Author Topic: Built keeb with boba U4T or get a realforce topre?  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Marilyn lin

Built keeb with boba U4T or get a realforce topre?
« on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 08:47:59 »
im planning to buy another keeb, currently using prebuilt kb with gateron brown
actually im eyeing a topre board for a long time ago still dont have chance to try it till now and it makes me curious about how topre feel like
then comes boba U4T which also makes me curious.
for topre im about to buy realforce R2 55g (about 250$)
and for built
-DZ60 V2 ANSI RGB Hotswap
-Gazzew Boba U4T
-Custom Polycarbonate plate
-Custom Acrylic Case
-Durock pcb screw in stabs
-Cubic profile tai hao keycaps (all cost about 200$)

now i dont know which one should i go, or which one worth for the money since this is not cheap..the hotswap feature is nice (easy to replace damaged switch?) but i also never seen a failed topre board either.

Offline Leopard223

Re: Built keeb with boba U4T or get a realforce topre?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 10:15:47 »
I dont have experience with what you mentioned aside for the U4T switches, FWIW the switch itself is fantastic, the quality is felt with this one, the housing is tight even after opening the switch, no leaf/spring noise and the tactility is pleasing, with it's releativly low price it really puts to shame other brands.
Though it's a "Holy Panda type" switch, short travel with less linear travel after the bump and loud bang on the housing, AFAIK it's very different from Topre.

People love Topre and from the looks of it and the force curves I've seen it seems like interesting stuff, though I havn't had the chance to try it (maybe one day..).
The biggest pro of the DZ60 build is that you could always change the parts mainly the switches.

Offline Keybadger

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 11:45:41 »
Hako Clears were meant to feel like Topre 45g, I dont think they feel like it though personally, also I've read Boba U4 housing with holy panda stems feels a bit like it, but if you are set on a Topre, your best bet is just get a Topre, you wont be second guessing yourself if it feels right or not.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 April 2021, 11:52:00 by Keybadger »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 18:26:39 »
No MX switch feels like Topre, but the original U4 Boba switches mentioned here are relatively close.

You could get some in 62, 68, and maybe even 55 and see whatever feels best to you.

Offline chiefmatex

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 19:33:02 »
No MX switch feels like Topre, but the original U4 Boba switches mentioned here are relatively close.

You could get some in 62, 68, and maybe even 55 and see whatever feels best to you.

i (and another friend who has an old realforce with silenced 55g) agrees with this. we feel boba u4 feels close to the topre experience. although is also good to have a topre board in the collection, a board with boba u4 would be a good alternative

Offline Marilyn lin

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 02:26:40 »
thanks guys for the reply , seem like im gonna go with realforce r2 55g
after read ton of post about topre board and realforce r2 looks like the topre feel is very different experience than mx clone switch

Offline jamster

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 06:41:29 »
after read ton of post about topre board and realforce r2 looks like the topre feel is very different experience than mx clone switch

IMO Topre 55g is pretty unbeatable. I'm finding it hard to go back to my MX-based boards.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 09:42:18 »

IMO Topre 55g is pretty unbeatable. I'm finding it hard to go back to my MX-based boards.

I'm not usually a tactile guy to begin with, but of the switches I have tried, I agree. If I needed to use a tactile at all, my 55g Topre board or some Matias "quiet clicks" are my favorites (for modern production switches). I even lean towards good old dome with slider boards over MX and clones for tactiles. I haven't tried any of the fancy boutique MX clones though, unless Everglides and/or Halo trues count. MX feels unpleasantly plasticky and Topre feels like the smoothest, most refined rubber dome you've ever felt ... which is actually a lot better than it may sound on the surface.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 17:31:46 »
Yeah, rubber-dome is an economically-efficient way of generating tactility, it doesn't deserve the hate it gets. [Except for all those cheaply-built doormat boards, which have hurt its reputation and spurred the growth of MX recently.].

Topre 55 really feel luxurious. I don't need anything that luxurious and rich, but if I did, it would be my first stop.