Author Topic: Have there been any beige cases in recent time?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Have there been any beige cases in recent time?
« on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 10:37:32 »
More than a few people, including myself, have expressed interested in beige cases lately.  I've done some research but didn't find anything.  You could get something like a G80-3000 and paint it, but that doesn't seem worthy of the enthusiast community.

I love the broad expanse of bezel and case on the G80-3000.  I see a similarity between the classic cherry boards and some popular cases in the works.  For instance, I think the the JC65 and the Exent board resonate so well with the community because of their ties to classic styles. Their designs make good sense because of added interest to the architecture of the board.  You spend money on a premium case, so you want more than 3mm of it showing around the keys, right?

Is there anything out there now or do any of you have something in the pipeline?  Beige is so classic and works with so many keycap sets, it's crazy that there aren't more boards out there.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Have there been any beige cases in recent time?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 10:43:29 »
You could get a G80-3000 and replace the case with an older one that is beige. There might be quite a few keyboard collectors that have spare cases laying around.

BTW, if you do find a good beige or pearl-grey spray paint, please let me know. I have been using Dupli-Color beige primer but it has a slight greenish tint.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 11:40:21 »
It's not beige, but I always felt the white line of Topre boards (HHKB, Realforce, and Leopold) were the modern interpretation of beige.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 11:56:43 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:22:40 by alienman82 »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 13:45:59 »
I know the recent CNC case I bought for Novatouch/Masterkeys had a good result with powder coating aluminum.  I also really like the look of the zinc/powder coat like on the new model F group buy.  So I wonder how hard it would be to simply copy the form of the G80-3000 in metal and get it powder coated.  You could add something like a RGB strip accent on the top space where it's empty if you had people who really don't get the retro thing :)

BRB, i may be on to something

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 16:52:46 »
Okay, so NO JUDGING my photoshop skillz... damnit people, I'm at work and in a hurry!

Anywhooo... i think you could make it beige and copy the style of G80-3000 but in TKL form.  I don't use ISO layout, but like I said, I was in a hurry.  This board could actually use a standard TKL PCB but leave off the switches for the function row.  The RGB cutout with diffuser could either be an RGB strip or the leds from the unpopulated switches beneath it.  I think I made it line up fairly close to where the function row leds would be.  I don't know, the execution is terrible, but the idea is somewhere in the ballpark.

157467-0

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 03:05:52 »
Cerakote coating might be the solution as any color is possible on any material.  I have considered it for one of my VE.A's

This type off coating gives brilliant results so if anyone wants to design and offer to make this keyboard in the wondrous Beige, then please announce it here on Geekhack Central.