Author Topic: [IC] GMK Big Ass Enter Pack - Prep Work in Progress- Poll SOON  (Read 44476 times)

Offline jihadu

Re: [IC] GMK Big Ass Enter Pack
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 05:30:03 »
How's the survey going jihadu? I can't stop thinking about bae.   ^-^
19 respondents so far. 9009 is ruling the pack

Offline jihadu

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 06:29:59 »
I just got an OG Cherry set with BAE and I can confirm that it does not fit the mechanics of the ISO Enter. As previously reported, the vertical stems do not match in between the BAE and the ISO Enter keys. It implies that BAE requires a different PCB layout. Personally, I am disapointed because it means that no current sixty PCB in the market fits a BAE.
I would have to speak with them to figure out if a new mold is needed. The guy in customer service claims that the stem position is similar to ISO, but I'm sure that the manufacturing team knows better.

Meanwhile, I will launch a poll to figure out which stem position is favorable (ANSI will likely come on top)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 07:36:50 »
I just got an OG Cherry set with BAE and I can confirm that it does not fit the mechanics of the ISO Enter. As previously reported, the vertical stems do not match in between the BAE and the ISO Enter keys. It implies that BAE requires a different PCB layout. Personally, I am disapointed because it means that no current sixty PCB in the market fits a BAE.
I would have to speak with them to figure out if a new mold is needed. The guy in customer service claims that the stem position is similar to ISO, but I'm sure that the manufacturing team knows better.

Meanwhile, I will launch a poll to figure out which stem position is favorable (ANSI will likely come on top)

A compatible mold with, either, ANSI or ISO stem positions is required to make this viable. I see no-one interested in getting a new PCB or keyboard just to use a BAE.

Offline pomk

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 08:26:38 »

It is _similar_, just shifted by some millimeter to the left.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 09:36:11 »

The shift, while small, requires a different mold, not matter how small the difference is.

Offline pomk

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 09:48:27 »

The shift, while small, requires a different mold, not matter how small the difference is.
I know that, thanks. Just pointing out that the wording used by GMK is valid. "The guy in customer service claims that the stem position is similar to ISO"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 09:53:13 »

I know that, thanks. Just pointing out that the wording used by GMK is valid. "The guy in customer service claims that the stem position is similar to ISO"

Semantically, maybe. But, for practical use of the available BAE, it should fit exactly the stem's positions of either an ANSI or an ISO enter keys.

Offline jihadu

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 11:23:58 »

Semantically, maybe. But, for practical use of the available BAE, it should fit exactly the stem's positions of either an ANSI or an ISO enter keys.
Exactly. If the BAE is slightly off stabilizer wise, It becomes impossible to use on standard boards. This limits it right away to the handful of people looking to use custom keycaps on old boards and given the MOQ, means this will be dead in the water

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 11:33:14 »
Please update the first post so that it does not convey incorrect information about ISO compatibility.

Offline jihadu

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 12:53:25 »
Please update the first post so that it does not convey incorrect information about ISO compatibility.
Fixed!
I've also added some info. I should know MOQ and what variety of 1 u backspace keys are available soon and I will update the main post as we go along.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 October 2017, 12:55:07 by jihadu »

Offline jihadu

Re: [IC] GMK Big Ass Enter Pack - New poll is up
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 04:12:56 »
The new poll is up. I still have no receive no answer from GMK

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 08:06:59 »
The BAE is so retro that it is a-must-have key for any serious keyboard aficionado. Even if you do not use it, it is like an icon for the era mechanical keyboards reign in the input devices landscape.

Offline Calza

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 11:18:53 »
any idea on timings?
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 October 2017, 11:45:00 by Calza »

Offline jihadu

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 07:04:28 »
any idea on timings?
I would prefer running around jan/february 2018 and shipping later that summer. Right now I'm in uni and I don't have the time, but running this in my winter break would give me some peace of mind.

Offline jihadu

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 07:52:03 »
The BAE is so retro that it is a-must-have key for any serious keyboard aficionado. Even if you do not use it, it is like an icon for the era mechanical keyboards reign in the input devices landscape.
This. I daily drive an ISO, but I love the BAE because its just so f*ing cool.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 07:54:25 »
This. I daily drive an ISO, but I love the BAE because its just so f*ing cool.

:thumb:

Offline jihadu

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 04:55:05 »
Still no answer from GMK  :(

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 12:09:13 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 18:03:41 »
Just found this, very interested if for nothing else but the meme. I saw you've had issues contacting GMK, I was going to suggest emailing Michael but it looks like you have. If they don't reply to the support ticket email (zendeskxxxx@uniqey or something) find his direct email in one of his replies and send to that.

Offline jihadu

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 03:17:18 »
Usually GMK takes a while to respond, so I won't fault them for it. I'd would wager we are not very high in their priorities for now.  Plus I've asked a whole bunch of questions that only someone in manufacturing could answer.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 07:19:37 »
It's OK, we can always wait, for something like this that would make our keyboards the real sh....

Offline jihadu

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 06:42:17 »
I've not yet received an answer from GMK. I'm working on getting a Reddit IC thread together, that should get us some more eyeballs .
Meanwhile I think we need a render. I'm inclined to get a render of 9009 in pink, but if you guys want to see some other keysets, leave them below

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 13:05:08 »
I feel like your survey results should tell you what other sets to render ;P

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 00:24:53 »
Almost winter break... let's make this GB happen!

Offline dbme

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 06:14:06 »
Slight bump with a question:

what kind of BAE would it be possible to install on XD87?
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95500.0

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 15:56:57 »
By the picture, it seems that the XD has standard switch positions for ANSI and ISO. There is no BAE available that fits either. You would need a redesigned ISO compatible BAE. The one this thread is about.

Offline dbme

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 09:11:27 »
Is it pricey for GMK to create a custom key cap?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 19:34:57 »
Dunno. But, the existing molds could be retooled to relocate the stems. Yet, only GMK could quote it.

Offline spakecdk

• Browns are best
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 13:28:50 »
I need dis.

Offline Hapi

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 17:47:24 »
+1

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 19:24:04 »
Someone has resurrected this project. I am sure it is completly dead now.

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 19:40:49 »
Where in THE hell would this fit on a keyboard?  :)) Also why does this idea exist? Am I missing a backstory? I saw this out of sheer chance and was curious.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 20:22:05 »
If the BAE stems are fitted over ISO, this may be used on any Euro keyboard. The key beside the ISO Enter should be sacrificed, of course.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 July 2020, 20:23:45 by ideus »

Offline jihadu

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 08:59:32 »
Where in THE hell would this fit on a keyboard?  :)) Also why does this idea exist? Am I missing a backstory? I saw this out of sheer chance and was curious.
It's basically an enter format popular on alps keyboards and some OEM's. Cherry made a couple of boards using it but it was not super popular and ended up ditching it for a standard backspace and ISO/ANSI enters.

The Cherry/GMK mold exists but its not compatible with modern ISO boards(the stabilizer inserts are centered on the 1.5 upper half and are on a top bottom arrangement-as opposed to a horizontal arrangement in ANSI or a 1.25 centered top bottom ISO cap ).

Running this would need new molds to make it compatible with modern keyboards. At the time, I didn't think there was enough demand to invest in new molds(which are quite pricy and would require a large MOQ to be feasible).

I think it might be time to restart the IC. I'll need to dust up my rendering skills.

Also does anyone know a good survey site btw? Google forms kinda sucked last time I used it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Offline udller

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 11:15:49 »
i would buy this in a heart beat if it ends up running. if new molds have to be made i think it would help it be ansi + the top key compared to iso + the left key. fixed layout boards arnt great always.

Offline dbme

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 06:25:26 »
tai-hao BAE keys for SteelSeries 6gV2 (leftovers selling on aliexpress - https://aliexpress.com/item/32824755255.html) would sit perfectly on a ANSI keyboard, they use ANSI Enter stem and the top "stem" corresponds to backslash switch position.

I call it the top "stem" because it's not a stem but long tube, that on 6gV2 went to water well like hole installed instead of ANSI backslash switch.

So if the GMK BAE mold will be finally created, I suppose it should sit on a ANSI Enter and backslash switches...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 09:30:53 »
tai-hao BAE keys for SteelSeries 6gV2 (leftovers selling on aliexpress - https://aliexpress.com/item/32824755255.html) would sit perfectly on a ANSI keyboard, they use ANSI Enter stem and the top "stem" corresponds to backslash switch position.

I call it the top "stem" because it's not a stem but long tube, that on 6gV2 went to water well like hole installed instead of ANSI backslash switch.

So if the GMK BAE mold will be finally created, I suppose it should sit on a ANSI Enter and backslash switches...

Tai-Hao's an ANSI BAE. This thread is for an ISO BAE. Different stem positions for each one. Tai-Hao's may have broader appeal though.

Offline jihadu

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 06:01:43 »
I'm more inclined to go for the ANSI BAE route, it's a wider market and for a niche group buy it I'll help lower the cost for everyone.

Offline jihadu

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 06:04:10 »
I'll include it in a new IC Form, which should go up either today or tomorrow

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 05:36:05 »
Early Commodore boards and many pre PC standard boards used BAE layouts.  It would be very cool to have the option to fit this to any existing ISO layout board.  I am very interested if this can actually be produced.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 12:11:56 »
I'm more inclined to go for the ANSI BAE route, it's a wider market and for a niche group buy it I'll help lower the cost for everyone.

I agree that ANSI BAE would get MoQ easily. I may join either one in basic colors like Beige, Black and Dolch, some classic highlight ones would be great as well.

Offline BirgusLatro

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 12:36:37 »
Can the "Reverse L" or "slim ass" Enter get into this set somehow?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 12:47:43 »
Can the "Reverse L" or "slim ass" Enter get into this set somehow?

You mean this one? I'm sure the mold is available.

Offline BirgusLatro

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 01:30:56 »
No. I mean this enter key:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 07:53:34 »
No. I mean this enter key:
Show Image

That's nice. I haven't seen one. What keyboard is that?

Offline jihadu

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 04:36:38 »
Hi guys. Sorry for constantly necroing this thread. Life keeps on getting in the way. Here are some of my renders so far:

Much like the actual Violet Tendencies, it's incredibly hard to see the mods
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2020, 05:38:37 by jihadu »

Offline jihadu

Re: [IC] GMK Big Ass Enter Pack - Prep Work in Progress- Poll SOON
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 06:07:44 »
That White shift tho

Enviado do meu SM-A505FN através do Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 08:14:59 »
There was a time when I was very interested in this. Now my layouts have moved to ANSI. Still, I use one with ISO Enter. The ANSI has the advantage that it can have a short backspace on top of it, instead of the big ass.
This is my upcoming build. My own interpretation of an International Danish layout.

Offline udller

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 09:21:42 »
id love to have a bae for my violet tendencies, but would a white shift be avaiuliable as an extra? haha. i still hope this gets made some day. maybe contact rama and get an aluminium version made?