texture on that blue one that looks all shiny. But I'm sure that is also due in part because of the lighting. The black one (or is that dark grey?) looks really matte in comparison, though.

In either case, I'm really looking forward to the groupbuy for these cases. After I get my PCB this will be the final part of my second Planck build. I keep checking this thread every once in a while to check whether there is any progress. But I'm patient. So take as long as you need.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 10:19:46 »
Those powder coat samples look a bit leathery. Especially the texture on that blue one that looks all shiny. But I'm sure that is also due in part because of the lighting. The black one (or is that dark grey?) looks really matte in comparison, though.

In either case, I'm really looking forward to the groupbuy for these cases. After I get my PCB this will be the final part of my second Planck build. I keep checking this thread every once in a while to check whether there is any progress. But I'm patient. So take as long as you need.

Yeah the green and blue at the middle have orange skin texture (like on those IBM Model M), the black is matte, the rest is glossy. So far the orange texture is what pique my interest the most followed by the matte. Will sleep on these tho.

I already sent my sandblasted plate to the anodize vendor and he already received but because of year-end, my order is backordered :\

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 10:50:19 »

Yeah the green and blue at the middle have orange skin texture (like on those IBM Model M), the black is matte, the rest is glossy. So far the orange texture is what pique my interest the most followed by the matte. Will sleep on these tho.

I already sent my sandblasted plate to the anodize vendor and he already received but because of year-end, my order is backordered :\

That Model M texture looks amazing!

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 13:07:08 »
Long time no update, sorry!

Fresh powder coat sample chips (the same material with the case)

(Attachment Link)

I prefer a matte powder coat :O not so shiny would be nice... only the midnight blue looks appealing right now :P

Offline Danilo_dk

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 13:47:39 »
I like the matte one the best, followed by the orange texture, and then the glossy one. I am not too keen on a shiny case.

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 14:01:51 »
Yeah, I prefer the matte as well, orange skin is interesting, but I don't think I would see myself buying one

Offline Danilo_dk

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 09:09:16 »
So, it's been a while since the last update. I still think you should take as long as you need to deliver a good product, but it is nice to know what is going on in the meantime.

Are there any rough estimates on how much longer it is going to take until the groupbuy? Or for how long the groupbuy will run for?

Offline muten-roshi

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 09:17:39 »
Just saw this IC an I am also interested. Have no planck yet but handwireing would be a nice project.
I think the smaller case looks better, but both are very nice.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 02:54:49 »
Hi sorry for the long update!

Ok here we go:
1. Case B will be officially named Bullet Case while Case A may take Anvil Case as the name

2. Here's the Bullet Case with white semi-gloss powder coat over it.

157990-0

157992-1

157986-2

157988-3

TBH it still bother me that the paint is a bit clotted on every edge, may need to revise the design a bit to fix this.

3. The anodize vendor is damn long to respond anything I enquire. And I'm not happy with that attitude so will search for another, sorry.

4. The plate will be new universal design which accomodate MIT, Grid, and even 1.25u bottom row. The material will be SS 403.

157994-4

I think that's it for now. Sorry for the slow progress  :-[

Offline muten-roshi

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 03:53:40 »
This looks pretty nice. I think you have to change something about the usb-port.
Hey and don't rush this. I am low on money anyway :)