Author Topic: Model F F62 & F77  (Read 8363 times)

Offline diazel

Model F F62 & F77
« on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 07:18:32 »
Okay so I just received my brand new F62 & F77 from Joe and I don't know how else to say this....

I could not love this thing anymore than I do. It's incredible. For all the keyboards, for all the switches I've tried, I finally understand why the Model F is considered one of the best typing experiences you can ask for.

The sheer weight of them is astounding. My fiancée asked to see this super expensive keyboard I bought and I handed her the F77 and she almost dropped it when I let go. I also might have omitted that I bought two in a moment of weakness when I thought I'd regret not having the numpad on the side.

I got the beige F62 and industrial gray F77 and at first glance, the industrial gray looked so much better but the longer I sit in front of it, the more I'm coming around to the beige as it matches better with the buttons that it came with. The only way I can describe it is "vintage clean".

The sounds this thing makes is epic. As someone who sits in a home office alone 90% of my workday, you'd think the loud noise wouldn't be a factor. I've typed on keyboards before while on conference calls and not had it been too bad. That is simply not the case here. Every single person I've been on conference call this week have all commented on the 'enhanced' noise. So whenever there are other ears "present", I have to rely on my KVM and pulling in a silent killer. But when it's just me? Holy ****. I never thought I would love it as much as I do. My models seem to have a decent amount of spring sing and I've seen a number of youtube videos employing the floss mod to quiet it so I figured if my model had it, I'd mod it because I didn't like the spring sounds I'd heard so often through Chyro's videos or demos even of this board. There's no chance of me doing that now. While wearing my headset, it is the perfect combination of music [from the springs] and actual music.

Literally the only part that I could possibly have anything to complain about would be the USB cable it came with. They both came with super long cords but one was sheathed and the other straight plastic. I hate both of them. But they're super easy to replace. So I can barely complain about that as well.

Overall, very well done, Joe. I had moments of panic after dropping that kind of money on a switch type that I had never even experienced--I have a M122 and Lexmark Model M sans buckling springs boards but they're nowhere near this. Joe was super responsive with all of his correspondence and answered all my questions and even went above and beyond in explaining simple stuff to me that was clearly on his website had I taken the time to read it all properly instead of being hasty in my excitement. Joe is awesome. Model F Keyboards is awesome. This keyboard is awesome.

Alright, I'm off to respond to all these work emails coming in with a big smile on my face. :)

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
Re: Model F F62 & F77
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 18:00:36 »
Okay so I just received my brand new F62 & F77 from Joe and I don't know how else to say this....

I could not love this thing anymore than I do. It's incredible. For all the keyboards, for all the switches I've tried, I finally understand why the Model F is considered one of the best typing experiences you can ask for.

The sheer weight of them is astounding. My fiancée asked to see this super expensive keyboard I bought and I handed her the F77 and she almost dropped it when I let go. I also might have omitted that I bought two in a moment of weakness when I thought I'd regret not having the numpad on the side.

I got the beige F62 and industrial gray F77 and at first glance, the industrial gray looked so much better but the longer I sit in front of it, the more I'm coming around to the beige as it matches better with the buttons that it came with. The only way I can describe it is "vintage clean".

The sounds this thing makes is epic. As someone who sits in a home office alone 90% of my workday, you'd think the loud noise wouldn't be a factor. I've typed on keyboards before while on conference calls and not had it been too bad. That is simply not the case here. Every single person I've been on conference call this week have all commented on the 'enhanced' noise. So whenever there are other ears "present", I have to rely on my KVM and pulling in a silent killer. But when it's just me? Holy ****. I never thought I would love it as much as I do. My models seem to have a decent amount of spring sing and I've seen a number of youtube videos employing the floss mod to quiet it so I figured if my model had it, I'd mod it because I didn't like the spring sounds I'd heard so often through Chyro's videos or demos even of this board. There's no chance of me doing that now. While wearing my headset, it is the perfect combination of music [from the springs] and actual music.

Literally the only part that I could possibly have anything to complain about would be the USB cable it came with. They both came with super long cords but one was sheathed and the other straight plastic. I hate both of them. But they're super easy to replace. So I can barely complain about that as well.

Overall, very well done, Joe. I had moments of panic after dropping that kind of money on a switch type that I had never even experienced--I have a M122 and Lexmark Model M sans buckling springs boards but they're nowhere near this. Joe was super responsive with all of his correspondence and answered all my questions and even went above and beyond in explaining simple stuff to me that was clearly on his website had I taken the time to read it all properly instead of being hasty in my excitement. Joe is awesome. Model F Keyboards is awesome. This keyboard is awesome.

Alright, I'm off to respond to all these work emails coming in with a big smile on my face. :)

Thanks for the kind words diazel; glad your keyboards arrived safely and you are putting them to good use!

Please do copy your post to the project thread if you don't mind so more people can see it! 

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79141.msg2971603#msg2971603

Offline Tseg

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 March 2024, 07:18:28 »
I may be a few hours late to this party, but my F77 just shipped to me.  I'm looking forward to the typing experience.  The great thing about classic experiences or classic visuals is they do remain timeless.   I just shake my head at some of these newer boards coming out with tiny LED screens on them.

Offline Tseg

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 March 2024, 19:34:11 »
Well, she arrived today.  What a beauty the F77 is. After getting it all set up I was on about my 5th typing test and hit my all time speed record.  It feels so good and sounds so raw.  I love the 9#'s of weight (without a weight) and it's old school finish.  There was such a flurry of forum posts when this came out a few years back but really crickets for several years.  Being on sale, I think they are a good value.  I received just a few weeks after ordering.  Key assembly took a bit of time... I had 2 or 3 keys I had to redo to work properly.  The mapping of the Num Key button wasn't working right out of the box so a few minutes to get that straight.  But now it runs like a top.  I love the old school springy sound... you don't know spring ping until you've had a Model F.  No amount of 205G is going to make it thocc.  This was a very rewarding purchase.

Offline clay

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 03:14:25 »
I have been planning to buy this board for the longest time, however cost is a major factor that hinders me from pushing through. Will probably place an order soon when supplies are finally "running out".