Author Topic: [IC] Norbauer CoolerMaster (Novatouch, Rapid-i, Masterkeys) CNC cases, round 2!  (Read 23368 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Well, I'm happy to observe that my last run of CNC cases for CoolerMaster TKL keyboards appears to have been rather more of a success than I had anticipated, if feedback on GeekHack, YouTube, and here on GeekHack is any indication. As a result, people keep asking me to do a follow-up, so here we are. :)

If you're interested and you haven't yet done so, please complete complete this two-question survey.

Secondly, if you aren't already on my email list, sign-up to be notified before anyone else when the group buy goes live.

The only design change is a slight increase in the depth of the pocket of the flanged retaining screw, since I observed some variability in plate thickness among CoolerMaster cases in this regard. This small change will account for that and ensure a snug fit even on slightly out-of-tolerance cases (well, according to my tolerances anyway) that have shorter side struts.

Finishes: Anodized aluminum. Still waiting on final poll results for colors.

Price: Base price $205 with some optional upgrades (including riser feet and exotic finishes).
Shipping (including cost of packing materials): $14 USA, $55 Australia and New Zealand, $45 everywhere else. All methods fast and tracked.

Group buy duration: 2-3 weeks.
Production lead time after completion of group buy: 6-8 weeks.
Start of group buy: TBD. I'm open to feedback. :)

Once again, if you're interested, please please complete complete this two-question survey, and let me know any other thoughts you may have here in this thread.

Onward we march, fellow keyboard soldiers!
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 April 2017, 15:57:56 by norbauer »

Offline Vigrith

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
Ya'll need to vote for dark green.

Offline mr scooty

yayayayayay

Offline zslane

I'm thinking I should have voted for blue now since I'm considering putting GMK Nautilus on my NovaTouch. Doh!  :-\

Offline Data

I keep having to convince myself that I don't need this.  I don't own any of the compatible boards.  So to use it I'd have to BUY one of those boards and rip the important bits out (of a brand new board) to make any meaningful use of this case.  Can't justify that level of extravagance right now.

It's a beautiful and incredibly tempting case though.

Offline autobot

So excited for this!

Regardless of the polling color, will there be a "universal" color offered, either like an annodized charcoal/gunmetal gray or silver?

If so, hopefully it's not black. If I'm putting my keyboard in a metal case, I want it to look like metal!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 March 2017, 14:59:43 by autobot »

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
yas  :thumb:
http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
That's what is up!

Offline norbauer

I've also been thinking about making some nylon ("tactical style") keyboard carry cases to go with the next group buy, which should fit any TKL boards. Would anybody have any interest in such a thing? I used to own an industrial sewing machine and use to play around with making bags, backpacks, etc., and have always thought it would be fun to design something like this. When I was lugging my keyboard case to and from the NorCal meetup recently the idea occurred to me that it would be cool to have a custom case to schlep it around in. :)

I am thinking something in the "Goruck" style, basically a slimmed down version of this:

Or kind of like this bag by Jack Spade

« Last Edit: Wed, 08 March 2017, 21:33:47 by norbauer »

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
Super interested in the case because of the shape, but is there a way I can get an aftermarket pcb and plate to work with it? :)
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline clappingcactus

As per previous PMs, I'd be interested in the white powder coating. Excited to see if it becomes an option! :)

Offline mr scooty

I've also been thinking about making some nylon ("tactical style") keyboard carry cases to go with the next group buy, which should fit any TKL boards. Would anybody have any interest in such a thing? I used to own an industrial sewing machine and use to play around with making bags, backpacks, etc., and have always thought it would be fun to design something like this. When I was lugging my keyboard case to and from the NorCal meetup recently the idea occurred to me that it would be cool to have a custom case to schlep it around in. :)

I am thinking something in the "Goruck" style, basically a slimmed down version of this:

Show Image

Show Image

With a nice design I'd be in for one!  :thumb:

Offline nurbs

Count me in! May have to buy another Novatouch, or maybe resolder a rapid-i or masterkeys with 68g Gateron blacks.

Offline superpiya

Yay round 2! I'm in  ;D

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
I'm in for both the CNC Case as well as the bag that you're thinking about!  :thumb:

Offline Lipton

Show Image

Show Image

I love my keyboard case now thanks! :D ughs don't want to get carried away with another NovaTouch hehe, but I would DEFS be interested in the GoRuck style carry case for this baby ;)

Offline usopia

I'm in. Want this case absolutely!

Offline JDragon

A bag would be sweet, I'd be down for one (depending on price point).

Offline zslane

May have to buy another Novatouch...

How do you propose to do that?

Offline cynviloq

May have to buy another Novatouch...

How do you propose to do that?

He could buy it off r/mm...or classifieds...

Offline norbauer

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I should probably do a separate IC on the carry cases not to confuse matters, but I'm currently working on a prototype and will start a thread once I have more details. It looks like it may take a bit of time to develop and thus I may not hold off r2 for the carry case.

Thanks also to those who have filled out the survey so far. Keep 'em coming if you're thinking about getting a case.

It looks like the most likely colors will be: charcoal gray (anodized) and dark blue (anodized), both of which would be offered in either bead-blasted or brushed (with upgrade cost TBD) finishes. I'll have pictures of both to show soon. I'll keep an eye on the survey results, however, and if it turns out we have the numbers, I may add a third color.

Out of curiosity: is there anybody who would otherwise get a case who would sit out the run of gray and blue are the colors offered? (That's one thing I forgot to ask in the survey.)

Offline bciamny

mmm something something green case.

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
Gotta have a white one ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline eksuen

Out of curiosity: is there anybody who would otherwise get a case who would sit out the run of gray and blue are the colors offered? (That's one thing I forgot to ask in the survey.)

mmm something something green case.

Offline deterouni

I would be down for a case.

Offline Dystopia

I want this but my wallet isn't ready yet :(

Offline naps250

Semi-interested. I narrowly missed the first round. Glad you're doing a second one.

It seems to me that the "border" if I can call it that is thicker on this case than the original plastic one. Can you provide some number so I can envision the change?
Also what is the case on the left in the second picture?

Thanks!  :)

Offline need

Please do Enigma black, it's so baddass.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
Count me in for R2, dark blue would be amazing  8)

Offline afrokobe

will you not be running a case for the rf during round 2 as previously stated?

Offline cmc

Count me in for R2, dark blue would be amazing  8)

With Dasher/Dancer!

Offline DannyHuynh

The case is amazing, keep the interest high boys!

Btw, the more I look at it, the more I want a SA Galaxy Class set. I wonder if you could make it happen with SA Uniform R3 Dye-Sub?  :-* :-*

Offline LoLPirate

Missed out on round 1 and Oco sale. Won't be making the same mistake twice.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline zslane

Charcoal gray and dark blue are awesome color choices! I'd be sorely tempted to get both!

The only other two colors I'd be interested in are white and tan.

Offline clickstops

Just wanna say that if you're considering this maybe, DO IT. You will no regret it. Fantastic case, makes my sphered nova my favorite topre board for sure. So stable, so heavy. Plus norbauer does an awesome job with the GB.

Offline zslane

I totally believe you. It all comes down to the color choices...

Offline superpiya

We still get the silver color no matter what, right?

Offline Atredl

We still get the silver color no matter what, right?

Silver is a separate anodization color (clear ano). Unless it's specifically mentioned, I wouldn't count on it.

Offline norbauer

Sorry, I mentioned this in another thread but forgot to say it here: I do plan to do a RealForce case at some point soon, but I decided not to hold this second CoolerMaster case round up for it. It just makes things too complicated to do two at once, with not too much benefit. Also, doing a second round of the CoolerMaster cases will help me raise a bit of money to use for the rather expensive prototyping process that I'll need to go through with the machine shop once my RealForce case CAD model is done. :)

Offline autobot

Charcoal gray sounds great! I would also buy silver if it's offered in this run.  ;)

Offline zslane

Sorry, I mentioned this in another thread but forgot to say it here: I do plan to do a RealForce case at some point soon, but I decided not to hold this second CoolerMaster case round up for it. It just makes things too complicated to do two at once, with not too much benefit. Also, doing a second round of the CoolerMaster cases will help me raise a bit of money to use for the rather expensive prototyping process that I'll need to go through with the machine shop once my RealForce case CAD model is done. :)

Which RealForce case are we talking about? Only the 87U?

Offline norbauer

Which RealForce case are we talking about? Only the 87U?

Yes, and any others with the same plate configuration (there are some others made by RF, I believe).

Regarding the color questions, I want to hold off before giving a final answer until I get a quote back from the shop on a per-color basis. I'm trying to keep the number of color options down this time so we can qualify for the MOQs at a higher-end anodizing vendor. As soon as I know something you guys will too. :)

Offline krutmob

Checking in to say I'm super down for this. Filled out survey.

Is there a definitive list of TKL boards this is compatible with, other than the Novatouch?

Offline norbauer

Is there a definitive list of TKL boards this is compatible with, other than the Novatouch?

Thanks! The dark gray and dark blue prototypes are on their way to me as of today. I'm currently figuring out some final logistical details and hope to be able to get rolling on r2 within a couple of weeks.

Regarding the cases that I know fit for sure: it's Novatouch, Rapid-i, and MasterKeys TKL, all by CoolerMaster.

Offline Geroximo

I voted "ready to buy not earlier than 1 month from now", I changed my mind, I'm ready asap  :))

Offline eksuen

Thanks! The dark gray and dark blue prototypes are on their way to me as of today. I'm currently figuring out some final logistical details and hope to be able to get rolling on r2 within a couple of weeks.

Regarding the cases that I know fit for sure: it's Novatouch, Rapid-i, and MasterKeys TKL, all by CoolerMaster.

Any word on whether you'll be offering custom colors like R1?

Offline norbauer

Any word on whether you'll be offering custom colors like R1?

I haven't yet decided whether I'm going to offer that an officially advertised thing or not like last time. (It turned out to be a ton of extra work for me to coordinate the logistics between the factory and anodizing place.) But if for some reason I don't offer that in the checkout, eksuen (and anybody else who feels particularly strongly about a special color choice you want), you can always get in touch with me directly and we can figure something out. I try to be flexible so people end up happy with whatever they get. :)

Offline eksuen

I haven't yet decided whether I'm going to offer that an officially advertised thing or not like last time. (It turned out to be a ton of extra work for me to coordinate the logistics between the factory and anodizing place.) But if for some reason I don't offer that in the checkout, eksuen (and anybody else who feels particularly strongly about a special color choice you want), you can always get in touch with me directly and we can figure something out. I try to be flexible so people end up happy with whatever they get. :)

Understood.  :thumb:

Offline orpheo

Dark Blue is pretty men... Charcoal is very basic.
Your choice of champagne in round 1 was way more classy.
I mean do you see dark blue anodized phones? Cmon!

Something like classy color please!

Offline eksuen

"Classy" is subjective. I've seen the dark blue in person and I think it looks wonderful. I also think champagne and gold colored phones are gaudy as ****.

Offline krutmob

Just bought a Rapid-i specifically for this.

Offline norbauer

Personally, I am inclined to agree with you about blue on most products, but I tend to have idiosyncratic tastes. Blue was and continues to be the #2 vote getter in the survey, however, and I'm inclined to give my fellow keyboard nerds what they want, without imposing my own idiosyncratic aesthetic preferences too much—well, at least on this occasion. :) Also, you may change your mind once you see the pics. It looks way cooler than I would have guessed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 March 2017, 15:45:04 by norbauer »

Offline zslane

Dark blue is the color I am primarily interested in. I will either put SA Dasher, Round 6 BLUE, or GMK Nautilus on my NovaTouch. The common theme there is the color blue, so a dark blue case is really what I'd need.

Offline norbauer

Dark blue is the color I am primarily interested in. I will either put SA Dasher, Round 6 BLUE, or GMK Nautilus on my NovaTouch. The common theme there is the color blue, so a dark blue case is really what I'd need.

Yeah, actually, that's a good point. You also have to consider not just the object itself but the keysets with which it will be paired. I wouldn't think that a bronze/brownish colored case would be a good idea, for example, until I consider it paired with something like the Amazing Chocoltier and similar sets.

And there are a lot of keycap sets out there where blue is a prominent color.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 March 2017, 15:54:25 by norbauer »

Offline autobot

You also have to consider not just the object itself but the keysets with which it will be paired.

100% this.

Offline zslane

I wouldn't think that a bronze/brownish colored case would be a good idea, for example, until I consider it paired with something like the Amazing Chocoltier and similar sets.

That's precisely why I also mentioned a tan color as a good third option. You could put Chocolatier, Industrial, Retro, or 1965 on a tan case and it would look absolutely killer.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
wow these look great! almost tempted to get a novatouch to build one out... but i better not.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline krutmob

Yeah, actually, that's a good point. You also have to consider not just the object itself but the keysets with which it will be paired. I wouldn't think that a bronze/brownish colored case would be a good idea, for example, until I consider it paired with something like the Amazing Chocoltier and similar sets.

But if you want a legit Spacecadet you need white!

Offline zslane

But if you want a legit Spacecadet you need white!

True dat.

But let's face it, if you want a legit Spacecadet, you need a full-size board. A TKL simply will not cut it.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
But let's face it, if you want a legit Spacecadet, you need a full-size board. A TKL simply will not cut it.

why not Space Cadette?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Trente

I like the dark blue/black/grey options, these are very basic but always good-looking, however I am also looking forward to some color like pink or somekind of mint color.

Offline norbauer

I like the dark blue/black/grey options, these are very basic but always good-looking, however I am also looking forward to some color like pink or somekind of mint color.

Ooh, I love these kinds of palettes as well. If you're into that, I should actually have a powder-coated mint-green (very 1960s) color available as a one-off. I chose to get one of the salvaged cases from the first run (where the re-coated the ones that had cosmetic blemishes in the factory powder) re-coated with this color and I hope to get it back from the powder coater soon. I'll probably put it up for sale in my shop at the same time as when group buy launches.

Offline autobot

Ooh, I love these kinds of palettes as well. If you're into that, I should actually have a powder-coated mint-green (very 1960s) color available as a one-off. I chose to get one of the salvaged cases from the first run (where the re-coated the ones that had cosmetic blemishes in the factory powder) re-coated with this color and I hope to get it back from the powder coater soon. I'll probably put it up for sale in my shop at the same time as when group buy launches.

Love it! Can you share pics of that case? I personally love that retro appliances turquoise!  :thumb:

Offline clappingcactus

Yeah, I'd love to see it, too.

Offline ihalatch

Can you make more of these "mint-green (very 1960s) color" - "retro appliances turquoise"? Sounds like a great idea. I've seen some old typewriting machines in similar colour. They look amazing. I think that if you put some nice chromed tags and SA retro looking keycaps they can become highly desirable.

Offline zslane

Yeah, actually, that's a good point. You also have to consider not just the object itself but the keysets with which it will be paired.

BTW, if you ever decide someday to make an aluminum case for the RealForce RGB in powder-coated white, I will eagerly buy two of them. Maybe even three!

Offline Blazestorm

I'd be willing to learn the software to build/design one... I just don't know where to go for the manufacturing part/rest of it.

Realforce RGB would be my favorite Topre if it had a nicer case.

Offline norbauer

Yeah, actually, that's a good point. You also have to consider not just the object itself but the keysets with which it will be paired.

BTW, if you ever decide someday to make an aluminum case for the RealForce RGB in powder-coated white, I will eagerly buy two of them. Maybe even three!

I'd be willing to learn the software to build/design one... I just don't know where to go for the manufacturing part/rest of it.

Realforce RGB would be my favorite Topre if it had a nicer case.

I'm already testing a design for the RF 87U. Does the RGB have a different plate design? I've never seen one in the wild.

Offline zslane

Yes, the RGB has an entirely different case than previous RealForce boards. It is more like a Filco Majestouch-2 than a traditional RealForce.

Offline norbauer

Yes, the RGB has an entirely different case than previous RealForce boards. It is more like a Filco Majestouch-2 than a traditional RealForce.

Oh, right. Sorry, I was confusing keyboards there for a minute. This is the 100% keyboard that supports cherry stems. Aluminum cases for 100% boards get very expensive, but I wouldn't rule out tackling something like this in future. I would just hope that RF comes out with a TKL version of this, which would effectively replace the Novatouch. Now that I would make a case for in an instant. :)

Offline norbauer

Yeah, I'd love to see it, too.

Can you make more of these "mint-green (very 1960s) color" - "retro appliances turquoise"? Sounds like a great idea. I've seen some old typewriting machines in similar colour. They look amazing. I think that if you put some nice chromed tags and SA retro looking keycaps they can become highly desirable.

I'll happily post pics as soon as I get the case back, hopefully this coming week.

Offline zslane

Oh, right. Sorry, I was confusing keyboards there for a minute. This is the 100% keyboard that supports cherry stems. Aluminum cases for 100% boards get very expensive, but I wouldn't rule out tackling something like this in future. I would just hope that RF comes out with a TKL version of this, which would effectively replace the Novatouch. Now that I would make a case for in an instant. :)

Yeah, I'm sure it is expensive. I had a taste of one when I briefly owned an IKBC MF-108. It was glorious. I returned it (back to MassDrop) for various reasons, but the CNC aluminum case was simply awesome. I really wish I had one, in white, for my RealForce RGB boards.

Offline cynviloq

Some Germans are making a similar case with an IC on r/mm: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/618xiq/ic_cnc_alumimum_novatouch_rapidi_masterkeys_s/

However, the anodization quality looks a bit shoddy - does anyone have a Norbauer Silver for comparison?

In any case, I would rather wait for Norbauer's versus this option which seems to be missing a few key design ideas that were implemented first here (where are the insets for riser bumpons??)

Offline derzemel

Edit: Sorry, I replied without thinking to a post on the first page

dark blue would be awesome.

Think about it, it would work very good with DOLCH, WOB, BOW, and maybe with classic beige.

Anyway, Norbauer will pick the shade that he thinks it's best for a case.

As an example this hard anodized blue is gorgeous:

« Last Edit: Fri, 24 March 2017, 11:12:46 by derzemel »

Offline derzemel

questions for Norbauer:

1. Would you be adding lower height feet in this GB?
The alu case itself is flat but with the normal riser feet you had in R1 one could get it to the height of a normal Novatouch with the feed extended.
The issue I have is that I find it difficult to type on raised keyboards and on flat keyboards (wrists issues)
So, lower height feet would be perfect for me.

2. would you ever plan on an aluminium case for the topre Leopold FC660C?

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
Yeah I love dark blue anno! matte or shiny.

How are we doing on a time frame for this GB - I want to get my funds in order so I can be able to purchase when the GB opens. Yes I should be prioritizing other things, but this case is IMPORTANT!

:)

Offline zslane

That dark blue is stunning.

I also want the charcoal gray.

:thumb:

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
Dark gray is still my favorite look, followed by space cadet white.

And I still think it looks pretty great without the top half of the case... would love to have a topre board with floating keys
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline norbauer

Yeah I love dark blue anno! matte or shiny.

How are we doing on a time frame for this GB - I want to get my funds in order so I can be able to purchase when the GB opens. Yes I should be prioritizing other things, but this case is IMPORTANT!

:)

My hope is to start the GB in a week or so. I am still (rather impatiently!) waiting on two pieces of information back from third parties before I can finalize everything, but I'm going to ping them both today to nudge them along. :)

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
aww yuss! thanks R!

Offline b9nign

Any round 1 buyers from the EU can tell me how much import taxes and customs you've had to pay?

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
I actually do not even own a Novatouch (yet) but a R2 of that gorgeous case would justify it!

Just have to save some money and see whether I like the Topre switches. MechMarket is probably the best option to buy a Novatouch, right?

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
originative has some novatouches.  not sure how many he's got left though.

i just got a novatouch and a silver norbauer case from originative yesterday.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative

We sold our last one 3 days ago!

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!

Will look into that. Thanks bud!

Offline Eklipses

Yeah, I'm sure it is expensive. I had a taste of one when I briefly owned an IKBC MF-108. It was glorious. I returned it (back to MassDrop) for various reasons, but the CNC aluminum case was simply awesome. I really wish I had one, in white, for my RealForce RGB boards.

I'd so jump on this too with white aluminum for Realforce RGB, I currently have my top bezel painted pearl white just to make me feel a bit happier.  :)
Home= Input Club K- type (Zealios 65g), Ducky One 2 Mini (MX Speed Silver), Realforce RGB(Silent)

Work= Ducky Realforce 104U 45g (Silent)

Offline zslane

I currently have my top bezel painted pearl white just to make me feel a bit happier.  :)

You and I may be the only two people in the world who have done that.  :thumb:

Offline norbauer

Some Germans are making a similar case with an IC on r/mm: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/618xiq/ic_cnc_alumimum_novatouch_rapidi_masterkeys_s/

However, the anodization quality looks a bit shoddy - does anyone have a Norbauer Silver for comparison?

In any case, I would rather wait for Norbauer's versus this option which seems to be missing a few key design ideas that were implemented first here (where are the insets for riser bumpons??)

Interesting. It does appear to be somewhat similar, so I appreciate that they called out their project as not being a "Norbauer case," just to avoid confusion.  For folks in Europe, this might be a good way to save on shipping fees and to be able to get a similar case. For whatever it's worth, I would caution (based on my own, semi-painful, experience) that getting consumer-grade finishing on a product like this, especially outside of Asia, is a lot harder than most people think. So if I personally were going to put money down in such a group buy, I would wait to see photos of the final bead-blasted and anodized final cases before committing. If you go back and read my original IC thread, you'll see that getting a physical design I was happy with took me only a few weeks, but finding a vendor who could give a high quality of finish took me almost a year and lots of lost expenses in getting samples and prototypes made by various vendors, from around the world. And even with that, among some of the final cases that came back (the powder coated ones), a certain—thankfully low—percent weren't quite up to my aesthetic expectations. (This is one of the reasons that I'm still vacillating on whether to offer any powder finishes in r2—waiting on some final samples next week.)

I agree that bumpon recesses are important. I have some aluminum cases that don't have them, and the bumpons always slide off the edge of the board over time for me, leaving a streak of adhesive residue in their path. =\

Offline KINGPIN

I hope this can come at may....where I can bloody pay for it
Levia Makes

Offline norbauer

If you (or anybody) can't afford to purchase a case when the drop is live, feel free to message me and I'll try to figure out a way to accommodate you. :)

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
pretty sure i wanna get an enigma, but if that's not an option this time around, i may go for dark blue...

Offline norbauer

pretty sure i wanna get an enigma, but if that's not an option this time around, i may go for dark blue...

The enigmas are what I'm getting back this week. I'll post pics when I have them.

Offline KINGPIN

If you (or anybody) can't afford to purchase a case when the drop is live, feel free to message me and I'll try to figure out a way to accommodate you. :)
Woah! I am excited now!
Levia Makes

Offline Dystopia

Any chance for an R3 in Q3/4 this year? I would like to get one but I'm prioritizing The Moon over this because I need more keebs to fit my caps on...

Offline norbauer

Any chance for an R3 in Q3/4 this year? I would like to get one but I'm prioritizing The Moon over this because I need more keebs to fit my caps on...

Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves. :)

I would probably try to accommodate it if enough people wanted one, but I would not honestly consider an r3 super likely, especially since one of the 3-4 keyboards that this case fits is no longer being actively manufactured. And now that I've switched to a slightly more high-end anodizing vendor, MOQs are higher. I would also like to move on to do an RF 87u case next. I'm just one guy doing this in his spare time, and while I try to approach it in an efficient and reasonably professional manner, I don't really have the mental fortitude to manage a large number of simultaneous product pipelines. ;)

So, yeah, in short: I'm open to it, but I would say if one wants to be sure of getting one of these cases, it would be best to get on the train with r2. :)

Offline qbadger

So, yeah, in short: I'm open to it, but I would say if one wants to be sure of getting one of these cases, it would be best to get on the train with r2. :)

Choo choo!

Offline SICAR187

Choo choo!

All aboard

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
I've been clamoring for dark blue cases for a long time; glad someone is finally taking it seriously.  So many blue sets these days, it just makes sense. 
keyboards.

Offline norbauer

Hi all. Just a quick update.

It looks like the group buy will probably start next week rather than this week, for two reasons: 1) I'm still waiting to see if enigma black is going to be available as an upgrade, and the powder coating place keeps taking longer than expected to deliver the samples and 2) I'm trying to work out a fulfillment option that will make shipping cheaper for folks in Asia, Europe, and Australia, but I'm still waiting on some final pricing details on that.

I've also been working on a video about the production process from r1, and hopefully I should be done editing footage by next week and will be able to post it on the group buy page. :)

Offline usopia

[...]
2) I'm trying to work out a fulfillment option that will make shipping cheaper for folks in Asia, Europe, and Australia, but I'm still waiting on some final pricing details on that.
...sounds good!
I'm really glad that this GB comes true, whether this or next week.  ;)

Offline zslane

What are the confirmed colors? Dark blue? Dark gray? Possibly black? Anything else?

Offline usopia

Dark gray and black, I think?

Offline norbauer

What are the confirmed colors? Dark blue? Dark gray? Possibly black? Anything else?

You got it. :) Dark gray and dark blue (pics forthcoming) for sure, and possibly enigma black (wrinkle powder coat) if my powder samples come back with affordable pricing and good quality before my arbitrary cut-off of mid-week next week (alas, very much up in the air at this point.)

There will also be a third color, which is likely to be clear/silver based on the voting (with apologies to those who paid to get this as a custom color last time :-[)

Offline zslane

Offline qbadger

Is it here?  :D

Offline norbauer

Is it here?  :D

Just about! ;D I took the photographs of the new colors last night and I'm going to write the page in Shopify today. I also finished up a video documenting the making of the last round, which I'll publish at the same time as when I open up the group buy. I'll probably start it on Friday so we can end it on a Friday, two weeks later. Does that work for everybody?

Here are the final anodizing colors: Dark Blue (available in brushed and bead blasted), Dark Gray, and Aluminum (silver). Originative has also commissioned a color that will be exclusive to them in this round: anodized black.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
friday as in tomorrow, or next friday?

Cheers! i will be in for a bead blasted blue, unless the copperish b-stocks look really really good.

Offline norbauer

friday as in tomorrow, or next friday?

Cheers! i will be in for a bead blasted blue, unless the copperish b-stocks look really really good.

Friday as in tomorrow!  :cool:

And I did take pics of those one-off custom colors (I wouldn't call them b-stocks, really, since they don't have any flaws) and will be putting those in the store at the same time. I will probably also have a handful of silver colored cases, and one dark gray, available to ship immediately. I'll announce when this all goes live on my email list a little bit before posting it here to give those people an early shot, since a lot of them were folks who emailed me asking if I had any extras available—which I wasn't sure about until, really, just yesterday. http://eepurl.com/cnnEwr

Offline norbauer

Incidentally, would anyone want brushed in any of the other colors? I unfortunately only have pics of blue in brushed, as I never got prototypes brushed in the other colors, but I can technically offer brushed in the other colors as well. Folks would just have to use their imaginations to see what those colors would look like with a brushed finish.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
thank you very much for the info!

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
Incidentally, would anyone want brushed in any of the other colors? I unfortunately only have pics of blue in brushed, as I never got prototypes brushed in the other colors, but I can technically offer brushed in the other colors as well. Folks would just have to use their imaginations to see what those colors would look like with a brushed finish.

or photoshop.  ;)

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
As Norbauer have mentioned, would you guys be interested in this board with a MasterKeys Pro S bundle?

The cost will be quite pretty :)

There's a new MasterKeys coming out with thick PBT.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
i would have been, but i just picked up a masterkeys board a few hours ago in preparation for norbauer r2!

Offline cynviloq

Let's see the pics!!

Offline norbauer

OK, everybody:
round 2 is a go!

So let's move the discussion over there.  :D