Author Topic: [IC] GMK Metropolis - (2.28 - Updated Proxies info/prices) | GB Launches 3/25!  (Read 114879 times)

Offline SlamMakanen

Re: [IC] GMK Metropolis - (12.9 Update - Color Comparisons, Mini Mat)
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 15:02:15 »
Perhaps change the ISO enter on the base kit to the same teal as the ANSI? Especially since it's dark on the midnight kit.

With that change and depending on bank balance I'm in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s already in the base kit? Or am I missing something?

Actually, I'm blind. Ignore me!

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 06:31:01 »
Any eta on more renders?

VERY soon  ;D
So how soon is very soon? :) Can’t wait for this set!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 00:21:36 »
What's the possibility of getting the other color options added for the split spacebars?

Offline nephlock

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 10:12:37 »
What's the possibility of getting the other color options added for the split spacebars?

Unfortunately.... there isn't one. Sorry. Adding red and teal for the split spacebars would almost double the number of caps, increasing the price of the kit too much for me to feel comfortable.

Offline Abec13

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 23:28:26 »
Is there absolutely zero chance of a 40s kit?
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 03:10:25 »
What is the estimated timeline for this moving to GB stage?

Offline Hutch

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 09:06:52 »
I'm in.

Offline nephlock

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 10:33:47 »

Currently aiming at late Q1, early Q2. But waiting on a few things before a date can be finalized

Not zero. I have a 40s kit made out, but right now i'm talking with people on the viability of it making MOQ. A few examples...

The GMK Space Cadet buy on MD only made 95/100 on its 40's kit (which was a $129 standalone kit), and the recently completed GMK DMG from TheKeyCompany only hit 39/100 on the 40's kit—Requiring TKC to buy out the remaining 60+ kits to get them produced. Generous of him, but we may not be in the same position should we come up that short. Currently as it stands the IC survey for this set, only had 37 people ask for a 40's kit. This leaves us VERY short, even with the assumption that everyone  who answered is in a position to join.

It is not my intention to dismiss those asking for the kit, but hopefully that adds a little light for those asking.

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 16:35:55 »

Currently aiming at late Q1, early Q2. But waiting on a few things before a date can be finalized

Not zero. I have a 40s kit made out, but right now i'm talking with people on the viability of it making MOQ. A few examples...

The GMK Space Cadet buy on MD only made 95/100 on its 40's kit (which was a $129 standalone kit), and the recently completed GMK DMG from TheKeyCompany only hit 39/100 on the 40's kit—Requiring TKC to buy out the remaining 60+ kits to get them produced. Generous of him, but we may not be in the same position should we come up that short. Currently as it stands the IC survey for this set, only had 37 people ask for a 40's kit. This leaves us VERY short, even with the assumption that everyone  who answered is in a position to join.

It is not my intention to dismiss those asking for the kit, but hopefully that adds a little light for those asking.
Is there any harm in offering the 40s kit and cancelling it if there isn’t enough interest? I definitely understand not footing the bill for the unpurchased kits but think it should at least have a chance.

Offline nephlock

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 17:10:52 »
Is there any harm in offering the 40s kit and cancelling it if there isn’t enough interest? I definitely understand not footing the bill for the unpurchased kits but think it should at least have a chance.

Not inherently. But because a 40's kit would require the commitment to a base kit as well, it can create a predicament. So for example, say the base kit makes MOQ to 260, but 40 of those are people who back out because the 40s kit didn't make it... it takes the base kit back below the MOQ threshold by 30 kits. Leaving those in the base thinking it was going to make it, and then having it not. This would mean either footing the bill for the difference in base kit, or footing the bill to get MOQ on the 40s kit, which might end up being around the same price. My guess is that this is what happened with the GMK DMG buy.

Transparently... by the numbers in the IC survey there is little chance of the 40s kit making it to full MOQ, so it really comes down to if there is enough interest in vendor/proxies/etc. buying the extras. Right now i am talking with a few people to see about the risk on this, and that will determine whether a 40's kit gets added.

Again, hopefully this helps give some context for those in the limbo. Doin what i can peeps.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2019, 17:31:58 by nephlock »

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #160 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 10:59:58 »
Not inherently. But because a 40's kit would require the commitment to a base kit as well, it can create a predicament. So for example, say the base kit makes MOQ to 260, but 40 of those are people who back out because the 40s kit didn't make it... it takes the base kit back below the MOQ threshold by 30 kits. Leaving those in the base thinking it was going to make it, and then having it not. This would mean either footing the bill for the difference in base kit, or footing the bill to get MOQ on the 40s kit, which might end up being around the same price. My guess is that this is what happened with the GMK DMG buy.

Transparently... by the numbers in the IC survey there is little chance of the 40s kit making it to full MOQ, so it really comes down to if there is enough interest in vendor/proxies/etc. buying the extras. Right now i am talking with a few people to see about the risk on this, and that will determine whether a 40's kit gets added.

Again, hopefully this helps give some context for those in the limbo. Doin what i can peeps.

I really think the main issue boils down to the price of the 40's kits.  I completely get how GMK needs to justify the cost to make those types of keys, but damn if that isn't the real turn off.
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline zzzaacchh

« Reply #161 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 12:16:46 »

The Assembly Base Kits that have been offered recently have solved this problem by grouping Ergodox and 40's users with their own base kit, so if it fails, the main base kit will still be supported. Check out the Assembly kit in Oblivion V2 for reference.

Edit: Never mind on the 40 bit kit, I just saw your previous post mentioning Space Cadet
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 January 2019, 16:09:08 by zzzaacchh »

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 19:01:34 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 January 2019, 20:06:57 by tex_live_utility »
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline dimo

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 19:27:43 »
Do you think it’ll hit gb in Q1?

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #164 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 19:46:26 »

Offline dimo

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 23:38:05 »

Thanks! I'll be waiting for those renders  ;)

Offline omjak

« Reply #166 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 15:32:08 »
Initially, I didn't care for the Midnight mods... but now I realize that it beautifully represents "midnight" looking quiet/calm/peaceful

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #167 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 11:25:30 »
This looks amazing. Interested in seeing a price point before saying I'd commit though; lots of amazing sets coming out in these first few months

Offline nephlock

« Reply #168 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 14:37:21 »
Thanks! I'll be waiting for those renders  ;)

Renders are updated! Was planning on posting earlier but i've been sick for the last bit. Thanks for the patience all!

Offline mrpetrov

Re: [IC] GMK Metropolis - (2.3 Update - Deskmat samples and RENDERS!)
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 14:40:12 »
This IC has been awarded MUST HAVE status.

Renders look brilliant and I think that may well be the best desk mat I have ever seen for my taste.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #170 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 14:53:30 »
2.3.2019 UPDATE
Renders are in! A big thank you to Oblotsky for his talented work on these!

Oblotsky vs Oblotzky

Offline nephlock

« Reply #171 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 14:57:32 »
Oblotsky vs Oblotzky

LOL OOPS, fixed! We can't have any impostors runnin around!

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #172 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 15:08:36 »
Oh man those renders have me feeling some type of way.

Offline mnpq.raven

« Reply #173 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 16:34:05 »
ok i buy

Offline upas

« Reply #174 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 16:51:42 »
Any chance we could get R3 and R4 PgUp and PgDn added?

Offline doubleone44

« Reply #175 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 16:59:47 »
any chance for an ortho kit? I know it's unlikely but the set looks so good

Offline dimo

[IC] GMK Metropolis - (2.3 Update - Deskmat samples and RENDERS!)
« Reply #176 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 17:01:29 »
hell yes. Renders look better than I could’ve imagined. Definitely will be in (:

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #177 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 17:14:50 »

This please or 1U novelties per row if possible.

I will be picking up a set for sure!

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #178 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 22:11:46 »
I am very sad that the 2u shift was removed.

Also, is it just me or is the photograph of the physical 5395c pantone pretty much just black? Is this the same thing that happened with Solarized Dark? As of right now, if GMK is matching to that physical pantone, the renders are not going to be representative of the final product.

I don't know the ins and outs of picking pantones, but to my eyes, this color seems to be more representative of the renders.

Offline RamenTechMech

« Reply #179 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 22:16:12 »
Oof, these look fantastic  :cool:

Can't wait for GB now  :thumb:

Offline nephlock

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 22:20:21 »
I am very sad that the 2u shift was removed.

Also, is it just me or is the photograph of the physical 5395c pantone pretty much just black? Is this the same thing that happened with Solarized Dark? As of right now, if GMK is matching to that physical pantone, the renders are not going to be representative of the final product.

I don't know the ins and outs of picking pantones, but to my eyes, this color seems to be more representative of the renders.

The chip is dark, but is definitely not black (there is another comparison shot of the chip alongside black on pg.3). The renders are what are being shot for, and the swatch is in line with those. Don't worry, we will be going through physical samples from the factory to make sure it gets done correctly, and I have heard from GMK that they are not overly concerned with hitting it.

Offline nephlock

« Reply #181 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 22:24:07 »

Unfortunately that would start adding too many keys per kit, but in the Signs novelties there are enough 1Us on each row to cover a full 65/75% column :)

Offline rejuvienate

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 01:29:12 »
Not sure if this has been asked, but any chance of the "traffic light colour" polished novelty keycap collab with RAMA? The shiny finish

Offline synchromatik

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 03:39:05 »
Thic color scheme is so smart. It goes well with darker and lighter cases, and also colored Novelties can compliment large range of color cases.

I want it all. In 100%. ANy EU Proxies posible?
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 February 2019, 03:41:23 by synchromatik »

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #184 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 05:48:29 »
Nice renders. Do have a comparison with actual samples (when you have it) like the current album with swatches, if it is not in your plan already.

In terms of lighting, you may want to aim to get “render-correct” colors in indoor lighting, instead of direct sun.

Would watch this with great interest

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 08:39:31 »
I don’t get why the 2u Shift was dropped, this kind of layout is more and more popular. I myself have 2 boards with a 2u Shift key. If you can please consider putting it back. I love this key set otherwise!

Offline mnpq.raven

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 08:41:26 »
I don’t get why the 2u Shift was dropped, this kind of layout is more and more popular. I myself have 2 boards with a 2u Shift key. If you can please consider putting it back. I love this key set otherwise!
2u shift is still a very minor layout

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline upas

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 09:00:18 »

Unfortunately that would start adding too many keys per kit, but in the Signs novelties there are enough 1Us on each row to cover a full 65/75% column :)

Given that there are enough novelties to fill the 65/75% extra column, I no longer think R3 and R4 pgup/pgdn are necessary anymore :)

For me, as long as there is one or the other, I feel like the sets are complete. Sure, you have to buy novelties now, but they add flair to these sets and I end up buying them anyways 90% of the time.

Offline Mekuno

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 10:57:53 »
Would it be possible to add the street sign enter novelty in teal color as well?

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
« Reply #189 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 15:15:27 »
Gonna be stalking this drop for sure..
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline nephlock

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 10:48:47 »
Would it be possible to add the street sign enter novelty in teal color as well?

Unfortunately the novelty kit is already a bit bigger than i feel it should be. So, in the interest of the kit price i wont be adding any more caps to it.

Offline jvangorkum

« Reply #191 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 01:40:46 »
This set really looks amazing! What is the color code for the keycaps? I want to know how this would fit on a dark solarized 65-a. Thanks!

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #192 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 05:30:03 »
This set really looks amazing! What is the color code for the keycaps? I want to know how this would fit on a dark solarized 65-a. Thanks!

He's using Pantone swatched to match, you can see them in the first post if you scroll down a bit.

Offline keebitup

« Reply #193 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 07:27:03 »

The Assembly Base Kits that have been offered recently have solved this problem by grouping Ergodox and 40's users with their own base kit, so if it fails, the main base kit will still be supported. Check out the Assembly kit in Oblivion V2 for reference.

Edit: Never mind on the 40 bit kit, I just saw your previous post mentioning Space Cadet
i really enjoy the colors in this set, but I use ortho boards. So I tried to see how to assemble a planck layout with base and the novelties, and find it hard to visualize. Any chance for a render? I was thinking about the following:
R2 left: teal R2 novelty, R2 right: Del
R3 left: R3 orange novelty, R3 right: normal '"
R4 left: R4 red novelty?, R4 right: red super??? (or end, but both not ideal. end would keep the right modifiers all alpha case color though)
R4: ctrl, code, alt, super, red ring novelty, 2u numpad 0, teal R4 novelty, cursors

I have the feeling this will be quite colorful, and I'm not super happy about the enter and 2u. But this would have the "traffic light" on the left modifier side. Anyone came up with something better?

/edit: accented cursor keys could actually be used as lower/raise and return, so the only issue is the missing 2u spacebar
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 February 2019, 02:52:53 by keebitup »

Offline JPVann

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 10:48:38 »
Nephlok - Thank You for the detailed information, concise answers and professional (yep!) way you've handled this IC and explained things.  Looking forward to the GB!

Offline iaman

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 11:14:00 »
Nephlok - Thank You for the detailed information, concise answers and professional (yep!) way you've handled this IC and explained things.  Looking forward to the GB!

Yeah, this is honestly one of the nicest-run ICs I've seen. Neph is very receptive and communicative. I love this thread.

Offline geekit

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 09:03:55 »
Whether I buy or not depends on the price, but I have to agree with some posters that losing the 2U shift is a bit unfortunate.

Any 2U R4 novelties can be used instead - ideally with red legend as well?

Offline nephlock

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 10:19:20 »

Yeah, this is honestly one of the nicest-run ICs I've seen. Neph is very receptive and communicative. I love this thread.

Thank you for the compliments!

Whether I buy or not depends on the price, but I have to agree with some posters that losing the 2U shift is a bit unfortunate.

Any 2U R4 novelties can be used instead - ideally with red legend as well?

Unfortunately the novelties are not going to be added to, due to pricing, but there is a 2uc in the spacebars kit, or always the option to use numpad 0. I realize neither of these are ideal, but in my goal to keep kit prices on the low end some of the less common layouts could not receive accurate legend caps.

Offline RamenTechMech

« Reply #198 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 10:45:44 »
Oof, that is unfortunate that the Novelties are not being sold  :'(

But still looking forward for this keyset!  :thumb:

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 10:47:31 »
Oof, that is unfortunate that the Novelties are not being sold  :'(

But still looking forward for this keyset!  :thumb:
I believe he is saying that Novelties kit will be sold as is, with no more addition of keys to it.

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me