Author Topic: #GSL finals MVP vs Top  (Read 8557 times)

Offline Hydroid

• http://justin.tv/hydr0id
#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 04:50:16 »
I'm watching right now. I'm rooting for MVP to win because he had to eliminate NesTea to get there and so I want to see him take home the title for team IM.
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz | Corsair H50 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
OCZ 60GB SSD | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda RAID-0 | Samsung Blu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX-850W | 2x BenQ G2420HD 24"

Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue | Ducky DK9008(B) Blue | Qsenn DT-35 Black PS/2 Rubber Dome |2x Razer Lycosa USB | Microsoft 500 PS/2

Help me support and grow e-sports below!!!
What Happens in Starcraft -- Vlogs -- Twitter

Offline simplexity

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 07:14:17 »
Wasn't that enjoyable (hello gsl finals) :[

Offline Hydroid

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 07:35:44 »
That was probably the best set of TvTs I've ever watched in my life and I normally hate TvT.
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz | Corsair H50 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
OCZ 60GB SSD | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda RAID-0 | Samsung Blu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX-850W | 2x BenQ G2420HD 24"

Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue | Ducky DK9008(B) Blue | Qsenn DT-35 Black PS/2 Rubber Dome |2x Razer Lycosa USB | Microsoft 500 PS/2

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 07:36:55 »
What on earth are you two on about?

Offline Hydroid

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 08:06:33 »
Oops, sorry, I just went back and read the posts and realized you wouldn't know unless you knew. GSL is the Global Starcraft League, the most prestigious of all SC2 events in the world at the moment and is held in South Korea. They had the finals today and the finalists were MVP and TOP, NesTea is the best Zerg player in the world and has won 3 out of the 10 seasons, his team mate MVP who has 2 titles eliminated him this season and made it to the finals so I wanted him to win for the sake of the whole team. Both the finalists play Terran (hence TvT) and TvT is usually pretty slow and boring, but today's games were very good as far as TvT goes. Oh, and the finals always have a k-pop group perform in the opening ceremony, this time it was Apink, but I was disappointed, their live performance was really really bad even to me who is not musically talented in any way. At least nobody could accuse them of choosing to lip sync over actually singing today, but maybe they should have. o.O Previous GSLs though they have had 5dolls, T-ara, Rainbow, Girls Day etc and those have always been pretty good.

Offline peda

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 09:48:37 »
Quote from: ripster;413904
Could have been worse.  You could have used TKL.

Please stay on topic!

And to whoever will post in this thread. Please no spoilers as I don't have the time to watch the VODs until tomorrow.

Thanks in advance. :-D

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Offline Hydroid

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 16:10:49 »
Quote from: peda;413917
Please stay on topic!

And to whoever will post in this thread. Please no spoilers as I don't have the time to watch the VODs until tomorrow.

Thanks in advance. :-D

Alright. :D I was trying really hard not to give any spoilers because I know how it is sometimes. I once had Wolf spoil it for me on twitter just as I was about to watch VODs. :S

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 00:24:35 »
I haven't watched GSL since MVP went down to code A.  Glad to see he is playing in Code S final again.  Does he still do the aggressive GG MULE drop in the battlefield?  Don't answer, that would be a spoiler. ;)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 03:45:53 »
Just watched the VODs while modding some ebay boards to ergo clears and ghetto reds.

I love this new TvT.

I'm going to need some more brown springs.

Offline Hydroid

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 06:45:01 »
Yeah man best TvTs I've ever seen. And I'm a zerg player so usually I despise watching TvT, but I really enjoyed my afternoon spent watching it.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 11:44:57 »
Yeah I usually skip TvTs.  Live GSL in the afternoon sure sounds nice. The finals started af 2 AM for me. :-/

I guess you get the shaft during MLG though.

Offline Lanx

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 12:44:19 »
where on youtube do you guys watch this? mainly i wanna show fiance that k-pop bands open for starcraft games.

Offline peda

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 12:59:12 »
Quote from: Lanx;414477
where on youtube do you guys watch this? mainly i wanna show fiance that k-pop bands open for starcraft games.

I don't think it is on YouTube (yet).

But the opening show plus the first match for free is here: http://www.gomtv.net/

Offline Hydroid

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 16:39:55 »
Quote from: hashbaz;414431
Yeah I usually skip TvTs.  Live GSL in the afternoon sure sounds nice. The finals started af 2 AM for me. :-/

I guess you get the shaft during MLG though.

Haha yeah, I do like being a mere 1 hour offset from the Korean time and so I get to enjoy GSL around the time it was intended to be enjoyed. That kinda sucks about the time for you though. :( As for MLG, yeah MLG is usually quite weird, but I get up at 6am usually so if I remember, I can catch something on one of the streams at that time. But usually I end up not watching anything from MLG and just hearing the results as the weekend goes on. And then I'll usually check out the customary Idra incident once it hits youtube. :P

@Lanx - yeah you need to go to gomtv.net like peda said, they always have the first video segment for free which includes the opening ceremony. I'd recommend showing her this one because the whole event was free, but also it opens up with the k-pop first, instead of having tons of interviews and previews and recaps and such first.

http://www.gomtv.net/2011championship/vod/64516

Offline Lanx

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 18:09:34 »
yea the girls had some weird long intro or something to. I gave her my theory that maybe k-pop is getting more popular among white kids cuz of starcraft and korea and all, she even said that the american billboard or something now has a chart on k-pop bands.

Offline Hydroid

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 18:31:55 »
Yeah they even had k-pop on a TV channel here in Aus the other day. It is certainly becoming more and more internationally popular.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 19:03:24 »
I gotta say the group they had performing before the finals this time around was the worst I've seen at the GSL yet.  They did seem to actually be singing live though.

Offline Hydroid

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 19:14:21 »
Quote from: hashbaz;414631
I gotta say the group they had performing before the finals this time around was the worst I've seen at the GSL yet.  They did seem to actually be singing live though.

Yes, I thought exactly the same. Would have been a pity for that to be your initiation into k-pop. But it is true that nobody will ever accuse them of lip syncing for that performance atleast. o.O

Offline Chobopants

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 19:30:28 »
Haven't watched yet as I'm stuck at work this whole week but yeah...I have trouble thinking that I'm going to enjoy a TvT. It's all GSL has been recently and, as a Protoss player, I'm pretty sick of being the unrepresented race in the game.

This is all high level play is these days....
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline Lanx

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 21:52:11 »
Quote from: Hydroid;414585
I'd recommend showing her this one because the whole event was free, but also it opens up with the k-pop first, instead of having tons of interviews and previews and recaps and such first.

http://www.gomtv.net/2011championship/vod/64516
these vids cost money? like a subscription or something? also the american's aren't part of the finals right? the commentators they comment from elsewhere?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 21:52:13 »
Don't worry you will enjoy this TvT

Offline Tempy

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 21:56:46 »
great tvt's however still fell to the dreaded gsl finals curse of a short series
Proud owner of a Filco TKL with Blues, Noppoo Choc Pro with Blues, Leopold 104 with Browns and a CoolerMaster QF with reds

Sc2 stats

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 21:58:55 »
No spoilers!  But yeah.

Offline nar

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 00:23:48 »
Quote from: Lanx;414683
these vids cost money? like a subscription or something? also the american's aren't part of the finals right? the commentators they comment from elsewhere?

It's free to watch live and you can usually watch the first game in the series for free afterwards. You'll usually need a subscription to watch the rest of the games after they air though.
The american commentators are hired by GOMTV and are physically at the finals when they're commentating.

And these TvTs were quite something
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline Lanx

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 02:35:18 »
yea i just saw a few vids on them commenting and the lights of the stage are in the camera. So i guess when i click on "videos" those are just the free stuff they throw out? man this tournament is wicked weird, they have two teams just come out and sit and then 1 from each team goes into i guess an isolation booth for 1hr or until there's a loser and GG? And holy crap did anyone died from the pyrotechnics? they go off like every 10s, not everyone can do the MJ spin. i've always wondered about these types of commenting, when they're commenting do they just have a video pass through or clone of the two players and just look at both screens on what's going on and comment?

Offline Hydroid

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 03:20:31 »
It is a pretty complicated setup and I'm not 100% clear on the exact equipment they use, but from what I understand they have 2-3 spectator computers with capture cards so they can show any of them on screen at any point. You are never allowed to see the player's direct screens though. One of the computers is given to each of the commentating groups (English and Korean) and then there is the main spectator who usually controls what you see on the stream during the game. He doesn't commentate, but just shows what is happening for the commentators, and then the extra computer that they each have is for them to check up on other things that might be happening or get counts on units and building timings without it messing up the main stream.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 03:41:30 »
Quote from: Lanx;414761
yea i just saw a few vids on them commenting and the lights of the stage are in the camera. So i guess when i click on "videos" those are just the free stuff they throw out? man this tournament is wicked weird, they have two teams just come out and sit and then 1 from each team goes into i guess an isolation booth for 1hr or until there's a loser and GG? And holy crap did anyone died from the pyrotechnics? they go off like every 10s, not everyone can do the MJ spin. i've always wondered about these types of commenting, when they're commenting do they just have a video pass through or clone of the two players and just look at both screens on what's going on and comment?

GOM has two tournaments running simultaneously: a team league, and an individual league.  The team league works as you describe.  One team faces the other in a best of 3, 5, or 7 series.  Each team sends up one player at a time, and the winner stays.  Games typically do not last anywhere near an hour of real time (game time is faster than real time for some reason).  The VODs are typically 10-20 minutes long for each game, which includes some padding.  The first game is usually quite a bit longer

I think there actually was an incident with the pyrotechnics a few months ago, if memory serves.

Quote from: Hydroid;414767
It is a pretty complicated setup and I'm not 100% clear on the exact equipment they use, but from what I understand they have 2-3 spectator computers with capture cards so they can show any of them on screen at any point. You are never allowed to see the player's direct screens though.

The Korean commentators and Tastosis both have dedicated observers, plus Artosis is in-game too.  I imagine at least one of the Koreans is also in-game, plus a ref ... yielding something like 7 accounts in the game (counting the two players).  I really wish GOM would show some first-person player views like they do in OSL/MSL.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 08:07:17 »
Anyone have a video of the k pop girls?

Offline Hydroid

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 08:48:17 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;414819

Go to http://www.gomtv.net

Create account or sign in with facebook login.

Click Leagues

And watch the first segment of finals from the past events. Enjoy. It's GOMtv an actual TV channel in Korea so they don't upload their stuff to youtube, and if you want to watch the whole season you can just get a ticket for $10 per season.

TL;DR

Sorry, no the only way to get the videos is to sign up and watch on GOMtv

Offline peda

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 09:05:32 »
No need to sign up to watch Tue free ones. Only if you want to get the other content, which you have to pay for.

Offline Hydroid

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 16:15:04 »
Quote from: peda;414835
No need to sign up to watch Tue free ones. Only if you want to get the other content, which you have to pay for.

They made me sign up when I was new to SC2 and hadn't watched the GSL before, and I couldn't watch the first VOD without a login.

Offline Lanx

#GSL finals MVP vs Top
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 17:23:27 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;414819
youtube
no
seriously they all have their own "production" label channels, like for instance if you search on youtube for starshiptv you'll get the production/label company of sistar, since that's the only k-pop band i know, your gg girls are sment i think, i only know that cuz they're the same label as super junior (fiance likes to watch) heck maybe you'll like super junior, go watch super junior videos in chronological order and you get to see the "fat one" try really hard to loose weight. Heck just google super junior fat guy, and you'll get tons of threads.