Author Topic: Looking for a few switches! Also, SP Blank PBT keycaps, worth it?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline reaxas

Looking for a few switches! Also, SP Blank PBT keycaps, worth it?
« on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 11:52:56 »
I was looking around if I could see if anyone has any left over (specifically 4) Cherry MX Blue switches and 1 MX Clear switch with their respective springs? I'm looking only, but it's quite pricey for singular keys :/

I was also looking into buying this keycap set from SP (http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/dsa-blank-sets-1), can anyone tell me anything about them? What's the quality like? Is it worth it? I'm looking to buy enough for a 60% so I'm fairly sure I have to buy the standard and modifier sets. I was also thinking I'd have the standard keys white and the modifiers grey, but I was wondering if that was a good combination (:P)?

Thanks again!

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
Re: Looking for a few switches! Also, SP Blank PBT keycaps, worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 11:56:58 »
I personally didn't like those keycaps at all. They fit way too tightly on the stems and felt like you might pull a stem out of the housing when removing them. And the profile was horrendous. And the texture was... not good.

You'll probably find pretty quickly that keycaps are a personal thing: you'll find stuff you like and others won't. And vice versa. Personally, I like the stock PBT caps on the HHKB and the Imsto Cherry-profile thick PBT. I'm angling for my first set of GMK caps soon, too. And old double-shot Cherry caps with a bit of shine are nice, but different.

It's a big wide world. You'll likely end up buying a few sets and selling them until you find something that really fits you.

Offline reaxas

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 12:05:33 »
I personally didn't like those keycaps at all. They fit way too tightly on the stems and felt like you might pull a stem out of the housing when removing them. And the profile was horrendous. And the texture was... not good.

Yeah I've read that a few times as well! Do you have anything you personally would recommend in that colour pattern? Strictly speaking, it doesn't have to be both white or grey, either should do nicely,or any other muted colour!

I'm not sure where and what to look at is all, there are so many places!

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 12:16:56 »
Colors, eh? I'm not too picky, personally. I have an all light-blue set, a blue/grey set, a few white sets with different legends, some black caps, some yellow...

Again, personal preference.

I would say you should check out Imsto's stuff if you want high-quality and affordable. Check out some of the group buys for GMK sets if you want something a bit more interesting and costly. Like you said, there is a lot to look at. Good luck!

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 07:14:42 »
The reason why DSA is hard to pull off the stem is because they were designed so that if the keyboard is dropped, the keys will stay on.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 09:09:35 »
Many people (myself included) find DSA keycaps awkward to type on.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.